Is Carlos Tevez one of the all-time greats?

204Red

To be honest, I never really saw the player that he became at City while he was at United. Yes he was a hard worker and yes he could be useful at times... but he went on to be the best player in the league for 2-3 seasons and I didn't see that in him while he played for us.

A side by side comparison of him and Rooney since 2007/08 would be an interesting one.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The NFL have almost 300 hall of famers, would Tevez be in a top 300?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
He hasn't really looked that good for Boca. Obviously he has done well but hasn't consistently looked miles ahead of everyone.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
All time is pushing it. Top 10-15 of the last 10 years probably.
I think even thats pushing it - still a very good player though, probably underated on here because he went to city but Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez was a pretty special time as as united fan - could certainly do with that movement and creativity at the moment

Impulse

A side by side comparison of him and Rooney since 2007/08 would be an interesting one.
Rooney

Games: 257
Goals: 139
Assists: 74

Tevez

Games: 255
Goals: 128
Assists: 58

That's from the start of the 09/10 season when Tevez left us, although Tevez's stats don't include his numbers for Boca this year because I couldn't find them while Rooney's include his dreadful form this season. Rooney actually measures up very well against Tevez and that's before you look at their international records where Rooney is vastly superior.

Tevez was an excellent player though and I think we'd have fared better especially in Europe had we kept the trio of Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez together for longer. Berbatov was a mistake and we should have spent that money on signing Tevez permanently.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fantastic player who achieved success at every club he's been at. I remember when he came to England and idiots would say how he will be too weak for the league :lol:

I wish we had him for longer.

No

Martin palermo is better than him and even he's far from goat
What the hell? Palermo might be the darling of Boca but he's nowhere near Tevez when it comes to talent and achievements.

thepolice123

He's a great player and when all things are said and done, I think he will be in the top 5-10 or maybe even top 5 strikers of his generation. And yes, ahead of Rooney.

Didn't Saachi once said that he's an even better player than Baggio?

Boycott

All time great? Not a chance for me.

He's been a very good player but he's only brushed the elite level of his generation.

There have been loads of strikers with records similar to Tevez.

thepolice123

All time great? Not a chance for me.

He's been a very good player but he's only brushed the elite level of his generation.

There have been loads of strikers with records similar to Tevez.
There are many strikers with goalscoring records similar or better than Tevez. Only a small handful has been as consistently influential as him in Championship winning teams. If he didn't waste that final two years at Man City, I think that argument would have been even more reinforced.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His agent is an asshole and he was a but influenced by it, that shouldn't change the fact that he was a good servant for us while he was here. Evra and Park are still great friends with him, both are United legends. If he was such a prick, Evra of all people would have cut ties long ago.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
If I had to classify Tevez, I'd consider referring to him as the greatest of all time in the Gary Neville class of players; maybe not the most naturally talented or skilled but made up for it with workrate, dedication etc.

Irrational.

No. Decent player, but often has had the privilege of being in the right club at the right time. Not many times you could say that he single handedly won any of the trophies listed above, but he's been a valuable team player at the time when the club enjoyed the success.

Still a knob, though.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
If I had to classify Tevez, I'd consider referring to him as the greatest of all time in the Gary Neville class of players; maybe not the most naturally talented or skilled but made up for it with workrate, dedication etc.
That's so untrue though and just plays on the common misconception that if a player is an exceptionally hard worker they must be covering for a lack of natural talent/skill. Tevez is one of the most naturally gifted forwards of his generation, he can pass, dribble, shoot and has excellent vision. Having said that, I think the OP is certainly going a little overboard, he's one of the best forwards of his time for sure, no where near an all-time great though.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
No. Decent player, but often has had the privilege of being in the right club at the right time. Not many times you could say that he single handedly won any of the trophies listed above, but he's been a valuable team player at the time when the club enjoyed the success.
I find that a difficult argument to swallow. How can he have been at the right club at the right time 6 times?! 4 countries, 6 clubs, 8 titles. I can't think of a similar record. Plus he wasn't a passenger - he usually led the team in scoring or was amongst the top scorers.

Was West Ham the right club at the right time? No...but he brought them from certain relegation to survival. United is probably the only club where you could make a strong case that we would have won anyway.

My take is that Tevez is one of the Top 25 players of the past 10-15 years, and a good shout for a Top 100 players of all time. Depending on how you weight championships and success at club level, he is certainly in the discussion. I would be interested in seeing how managers rate him, as I would think that he's the type of player that raises the game of everyone around him, with his tenacity and workrate. Ultimately I think those attributes are what gave his teams an edge that resulted in titles.

John_Jensen

He's a great player and when all things are said and done, I think he will be in the top 5-10 or maybe even top 5 strikers of his generation. And yes, ahead of Rooney.

Didn't Saachi once said that he's an even better player than Baggio?
Not fit to lace Baggio's boots.

Sacchi & Baggio never really saw eye to eye anyway so you can take that one with a pinch of salt.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Its hard to judge because he was a mercenary. If he had a pre-longed period at any flub he would have been appreciated better by all the fans no matter what team he joined.

Absolutely no way is he better than Rooney though. This place is a joke sometimes.

criticalanalysis

To be honest, I never really saw the player that he became at City while he was at United. Yes he was a hard worker and yes he could be useful at times... but he went on to be the best player in the league for 2-3 seasons and I didn't see that in him while he played for us.
I don't think many saw the main-man, top goal scorer, City form he showed whist as Utd but I always thought he was a brilliant player and it was definitely our loss when he left pure footballing reasons.

I think you're doing Tevez a massive disservice there. I think it's one of those cases where a player tries 'too much' of everything and people only see them as an all rounder. Every basic skill/technique you can think of that a top striker/footballer needs to excel, Tevez has it (at a high level). Touch, pass, hold up play, desire, positioning, dribbling, tenacity, team effort, acceleration, creativity etc. Of course you can say that of every on form player but he's shown it in spades and consistently. There's as much talent as there is hard work there for me.

manutddjw

No. We could do a list of the top strikers since 2000 and he would probably be ranked in the late 20's or early 30's. That's just a 15 year period and when you take into account the number of world class strikers in football has dwindled to a very small number in recent years, it's not a significant achievement. There are many players in that time period who won more and scored more goals.

To call him an all time great, you have to factor in every player in history. Tevez is a great player, but how can someone who wasn't even in the top 10 of his generation be considered an all time great?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He was good and is still good. But top 50 of all time is a negative. Top 100 is also a level too far.

We're talking about all time, there's plenty of better player out there (not a discredit to tevez. But of all time is one hell of a competition)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
When City won the title he played in 13 league games and scored 4 goals. His European record is 14 goals in 59 games. His international record is 13 goals in 73 games. Juventus were walking the league before he joined them. United were ranking up league titles before he joined and won them even after he left. Even City did.

I don't think he's been a very important factor in any of his European teams. Always been replaceable. Far from being an all time great. He's a guy that when he could be bothered he could be great but at other times he was just a pain in the arse for his employers.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I wouldn't have him anywhere near an all time great list. While he is a good player who has managed to win a lot of trophies, that is as far as he gets. Sure he has won lots of things, but you just have to look at strikers who have played in the last year or so and already you would be able to have a list of players who you would pick in your team over him. He would drop even further down the list if you looked beyond them to an actual all time player list