Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

SirAF

Ageist
Does it matter? As a foreign fan I’ve been through the process many times, your flights, hotels, tickets are all paid for months in advanced, usually 3-4 months in advance. Either the games are rescheduled 2 days or 2 months notice it doesn’t make a difference.
Can only speak for myself, but I’ve never booked anything that long in advance, specifically because shit can happen. You don’t expect an event to be called off in two days though - barring an act of terror or something.

Flexdegea

Does it matter? As a foreign fan I’ve been through the process many times, your flights, hotels, tickets are all paid for months in advanced, usually 3-4 months in advance. Either the games are rescheduled 2 days or 2 months notice it doesn’t make a difference.

I can't take you serious.

This is involving kids playing sports too, why are you sounding ignorant and saying it's ok because it's happened to you before,

I've had many a united match moved, cost money but this is canceling the whole sports calender for one person affecting millions of people maybe, it's absolutely ridiculous and will be if they cancel the kids games too.

Makes zero sense. Baffling you being from outside the UK and seemily all for all this nonsense

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So what's the difference between playing and training? Are they allowed to train? If they are then they are still working like they do at a match so whats the difference? Too much potential for happiness at a match and not enough sadness? Is there a directive for training to be sad with breaks to mourn? Just wondering.....
Them playing is entertainment. Them training is not.

It's why I'm at 99.9% of people are at work as normal today but there's no live sporting events going on.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Actually feels like the PL are going to get more flack for cancelling here, as they seem to be out of step with a good proportion of other sports.

pacifictheme

Have tickets for the Leeds match, first time in a few years being able to go and now that match will be midweek in January meaning I'll have to take time off work for it, if I can go at all. Absolutely gutted.

pacifictheme

It's why I'm at work today but there's no live sporting events going on.
Yeah go to work with a stiff upper lip but don't you dare fecking enjoy yourself.

SirAF

Ageist

It's why I'm at 99.9% of people are at work as normal today but there's no live sporting events going on.

Not since Anderson left anyway.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Word on the street is Liverpool might play their CL game in Dublin because of policing issues.

Gavinb33

I can't believe some people are shocked, or even unhappy with the decision to postpone the games.

Maybe we've forgot, because we haven't experienced a death of a monarch in over 70 years, but this is pretty much the single most significant thing that can happen in a monarchy. There will be plenty more events postponed or cancelled outside of football. The London stock exchange will be closed on the day of the Queens funeral.

There is a direct connection between the Royal family and football - The Queen handed over the World Cup to the winners in '66 and countless other FA cups, and Price William is president of the FA. Yes, we will be postponing a weekend's fixtures out of respect for the Queen.
In 1952 a whole slant of fixtures happened after the death of the last King.

Thing is i am at work today why isn't my work closed, either everything shuts or nothing does, why is football so special it needs to be cancelled.

As for the monarchy, am i empathetic that The Queen died absolutely as i would be for anyone that's a mother, sister, grandma and great grandma and her family must be grieving which is sad for them, what does her death mean to me absolutely nothing it doesnt change my life in any meaningful way i have gone about my business in my usual way today and will tomorrow and so on.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Which other sports are cracking on as normal this weekend?
Racing are going ahead Sunday with their big event.

Weren't you in here last night saying football will defo be on?

Drawfull

Honestly... I don't give a single shit.

Oh wow she handed world cup medals over lol!

It's a ridiculous decision. If you want to invoke a mourning period then cancel everything. But it seems like work isn't being cancelled. Strikers are returning to work too out of respect.

We just have a shit goverment fecking off on holiday again. And all our hobbies cancelled too.

But we're still expected to be in work and do our jobs. Get the feck.

It's a load of shite and just another distraction from the real problems facing the country.

Now we've got to listen to an anti monarch cow speak on behalf of the nation too. Its all so fecking fake.
What the feck are you blabbering about? This decision is on the FA, nothing to do with the government, and you can include any of the other examples you rant about there too. Last sentence, fair enough - she's a hypocrite... but it's also her job.

I suppose I'm a monarchist - I'm not a republican - but I don't get the logic of the FA going against the government's tacit advice especially in a season that's already going to run out of days to play matches for some clubs (it just will) by the time new year rolls around.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It'll help Chelsea, Potter with much more time to work with the players before they actually play a game.

It's an emotional decision, they didn't do it 1952 and there's no reason now to move games other than on the day of the funeral. Personally I don't think HM would want people to even be sad. She had a great life, a long and great reign and was 96.

AussieDevil

I can't take you serious.

This is involving kids playing sports too, why are you sounding ignorant and saying it's ok because it's happened to you before,

I've had many a united match moved, cost money but this is canceling the whole sports calender for one person affecting millions of people maybe, it's absolutely ridiculous and will be if they cancel the kids games too.

Makes zero sense. Baffling you being from outside the UK and seemily all for all this nonsense
Oh and now it’s for the kids? They’ll be right.

It’s not just any one person, it’s a person beloved by millions. You don’t have to like her to understand she’s been the symbol of Britain for close to a century. Whether you like it or not, you’re living in a country with a monarchy. That’s how it goes. It’s blatantly obvious how so many people cherish her across the globe. And we always knew that this would be the case when she passed.

Why does it matter if I’m outside the UK? Your queen is my queen.

Stop having a cry, it’s a week. You’ll survive.

RedDevilRoshi

What happens next weekend, do they cancel that as well? I can take one weekend but I find it extreme to have two weekends closed. Hopefully we can have next weekend on if they want to cancel this weekend as it's close to the death.

What better way to mark the Queen than pay respects at events this weekend then close for the day of the funeral whether that be Sat/Sun/Mon?
I can totally understand them cancelling next weekends games as travelling and the amount of policing involved for that weekend is going to be huge and a chaos.

It’s just cancelling this weekends fixture card just makes no sense whatsoever.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It'll help Chelsea, Potter with much more time to work with the players before they actually play a game.

It's an emotional decision, they didn't do it 1952 and there's no reason now to move games other than on the day of the funeral. Personally I don't think HM would want people to even be sad. She had a great life, a long and great reign and was 96.
I am absolutely ambivalent about the whole thing but it's an unprecedented event, the death of the longest reigning monarch.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Makes absolutely zero sense. There’s now scheduling issues, but more importantly people from all over the world are out of pocket and majorly disrupted for absolutely no reason.

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
Bringing the queen up in relation to football is clutching at straws bud.
There is a connection between the Royal family and the FA whether you like it or not. What's the English national anthem again?

I understand people are upset with the decision, but I'm not surprised by it in the slightest.

JustinC00

Although I am not a British citizen but I truly respect the need to stop any game for a week to mark a respect for their Queen. It’s perfectly acceptable.
"for a week"

It's not just this week, next week will be postponed as well. Then there is a 2 week International break. So no PL for a month. Next time you see play us play in the league will be at the Emptihad on Oct 2nd.

ICB

Supports
Arsenal
Meaningless gestures are the bread and butter of this country and I would expect no different having lived here my whole life. Truly a strange place, oh well. Another week on top of the league! :nervous:

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Looks dumb as feck from a distance but I guess that's Britain. Weird obsession with royalty and servitude.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There is a connection between the Royal family and the FA whether you like it or not. What's the English national anthem again?

I understand people are upset with the decision, but I'm not surprised by it in the slightest.
You know what the English national anthem is (or any national anthem for that matter) has zero to do with football right?

NewYorkRed

You guys can all watch this weekend’s NFL games, promises to be a super exciting weekend !