Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

TheReligion

Abusive
But now that grassroots games of 12-year-olds are getting cancelled, we can forget about policing considerations playing any part in the decision at all. Clearly it's not a factor.
The FA has cancelled it all as a mark of respect. As they have said. But obviously policing considerations for the PL fixtures, particularly in London, will have been considered.

Chief123

How a 96 years old woman dying could be that significant. I mean, even this year only we had the first full scale war in Europe in more than 2 decades, with probably over a hundred thousand people dying, a non-trivial risk of nuclear war, double digit inflation after 2 decades, skyrocket energy prices. But yeah, a 96 year old woman who drank a lot of tea is the most significant one.
It's still no one else's business to tell a person what event is signifcant in their life.

Siorac

We can all agree that it started around 800A east coast time though.
:lol: not you again! I remember that election thread well - I didn't mind the flaming cock but your ban was well-deserved for this nonsense.

Rajma

How a 96 years old woman dying could be that significant. I mean, even this year only we had the first full scale war in Europe in more than 2 decades, with probably over a hundred thousand people dying, a non-trivial risk of nuclear war, double digit inflation after 2 decades, skyrocket energy prices. But yeah, a 96 year old woman who drank a lot of tea is the most significant one.
Absolute madness.

SteveCoppellFan

We were due someone coming in here and dropping the "snowflake" phrase. Once again proving that the people who use it, are actually the truly overly sensitive ones.
No worries, you obviously do not need much proof before jumping to conclusions.

I think its fair to say, the games do not need to be cancelled this weekend, but we live in a time were the fear of the backlash overrides common sense.

JB7

It's still no one else's business to tell a person what event is signifcant in their life.
These people have nailed their posts to the ground and are standing by them regardless of how ridiculous they look. They've even changed the argument because they are slowly realising they misunderstand the original post and continue to spout nonsense.

JB7

Well 28 years ago your new PM stated they (royal family) should be done away with as they were nothing but a relic of the past.
Yes because we all continue to hold the exact same views we held 28 years ago, or the views we held as a teenager, don't we?

Rajma

Have tickets for the Leeds match, first time in a few years being able to go and now that match will be midweek in January meaning I'll have to take time off work for it, if I can go at all. Absolutely gutted.
I’ve got it booked for Leeds too, is it definitely off now?

ekestubbe

How can seemingly intelligent politicians think it's a good idea to force people to mourn, and to also decide how they mourn? Shouldn't mourning be a very personal and individual process? If someone doesn't feel like going to a football game they have the option not to. All this accomplishes is pissing people off.

Also, some googling told me that when JFK was assasinated sports continued as normal in the US, just like in England after Churchill died.

Chief123

These people have nailed their posts to the ground and are standing by them regardless of how ridiculous they look. They've even changed the argument because they are slowly realising they misunderstand the original post and continue to spout nonsense.
Tbh, the main point was the guy spouting bollocks about the OP comparing 9/11 with the Queen's death which he clearly didn't do. It was an innocent post about 2 major events in terms of the impact they have on the "nation". I highly doubt he meant the event of the Queen dying significantly affected his life. I also highly doubt he spent that much time in thinking about all the significant events in his life. 9/11 was the easiest one to recall. But the absolute melts having a go at him for "comparing" the two is ridiculous because he didn't.

swissgenius

If you think today's inflation or high energy prices are big historical events, you'll be surprised reading the Queens wiki page.

And don't tell people what has to affect them, it's not an objective thing.
Likewise, others would laugh at us, ranting over pausing football for a week.

ExoduS

Hahaha this is one giant bullsh1t. We still live like it is 9th century. Mourning a monarch that lived a very long life...

Wouldn't a thing like football help with mourning !?

Giant bullsh1t and it shows some people are still way too important. When is that going to change?

MegadrivePerson

Any idea if European games are likely to be cancelled mid week? I'm guessing that it's very unlikely?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It's a major event, it will be hanging on people's minds, the media, etc. Why can't some of you just accept that maybe some of the players themselves wont be up for it, not to mention the atmosphere will be completely different.
Ahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

White text?

iHicksy

I for one hate how these things are used for political advantage. I mean, channel 4 cancelled Frasier this morning because they didn't feel it right to air a comedy on TV because the queen has died. This is next levels of insanity to me. The BBC having obviously been fed this by the tories even had the nerve to say that "in light of the recent news the energy and cost of living crisis is now obviously insignificant". Just wrap your heads around that for a while. Something that is making millions of people live in poverty and suffering is now insignificant because a woman worth 2.75 billion pounds has died at the age of 96. Anyone else?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
How can seemingly intelligent politicians think it's a good idea to force people to mourn, and to also decide how they mourn? Shouldn't mourning be a very personal and individual process? If someone doesn't feel like going to a football game they have the option not to. All this accomplishes is pissing people off.

Also, some googling told me that when JFK was assasinated sports continued as normal in the US, just like in England after Churchill died.
Cancelling the football = forcing people to mourn?

I agree it shouldn't be cancelled but come on like.

Alan Partridge

This is completely absurd. It’s like something you’d expect from North Korea. If they had any sense they’d use this as an opportunity to get rid of this pretend monarchy nonsense. The fact that they’ve gone as far as to cancel children’s matches is honestly quite sickening.

Chief123

I for one hate how these things are used for political advantage. I mean, channel 4 cancelled Frasier this morning because they didn't feel it right to air a comedy on TV because the queen has died. This is next levels of insanity to me. The BBC having obviously been fed this by the tories even had the nerve to say that "in light of the recent news the energy and cost of living crisis is now obviously insignificant". Just wrap your heads around that for a while. Something that is making millions of people live in poverty and suffering is now insignificant because a woman worth 2.75 billion pounds has died at the age of 96. Anyone else?
BBC saying that was really taking the piss. The cost of living and energy prices would still be extremely signficant even if one our loved ones died, never mind the Queen.

I wonder if the BBC will give the nation a 10 day rebate on their licence fees for those who aren’t interested in watching everything Queen related.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Apparently we don’t even get a bank holiday to mourn. :(

Flexdegea

Oh and now it’s for the kids? They’ll be right.

It’s not just any one person, it’s a person beloved by millions. You don’t have to like her to understand she’s been the symbol of Britain for close to a century. Whether you like it or not, you’re living in a country with a monarchy. That’s how it goes. It’s blatantly obvious how so many people cherish her across the globe. And we always knew that this would be the case when she passed.

Why does it matter if I’m outside the UK? Your queen is my queen.

Stop having a cry, it’s a week. You’ll survive.

Again I don't know what you are talking about, you aren't offering any sort of ration debate.

It's Just soundbites, it's my queen she is cherished around the world, shut the whole world down, you will live, it's only football :lol:

Pretty much summing up how daft it is

Chief123

Apparently we don’t even get a bank holiday to mourn. :(
The queens death doesn’t affect our ability to work. We should continue to crack on.

It will severely affect our ability to watch and enjoy football though. Health warnings are being issued across the nation.

Raven

There is a connection between the Royal family and the FA whether you like it or not. What's the English national anthem again?

I understand people are upset with the decision, but I'm not surprised by it in the slightest.
The English national anthem is the English national anthem, it's not like we play it at premier League matches.