Is Carlos Tevez one of the all-time greats?

Mindhunter

If Tevez is an all time great then Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez and Neymar are extra terrestrial beings.

Keenst

I'd just like to say that the number of titles won often fails to represent how good the player was. I mean you only have to look at past players at United like O'Shea for example. He's won more than many but this doesn't make him one of the greats, he was just in the right place at the right time and contributed to the squad. That's the point, squads win titles not players. Unless of course you ARE one of the all time greats like Ronaldo, Messi, Maradona or Pele who maybe do/did win titles by themselves or at least they are the main reason for their team's successes. That has never been the case for Tevez really, unless it was at Boca but I wouldn't know enough about that.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
I'd go for gabby too, was curious to see if anyone rated tevez the better player
I´d say Batigol had a much more spectacular shot, but if you look at their career and overall ability, and trophies, Tevez is in class above comfortably. Batistuta played for a mediocre Fiorentina most his career, and was a flop at Inter. Tevez played at the highest levels for United, City and Juve. They are not even comparable.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
In the same way that Robert Horry is an all time great basketballer. Winning lots of championships alone just isn't enough to indicate individual greatness.

SirBobbysCombover

Squirming around on a dusty barber shop floor
I´d say Batigol had a much more spectacular shot, but if you look at their career and overall ability, and trophies, Tevez is in class above comfortably. Batistuta played for a mediocre Fiorentina most his career, and was a flop at Inter. Tevez played at the highest levels for United, City and Juve. They are not even comparable.
On paper Tevez had a far more successful career so I can't argue that, I preferred gabby as an out and out striker, much like I prefer ruud over Rooney as a striker, even though I would stick my neck out and say Rooney had the better all round game.

Devil81

Here's a question.

In ten years time when his career is well over, which of the Manchester clubs will he look back on with more fondness?

United. 2 League title, 1 Champions league, 1 league cup, 1 club world cup

City. 1 league title, 1 FA cup.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wasn't he a fan of ours? I remember reading ages ago he turned up at a Corinthians press conference in a United shirt.

gza the genius

Tevez wouldn't make the top 20 of the last 10 years. Absurd question. He's never been one of the top 5 forwards in the world. All-time greatness is reserved for the likes of Messi, both Ronaldos, Zidane, et. Do you see Tevez as equal to them?
This. He's definitely had a very very good career and he's been successful everywhere he's went, but individually he's nowhere near an all time great.

John_Jensen

Nonsense, Batistuta performed to a much higher level for about a period of a decade. A far superior player by any measure.

Impulse

Batistuta stayed at Fiorentina for most of his career because he loved it there, not because he wasn't good enough to play for a more successful team. He had offers from plenty of big teams including us, and when he did leave he fired Roma do their first league title in almost 20 years. His spell at Inter was a 6 moth loan when he was 34 and not even remotely indicative of his ability to play at the highest level.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Batistuta stayed at Fiorentina for most of his career because he loved it there, not because he wasn't good enough to play for a more successful team. He had offers from plenty of big teams including us, and when he did leave he fired Roma do their first league title in almost 20 years. His spell at Inter was a 6 moth loan when he was 34 and not even remotely indicative of his ability to play at the highest level.
I dunno if the Batistuta stuff is a wind-up to be honest. The only thing Tevez holds over Batistuta is trophies, but in every other respect he's well behind. The gulf in their international records - 56 goals in 78 caps versus 13 goals in 73 caps - is enormous. And the influence he yielded to make Fiorentina competitive was extraordinary, as was the immediate impact, despite being past his best, at Roma. As well as being a great finisher who'd tuck most chances away, he had a brilliant capacity to score goals out of nothing. A top team in Serie A, or a big English team in the Champions League, would be in control of a match, then - bang - they'd be one down thanks to a bullet from Batigol. In contrast, Tevez has never really had that in his locker.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's an odd combination of being a true team player on the field and a selfish bastard off it.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I remember in FIFA08 Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo was the best offensive in the game. Only Barca (Henry, Eto'o, Ronaldinho) was picked more often.

