Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Barthez

But what makes Wednesday more suitable than Tuesday?
Because the Queens coffin is being transferred on Tuesday to be flown back to London from Scotland. King Charles III will also be in Scotland before flying onto Belfast.

redshaw

Do the Mourners plan on hijacking the coffin? What exactly is the police worry there?
It's being flown in apparently. Perhaps anti-aircraft fire.

Might be best to fly north then do a right around Denmark, down to Calais and over the channel.

justsomebloke

That's interesting because I somewhat felt my generation was when intelligence peaked but didn't have the data to back it up (I'm 30). The OP was talking about growing up in the 1950's though, so I'd still argue my assessment was correct. IQ levels didn't start dropping off until the 2000's according to this article.

And having endless information at your fingertips does make someone smarter. It's lunacy to suggest otherwise in my opinion. The issue is how technology is used, not the information itself.
Of course it doesn't. No one becomes either more or less intelligent simply by being given access to lots of information.

You "somehow felt" your own generation was the most intelligent. I see. :) Well, then you should have no problem spotting how declining IQ scores during exactly the period where information access has grown explosively contradicts your reasoning here.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
When I was having a smooch yesterday at what match I could watch, it made me realise how good the premier league is. Rarely a game in the EPL is boring. The rest of football is poor to watch.

I tuned into PSG at one point and turned it off after 5 minutes.
Horrible football today, at least what I have watched, mainly Italians. That league is so poor.

HairyBack23

Of course it doesn't. No one becomes either more or less intelligent simply by being given access to lots of information.

You "somehow felt" your own generation was the most intelligent. I see. :) Well, then you should have no problem spotting how declining IQ scores during exactly the period where information access has grown explosively contradicts your reasoning here.
Thats simply not true. Having access to information allows an individual to learn and form a better understanding on subjects. How do you think Western civilization has a higher IQ than Africa for example? It's not because there's something in the water. It's education and information infrastructure. Based on your argument people are born with a certain intelligence and that doesn't change depending on their circumstances.

My reasoning behind feeling IQ may have peaked is primarily due to education standards slipping and young people these days being more concerned with rotting their minds on TikTok. This wasn't the case even 10 years ago. Information access is beneficial to intelligence under the assumption that it's utilized properly. So not "explosively contradictory" at all.

ScholesyTheWise

feck me is this forced break from PL footie shite.
what a momentum killer. Comes at exactly the right time for Pool, Chelsea... Wrong time for us.

Can't remember when was the last time I anticipated an upcoming United game so much. feck.

TheReligion

Abusive
We're not so different to North Korea. One political ideology in place for decades, multiple parties just there to give the impression of democracy, with a state broadcaster that cowers to the government.

Broadcasting that gives an impression of a national outpouring of grief over the loss of our dear leader. Not quite NK levels but then we're not going to get shot for not publicly grieving hard enough I suppose!
What an idiotic post

The Dane

feck me is this forced break from PL footie shite.
what a momentum killer. Comes at exactly the right time for Pool, Chelsea... Wrong time for us.

Can't remember when was the last time I anticipated an upcoming United game so much. feck.
I had a bad feeling about our trip to Palace this weekend so it might not have been so bad for us after all. Next up is Leeds at home that should keep momentum going, given we haven’t slipped up in Moldavia mid-week.

As for Liverpool and Chelsea they would have anyway destroyed Wolves and Fulham, and now at least they don’t have that momentum to build on before they meet next week in a match that hopefully ends in a goalless draw.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
We're not so different to North Korea. One political ideology in place for decades, multiple parties just there to give the impression of democracy, with a state broadcaster that cowers to the government.

