Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United legend? | Poll added

Is Cristiano Ronaldo a Man Utd legend?

• Total voters

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Inspired by K2K's thread for Rooney.

I always find it weird that Ronaldo is seen as a United legend by so many (or maybe I'm overestimating how many do see him as one?)

For me a club legend cannot have bigger ties to a club of similar stature.
Fair enough if a player goes on to have big success at a bigger club (Sir Alex can be a St Mirren, Aberdeen Legend, for example) or even if they join a smaller club after having their success somewhere else.

But in Ronaldo's case, he's done almost all of his best work at a club of similar stature. Some United fans have almost deluded themselves that the footballing world thinks of United when they hear Ronaldo's name (we had some fans asking Ronaldo to 'score for us' when Madrid played Liverpool in Europe last season.)

I swear Ronaldo would be the first club legend who went to a club of similar stature, became synonymous with that club, did his best stuff there and still remained a legend at club 1.

Do you agree or not?
Or is it totally different because Madrid aren't in the same league?

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He has to be, surely? He was the best player in the world.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I always find it weird that Ronaldo is seen as a United legend by so many (or maybe I'm overestimating how many do see him as one?)

Fair enough if a player goes on to have big success at a bigger club (Sir Alex can be a St Mirren Legend, for example) or even if they join a smaller club after having their success somewhere else.

But in Ronaldo's case, he's done almost all of his best work at a club of similar stature. Some United fans have almost deluded themselves that the footballing world thinks of United when they hear Ronaldo's name (we had some fans asking Ronaldo to 'score for us' when Madrid played Liverpool in Europe last season.)

I swear Ronaldo would be the first club legend who went to a club of similar stature, became synonymous with that club, did his best stuff there and still remained a legend at club 1.

Do you agree or not?
You're not likely to get any unanimity since different people have different definitions of what legend means.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
No, he was a great player for us but not a legend.

Nik70

Definitely. He's an even better player for Real now but he was a genius in his last few years playing for us.

diarm

One of our greatest ever players. One of my favourite players ever to watch. But not a club legend for me. We only really got two and a half great seasons out of him and he took his peak to another club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Fair enough if a player goes on to have big success at a bigger club (Sir Alex can be a St Mirren Legend, for example) or even if they join a smaller club after having their success somewhere else.

Do you agree or not?
Would someone like Zidane not count as a Juventus and Madrid legend? There are bound to be a few examples...

settembrini

Yes.

For many fans he will be the best player they ever saw play for us.

Dante

Average bang
No.

A United legend needs to love the club and see it as the pinnacle of the sport. Cantona does. Charlton does. Scholes does. Best did. Even Beckham does. Ronaldo doesn't.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Legend? Yes. One of the all time United greats? Not for me.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I can't stand the cnut but he is the best player I have ever seen play for the club, Won the world player of the year as a Utd player, instrumental in league and cl wins.

Yes he is a Utd legend

Dante

Average bang
In 30 years time when Ronaldo is watching United vs. Real on the TV, he'll be supporting Real.

He's not a legend.

He was a good enough player, but his heart is elsewhere.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Definitely. Best player I've seen play for us.

He's a bit of a cock though.

Roman Bellic

Prick
No.

It's kind of a weird situation if we are being honest, the only other case in any sport is probably Lebron for the Cavs and Heat.

He is one of the greatest United players ever and was a part of one of the greatest United squads ever, but he is more synonymous with Madrid now - His United career is only ever talked about by United fans, he looks right at home at Madrid etc. I mean for every other legend,United was the final destination not a stop en route.

And he only ever uses us to get a new contract now, so unless he comes back ( don't hold your breath) for one last ride - he isn't a legend.

R'hllor

For me,hell no. Great player but legend not even close imo.

Nik70

In 30 years time when Ronaldo is watching United vs. Real on the TV, he'll be supporting Real.

He's not a legend.

He was a good enough player, but his heart is elsewhere.
How can you disregard all he achieved with the club?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Legend schmegend.

The word has no meaning anymore. Not a dig at Ronaldo, as such, just a general observation. There are no doubt people out there who would claim that RVP is a United "legend" too. Because he was, you know, pretty good - and instrumental in our last league win.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Someone make a United legend's thread let's settle this once and for all.There are certain players still in limbo.

Red Stone

No, but he is arguably the best player ever to play for the club.

Varun

Staff
Nope.

What he did at real is immaterial to him being classified a legend here.