Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United legend? | Poll added

Is Cristiano Ronaldo a Man Utd legend?

• Total voters

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He fits the word 'legend' more than a lot of players in the way that people feel much more feeling about the fact he once played for us since he is so attached to Real Madrid now. In a few years those who remember him (all of us now) will be talking to their kids about him more than any other player I reckon.

But he doesn't compare to the likes of Giggs and Charlton as a United great in terms of being embroiled into the fabric of the club.

Still, our only Ballon D'or winner in nearly 50 years, one of only 7 players to score in European cup final for United, the best player we had during the most successful 3 year period in our history - he is one of our best ever.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's a Real Madrid legend.

Rooney is definitely more of a United legend.

Varun

Staff
No, but he is arguably the best player ever to play for the club.
Tbh, he is best years weren't for this club at all. He had 1 great year granted but the Ronaldo that he is, he became at Real.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Zidane is still a Juventus legend even though he is more well known as a Madrid player.
Really? Most people associate Zidane with Madrid and France national team. Not many people even remember his Juventus days.

Red Stone

Tbh, he is best years weren't for this club at all. He had 1 great year granted but the Ronaldo that he is, he became at Real.
We was the best player in the world by quite a distance in both 06/07 and 07/08, in my opinion.

I might be fairly young, but I've never seen a better player in a United shirt, and I can't see that changing in the near future.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Really? Most people associate Zidane with Madrid and France national team. Not many people even remember his Juventus days.
The Juventus fans do, and that's the point. If 'legend' status means anything, surely it is up to the fans of the club in question to apply it as they see fit.

ghagua

Ronaldo was one of United's greatest player ever and a legend. He won everything at United and played his part in the success, he was not just a passenger. Sadly he did not stay longer, otherwise that goal scoring record would have been smashed out of sight a long time ago.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I wonder how Ajax fans view Marco Van Basten? He certainly appears to have fulfilled the criteria at both Ajax and Milan.
That's a fair point. Though, was he hugely hugely better in a Milan shirt? Obviously his crowning moment came in the Holland shirt, during the time he was at Milan.

amolbhatia50k

We was the best player in the world by quite a distance in both 06/07 and 07/08, in my opinion.

I might be fairly young, but I've never seen a better player in a United shirt, and I can't see that changing in the near future.
It was pretty tight between him and Kaka in 06/07 if I'm not mistaken. Noone was the best by a distance.

But he was the best in 2008.

He was even better for Madrid though, particularly his first three seasons. Even better than he was for us.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
A club "legend" should have a story of some kind to him, or several stories, that go beyond simply being bloody good at football and part of title winning teams.

Ronaldo would have left United the very moment Real came calling if it had been up to him. He evolved into a great player whilst playing for us, but there is nothing special about the United-Ronaldo relationship, it looks like pure business when you compare it to someone like Scholes or Giggs. And if the latter are "legends" then Ronaldo can't possibly be that. He makes a mockery of the term by comparison.

It seems like some people equate "legend" with "world class player who won major trophies whilst at the club". Fair enough that, I suppose, for my money it's a plain silly term to begin with. But, again, if Charlton is a "legend", or Duncan Edwards, or Ryan Giggs, then it makes no feckin' sense to consider Ronaldo in the same category. If you do that, the term itself clearly means nothing beyond "bloody good player".

amolbhatia50k

A club "legend" should have a story of some kind to him, or several stories, that go beyond simply being bloody good at football and part of title winning teams.

Ronaldo would have left United the very moment Real came calling if it had been up to him. He evolved into a great player whilst playing for us, but there is nothing special about the United-Ronaldo relationship, it looks like pure business when you compare it to someone like Scholes or Giggs. And if the latter are "legends" then Ronaldo can't possibly be that. He makes a mockery of the term by comparison.

It seems like some people equate "legend" with "world class player who won major trophies whilst at the club". Fair enough that, I suppose, for my money it's a plain silly term to begin with. But, again, if Charlton is a "legend", or Duncan Edwards, or Ryan Giggs, then it makes no feckin' sense to consider Ronaldo in the same category. If you do that, the term itself clearly means nothing beyond "bloody good player".
I agree with this. Puts into words how I feel about the term "legend".

On that note, how would you class Patrice Evra?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
One of our greatest ever players. One of my favourite players ever to watch. But not a club legend for me. We only really got two and a half great seasons out of him and he took his peak to another club.
I agree with you. Certainly one of the greatest players ever to have played at Old Trafford but not a legend.

Likewise much like Zidane is remembered as a Real Madrid player (not Inter Milan) so Ronaldo's legacy will be for what he achieved in Spain and not England.

Moriarty

I agree with this. Puts into words how I feel about the term "legend".

I know this isn't addressed to me but Paddy and Dennis Irwin are two of the best left backs to have played for United during the years I've been a supporter. Luke Shaw has some damned big boots to fill.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

I'd consider someone like Solskjaer more of a legend than Ronaldo. It's not just about being a great player.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
His contribution was amazing, but I can't consider a player who's left Manchester United at 24 and saw us as a stepping stone for his dream club, a legend.

I still remember his United days fondly and will always respect him for what he did for our club. He also hasn't said a single bad word about United/Sir Alex/the fans since his move to Madrid, so no reason to be bitter about his exit. It was his childhood dream after all.

amolbhatia50k

I know this isn't addressed to me but Paddy and Dennis Irwin are two of the best left backs to have played for United during the years I've been a supporter. Luke Shaw has some damned big boots to fill.
Evra is definitely one of the best left backs I've seen, but I was speaking more from the perspective of "connection".

