Is Fred Good or Bad at shooting?

Sgreddevil

He has a good shot in him.
His problem is consistency.
The difference with top attackers is due to the fact that they can replicate the good shots in at a high level of consistency.

SER19

It's something he's improved. It was comical when he joined.

Compared to somebody like rodri who was signed by city around the same time and played a similar number of games, rodri has 14 City goals Fred has 10 for United. Id say he's about standard, maybe a couple of goals a season off where he should be

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I’ve always said he’s extremely good at shooting but just lacks composure at times.

He needs like no backlift to shoot the ball which I find stunning

El Jefe

He has 10 goals in 179 matches for United. And he shoots a lot. Of course he's bad.
Exactly this. How many times has a loose ball rolled out to the edge of the box for Fred to shank it horribly wide and off targed. Also think of how many times Fred winds up to take a stupid shot and you scream at the TV for him to pass.

Even worse are the stupid attempts outside the box with his right foot.

A lot of posters here have short memories, his shooting is really bad. Worst of all our midfielders except Donny possibly but I only say that because he never shoots.

GodlovesUnited

I'd always been under the impression that Anderson was a goal threat when he played in Portugal, no idea where that came from, I was hugely disappointed when he came to us and seemingly couldn't hit the proverbial cow's arse.
His acceleration was unreal. That’s really what made him an effective player. He could advance the ball 20-30 yards with a few touches. He wasn’t great at striking the ball, but it doesn’t matter when you can glide by everyone else on the pitch.

Conor

He has no impulse control, and so tries things in less than optimal situations. When he has time, or takes a good enough touch to set himself up properly, he usually executes well.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
He should only shoot when it's the only obvious choice.

Raven

Not just shooting, overall he can look like our best and worst player, all in the same game. The disparity between the good things he does and the bad is probably the biggest in world football. I love him, the absolute waster.

Maybe that's just Fred's existence in a nutshell. He can probably knock together a fine spread for a dinner party, but when he tries to make a bowl of cereal, he burns the house down.
Lovely turn of phrase, proper laughed out loud in work.

norm87cro

Im gonna go with bad. Remeber Gibson? Yeah that was good shooting on a limited player if I ever saw one

glasgow 21

Was closer with last night's free kick than most over recent times.

Longshanks

I think you could ask is Fred good or bad at every aspect of Football and find the same answer.

Sometimes world class, sometimes non league and seemingly no middle ground.

NLunited

He has been more impressive lately. That free kick yesterday was the horse’s balls (please correct me here).

Valencia Shin Crosses

Purely striking the ball, he's good (which is why he hits a nice FK).

But from any sort of game situation or different shooting chance other than perfectly set from his feet, he's pretty terrible (so under pressure, volleys, first time shots, off balance etc.)

Also he can't shoot to save his life with his right, so it looks awkward some of the attempts he tries to get onto his left foot

Abraxas

He doesn't have many goals but he also doesn't have many games in a box to box or advanced roles. The bulk of those games are in a double pivot with the likes of McTominay, so a lot of protection for the defence was required. Since he hes played in more attacking roles under Ralf and Erik ten Hag he looks a bit more threatening for me.

I'd say his shooting is average. He can sometimes hit a decent ball but if I was setting up a shooting drill he certainly wouldn't be my choice for consistency.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
In general not so good, but I haven't seen him take many free kicks in the kind of position he did yesterday, he hit that pretty good so maybe he should be allowed a few more

SirScholes

For a professional footballer he’s shite

but like all pro players, can hit a ball every now and again

cyril C

It really depends on where the ball is coming from and angle of attack. You should notice that Fred prefer PASS with his left foot, SHOOT with his right foot. Any other sequence, school boy result.

The only certainty, is that he will 99% loss on 50-50 challenge, never expect him to save your ass as last man in front of keeper.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fred is good and bad at everything and I don't think I've quite seen another like him. There are times when he looks a smashing player and others when he makes you want to smash your head against something. Its not just performances and form but even the technical aside - he can go from doing things so smoothly to bumbling around like pub level player.

Okey

He tends to hang around our free kicks but almost never actually takes them. I guess he showed against Charlton that he should take a few. That aside, he's probably the definition of enigma.

NoPace

Bad in open play, good at free kicks. There's probably some wingers like this. Trincao maybe?