Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United legend? | Poll added

Is Cristiano Ronaldo a Man Utd legend?

• Total voters

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Would someone like Zidane not count as a Juventus and Madrid legend? There are bound to be a few examples...
Interesting one. Slightly different to Ronaldo because a quick check shows Zidane has almost identical appearance figures and stats for Juventus and Madrid. He had international peaks during his time at both club. It's almost symmetrical.

I'm not hugely clued up, but I always thought he played better football at Juventus but was a bigger name at Madrid. So it's almost balanced out.
Very interesting one, actually.

To me, if you've played a significant part in a European Cup triumph then you've earned the title 'United Legend'. It all comes down to how you view the term legend. In 50 years time I think he'll certainly be known as one.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
One of the best players in the world and at United in one of the most successful periods in the clubs history. Yes, he's bit of a cock and him moving to Madrid (and the infamous slave comments) wasn't ideal but still a definite legend for me.

Dante

Average bang
How can you disregard all he achieved with the club?
I remember him as a United player. That's it. 'Legend' implies something greater and would involve an unbreakable connection to the club above all others. He doesn't have that.

ice-bionic red

He is the best player ever to wear our shirt. Of course he's a legend. Just because Madrid was his 'dream' shouldn't change that and what he did and achieved at our club. Giggs, Nev, Scholes, Best, Charlton etc would be even more of a legend to some though for obvious reasons

Spoony

The People's President
I remember him as a United player. That's it. 'Legend' implies something greater and would involve an unbreakable connection to the club. He doesn't have that.

Ronaldo the United player is just a vague memory now. He's a Real player and a Real legend. I suspect he'll be associated solely with Real in the future.

Treble

Definitely.

The last United player to win Ballon d'Or - 40 years after the previous one (Best). Huge contributions for domestic titles and our third European cup. Without his contributions Liverpool would still be the most successful English club in terms of tropheys.

United22

I don't think he could be called a legend; especially when he wanted to leave to Madrid the second he became good in '06, but he has done more than enough to be a United great. Haven't seen Best myself(another debate), but arguably the best player of all time to play for our club and its scary that he wasn't even at his peak when playing for us. Despite this he still led us to one of our greatest periods of dominance in the history of our club and won the Ballon D'Or here. Legends are players like Giggs and Scholes who have been here for ages and put in many top class years for us. I think there needs to be a distinction made clear between a United great and a United legend.

In 30 years time when Ronaldo is watching United vs. Real on the TV, he'll be supporting Real.

He's not a legend.

He was a good enough player, but his heart is elsewhere.
And you know this how? It is true that he wanted to feck off to Real, but whether he truly loves them with his heart to support them after he leaves is unknown... Imo he wouldn't give a jack shit if United was playing Real

Kag

It's a bit of a silly word, to be honest.

Ronaldo is one of the club's greatest ever players, contributing heavily to the kind of success a top club will only see once every generation, if that (unless you're lucky enough to support Barcelona).

He was the best player in the world while here, scored over 100 goals and inspired joy excitement amongst supporters that few footballers will ever manage.

Whatever it is you want to call it, it's quite special.

Speak

He is the best player ever to wear our shirt. Of course he's a legend. Just because Madrid was his 'dream' shouldn't change that and what he did and achieved at our club. Giggs, Nev, Scholes, Best, Charlton etc would be even more of a legend to some though for obvious reasons
It's not because it was his dream. It's because he played most of his best football at Madrid, and is more synonymous with them. But they're very similar stature of club. What he did at United essentially led to him being able to do what he's doing/done at Madrid - which has been the main chapter for his career by far.

jem

Inspired by K2K's thread for Rooney.

I always find it weird that Ronaldo is seen as a United legend by so many (or maybe I'm overestimating how many do see him as one?)

For me a club legend cannot have bigger ties to a club of similar stature.
Fair enough if a player goes on to have big success at a bigger club (Sir Alex can be a St Mirren, Aberdeen Legend, for example) or even if they join a smaller club after having their success somewhere else.

But in Ronaldo's case, he's done almost all of his best work at a club of similar stature. Some United fans have almost deluded themselves that the footballing world thinks of United when they hear Ronaldo's name (we had some fans asking Ronaldo to 'score for us' when Madrid played Liverpool in Europe last season.)

