Is Fred the worst regular starter for United in living memory?

YouknowNani

Yes with 10 men we probably lose or draw that game.
:rolleyes:. With anyone in the team instead of Fred we would have. You can't argue against a direct assist and winning a penalty that literally won us the game.

Tyrion

That was pure accident.
You mean the constant bad passing.

Some of the most entertaining threads involve players who require a nuanced understanding of football to recognize their contributions. Keep it going lads :lol:
It is annoying when some posters defend certain players bad performances by saying they just understand football better. Does anyone outside of parts of the United fan base actually respect Fred?

UDontMessWith24

It is annoying when some posters defend certain players bad performances by saying they just understand football better. Does anyone outside of parts of the United fan base actually respect Fred?
Who cares? Nobody is even trying to claim he’s a world class DM, but when used properly and in the right system (as is the case with most role players) he can be hugely effective. He has a world class attribute which is stamina, he’s very good at winning the ball back, and one of his best attributes at Shaktar was his ability make quick passes between the lines to start attacks. Again, he’s a role player, and he needs a good sitting deep lying playmaker next to him to give him more freedom to roam, and an up-tempo system. Anyone who can’t figure out how hat he brings to the table needs to gain a more nuanced understanding of the game, but it’s not all that complicated. Get used to him though because he fits what Rangnik wants to do very well.

Tyrion

Who cares? Nobody is even trying to claim he’s a world class DM, but when used properly and in the right system (as is the case with most role players) he can be hugely effective. He has a world class attribute which is stamina, he’s very good at winning the ball back, and one of his best attributes at Shaktar was his ability make quick passes between the lines to start attacks. Again, he’s a role player, and he needs a good sitting deep lying playmaker next to him to give him more freedom to roam, and an up-tempo system. Anyone who can’t figure out how hat he brings to the table needs to gain a more nuanced understanding of the game, but it’s not all that complicated. Get used to him though because he fits what Rangnik wants to do very well.
Who cares? Well it would help tell us whether he's actually good or if people here are just blindly backing Fred as they do every United player.

He must be delighted to have your advice. What else will he be doing?

Stacks

I believe in a well coached team which presses as a team and not individuals Fred could become a great asset.

As long as he's kept to his strengths and the other players pick up the weaknesses in his game he could be one of the first names on the teamsheet
just being able to press is no where near enough.
How very British. His ball winning is overstated. I can't recall a Fred playing for a genuine top team winning CL but maybe my memory is foggy

Footyislife

How very British. His ball winning is overstated. I can't recall a Fred playing for a genuine top team winning CL but maybe my memory is foggy
It's actually a German mindset. And ball winning is not overstated, it's the basic foundation of top teams in modern football. Just go look at the statistics on when most goals are scored from open play (right after winning the ball back).

You can certainly say Fred must improve on not giving the ball away cheaply under pressure. But his ball winning ability, mobility, and stamina is why he starts for Brazil and will for Ralf and the next manager who comes after. Scot & Matic on the other hand are useless at this and is a very concerning problem for us to fix. Until we can do that, Fred essentially is doing the job of 2 midfielders. I'd like to see someone say you're doing great at your job if you have to do the job of 2 people.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It's actually a German mindset. And ball winning is not overstated, it's the basic foundation of top teams in modern football. Just go look at the statistics on when most goals are scored from open play (right after winning the ball back).

You can certainly say Fred must improve on not giving the ball away cheaply under pressure. But his ball winning ability, mobility, and stamina is why he starts for Brazil and will for Ralf and the next manager who comes after. Scot & Matic on the other hand are useless at this and is a very concerning problem for us to fix. Until we can do that, Fred essentially is doing the job of 2 midfielders. I'd like to see someone say you're doing great at your job if you have to do the job of 2 people.
well said. It’s not like any of the pool
Midfielders are chad ball players.
They are scrappy to a fault and move the ball forward fast (around the exact same percentage). They win back most of the time, track and don’t shut off. That’s all they do.. Our slower fans are clearly having problems computing this. There’s no other midfielder in this league spraying it around and running games with 90% pass completion. It’s a unicorn.

Fred x 2 and we are winning the midfield in every battle and setting up a lot of play. The problem is we don’t dictate play like that.

Most of the terrible posters in these threads would rather watch Pogba walk around and play the odd super pass off the outside of his boot and blame everyone else for why we aren’t winning.

We don’t win because most teams out work and out wit us and that’s before any skills come into it. Win the individual battles and the runs will come. Fred wins his battles far more often than he’s given credit for.

how has the penny not dropped yet.

Jesus.

Last edited:

Levenstein

I mean stepping on De Gea’s foot.

I think his passing is better higher up the pitch as he don’t have positional awareness to be a DM. In tight areas and when team mates are closer he is very good with one touch passing. I want to see that closer to opponent goal.

Support our player not whine about his passing. He is one of the only players who is improving his game constantly (Forward runs in the box, contributions to goals). And he will improve more.

Stacks

They are scrappy to a fault and move the ball forward fast (around the exact same percentage). They win back most of the time, track and don’t shut off. That’s all they do.. Our slower fans are clearly having problems computing this. There’s no other midfielder in this league spraying it around and running games with 90% pass completion. It’s a unicorn.

Fred x 2 and we are winning the midfield in every battle and setting up a lot of play. The problem is we don’t dictate play like that.

Most of the terrible posters in these threads would rather watch Pogba walk around and play the odd super pass off the outside of his boot and blame everyone else for why we aren’t winning.

We don’t win because most teams out work and out wit us and that’s before any skills come into it. Win the individual battles and the runs will come. Fred wins his battles far more often than he’s given credit for.

