Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United legend? | Poll added

Is Cristiano Ronaldo a Man Utd legend?

• Total voters

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why would any active footballer who plays for United's European rivals like Madrid or Juve come to OT to watch a United game ?
Why would he come to a tennis or NBA game in the middle of season?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why would he come to a tennis or NBA game in the middle of season?
Different sport. He's a professional footballer employed by a club to represent them and their interests. So why would he promote the interests of a rival club (which attending their matches for no relevant reason would be) when he's already employed by Madrid or Juve.

Last edited:

MoskvaRed

Bump

Watching lot of old players coming to Old Trafford recently, and someone like Nani watching both games and posting some brilliant reunited pictures with some players, I think the biggest thing I didn't like with Ronaldo that in 10 or so years he was playing for other clubs he never came back to watch single game, visit the training, or anything like that, like majority of our old players do. I remember few years ago when he was playing for Real Madrid and was injured while we played important European game like last night, Old Trafford saw many legends and yet he was somewhere else watching tennis game or something like that, but yet our fans continued chanting Viva Ronaldo, even though it was obvious he couldn't give two fecks about United ever since he left us in 2009. I always found it amazing that people liked him that much.

I guess Ronaldo needed to receive 300-400k weekly from United to come back.

Can we reopen/reset the poll?
Ronaldo is a football legend who played for United early in his career and then moved on to what he considered bigger things.His departure also coincided with the cold dead hand of Glazernomics and the club falling away from the top of European football. If we had bought a replacement of anywhere remotely similar quality (say Robben) rather than Michael Owen, Valencia, Ashley Young etc and subsequently appointed a worthy successor to SAF, then the relationship of the fans with Ronaldo would have been much simpler. As it was, he became a symbol of lost glories and how far we had fallen.

InfiniteBoredom

He played 10 league games so yes to that on the off chance. I think the cups are at our discretion but I don't know for sure
Europa probably yes since he played nearly all the group games. Most likely doesn’t want or care about it though but you never know.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Maybe the ‘legend’ thing is itself starting to smell? It’s a bit 2010. Also can legendary status be tarnished? Like Giggs? Or the likes of one who goes to a rival? Personally, I used regard a few as United legends till I saw them doing punditry. They still served the club well, though. So it’s more ‘great servants to the club’, than legend which smacks too much of a jaded, faded, celebrity culture

OrcaFat

He is a legend and is one of the best players we’ve ever had. Can’t deny his place in our history and we had two of his best years. He achieved a lot at Madrid but I’m not sure he was ever as good to watch as his last year with us.

As we all know, half of the time he was here he was saying he wanted to leave and his prickish behaviour is right up there with the prickest pricks of all time.

He is a legend but a very difficult guy to like.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He is. Him returning and leaving means we get Ten Hag instead of him joining Chelsea. It was the kind of damage we needed (Ole sacked as a result).

Ceteris

Let's just think about the word carefully "Legend"

Not for me, if anything we moulded him and he gave the best part of his career to another team

Madrid legend, United super kid (star)

scottser

I wouldn't class him as a United legend, certainly not in the same class as Robson or Cantona or Keane. United turned him from a precocious talent into a champion and he fecked off as soon as he could to become a galactico.
Nah, not for me.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Different sport. He's a professional footballer employed by a club to represent them and their interests. So why would he promote the interests of a rival club (which attending their matches for no relevant reason would be) when he's already employed by Madrid or Juve.
Gakpo was back at PSV just last night. Bellingham has been back to Birmingham matches at least one since the World Cup. I don't think anyone will view them as "promoting the interests of rivals." Its a nice touch and one that lots of footballers have done over the years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Gakpo was back at PSV just last night. Bellingham has been back to Birmingham matches at least one since the World Cup. I don't think anyone will view them as "promoting the interests of rivals." Its a nice touch and one that lots of footballers have done over the years.
There’s a massive difference between a young footballer doing it as a one off compared to the most famous human on the planet (by IG standards) who literally has a galaxy named after him and is a walking brand who financially affects everything he talks about or touches . Beyond the football, other clubs were paying him insane sums of money to be a brand ambassador on their behalf, so the chances of him casually attending United games were always slim to none.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons

bringbackbebe

Many people who don't consider him a legend give too much emphasis on his second spell and too little emphasis on his first. He will always be a special player for us.

Herman Toothrot

There’s a massive difference between a young footballer doing it as a one off compared to the most famous human on the planet (by IG standards) who literally has a galaxy named after him and is a walking brand who financially affects everything he talks about or touches . Beyond the football, other clubs were paying him insane sums of money to be a brand ambassador on their behalf, so the chances of him casually attending United games were always slim to none.
He was too famous and had too many financial commitments to catch a match at Old Trafford. The beautiful game.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Great. So should we expect this at every club he’s played for ?
No, because he is obviously not our legend. If we considered him our legend, then he probably should have visited us more often.

Herman Toothrot

He should've asked Beckham for tips. It never seemed to stop him from attending matches
Well indeed!

In all seriousness, I could not give less of a feck if Ronaldo came back to watch United or not. Right now, he's probably too embarrassed to been seen watching a side excelling without him. I suspect he might find time in his calendar if some of the fans get their Gold Trafford wishes, but then who knows if that will be complicated by whichever nation state he's beeing paid to endorse by then.

He obviously loves Sir Alex, but Ronaldo doesn't give a shit about United and never did.

A great player, 15 years ago, best I've seen wear the shirt. Thanks for the distant memories.

UTD_Since_1978

I think he is despite it turning a little sour at the end but let's not even forget that only last season he was our top goal scoring & player of the season as well.