Broadcasting that gives an impression of a national outpouring of grief over the loss of our dear leader.
Yup sky news is in full North Korea mode atm

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Probably best now to cancel until after the funeral so everyone who wants to can continue to mourn and resources can be better deployed. Especially in London where there will be security and policing rehearsals. Football will return and quite rightly too but let’s not rush it. This event is the biggest we’ll ever witness in our life times so I am happy to just go with the flow. Football will always be here, the week and days ahead will be a very precious time.
Playing football before the biggest event of our lifetime. I assume you will be taking a stand and avoid watching

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
On the other hand as Brentford v Arsenal is the televised match (on Canal+) , if the London matches are cancelled and the United & Everton matches go ahead we have a 50/50 chance of watching United live.

Furthermore if Wolves v City is cancelled or City lose and we beat Leeds 7-0, we'll be top of the league at the international break!

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The dippers would have sung through the minute's silence. Which is honestly the only thing I like about them.

TOKUGAWA-X

Liverpool fans singing through the minute of silence would only expose them as who they really are, a bunch of pathetic, disgusting haters.

So I hope every PL team is forced to have a Queens minute of silence.

PoTMS

Why has the decision on next weekend's game still not been announced yet? You would think the FA/PL/EFL would wanna give the everyone advance warning whether the games will be played or not so they can plan/cancel as appropriate.

ScholesyTheWise

I had a bad feeling about our trip to Palace this weekend so it might not have been so bad for us after all. Next up is Leeds at home that should keep momentum going, given we haven’t slipped up in Moldavia mid-week.

As for Liverpool and Chelsea they would have anyway destroyed Wolves and Fulham, and now at least they don’t have that momentum to build on before they meet next week in a match that hopefully ends in a goalless draw.
Scouse and Chelsea didn't look like destroying anyone... shitty momentum will make you scared of your own shadow in front of goal and in defense...

Yeah for as at Palace it could have been tricky, i'll give you that...

At any rate, this is annoying as hell. footie can't come back soon enough.

sepulturite

Im just showing interest in these difficult times. In times like these people should look out for eachother. Also im a bit bored since i cant watch football :(
And also in times like these you learn to live again
It's times like these you give and give again
It's times like these you learn to love again
It's times like these time and time again :wenger:

justsomebloke

Thats simply not true. Having access to information allows an individual to learn and form a better understanding on subjects. How do you think Western civilization has a higher IQ than Africa for example? It's not because there's something in the water. It's education and information infrastructure. Based on your argument people are born with a certain intelligence and that doesn't change depending on their circumstances.

My reasoning behind feeling IQ may have peaked is primarily due to education standards slipping and young people these days being more concerned with rotting their minds on TikTok. This wasn't the case even 10 years ago. Information access is beneficial to intelligence under the assumption that it's utilized properly. So not "explosively contradictory" at all.
What, you think that's due to simply "access to information"? You don't think things like educational standards and the cultural bias of IQ tests maybe have something to with that? It does not follow that if you give Western kids access to much more information than before, for instance through the internet, they become more intelligent.

Which indeed you seem to argue yourself in your second paragraph.

Red00012

Why has the decision on next weekend's game still not been announced yet? You would think the FA/PL/EFL would wanna give the everyone advance warning whether the games will be played or not so they can plan/cancel as appropriate.
They don’t give 2 fecks about supporters that’s why

Pickle85

Can you cite your sources here, please?

Stadjer

And also in times like these you learn to live again
It's times like these you give and give again
It's times like these you learn to love again
It's times like these time and time again :wenger:
Thats from a Foo Fighters song isnt it? The drummer of that band also passed away recently. :(

justsomebloke

What, you think that's simply about "access to information"? You don't think things like Western educational standards or cultural bias in the testing might have something to do with that? It does not follow that if you give the same Westerners access to much more information, for example through the internet, they will become more intelligent.

Indeed, you argue the same thing yourself in your second paragraph. You can't have it both ways. If "Information access is beneficial to intelligence under the assumption that it's utilized properly", then that means it is not true that more information=higher intelligence. If it was, then those Tik Tok kids you're complaining about would be way ahead of you. Or had they already stopped teaching basic logic back in humanity's intellectual zenith? :)

"That's interesting because I somewhat felt my generation was when intelligence peaked but didn't have the data to back it up (I'm 30). The OP was talking about growing up in the 1950's though, so I'd still argue my assessment was correct. IQ levels didn't start dropping off until the 2000's according to this article."

