Is Carlos Tevez one of the all-time greats?

Spaghetti

Mom's
Henning Berg is a daft comparisson.

You're talking about a player who has played for Man United, Man City and Juventus. Winning the leagues with everyone and being top scorer in both leagues. Captained Man City and Juventus too.

In City and Juventus he was sublime and world class.

He also singelhandely saved West ham from relegation, after coming over from South America at the age of 21/22. This without any knowledge of the language and without family.

His story is quite remarkable
Without Berg, we wouldn’t have won the Champions League in 1999. He is also one of very few players to win the league with more than one team. He, also, was never one of the best players in the team. That is what I mean.

Tevez scored 7 in 26 league games for West Ham. He was inspirational for them at the end of that season, but “single-handedly” it wasn’t.

Was he ever the star man in the team when he played in England or Italy? It’s a genuine question. He wasn’t at United, I don’t think he was at City. Maybe at WHU although he only really played for a couple of months. Juve?

Either way, it’s a no from me.

Zlatattack

You must be joking? One of the best Argentina ever produced? How many one of the best when they have produced probably the two of the best best players ever to play football in the world. Aguero is also a better player than him. I would rate players like Ardiles above him too and many other players like Caniggia and Batistuta above him too.
It's near impossible to surpass Messi and Maradona, but I'm sure he'd make top 20 Argentinian footballers.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He was the best player in serie A by miles, so yes, he has been the star man in a top league. Also their star man in the CL run to the final

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He had this infectious energy that could lift the whole team. Pretty much won most things playing a major part and add in his background and path to professional football his career is quite a story. Not in the very top tiers of strikers but was a great player overall imo.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Serie A footballer of the year too right? yet "not even the best player, Probably not even close to being so" apparently eh @Spaghetti? People really do love to spout garbage.
Yes, in '15 though keep in mind nobody cares about the award in italy and since they tried to turn it into a PR/money stunt we've had some bizarre winners. I mean Bonucci won the year Higuain broke the single-season scoring record :lol:

Tevez was the best player in the league both years i think. He was the catalyst for juventus 102 points season. In 14/15 he was arguably a top 5 player in the world though, so yeah

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
All time great is too generous, but he's been a world class player for a huge chunk of his career and been massively successful even to the current day. Definitely one of the top players in his era.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Yes, in '15 though keep in mind nobody cares about the award in italy and since they tried to turn it into a PR/money stunt we've had some bizarre winners. I mean Bonucci won the year Higuain broke the single-season scoring record :lol:

Tevez was the best player in the league both years i think. He was the catalyst for juventus 102 points season. In 14/15 he was arguably a top 5 player in the world though, so yeah
Fecking hell.

Andersonson

Without Berg, we wouldn’t have won the Champions League in 1999. He is also one of very few players to win the league with more than one team. He, also, was never one of the best players in the team. That is what I mean.

Tevez scored 7 in 26 league games for West Ham. He was inspirational for them at the end of that season, but “single-handedly” it wasn’t.

Was he ever the star man in the team when he played in England or Italy? It’s a genuine question. He wasn’t at United, I don’t think he was at City. Maybe at WHU although he only really played for a couple of months. Juve?

Either way, it’s a no from me.
He was without a question Man City's best player for a couple of seasons and also juve's.

Its quite clear you didnt watch him much at Man City or Juventus, singel you ask those questions. So why are you debating?

arthurka

He was without a question Man City's best player for a couple of seasons and also juve's.

Its quite clear you didnt watch him much at Man City or Juventus, singel you ask those questions. So why are you debating?
Does him being a grade A cnut not count for him to be ruled out?

mu4c_20le

Just shows the gulf in quality between our clubs back then, he wasn't even our first or second choice. He left because he wasn't willing to fight for his place. He had two great seasons for City before dropping off because his heart was no longer in it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just shows the gulf in quality between our clubs back then, he wasn't even our first or second choice. He left because he wasn't willing to fight for his place. He had two great seasons for City before dropping off because his heart was no longer in it.
He also improved massively. He looked a bit leaner. When he went to Italy he was told he’s been overweight his whole career; lost weight and we saw the best of Tevez in my opinion.

SER19

God no. There's the upper echelon of players he's obviously nowhere near (Messi, Maradona, cruyff, ronaldos) then a second tier of far superior players too.

He's just one of many many very talented guys who had a successful career.

Nowhere near an all time great. Has never been the best player at a top club, and never been a world class player.

fantastic squad player to have around, and he was a tenacious player, and had a really good career.

Maybe considered a great for Boca, but not based on his European clubs

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Just to add to this, a lot of outside fans would probably be surprised by the amount of City fans who'll maintain that Tevez is the best player they've seen in a City shirt. He was undoubtedly our best and most important player at one point.

Andersonson

Just to add to this, a lot of outside fans would probably be surprised by the amount of City fans who'll maintain that Tevez is the best player they've seen in a City shirt. He was undoubtedly our best and most important player at one point.
Great input.

mu4c_20le

I think what surprises me is that City fans still feel that way despite him refusing to play for you.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nowhere near an all time great. Has never been the best player at a top club, and never been a world class player.

fantastic squad player to have around, and he was a tenacious player, and had a really good career.

Maybe considered a great for Boca, but not based on his European clubs
Juventus?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not one of the all time greats, but a **** figure.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
World class footballer. We were lucky to enjoy him in our team for a couple of seasons

All time great? That sounds like Pele tier for me so no chance

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I think what surprises me is that City fans still feel that way despite him refusing to play for you.
True, but it's not as if that should have any bearing on how he is judged as a player. And I think most City fans now accept the 'refusing to play' narrative is not as one-sided as it first appeared.

Luke1995

If you mean one of Argentina all time greats, maybe yes.

But even then, the likes of Riquelme, Aimar and Veron probably had better careers.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If you mean one of Argentina all time greats, maybe yes.

But even then, the likes of Riquelme, Aimar and Veron probably had better careers.
Don't think his record for Argentina is that good at all and he played for them in a period before they started losing major finals so less pressure. Was trying to remember if he featured in World cup 2014, don't think he did even though he was very good for Juve in this period.

Luke1995

Don't think his record for Argentina is that good at all and he played for them in a period before they started losing major finals so less pressure. Was trying to remember if he featured in World cup 2014, don't think he did even though he was very good for Juve in this period.
Did he feature in 2010 World Cup even ?