Is Carlos Tevez one of the all-time greats?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
For me He could have been in top 20, if not for the RIP banner.
Suarez is a better striker than him and his main competitor for the all time pricks ranking.

The list of strikers better than him (not in order):
  1. Lewandowski
  2. Suarez
  3. Van Persie
  4. Rooney
  5. Aguero
  6. Benzema
  7. Ibrahimovic
  8. Ronaldo
  9. Henry
  10. Drogba
  11. Kane
Not even top 10. And that is without including the old school legends.
Harry Kane is nowhere near the rest of that list. RvP is probably a little out of place there too.

Oldyella

Good player but not an all time great for me. When you look at the clubs he had played for, how many of them would he get in their all time best teams? Boca Juniors is about it?

It's a shame how things ended up with us but you can see what Fergie was aiming for, Berba felt like a Cantona throwback, skillfull forward who was also strong and good in the air, he just didnt have the drive that the rest of that team had.

Josh 76

Tevez was a master at linking things up in attack, a bit like Rooney. Rooney was a more deadly finisher. Both had phenomenal work rate. They were quite similar players, and that's why Fergie struggled to find space in the team for both. Tevez was 1 billion times better than Berbatov, but Berbatov was tall and decent at getting on the end of crosses with his head, so maybe that's why Fergie felt a need to sign him. But the signing of Berbatov was the beginning of the end of that lethal 2008 team.
Has Fergie ever revealed what actually happened with the whole Berbatov and Tevez saga. I'm sure he must have wrote something in one of his books, but just can't remember. All I remember was, I was definitely in the Tevez camp. Was gutted when he left.
The strange think was, Fergie dropped both of them for the CL final in 2009.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
One of the best Argentinian players in generation but no, not an all timer.

Castia

Nah no chance. Decent player sure, one of the better Argentines to play in the PL even but he’s not an all timer.

Pep's Suit

Legend. That was a crazy way to end the season.

Tevez is a very well liked man in Argentina, the people see him more of a hero than Messi.

His Netflix series is also worth a watch.
Didn't know about that Netflix series but looks like, quite a bit like City of God meets Narcos. Thanks!

And YES, he is. There were some better strikers but I'd deffo take him over someone like RvP - longetivity, personality, charisma, leader on the pitch. Also until 3-4 seasons ago most City fans would still prefer Tevez over Aguero.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Not at all. He was a decent player who played in some very good teams.

Of the leagues he won in Europe, he wasn’t the best player in any of them. Probably not even close to being so. I don’t know so much about the ones he’s won in South America. Didn’t he have a disastrous spell in China too?

This is like asking if Henning Berg is one of the all time great centre backs.

Reactions: Niall

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sorry for the old thread bump but he just won Boca the argentinian title with a 70th minute winner to put them above River in the last matchday.

Also kissed Maradona

Basically wins everywhere he goes and plays a massive part in a clubs success. His international return is his only blight on his career in my opinion.

El Zoido

I remember Teves and Mascherano going to West Ham when all the big clubs including us wanted them, how weird was that? Never did understand that.
There was some weird stuff with the player ownership rights, most clubs didn’t want to get involved in such a dodgy deal but West Ham were desperate.

Zlatattack

Not a chance. He was a very good footballer, maybe one of the best Argentina ever produced but all time great? No.

Zen86

I remember Teves and Mascherano going to West Ham when all the big clubs including us wanted them, how weird was that? Never did understand that.
There was some weird stuff with the player ownership rights, most clubs didn’t want to get involved in such a dodgy deal but West Ham were desperate.
They were part owned by Kia Joorabchian if I remember correctly, and 3rd party ownership was forbidden in the PL. West Ham was basically a temporary shop window for a bigger payday, and arguably so were we. City was that payday.

Falcow

Not a chance. He was a very good footballer, maybe one of the best Argentina ever produced but all time great? No.
If you are one of the best Footballers Argentina has produced then by default you must be one of the greats. I'm not saying he is either by the way.

Excellent excellent player though. Dropping him for the 09 CL final was a travesty of a decision and we should never have let him.go. Remember the fergie sign him up chants.

Can you imagine a prime Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez front three? No wonder we were so good back then.

izec

Not even that. He was a very good player and that's about it. All time great is laughable, when he isn't even a top 10 Argentinian ever. Football didn't start 1990, as i feel more recently in the last couple of years in general with the younger crowd.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
That reminds me of Fornals going to West Ham after being so hyped in La Liga

I never understood how an average club like West Ham are seemingly able to spend so much money and on good players too.
Fornals was a weirder transfer than Tevez and Mascherano all things considered. Tevez and Mascherano would never have went near West Ham if it wasn't for all the 3rd party ownership issues. Loads of European sides were put off by it at the time apparently. Richarlison to Watford was probably just as odd as them going to West Ham in hindsight.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In his best season he dragged juventus to a CL final

In all honesty i don't think he was a lesser player than aguero and if it weren't for his personality he'd have gotten far more recognition

Certainly not a lesser player than say, Del Piero

Charles Miller

People were probably crying and tearing their robes in the Conmebol-Plate bunker yesterday. Great Carlitos.

Foxbatt

You must be joking? One of the best Argentina ever produced? How many one of the best when they have produced probably the two of the best best players ever to play football in the world. Aguero is also a better player than him. I would rate players like Ardiles above him too and many other players like Caniggia and Batistuta above him too.