I swear Ronaldo would be the first club legend who went to a club of similar stature, became synonymous with that club, did his best stuff there and still remained a legend at club 1.

Do you agree or not?
Or is it totally different because Madrid aren't in the same league?
I wonder how Ajax fans view Marco Van Basten? He certainly appears to have fulfilled the criteria at both Ajax and Milan.

RetroStu

You don't need to be brilliant for 10+ seasons to be a club legend. Ronaldo certainly is a legend imo, he had a huge part in us winning multiple trophies over numerous years. He was also the best in the world for a couple of seasons (imo).

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Yes.

Zidane is still a Juventus legend even though he is more well known as a Madrid player.

Roman Bellic

Prick
just commenting on the notion that he's a madrid legend because thats where his success has been, when in reality he had much more success at united, in an equality prestigious league
I think that has more to do with his personal achievements.

Treble

I wonder how Ajax fans view Marco Van Basten? He certainly appears to have fulfilled the criteria at both Ajax and Milan.
Good point.

Ajax fans shouldn't regard him as a club legend because his best years were at Milan?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's won one CL each for us and Madrid. If we were not to win the CL for another 20 years, surely he would be remembered as a legend who took part in our last CL win and was instrumental for us in doing so.

If he wins another CL for Madrid, then I'd say he's definitely their legend only but as of now I think for a club of our stature which doesn't have many CL wins... he definitely deserves legendary status. He was the main man in 06-09.. back to back title wins, CL trophy and I'd say he has never been as entertaining and loved as much as he was in that period for us.

I dislike him these days but I think it would be unfair if he wasn't remembered as a legend purely on grounds of longevity. He spent 6 years with us, that is a pretty significant period. Van der Sar played how many years? and was a legend at Ajax.. Ronaldo done more for us than Edwin, yet Van der Sar will be remembered as a United legend will he not.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I hate the word 'legend' its overused totally, and now you have 'ledge', which is something on the edge of a mountain. There was a time when you could say Bobby Charlton was a United legend, but so debased is the term now that I wouldn't bother. Ronaldo was gifted and a remarkable footballer and he gave me many memorable moments in a United shirt, but he's no Bobby Charlton.

Minkaro

I'm not sure. I think he's certainly a legend in the world of football, but I think he's not quite there in terms of being a United player. Very close though. If you were doing tiered lists of United legends, I wouldn't have him in the top tier, but the next one down certainly.

I can only accept him as a United legend if he comes back and takes us to another CL :nervous:

Theonas

Scout
Like somebody else said, it all comes down to your definition of legend. I think a legend cannot be as obviously more in love with another team as Ronaldo is. The cases of Zidane and Van Basten are good example but I really don't see them as so obviously more into one club over the other. Ronaldo clearly used us as a stepping stone to his true aspirations. Fair enough for him, we are not going to change his mindset but in return he doesn't get to be one of our legends :D

Spoony

The People's President
He's won one CL each for us and Madrid. If we were not to win the CL for another 20 years, surely he would be remembered as a legend who took part in our last CL win and was instrumental for us in doing so.

If he wins another CL for Madrid, then I'd say he's definitely their legend only but as of now I think for a club of our stature which doesn't have many CL wins... he definitely deserves legendary status. He was the main man in 06-09.. back to back title wins, CL trophy and I'd say he has never been as entertaining and loved as much as he was in that period for us.

I dislike him these days but I think it would be unfair if he wasn't remembered as a legend purely on grounds of longevity. He spent 6 years with us, that is a pretty significant period. Van der Sar played how many years? and was a legend at Ajax.. Ronaldo done more for us than Edwin, yet Van der Sar will be remembered as a United legend will he not.

Van der Sar won't be remembered as a United legend.

Speak

Yes.

Zidane is still a Juventus legend even though he is more well known as a Madrid player.
But he was almost identical in terms of appearances and stats. for both clubs. He even had two stand-out international tournaments (one during his time at each club.) Arguably better at Juventus, but more high-profile at Madrid.

Not similar to Ronaldo. They both got almost the same output in Zidane's case.

The Law of Denis

Yes, but he could have been our greatest player ever had he chosen not to leave. I don't think his accomplishments at United will stand the test of time as well as his numbers in Real.

At United he scored at his peak 42 and 31 goals, while great numbers they have been eclipsed before in our club. Of course, there is more to it than pure statistics but his work at United will always have a scent of unfinished business.