Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
EFL have confirmed games will carry on from tomorrow. Just have to wait to see if the PL follow suit now if they're able to.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...l-returns-premier-league-queen-funeral-police

The Premier League said it was working behind the scenes to get games on, where possible, before more meetings with the government today.

Meanwhile a Football League source told the Guardian that while it wanted to play as many games as possible this weekend, and nothing was definitive, it would count as a success if the majority of the games kicked off then.

Uefa is expecting all the Champions League matches involving English teams, including Liverpool’s home match against Ajax on Tuesday and Chelsea’s and Manchester City’s games against Salzburg and Borussia Dortmund respectively on Wednesday.

However on Monday morning a source said that Arsenal’s home Europa League match against PSV remains up in the air partly because of policing issues and partly because it is a higher-risk game because of PSV fans.

If that game were postponed over policing concerns it seems unlikely that Saturday’s Tottenham v Leicester match would take place. Sunday’s Manchester United v Leeds, Brentford v Arsenal and Chelsea v Liverpool games are also major doubts given the large number of resources needed at these matches.

MegadrivePerson

I can't see any of the London games being on. It makes the decision to postpone this weekends games even more stupid!

RonaldoVII

Arsenal game on Thursday is off. Would imagine PL games this weekend in London will have the same issue. Hopefully others can go ahead.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Arsenal game on Thursday is off. Would imagine PL games this weekend in London will have the same issue. Hopefully others can go ahead.
Not necessarily - the concern about this match was the PSV fans - the Chelsea match is being reported as likely to go ahead.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How will they justify allowing some games to go ahead but not London ones? It wouldn’t be fair.

pacifictheme

How will they justify allowing some games to go ahead but not London ones? It wouldn’t be fair.
In what way? Cancelling fixtures that can be played would be a weirder thing to do. If one fixture gets snowed off they play the others, this is no different.

Chief123

I wonder if all the pro-english who thought booing anthems at the Euros was all good, will think it's cool at the World Cup if God save the king / queen is sung and booed?
It such a silly thing to get upset at fans booing national anthems. The more attention it’s given the more people will do it.

It’s no surprise that in a crowd or 50k+ people, some will act weird.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The funeral playing havoc with fixtures over the next week makes the decision to cancel last weekend’s fixtures seem even more idiotic.

A bit of planning could have made this all go so much smoother. If only the death of the 96 year old head of state hadn’t caught the authorities so completely by surprise….

wangyu

I have to thank the queen. I never realized I could handle a weekend without football but now I do. God save the queen.

Chief123

The funeral playing havoc with fixtures over the next week makes the decision to cancel last weekend’s fixtures seem even more idiotic.

A bit of planning could have made this all go so much smoother. If only the death of the 96 year old head of state hadn’t caught the authorities so completely by surprise….
Just never saw it coming.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
They've had a mare. There's no other words for it.

All cos football had to go big and first with the gesture politics of cancelling everything from elite to kids football, when nobody else saw the need. Real questions about the integrity of the competition now.

There's a lot of London clubs throughout the football pyramid, who may have to play 2 or 3 extra games in close succession at the end of the season. If they drop points and end up missing out on Europe or relegated or whatever, big questions about the integrity of competition.

Paul the Wolf

Questions need to be answered:

Why are the Napoli and PSV fans being singled out as being possible reasons for cancelling football matches?

Why are the people who will travel to see any event related to the Queen's funeral so rowdy that they need so many police to control them?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In what way? Cancelling fixtures that can be played would be a weirder thing to do. If one fixture gets snowed off they play the others, this is no different.
Why is it unfair out of curiosity? Teams are rarely in sync with number of games played.
Because clubs are already taking a hit from last week when there was absolutely no reason for a game to be cancelled and in a season which is going to be packed up, to have two games needing to be changed to midweek it isn’t fair that the teams which have been unlucky enough to have the fixture in London this weekend have to change because of that.

Games being called off because of snow is pretty different to this. If the pitch is covered in snow you can’t play. They can still play a game without fans or reduced capacity if there are policing issues or they should just cancel all games.

It’s the same reason why the covid seasons were bollocks. The integrity of the comp was shattered when you have some teams with 5 or 6 games in hand.

pacifictheme

Questions need to be answered:

Why are the Napoli and PSV fans being singled out as being possible reasons for cancelling football matches?

Why are the people who will travel to see any event related to the Queen's funeral so rowdy that they need so many police to control them?
1. Because they are known to be quite bad fans?