James Peril

Of the leagues he won in Europe, he wasn’t the best player in any of them. Probably not even close to being so. I don’t know so much about the ones he’s won in South America. Didn’t he have a disastrous spell in China too?

Come on dude. At his best, Tevez was extremely good and he also had the habit of scoring important goals. Not Lukaku-goals a la the last goal in a 5-1 win, but 1-0 against good opposition when it mattered the most. Like many other very good forwards, he could jump into any side and make a difference, without necessarily having the top5-halo over him. If you want to find a striker and compare him to Henning Berg, you’d go James Beattie or something like that :D

Tevez just didn’t put down the work over ten years + injuries as well. He did during games obviously, but perhaps not outside and in training.

Snuffkin

He was immense at his peak but was as mad as a box of frogs. I heard he couldn't keep his house cleaners as he was too messy. Apparently he used to throw his rubbish into the corner of a room.

billybee99

Disregarding what Tevez won in Argentina, honours:
4 x Premier League titles with 2 different clubs
2 x Serie A
1 x Champions League
3 x South American Footballer of the Year

Harry Kane honours:
NONE

I wouldn't get too hung up on "how Tevez treated Fergie", it goes both ways and not signing Tevez on a perma deal after healping us win the PL And CL double was a shitty treatment as you can give a player. Choosing to use that money to sign another player in his position just condemns it.
Sure, let's compare Kane's titles at Spurs to Tevez at United, City and Juventus. That's a fair comparison. How about you reverse the two and ask how many honors Tevez would have at Spurs; probably about the same as he had a West Ham.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Quality striker who played with fantastic passion and was an immediate fan favourite wherever he went. All time great? No way.

Tevez's time at United was a bit like Kanchelskis back in the 90s. Cracking player who did well for us but was represented by some seriously dodgy people.

I remember Tevez coming on as sub and scoring a crucial winning goal in his final season for us (can't remember the exact game but was during the title run-in). Afterwards Fergie was interviewed and asked about all the "Fergie sign him up" chants and he effectively said Tevez was a bit of a nutter represented by nutters.

I think we probably moved him on at the right time. Nobody better than Sir Alex to make that call.

Art Vandelay

He was immense at his peak but was as mad as a box of frogs. I heard he couldn't keep his house cleaners as he was too messy. Apparently he used to throw his rubbish into the corner of a room.
There were stories that his house in Manchester was burned up from him throwing indoor bbq's.

He's not one of the all time greats, he's not one of Argentina's all time greats, he might be one of City's but they have only been around for a few years so it doesn't count. He's also a cnut.

marktan

Don't know what the boundaries are for an all time great but he's basically everything you could want in a top modern striker. Scores loads of goals, great link up play, and works harder than most midfielders do in chasing the ball. Played with Ronaldo and Rooney up front and never once did he look out of place.

Our great 08 team started to go downhill the moment SAF benched him for Berbatov. He's probably just below the likes of Lewa, Suarez, Benzema and Rooney, but not by much.

Andersonson

Henning Berg is a daft comparisson.

You're talking about a player who has played for Man United, Man City and Juventus. Winning the leagues with everyone and being top scorer in both leagues. Captained Man City and Juventus too.

In City and Juventus he was sublime and world class.

He also singelhandely saved West ham from relegation, after coming over from South America at the age of 21/22. This without any knowledge of the language and without family.

His story is quite remarkable

Hammondo

Sure, let's compare Kane's titles at Spurs to Tevez at United, City and Juventus. That's a fair comparison. How about you reverse the two and ask how many honors Tevez would have at Spurs; probably about the same as he had a West Ham.
Come on man he's defo s better player than Kane.

Le Red

So many strikers have come and gone who were the best in the world at some point. If that is enough to be one of the all time greats, then sure.
But if you make the list restricted to the very top of the pyramid, alongside the likes of Ronaldo or Batistuta, I think he falls short.

Pughnichi

Come on dude. At his best, Tevez was extremely good and he also had the habit of scoring important goals. Not Lukaku-goals a la the last goal in a 5-1 win, but 1-0 against good opposition when it mattered the most. Like many other very good forwards, he could jump into any side and make a difference, without necessarily having the top5-halo over him. If you want to find a striker and compare him to Henning Berg, you’d go James Beattie or something like that :D

Tevez just didn’t put down the work over ten years + injuries as well. He did during games obviously, but perhaps not outside and in training.
Berg was class and went a long way to secure the treble. Goal line clearance v Inter. Unsung hero

Le Red

Don't know what the boundaries are for an all time great but he's basically everything you could want in a top modern striker. Scores loads of goals, great link up play, and works harder than most midfielders do in chasing the ball. Played with Ronaldo and Rooney up front and never once did he look out of place.

Our great 08 team started to go downhill the moment SAF benched him for Berbatov. He's probably just below the likes of Lewa, Suarez, Benzema and Rooney, but not by much.
Tevez worse than Benzema? What sport are we talking about?

marktan

Tevez worse than Benzema? What sport are we talking about?
Maybe not worse on a technical level, but in terms of longevity and use to a top team over the last 10 years or so. They are pretty similar players actually but I think Benzema has better link up play for a team.

Let's compare Matt Le Tiss to Eric Cantona then. I mean, yes Eric also won Premier League titles at two different clubs and French leagues also, but how about we reverse the two and ask how many honours Cantona would have at Southampton, probably about the same as he had with Nimes.

Football in "all time" lists is all about playing for top teams and winning big titles @billybee99.