Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Get off your arse and get out to work, volunteer somewhere, pick rubbish off the streets. Surely you can do something instead of taking the 'holiday'.

Why take the day off for the funeral, if there is such an issue with the Queen and Royal Family?
Are you ok? Ignoring the fact I do indeed have work on Monday, I'm very confused as to the point you're trying to make?

Presumably all those moaning will continue to go to work on Monday 19th, even if their place of work is closed?
If someone says the football shouldn't have been cancelled, you are asking if they will go to work on the 19th, even if their place of work is closed. You've framed your sentence as if you're making some point, but it's nonsensical and there's no logic behind it.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
They don't know when she is going to die or what games will be on that weekend. The obvious decision would have been to keep last weeks games on and cancel all the games this weekend but they fecked it.
They don't know when she was going to die but that's the whole point of advance planning so that on whatever date she does die, x happens and all the events ,sports social, visiting dignatories, everything is foreseen. It's not like it was going to be twenty years in the future.

matt10000

In addition, they need to be there to arrest all the people subvsersively holding pieces of cardboard.
Indeed I am not sure what happened to freedom of expression and speech?

It seems disagreeing with someone else’s opinion is a hate crime nowadays…..

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They don't know when she was going to die but that's the whole point of advance planning so that on whatever date she does die, x happens and all the events ,sports social, visiting dignatories, everything is foreseen. It's not like it was going to be twenty years in the future.
Fixtures change every season, they’re not set in stone. Other sporting events like boxing you don’t know where they’ll be or what fight happens next etc. There is some pre planning you can do, sure, but there’s a lot that is also subject to change.

Paul the Wolf

Fixtures change every season, they’re not set in stone. Other sporting events like boxing you don’t know where they’ll be or what fight happens next etc. There is some pre planning you can do, sure, but there’s a lot that is also subject to change.
That's what I meant when I was talking about updating regularly by a (small) department that kept on top of changes constantly.

Son

As someone has said before - stop talking absolute nonsense.
Those wanting to abolish the monarchy can look forward to people like Trump been elected. A god, king and policy maker all rolled into one.

I’d much rather have a system built on tradition and an idea of togetherness than one based on division. The monarchy for all its faults brings people together.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Those wanting to abolish the monarchy can look forward to people like Trump been elected. A god, king and policy maker all rolled into one.

I’d much rather have a system built on tradition and an idea of togetherness than one based on division. The monarchy for all its faults brings people together.
As opposed to King Andrew?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

You look at the monarchy and see togetherness?

Paul the Wolf

Have you noticed who has been running the UK recently?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

It’s interesting. I typically agree with those who you’re disagreeing with, and I’m not a Royalist, but after the last 10 years politically, I actually agree with you on this (at least with the post I’m quoting).

I think a system where there’s Monarchy and government creates a better, more ‘moderate’ balance.

The thought of a Trump or Putin getting in while the Monarchy is here seems a lot less likely than in US or Russia…

And as bad as England currently is - look at US or Russia.

Son

It’s interesting. I typically agree with those who you’re disagreeing with, and I’m not a Royalist, but after the last 10 years politically, I actually agree with you on this (at least with the post I’m quoting).

I think a system where there’s Monarchy and government creates a better, more ‘moderate’ balance.

The thought of a Trump or Putin getting in while the Monarchy is here seems a lot less likely than in US or Russia…

Yes this is my point. It is kinda ridiculous for a monarchy to be held in such high esteem but it does create a helpful barrier against those who would see our country and people burn for their own self interests.

Those saying our politics is worse than America are delusional. Literally have gun lobbies and oil companies who take the position of Queen in their culture.

I would rather bow down to a Queen / King than some random capitalist tyrants. You look at our crime compared to theirs we live in a better society and that’s a pure fact.

Chief123

Yeah it’s done a great job of bringing us all together to hate on the monarchy in unison.

Chief123

Yes this is my point. It is kinda ridiculous for a monarchy to be held in such high esteem but it does create a helpful barrier against those who would see our country and people burn for their own self interests.

Those saying our politics is worse than America are delusional. Literally have gun lobbies and oil companies who take the position of Queen in their culture.

I would rather bow down to a Queen / King than some random capitalist tyrants. You look at our crime compared to theirs we live in a better society and that’s a pure fact.
What a ridiculous argument.