2. Police are there because of the numbers but also I would assume because of the threat of terrorism or some sort of protest.

pacifictheme

Because clubs are already taking a hit from last week when there was absolutely no reason for a game to be cancelled and in a season which is going to be packed up, to have two games needing to be changed to midweek it isn’t fair that the teams which have been unlucky enough to have the fixture in London this weekend have to change because of that.

Games being called off because of snow is pretty different to this. If the pitch is covered in snow you can’t play. They can still play a game without fans or reduced capacity if there are policing issues or they should just cancel all games.

OK, the Brighton and Palace game was called off because of train strikes. No one was crying about that. There is no reason some games can go ahead when some can not.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
OK, the Brighton and Palace game was called off because of train strikes. No one was crying about that. There is no reason some games can go ahead when some can not.
One game is a problem but manageable, missing two games in a row is significantly worse due to the scheduling issues to try and fit them in at a later date especially with the world cup. It will be a total nightmare for those clubs involved and will lead to most likely a very unfair schedule of games on down the road.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Brighton requested it was called off and clearly were willing to take a hit of one game. They are also not in Europe compared to other London clubs.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Is there anything planned for the Queen in Manchester this weekend? Leeds is probably the most difficult game for the police to manage so would be very easy for the Premier League to call our game off.

pacifictheme

One game is a problem but manageable, missing two games in a row is significantly worse due to the scheduling issues to try and fit them in at a later date especially with the world cup. It will be a total nightmare for those clubs involved and will lead to most likely a very unfair schedule of games on down the road.
Hang on do you think I am in favour of all games being cancelled? My argument is that just because some games may be cancelled not all should.

pacifictheme

Quite bad fans? Unlike angelic English fans.

Protest? As in forced mourning

Terrorism? around Westminster Abbey perhaps.
Well yes they are playing English teams so you can see why there may be issues. Very smart observation.

I would assume there will be a very big tedious route planned for the funeral and a lot of people there. It's a bit of a stupid question to ask why there needs to be a large police presence for it really.

Irwin99

geez, victims of terrorism or war get a minute's silence and a 'life goes on' but a 96 year old woman with a lifetimes access to the very best medical care gets two weeks of mourning with severe disruptions to ordinary life :confused: . Our species is mental at times. Was there a postponement for the 9/11 attacks? genuinely can't remember.

Paul the Wolf

Well yes they are playing English teams so you can see why there may be issues. Very smart observation.

I would assume there will be a very big tedious route planned for the funeral and a lot of people there. It's a bit of a stupid question to ask why there needs to be a large police presence for it really.
Why should there be an issue? Why not cancel all matches forever? Jesus wept.

The funeral is on Monday when no matches are on, genius.

Chief123

It’s the same reason why the covid seasons were bollocks. The integrity of the comp was shattered when you have some teams with 5 or 6 games in hand.
Yeah fair enough. The fixture congestion this season is going to be tough and teams can’t really afford postponements.

I really hope Chelsea v Liverpool goes ahead this weekend as I can see Chelsea having the new manager bounce and putting Liverpool further in the mud!

68cob

The tories and royal family don't like football. Simple as that.

Infra-red

What a circus. The EPL fecked up the schedule by canceling the games this weekend and now there is huge pressure to get the games on next weekend when there is actually a legit logistical reason to have to cancel some games. Idiots running the show.
I think there's a good chance everything next weekend will be cancelled. Perhaps the Premier League have had some reassurances that games will be be able to go ahead, so they decided to cancel everything this weekend, safe in the knowledge that next weekend would be 'normal' - I doubt it though.

redshaw

That is crazy calling a midweek CL game off. I'd play it behind closed doors or just hand PSV a 3-0 win.

This is actually building resentment that had dissipated from the 80s and 90s. I'm all for celebrating the Queens long and fulfilled life, a minute applause at the grounds would've been good last weekend.

Last edited:

Infra-red

They could use the Army to police the funeral.
I'm sure they will have a role. The security operation will be fairly big - numerous heads of state from around the world all coming to London at the same time, hundreds of thousands of people on the streets.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
For Arsenal vs PSV, wouldn't it be easier to just flip the scheduling for the home and away legs?

On second thought, probably not.

Paul the Wolf

geez, victims of terrorism or war get a minute's silence and a 'life goes on' but a 96 year old woman with a lifetimes access to the very best medical care gets two weeks of mourning with severe disruptions to ordinary life :confused: . Our species is mental at times. Was there a postponement for the 9/11 attacks? genuinely can't remember.
No, clubs played in European competition all week long including that night and the following weekend.

studs

I'd say it's very likely the Army will also be drafted in to manage the funeral.
I was thinking that it would release pressure on the police so that they could manage some games during the week.