Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
That is crazy calling a midweek CL game off. I'd play it behind closed doors or just hand PSV a 3-0 win.
Closed doors will quickly be shut down by clubs due to loss of income.

Can't see Arsenal not wanting to play that game and Uefa won't rock the boat with any punishments.

Not sure why Napoli fans told not to go to Ibrox and the game goes ahead, yet Arsenal game cancelled. Seems to be making it up as they go along.

Abizzz

British teams that can't play at home should have to host their game at a neutral ground imo. No reason to force your mourning on the rest of us.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
No, clubs played in European competition all week long including that night and the following weekend.
Tuesday night games went ahead, Wednesdays were cancelled.

United were in Athens to play Olympiakos, but the game never went ahead.

Chief123

Can someone explain this to me? Funeral on Monday of next week, game canceled on Thursday before said funeral. What's the logic here? I don't see the reasoning here.
I don’t get it either. I doubt crowds are going to be so big 4 days before the funeral.

SteveTheRed

Chelsea home game against Liverpool sounds like it will be postponed. Their wednesday game still going ahead.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
That is crazy calling a midweek CL game off. I'd play it behind closed doors or just hand PSV a 3-0 win.

This is actually building resentment that had dissipated from the 80s and 90s. I'm all for celebrating the Queens long and fulfilled life, a minute applause at the grounds would've been good last weekend.
Well :angel:

Dr. StrangeHate

Because clubs are already taking a hit from last week when there was absolutely no reason for a game to be cancelled and in a season which is going to be packed up, to have two games needing to be changed to midweek it isn’t fair that the teams which have been unlucky enough to have the fixture in London this weekend have to change because of that.

Games being called off because of snow is pretty different to this. If the pitch is covered in snow you can’t play. They can still play a game without fans or reduced capacity if there are policing issues or they should just cancel all games.

It’s the same reason why the covid seasons were bollocks. The integrity of the comp was shattered when you have some teams with 5 or 6 games in hand.
This is exactly why the Covid season should be declared Null and Void now in the interest of fairness.

pacifictheme

Why should there be an issue? Why not cancel all matches forever? Jesus wept.

The funeral is on Monday when no matches are on, genius.
I haven't said I agree with it but I assume they can't provide enough police, or extra police, for some stupid reason.

Yes you are right but I would assume that logistically they can not do it, or can't be arsed to organise it.

phelans shorts

Quite bad fans? Unlike angelic English fans.

Protest? As in forced mourning

Terrorism? around Westminster Abbey perhaps.
Jesus Christ are you still spouting utter nonsense in here? Touch some grass, man. Any crowd of people gives an increased risk of terrorism, it’s common sense. Something which in this thread you’ve clearly not shown any of
Is there anything planned for the Queen in Manchester this weekend? Leeds is probably the most difficult game for the police to manage so would be very easy for the Premier League to call our game off.
There will be something. I don’t know what because I frankly won’t be going to or paying any attention to it. I said repeatedly the last few days I expect our game to be off as a category A with no doubt GMP sending extra officers to London, and gatherings in town, it’ll be a stretch at the very least.
geez, victims of terrorism or war get a minute's silence and a 'life goes on' but a 96 year old woman with a lifetimes access to the very best medical care gets two weeks of mourning with severe disruptions to ordinary life :confused: . Our species is mental at times. Was there a postponement for the 9/11 attacks? genuinely can't remember.
In America, the country it happened, there was. The only thing to actually happen for days afterwards was an episode of WWE Smackdown.

Not sure why you’d expect there to have been elsewhere to be honest. It’s not like anyone is saying the NFL should have been called off this weekend ahead of every other.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Well, this whole thing has been as well managed as the country has since Brexit.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Jesus Christ are you still spouting utter nonsense in here? Touch some grass, man. Any crowd of people gives an increased risk of terrorism, it’s common sense. Something which in this thread you’ve clearly not shown any of
Yesterday it was not because of Napoli fans that thegame was moved, now the Arsenal match is not going ahead because???????????hmm.

The funeral is on Monday not when the games are on. If want to continue to insult me, carry on, genius

hobbers

So long as the Sheriff and Leeds games go ahead. Feck the London clubs.

If they so desperately wanted to have their futile gesture politics they should have called off next weekend's round of fixtures, not last weekend's. Alas the Prem decision makers lacked the basic intelligence to figure that out.

Chief123

Should have called off next weekend's round of fixtures, not last weekend's. Alas the Prem decision makers lacked the basic intelligence to figure that out.
Yeah it may actually become advantageous for us. Dare I say it, we could be joint top of the league if we win our game on Sunday.

hodgey123

Looking at the number of police in Edinburgh along this procession on live TV now, surely they are going to have to actually draft more in for the weekend over London which may threaten games elsewhere too? There are estimates of queues being hours and hours long when the Queen is lying in state which will need to be tightly policed, plus you will have various processions and other events as part of the whole event. Then you have what I presume will be a skeleton force that will need to be in place to respond to actual crime which won't just stop because the Queen's body is in town. This just makes last week's decision to cancel look even more ill-judged.

Paul the Wolf

If they so desperately wanted to have their futile gesture politics they should have called off next weekend's round of fixtures, not last weekend's. Alas the Prem decision makers lacked the basic intelligence to figure that out.
I'll be surprised if the Leeds game goes ahead but the PL is being told what to do by the government (despite saying they weren't) - need anyone say more

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Wednesday's were but on the Thursday Chelsea, Villa and Ipswich played as did all the other European teams
https://fr.soccerway.com/matches/2001/09/13/
Pretty sure they were all played a week later on the 20th, Ipswich, Chelsea and Kilmarnock games all have the 20th Sept listed on their match reports.

I may be wrong!

The chaos surrounding this weekends games and some midweek games shows what a shambles this has all been.

Paul the Wolf

Pretty sure they were all played a week later on the 20th, Ipswich, Chelsea and Kilmarnock games all have the 20th Sept listed on their match reports.

I may be wrong!

The chaos surrounding this weekends games and some midweek games shows what a shambles this has all been.
Maybe, I can't remember.
Everybody knew this was going to happen at some point. Total and utter incompetence.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
They should cancel all PL games this week and have the first ‘English’ game since she passed away as the England match.

Add the extra games on at the end of the season.

And they should announce so ASAP and stop dicking about - they get paid enough, don’t they?

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The saddest thing about all of this is that Sean Lock didn't get to experience and make fun of it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
They should cancel all PL games this week and have the first ‘English’ game since she passed away as the England match.

Add the extra games on at the end of the season.

And they should announce so ASAP and stop dicking about - they get paid enough, don’t they?
Haven't checked how long this world cup season goes on for but if it's towards the end of June, that's when a lot of players' contracts expire, so that might be a problem as well

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Haven't checked how long this world cup season goes on for but if it's towards the end of June, that's when a lot of players' contracts expire, so that might be a problem as well
There are also international games already scheduled at the end of the season.

Edwards6

The saddest thing about all of this is that Sean Lock didn't get to experience and make fun of it.
Check out some of the comedians on twitter, they're doing great work making fun of it.
Eshaan akbar, Freddy Quinne, Adam Rowe, Vittorio....