And maybe maths too? Because if you're 30, you will have received your higher eduaction during the course of the past decade, and your primary education during exactly the period where IQ levels started to drop off. Or was it only 3 or 4 years ago that educational standards began to decline?

Come on man. You're far too young to be shouting angrily at the clouds about young folks today - and far too old to think yours is the brightest generation ever. :smirk:

Traub

We survived a weekend of no football! Well done all, was touch and go

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Police Scotland are lazy and never miss an opportunity to feck over football fans.
Celtic might be playing away, but that just means more pubs filling up with hoops supporters. Maybe Im just dumb, but I don't know that filling the pubs with Rangers and Celtic fans on the same night will make for an easy shift :lol:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Celtic might be playing away, but that just means more pubs filling up with hoops supporters. Maybe Im just dumb, but I don't know that filling the pubs with Rangers and Celtic fans on the same night will make for an easy shift :lol:
And then add in the Napoli fans that will obviously still travel anyway. It's going to be carnage :lol:

sepulturite

Thats from a Foo Fighters song isnt it? The drummer of that band also passed away recently. :(
Yep it is, and there was a tribute concert the other day and Dave Grohl (lead singer) sang it and had to stop part of the way through because he was in tears :(

HairyBack23

What, you think that's simply about "access to information"? You don't think things like Western educational standards or cultural bias in the testing might have something to do with that? It does not follow that if you give the same Westerners access to much more information, for example through the internet, they will become more intelligent.

Indeed, you argue the same thing yourself in your second paragraph. You can't have it both ways. If "Information access is beneficial to intelligence under the assumption that it's utilized properly", then that means it is not true that more information=higher intelligence. If it was, then those Tik Tok kids you're complaining about would be way ahead of you. Or had they already stopped teaching basic logic back in humanity's intellectual zenith? :)

"That's interesting because I somewhat felt my generation was when intelligence peaked but didn't have the data to back it up (I'm 30). The OP was talking about growing up in the 1950's though, so I'd still argue my assessment was correct. IQ levels didn't start dropping off until the 2000's according to this article."

And maybe maths too? Because if you're 30, you will have received your higher eduaction during the course of the past decade, and your primary education during exactly the period where IQ levels started to drop off. Or was it only 3 or 4 years ago that educational standards began to decline?

Come on man. You're far too young to be shouting angrily at the clouds about young folks today - and far too old to think yours is the brightest generation ever. :smirk:
Emotional standards/cultural bias in the form of IQ tests is a separate subject. We're obviously discussing this under the assumption that across the board IQ tests are similar. I don't know if they are, and as far as I'm concerned it's an arbitrary measure of intelligence anyway, as it doesn't take into account things like the use of technology. Only using it as a barometer for intelligence as its universally recognised. Also it's naturally more nuanced than just "access of information" but I'm arguing that plays a significant part, which it does.

Nobody said more information=more intelligence. My claim was seamless access to information is beneficial, if utilized properly. You using TikTok as a yardstick for information is illogical because that's clearly near the bottom of what anyone would consider useful information, which was essentially my reasoning (info access not utilized as well as it was).

The premise of the debate was 1950's vs now. You brought up an article regarding IQ levels dropping over the past few decades - I wasn't debating that. Simply mentioned I had a thought that intelligence may have peaked due to the aforementioned reasons as i found the article interesting, not claiming that as a fact at all. Not sure why you've got your knickers in a twist and are being a condescending twat about it? Do you always jump down people's throat for sharing a random thought seperate to the discussion at hand, or is this just an online thing?

Nobody is shouting at clouds over the kids either, I was defending them until you went on your tirade. Anyway we'll leave it at that since you can't have a civil conversation.

Last edited: