Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

TheReligion

Abusive
There is a connection between the Royal family and the FA whether you like it or not. What's the English national anthem again?

I understand people are upset with the decision, but I'm not surprised by it in the slightest.
The English national anthem is the English national anthem, it's not like we play it at premier League matches.
I did mention that Prince William is the president of the FA so there is that. Wonder if it played a part in the decision.

Chief123

There is a connection between the Royal family and the FA whether you like it or not. What's the English national anthem again?

I understand people are upset with the decision, but I'm not surprised by it in the slightest.
The only reason games have been cancelled is the FA don’t want a PR disaster.

norm87cro

Shes not "Lizzie" she is Elizabeth and after 70 years in the office she deserves more respect than that.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
:lol: not you again! I remember that election thread well - I didn't mind the flaming cock but your ban was well-deserved for this nonsense.
A thread for the ages. Many of us earned well deserved taglines during that epic time.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Here is an article issued only last year that highlights just some her greatest achievements Queen Elizabeth II - Greatest Achievements - Hattons of London

She inherited a life of priviledge, but not through her choosing, and used it in a way to make millions of people's lives better across the world. She was not fame or power hungry - she was a decent person in many respects.
So she did some actual work for a short while in the 1940s, then gave a speech in the US over 60 years later, then under her rule the laws of succession changed which impacts only the lives of those of royal blood. Wow, I am stunned. How did she do all that in a mere 96 years?

tomaldinho1

I did mention that Prince William is the president of the FA so there is that. Wonder if it played a part in the decision.
I mean, didn’t Prince Andrew used to have that role? Not sure it has a smidgeon of bearing on anything.

arnoldS

Insane decision really. Especially with the horrific economy in mind and the insane scedule in the premier league.

Play the national anthem, a minute of silence and wear black armbands and go on with life.

croadyman

Nothing is forced though? The government said sporting fixtures can go ahead. The league decided not to.
Yeah if you want to blame someone for this decision then it's the Premier League that your frustration should be directed at

decorativeed

So she did some actual work for a short while in the 1940s, then gave a speech in the US over 60 years later, then under her rule the laws of succession changed which impacts only the lives of those of royal blood. Wow, I am stunned. How did she do all that in a mere 96 years?
:lol:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Rugby League and Union got the decision right. FA look like morons yet again.

tomaldinho1

I doubt it, I expect they assumed all sport would be postponed this weekend and now the FA looks a bit ridiculous with the backlash and other sports going ahead.

Josh 76

Insane decision really. Especially with the horrific economy in mind and the insane scedule in the premier league.

Play the national anthem, a minute of silence and wear black armbands and go on with life.
Due to the shock of the Queens death, I could understand if yesterday’s game was called off, but now that the initial shock is over and will be even more so by tomorrow, surely the weekends games could have gone ahead.

hobbers

The notion that the general public need to make a show of mourning in events like this is straight out of any despot textbook.

Cancelling grass roots football is just embarrassing. The plebs must go to work as normal and sacrifice only all of their leisure activities to mourn.

Infra-red

Due to the shock of the Queens death, I could understand if yesterday’s game was called off, but now that the initial shock is over and will be even more so by tomorrow, surely the weekends games could have gone ahead.
They could all be played of course, but the head of state has died, so I wouldn't say it's a surprise that the weekend's English Premier League fixtures are cancelled. There's not much chance of any games going ahead next weekend, either, although that will be largely due to policing/logistical concerns rather than anything 'mourning' related.

Guy Incognito

Am I right in thinking when Diana died we were heading towards an international break. Don't recall they cancelled any fixtures apart from Newcastle/Liverpool on Super Sunday.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Shes not "Lizzie" she is Elizabeth and after 70 years in the office she deserves more respect than that.
You don’t get to decide how much respect over people show the royal family, performative nonsense.

redshaw

Probably too late but I hope the PL can walk this back if this is still the case.

The test cricket match, the PGA Championship in the golf, the full rugby league calendar including the Super League play-off, and the Premiership rugby union matches scheduled for the weekend are all expected to go ahead. That's pretty much all the big ticket sport in England tomorrow and Sunday.
People don't want their lives put on hold again plus they can pay their respects at the events and of course cancel everything on the day of the funeral. Why should football stop but other sports carry on? The EPL is probably the most far reaching sport around the world and has many people traveling from outside the UK to watch. It should be in the Premier League's interest to carry on more than any other sport/event.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
No wonder Golf isn't off. That's what the rich people play.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The notion that the general public need to make a show of mourning in events like this is straight out of any despot textbook.

Cancelling grass roots football is just embarrassing. The plebs must go to work as normal and sacrifice only all of their leisure activities to mourn.
Yep. You’re not even getting a holiday out of it. Just your leisure activities that come to a halt.

Red00012

If the funeral is on Monday cancel sporting events on the Monday . Life goes on .

Wilt

You can't market your league all across the world, encourage people from all over to travel to your country to go to games only to cancel all the games and ruin the travel plans of 1000s of people because a figurehead dies.
Of course they can and they have.

Judas

Open to offers
I am a bit amused that what seemed the most obvious excuse for a bank holiday ever, that people have been banking on happening for as long as I've been alive, and we're not even getting one!

68cob

I know United are in the Premier League, but why is everyone having a a go at them and the English FA. Looks like all the UK's professional football is suspended.

kaku06

Vulgarian
On the other hand. We should get much needed time on the training pitch. We are in desperate need for that with the new signings. It’s a blessing in disguise and I hope these 2 weeks help massively because we really need it straight away.