Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can't believe some people are shocked, or even unhappy with the decision to postpone the games.

Maybe we've forgot, because we haven't experienced a death of a monarch in over 70 years, but this is pretty much the single most significant thing that can happen in a monarchy. There will be plenty more events postponed or cancelled outside of football. The London stock exchange will be closed on the day of the Queens funeral.

There is a direct connection between the Royal family and football - The Queen handed over the World Cup to the winners in '66 and countless other FA cups, and Price William is president of the FA. Yes, we will be postponing a weekend's fixtures out of respect for the Queen.

Robindinho

Pathetic. What does calling them off achieve? Those who want to mourn can just not watch... Respect her by having a minute silence, black armbands etc.

What am I supposed to do now this weekend? Talk to people?

saivet

Any indication on what will happen with British clubs in Europe next week?

RedChisel

Hate this country and the flag waving, cap doffing idiots that inhabit it.

fergies coat

One of these events that everyone alive will remember where they were and what they were doing 50 years from now.

- JFK assassination
- The landing on the moon
- 9/11
- A 96 years old woman passing away (R.I.P by the way).

Me personally, I was on the bus on my way to buy drugs to stuff up my nose over the weekend to get hammered to the point of being on the brink of a seizure.
Make sure you use a £20 note to hoover it up your nose a mark of respect.

ChrisNelson

It's got down to non-league now which was obvious anyway but has now been confirmed.

The Northern Premier League (I follow Belper Town and do the social media) has announced all matches off.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Pathetic. What does calling them off achieve? Those who want to mourn can just not watch... Respect her by having a minute silence, black armbands etc.

What am I supposed to do now this weekend? Talk to people?
But aren’t gestures that achieve nothing exactly the right thing to honour a person who achieved nothing?

UpWithRivers

He was talking about democracy, and I think this is the most democratic decision the government could make. It's like VAR deferring the decision back to the ref. Passing the responsibility back.
That's not democracy. Its politics. They deferred it so they wouldn't get the blame but the outcome would have always been the same.

Raven

I can't believe some people are shocked, or even unhappy with the decision to postpone the games.

Maybe we've forgot, because we haven't experienced a death of a monarch in over 70 years, but this is pretty much the single most significant thing that can happen in a monarchy. There will be plenty more events postponed or cancelled outside of football. The London stock exchange will be closed on the day of the Queens funeral.

There is a direct connection between the Royal family and football - The Queen handed over the World Cup to the winners in '66 and countless other FA cups, and Price William is president of the FA. Yes, we will be postponing a weekend's fixtures out of respect for the Queen.
Ughh. I hate all this virtue signalling.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Will this be implemented in FM23 or what?

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
It's a fecking joke.

Go back to work, keep the shops and restaurants open, Strikers stop striking out of respect. Everybody doing their bit to keep the company going.

Parliament who have done feck all for 12 years but particularly the last 2 months - fecking off on another holiday.
And then the football too. Like seriously? What does cancelling that achieve.

Seems they can cancel our hobbies and pastimes but if it comes to cancelling work for the common man to "mourn" then the stance suddenly changes.

Joke

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Although I am not a British citizen but I truly respect the need to stop any game for a week to mark a respect for their Queen. It’s perfectly acceptable.
How about 2 weeks…?

In a year when the WC has been ridiculously shoehorned into the middle of the season because money.

I am British, and it’s ridiculous. If Policing is the issue, play the games behind closed doors with black armbands on.

All the shops are still open, everyone has to carry on going to work - if it means so much to them, why not close all the shops, even for ONE DAY…? Nah, can’t have that.

‘Mourn while you work and don’t do anything you enjoy , but DO CARRY ON WORKING SHOPPING AND DRINKING, PLEBS.’

It’s the double standards, which ironically, is quite fitting I suppose.

Last edited:

AussieDevil

Not on 1-2 days notice, they are not.

Who’s going to refund plane tickets, hotel bookings etc?
Does it matter? As a foreign fan I’ve been through the process many times, your flights, hotels, tickets are all paid for months in advanced, usually 3-4 months in advance. Either the games are rescheduled 2 days or 2 months notice it doesn’t make a difference.

Flexdegea

:lol:

Glorio

Ah well ... Hopefully our only functional CF can continue his recuperation

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Can’t tell who is doing a Joe Lycett and who is being sincere.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC

Honestly... I don't give a single shit.

Oh wow she handed world cup medals over lol!

It's a ridiculous decision. If you want to invoke a mourning period then cancel everything. But it seems like work isn't being cancelled. Strikers are returning to work too out of respect.

We just have a shit goverment fecking off on holiday again. And all our hobbies cancelled too.

But we're still expected to be in work and do our jobs. Get the feck.

It's a load of shite and just another distraction from the real problems facing the country.

Now we've got to listen to an anti monarch cow speak on behalf of the nation too. Its all so fecking fake.

redshaw

Is it really that big of a deal to go without football for a week? Seems like the correct decison to postpone, it’s a hugely significant event. I can go without football for a weekend and don’t really see the big deal.
What happens next weekend, do they cancel that as well? I can take one weekend but I find it extreme to have two weekends closed. Hopefully we can have next weekend on if they want to cancel this weekend as it's close to the death.

What better way to mark the Queen than pay respects at events this weekend then close for the day of the funeral whether that be Sat/Sun/Mon?

hobbers

Spineless but expected.

There won't be football on the day of the funeral so that means 2 rounds of fixtures getting fecked.

UpWithRivers

So what's the difference between playing and training? Are they allowed to train? If they are then they are still working like they do at a match so whats the difference? Too much potential for happiness at a match and not enough sadness? Is there a directive for training to be sad with breaks to mourn? Just wondering.....