So yeah! He's an all time great for United! :angel:

foolsgold

He's the Gary Nev of strikers, not the most talented in the world, but gave everything on the pitch and a ferocious hard worker.

Made a great career for himself, but all time great? Nowhere near.

Bojan11

He's the Gary Nev of strikers, not the most talented in the world, but gave everything on the pitch and a ferocious hard worker.

Made a great career for himself, but all time great? Nowhere near.
That's strange comparison. Tevez was quite a good player especially technically. He just worked hard, which you didn't see in other strikers.

stevoc

Tevez an all time great? Fecking hell some players get wildly underrated on here but Tevez is one of the ones that gets wildly overrated. It's baffling.

He's a very good player, but has he ever been integral to any of the championship winning teams he played for in europe? Not for me, great support player at United, AWOL 90% of the season City won it and Juve were already walking leagues before he arrived. All 3 teams would have most likely won their leagues without him.

And has he bar his first 2 years at City (when city weren't even that great) been the best player at any particular club during his time in Europe? Again not for me, he's a very good player excellent at times but i wouldn't consider him a great of the last 15-20 years never mind all time.

And it should be taken into consideration when judging him as a player that he is one of the most disruptive and unprofessional players maybe ever.

krazyrobus

Are you serious? Holy shit, Batigol was comfortably one of the best strikers in the world for about 5-6 years. And alongside MVB the most complete striker to ever play the game.

I have no doubt that if he were ever to take up the numerous offers received from every club in the world he would have far more trophies. It's not even contest, look at their national team scoring records. Batigol has sometime like triple the scoring feats of Tevez in a similar amount of matches.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The people saying he is an "all-time great" are absolutely bonkers.

Tevez was an excellent footballer. Someone who, during his peak, would have been able to play for the top teams. However all-time great is too far. A great player of his generation, sure. But he wouldn't even make the top 10 of his generation, IMO.

stevoc

Tevez better than Batistuta?

No chance. Tevez comfortably a class or two below.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Im thinking the same!! An all time great?! No way close.

Probably in the same bracket as players like Andy Cole and Ian Wright.
Aye, I would honestly not have him above Shearer, who would never be mentioned as a potential GOAT. Tevez is sort of, at best, Shearer level. Bit more flexible positionally, but as a striker, I'd rather have Shearer.

But that's just my opinion. I was a massive fan of Shearer, as much of a twat he was to play against.

stevoc

Aye, I would honestly not have him above Shearer, who would never be mentioned as a potential GOAT. Tevez is sort of, at best, Shearer level. Bit more flexible positionally, but as a striker, I'd rather have Shearer.

But that's just my opinion. I was a massive fan of Shearer, as much of a twat he was to play against.
You're not alone in thinking that mate, i don't even like Shearer always thought he was a prick but he was a monster of a player.

I wouldn't even compare Shearer and Tevez, Shearer at one point was the best striker in the world for me, Tevez has never been on that level.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Shearer was quite clearly a level above Tevez.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Shearer was quite clearly a level above Tevez.
You're not alone in thinking that mate, i don't even like Shearer always thought he was a prick but he was a monster of a player.

I wouldn't even compare Shearer and Tevez, Shearer at one point was the best striker in the world for me, Tevez has never been on that level.
Feck, glad I'm not delusional in thinking that! :D Not sure how anyone would even begin to think Tevez is a potential GOAT.

IFC 1905

Distefano wasn't only a striker, he was maybe the first total player.

a Top 23.....it'd be a hard one...

-------------------------Fillol/Goicochea-----------------------
Zanetti/Ibarra----Perfumo/Passarella---Ayala/Ruggieri----Marzolini/Sorin

-------------------Mascherano/Simeone/Redondo-------------------------
-Messi/Caniggia------ -Bochini/Riquelme--------------Kempes/Maradona----

-----------------Batistuta/Di Stefano/ Labruna/ Sivori---------------

That would be such a cheat LOL

PS: Tevez would never join that team.