For me, that is what defines a legend more than just brilliance. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would call Ole a legend but not Ronaldo/Rooney because there's something there which you can't put down to goals+assists. I was wondering where people stood on that front with regards to Evra.

santeria13

Sublemon
His contribution was amazing, but I can't consider a player who's left Manchester United at 24 and saw us as a stepping stone for his dream club, a legend.

I still remember his United days fondly and will always respect him for what he did for our club. He also hasn't said a single bad word about United/Sir Alex/the fans since his move to Madrid, so no reason to be bitter about his exit. It was his childhood dream after all.
This. One of the best players to ever grace our shirt but not a United legend.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
In 20 years time will fans remember Ronaldo, will all that he achieved at the club be discussed? The answer is yes and for me that makes him a legend.

Shiva87

It depends on his work after he retires from football. Beckham is a legend (as much for his post-departure exp. of love for the club). I'll find it hard to call Ronaldo our legend if his allegiance is to Madrid post his footballing days.

Greatest United player I've seen - Definitely.

kps88

In terms of pure match winning ability, he's the best I've ever seen at the club. And it's quite possible I won't see anyone at that same level in my lifetime again. Definitely makes him a legend in my eyes.

jem

That's a fair point. Though, was he hugely hugely better in a Milan shirt? Obviously his crowning moment came in the Holland shirt, during the time he was at Milan.
Another interesting case would be Puskas. Most probably think of him as a Real legend (which he undoubtedly was,) but from what I've read, his peak came when he was playing in Hungary (also the time when he was the leader of that incredible Hungary team.) I'd love to hear the input of any Hungarians on here regarding this.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'd consider someone like Solskjaer more of a legend than Ronaldo. It's not just about being a great player.
Undoubtedly. Ole has precisely what I referred to above: Something to him, as a United player, which transcends his footballing qualities as such. The '99 moment, his obvious love for the club, the way the fans regarded him, etc.

The only thing which makes Ronaldo stand out in a crowd as a United player is that he was brilliant on the pitch, last Ballon winner, etc. It's purely a matter of how good he was.

Remember that story about the Munich speech Rooney delivered at some sponsor shindig or other? Can't recall the details, but if anyone does, it would be worth mentioning in this thread.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Evra is definitely one of the best left backs I've seen, but I was speaking more from the perspective of "connection".

For me, that is what defines a legend more than just brilliance. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would call Ole a legend but not Ronaldo/Rooney because there's something there which you can't put down to goals+assists. I was wondering where people stood on that front with regards to Evra.
For me Evra just got us..That thing you cant really define as a United..he understood, and you could tell he loved the club..Not many players do get it, even some that have been here for a long time..

Its not the assists and games with him( Although that doesnt hurt his case), but he felt like one of us..

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He seemed to genuinely care about the club, was interested in our history, was on the books for a long time and was loved by the fans for reasons transcending his pure ability - so yeah, I'd rather call him a "legend" than Ronaldo, that's for sure.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
No, he wasn't with us long enough, and the six years that he was here started when he was still very young and developing, so we only saw a few years of him at his best (and even that was quickly surpassed by what he has provided for Real).

He could've been one of course, but he went elsewhere and became one there.

finneh

I'd say his 07/08 exploits mean he has to be. He was the absolute standout performer in a Premier League & Champions League double, which was our second best season ever.

He was by far our best player over a period where we won 1/3 of our European titles and juat over 1/7 of our domestic titles.

VanGaalEra

The guy won us 3 PL and a CL! We've only won 3 CL in our history and he was a major part of one for us.

He is a legend, there is no doubt about that!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ronaldo developed into a phenomenon. 6 years on, we're still not really over him

stu_1992

Nope. Pretty easy. Was a great player for us, obviously one of our best ever, but doesn't get legend status. Legends should be reserved for great players/managers that are synonymous with the club. It's not the case for Ronaldo, when you think Ronaldo, Real Madrid comes to mind, not us.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I still remember his United days fondly and will always respect him for what he did for our club. He also hasn't said a single bad word about United/Sir Alex/the fans since hiou says move to Madrid, so no reason to be bitter about his exit. It was his childhood dream after all.
That's a bit churlish IMO, and it's only your opinion that Utd were a 'stepping stone'. Everything you say fulfills the criteria of legend so I don't know why it should disqualify him.

As one poster has said, in 20 years time he'll be still be fondly remembered. Yes, OLegend, Charlton, Law,Best, Beckham, Edwards, Giggs,Scholes etc are legends but why should Ronaldo not be on that list?
No one really knows how some of those players might have reacted in the modern age with the obscene amounts of money being thrown around

Tibs

Yes

He left us 5 seasons ago? His name will most likely get sung the most over the course of the season

United22

Yes, but he could have been our greatest player ever had he chosen not to leave. I don't think his accomplishments at United will stand the test of time as well as his numbers in Real.

At United he scored at his peak 42 and 31 goals, while great numbers they have been eclipsed before in our club. Of course, there is more to it than pure statistics but his work at United will always have a scent of unfinished business.
Can't even remember any other United player having a better other season than his 42 goal one... Then again I am fairly young

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Nope. Pretty easy. Was a great player for us, obviously one of our best ever, but doesn't get legend status. Legends should be reserved for great players/managers that are synonymous with the club. It's not the case for Ronaldo, when you think Ronaldo, Real Madrid comes to mind, not us.
That's just utter crap. He's being discussed here because he played for Utd, his name will be synonymous with both clubs...doesn't mean he wasn't a Utd legend because he moved on