So we have less crime and live in a better society because we have a monarchy? Nonsense.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

So we have less crime and live in a better society because we have a monarchy? Nonsense.
The point is that British Monarchy and it’s existence and influence (whether symbolic or literal) in Britain makes it less likely for a Trump or a Putin to get control of the country.

And that a more moderate climate occurs due to the balance.

Would anyone on here that lives in England rather live in US? Genuine question.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The point is that British Monarchy and it’s existence and influence (whether symbolic or literal) in Britain makes it less likely for a Trump or a Putin to get control of the country.

How so? I don't see a link. Most EU countries would be far less likely than Britain to have a Trump or Putin, and it's certainly not because of the influence of their respective monarchs is it?

Paul the Wolf

You do realise that that are only 43 monarchies in the whole world, 15 of which have the British monarch as King leaving 28 other countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, UAE.

Presume you've heard of Boris Johnson & Liz Truss and the government who are trying to trash people's rights . the Monarchy have no power to stop them doing what they like.

Divisions such as Brexit and Scottish independence hardly gives a united image to the outside world.

Many countries are far more democratic than the UK and they don't need a monarch.
No I wouldn't want to live in the US or Russia.

Son

They are a symbol of our history and importance from a time gone by. Destroying the past would be insanity a bit like what happened in China and Russia I would argue.

What would you like Britain to be in the future?

Chief123

They are a symbol of our history and importance from a time gone by. Destroying the past would be insanity a bit like what happened in China and Russia I would argue.

A symbol of our history? Ahh that magnificent history that stole $45 trillion from India. What a beautiful memory.

A country without a monarchy where a whole weekend of football doesn’t get cancelled when the granny dies.

Son

You do realise that that are only 43 monarchies in the whole world, 15 of which have the British monarch as King leaving 28 other countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, UAE.

Presume you've heard of Boris Johnson & Liz Truss and the government who are trying to trash people's rights . the Monarchy have no power to stop them doing what they like.

Divisions such as Brexit and Scottish independence hardly gives a united image to the outside world.

Many countries are far more democratic than the UK and they don't need a monarch.
No I wouldn't want to live in the US or Russia.
Of all those ‘’many countries” you don’t actually name I guarantee most of them will look upto Britain as a way to run a successful society.

Son

A symbol of our history? Ahh that magnificent history that stole $45 trillion from India. What a beautiful memory.

A country without a monarchy where a whole weekend of football doesn’t get cancelled when the granny dies.
Funnily enough the stolen resources from India were made by trading corporations. The Dutch East India company for example.

You would have the monarchy replaced by such corporations or whatever warped far left/right agenda you have in mind banging the drum of “freedom” so you can have your larger slice of the pie on an individual level.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Of all those ‘’many countries” you don’t actually name I guarantee most of them will look upto Britain as a way to run a successful society.
Funnily enough the stolen resources from India were made by trading corporations. The Dutch East India company for example.

You would have the monarchy replaced by such corporations or whatever warped far left/right agenda you have in mind banging the drum of “freedom” so you can have your larger slice of the pie on an individual level.
You have a very warped view of how Britain functions.

Chief123

Ahh so that makes it perfectly alright to have stolen it all as in your eyes we’ve ended up better off. Bet you’ve got a lovely explanation as to why Prince Andrew would make a great baby sitter too.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
there are so many people on Reddit seething about this, but I don’t really see the problem. British clubs wanted to commemorate the passing of our head of state with the anthem in home grounds - doesn’t seem particularly unreasonable. UEFA denied it, as they are within their rights to do - no problem everyone move on.

People are acting like British clubs have demanded the anthem in all grounds along with a thirty minute silence or something

santeria13

Sublemon
The absolute trust and belief in the authorities and government by some people in this thread added to the mental gymnastics they go through to defend every decision they make, is quite amusing I must say. The same kind of people will sit there and defend Prince Andrew while losing their shit every time they hear the name Megan Markle.

Also, feck the Public Order Act. That's essentially freedom of speech dead as we know it. It's already dead on platforms such as twitter, facebook and youtube but now you literally can't say some things others don't like in public or you''ll be arrested. fecking joke.

Last edited:

Lost bear

Yes, but having an alternative to the monarchy does not mean we automatically have a disaster such as Trump, who in fact seems to regard himself as a king.
imo what we need is more democracy, not less. We also need an educated population who aren’t sucked in by populism, and a proper voting system. And a written constitution.
As another poster pointed out a few days ago, we, as a country, need to grow up.
To embrace the possibilities of the modern world, not retreat into feudalism.