Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Our government and authorities showed more enthusiasm in getting people into stadiums at the height of covid waves but now we have to majorly disrupt the season which is already majorly disrupted with a largely meaningless gesture.

Play the games, have a minutes silence, blast the national and anthem and wear black armbands

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is it really that big of a deal to go without football for a week? Seems like the correct decison to postpone, it’s a hugely significant event. I can go without football for a weekend and don’t really see the big deal.
I think the problem lies in the fact that you are already going to have an extremely tight schedule this seasona and you're potentially going to have to squeeze two weekend games into midweek now which is going to be unfair to certain clubs.

Telsim

Some of the comments on here are disgraceful. 70 years of service to our country, and you are moaning about one game of football being postponed.

Manchester United are a football club based in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom has just lost it's constant, spanning generations.

You only have to see the news to see how important she was around the world to millions.

The people of this world, in general, get worse. It's sad to see...
They are not going to invite you into the royal family, mate.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How many games are Utd supposed to be playing this weekend :houllier:
It's not just one game. Hundreds of teams are based in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom has just lost it's constant, spanning generations.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I don't disagree with your opinion about the monarchy/cancelling these games but this decision will be made with most of the UK in mind and not just you or I.
How do you know about the opinion of 'most' of the UK?

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Absolute joke. Forcing people to mourn and not have fun watching the footy. What are we meant to do all weekend? watch them repeating the same bullshit on BBC/ITV news?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I want to troll people on both sides of this so badly but I won't, because I am a nice person.

Not nice enough to not want to do it, but nice enough not to do it.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I'm from the UK. I quite liked the Queen. I think this is a mind-bogglingly dumb decision and makes me loath my country and the royals ever more.

Truly a pathetic decision.

ChrisNelson

Do not get the decision at all. The only thing this will achieve is doubling the number of people whose lives are affected - before it was only fans of the Royal Family, now a nation of football fans have their plans ruined for absolutely no reason.

Mourning the death of the Queen should be a choice, not forced on to everyone.

Siorac

Our government and authorities showed more enthusiasm in getting people into stadiums at the height of covid waves but now we have to majorly disrupt the season which is already majorly disrupted with a largely meaningless gesture.

Play the games, have a minutes silence, blast the national and anthem and wear black armbands
Yes, that would be the sensible way of paying respect. Instead it's this.

Oh well, at least a bit more time for our injured players to recover so that they can get injured during the fixture congestion resulting from this decision.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't really get how going ahead with football matches - that will have armbands, tributes, silences etc. - is disrespecting the Queen....but maybe that's just me.

Lecland07

I'm astonished that people find a way to moan about everything. Everyone always has something to moan about, and there doesn't seem to ever be any exception.
Moaning is people's favourite past time. Sounds exhausting to live like that, to be honest.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I am gonna create a twitter account just to abuse people who support or understand this decision. Absolutely senseless, if it is disrespectful to attend or watch football, how is it not disrespectful for ordinary people to have to go to work their a***** off. FFS.
What a pointless thing to do. Get over it :lol:

fergies coat

Sport not being play on the day of her funeral I can totally understand, but all this forced mourning is a joke. I'm sure even the Queen would of agreed with that.

Drakul

Its frankly speaking a ridiculous decision. The Queen was 96 years old. Lived a full life and passed away after a bout of illness. It wasn't sudden. She didn't die tragically. Go ahead and pay your respect to her at the game. Wear black bands. Have a minute of silence. But to cancel the games altogether?

Astonishing.

And this is me without getting into all the atrocious acts carried out and perpetuated by the British monarchy for hundreds of years. We don't hear a peep about those parts, do we?

Shame.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It isn’t even traditional to cancel the football during an event like this.
Fair play to everyone mourning, but I don’t see why they’ve had to ruin our weekends as well.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yes, that would be the sensible way of paying respect. Instead it's this.

Oh well, at least a bit more time for our injured players to recover so that they can get injured during the fixture congestion resulting from this decision.
It'll just be more congestion down the line.

I'd scrap the league cup to allow a little wiggle room.

Real Name

It's not just one game. Hundreds of teams are based in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom has just lost it's constant, spanning generations.
She was a queen for 70 years, its remarkable really.

RonaldoVII

Why does the whole country have to stop, costing everyone so much money in times where money is hard to keep hold of? Ridiculous. Do they want everyone to be faux miserable for two weeks rather than get on with life that will be very much the same as it was last week?

Jacko21

Just feels like an outdated decision. The kind of thing you’d expect in the 19th/20th century.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s called respect. Not sure what’s so hard to understand.
How is it disrespectful to kick a ball? If i decide on Sunday, when Everton were due to play Arsenal, to kick a ball around with my mates am I being disrespectful?

Flexdegea

Some of the comments on here are disgraceful. 70 years of service to our country, and you are moaning about one game of football being postponed.

Manchester United are a football club based in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom has just lost it's constant, spanning generations.

You only have to see the news to see how important she was around the world to millions.

The people of this world, in general, get worse. It's sad to see...

More like the people serving the queen.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Suspending activities cause a 96 year old died in year 2022.

swissgenius

I want to troll people on both sides of this so badly but I won't, because I am a nice person.

Not nice enough to not want to do it, but nice enough not to do it.
Haha, I can relate to that.
I'm not english but I can understand the decision to cancel it. Yes it was to be expected and not a very tragic death, but she was certainly more than your average royal or celebrity.

I totally understand the other side too, forcing people to mourn has a somewhat strange side to it.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why does the whole country have to stop, costing everyone so much money in times where money is hard to keep hold of? Ridiculous. Do they want everyone to be faux miserable for two weeks rather than get on with life that will be very much the same as it was last week?
It's not.

I'm still at work, pretending to work. People are milling about in all the shops outside. Hardly anything has stopped.