Jesus.
I said HIS ball winning is overstated. Think I posted the stats from Squawka. People act like he does 2 X everyone but McTom actually has the best per 90 actions in midfield off ball

Ali Dia

I said HIS ball winning is overstated. Think I posted the stats from Squawka. People act like he does 2 X everyone but McTom actually has the best per 90 actions in midfield off ball
thats because he spends all of his time off the ball

When’s the last time McT tackled, won the ball and set up a goal or directly assisted?

Or he just ran some simple play and we went and scored?

Last edited:

GL21

Jesus.
Maybe troy deeney is wrong...but all I can think is thank God we don't have 2 Fred's

Whenever you play against Fred – we certainly did it – you let him get it.

“He has to take three or four touches. He doesn’t know how to do one or two touches.
“Anyone who watches his game will know when he gets it facing the wrong way, turns, turns, chops, chops
“Three or four times a game he will give you the ball. Anyone who studies football will know that.

“You have that one person who is the trigger and you are waiting for it and bounce off him.”
Troy Deeney

UDontMessWith24

His ball winning is not overstated but when the organization of our press and spacing on the pitch has been completely amateurish over the past 3 seasons it’s harder to win balls when you’re hung out to dry in the middle of the park.

A Fred playing for a genuine team top team winning CL? What’s that got to do with anything?

Kostov

Can you please elaborate on this? There is a post couple of pages back that shows how much of a nonsense this is, I mean the part in which you state Fred does McT job. McT does even more defensive work yet you write this.

@TrustInJanuzaj mate is this hate on my part? I genuinely try to engage in a discussion about this non founded claims.

championo

Top Stalker

This x1000. Opponents are opening my mocking him and Man Utd, he has been flagged as a weak link and is the initiation point for weak teams starting to press us anywhere on the field if he has the ball because they say he will give the wrong pass. It is incredible. But Babe still hold the title.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Can you please elaborate on this? There is a post couple of pages back that shows how much of a nonsense this is, I mean the part in which you state Fred does McT job. McT does even more defensive work yet you write this.

@TrustInJanuzaj mate is this hate on my part? I genuinely try to engage in a discussion about this non founded claims.
As always on forums there’s some hyperbole in play but I do agree with that posters general point. I don’t think Fred does the whole job of two but he certainly pulls his weight far more than his partners. McTominay has a bad tendency to hide and he really doesn’t put himself about as much as he should. Matic to be fair is still the best midfielder at the club in terms of positional awareness and interceptions but he’s lost his legs completely in the last 18 months.

I do think you let your bias of Fred prevent you seeing the reality in that he’s clearly the best Midfielder we have and is the most suitable for a top side. I don’t think his partners suit him particularly and that doesn’t help anyone. Get someone new alongside Fred in this higher press system and I suspect you’ll see a different player.

Kostov

As always on forums there’s some hyperbole in play but I do agree with that posters general point. I don’t think Fred does the whole job of two but he certainly pulls his weight far more than his partners. McTominay has a bad tendency to hide and he really doesn’t put himself about as much as he should. Matic to be fair is still the best midfielder at the club in terms of positional awareness and interceptions but he’s lost his legs completely in the last 18 months.

I do think you let your bias of Fred prevent you seeing the reality in that he’s clearly the best Midfielder we have and is the most suitable for a top side. I don’t think his partners suit him particularly and that doesn’t help anyone. Get someone new alongside Fred in this higher press system and I suspect you’ll see a different player.
What you are accusing McT can be put on Fred. I have no problem admitting that, Scott hides, lacks composure, positional awareness, lacks defensive instincts, reckless, inconsistent passing and ball control, and I probably missed something, but that also counts on the other guy, which many seem to fail to realize or admit. And let’s be real, some of the Fred failing are even more spectacular.

GlasgowCeltic

Maybe troy deeney is wrong...but all I can think is thank God we don't have 2 Fred's

Whenever you play against Fred – we certainly did it – you let him get it.

“He has to take three or four touches. He doesn’t know how to do one or two touches.
“Anyone who watches his game will know when he gets it facing the wrong way, turns, turns, chops, chops
“Three or four times a game he will give you the ball. Anyone who studies football will know that.

“You have that one person who is the trigger and you are waiting for it and bounce off him.”
Troy Deeney
Dickish comments about a fellow professional in fairness

chiz2kul

Are y'all working on your apology posts yet?
Fred is going to thrive under this new system.

Eli Zee

I say it after every game - fred is underrated by most here. Cant wait to see everyone's minds change as we play better under an actual system

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Mods please don't close this thread. Rashford went to shit the moment you locked the "burst Rashy's bubble" thread.

Bwuk

Scored more league goals than Harry Kane this season

GL21

No apology but if United win and fred contributes like this I'll eat humble pie until the cows come home

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I say it after every game - fred is underrated by most here. Cant wait to see everyone's minds change as we play better under an actual system
He's rated so lowly on here that you could still be calling him shit with that post.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The McFred name really does him no favours. He's a much better player than McTominay. He's capable of making mistakes, no doubt about that, but he's always been a good ball winner.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yeah, this system is tailormade for Fred's energy and work rate. That he didn't make a single error speaks volumes to his comfort levels under the gegenpress.

Mctominay is far less suited however. He's simply not mobile enough.

Ali Dia

This thread has been great for weeding out reactive posters who don’t understand who to blame for our not being great. Hint: it’s not Fred, he’s our best midfielder and has been for ages. I fecking love him. adding goals and assists and motm performances to his already freakish work rate? He’s unique.

el3mel

How come this thread reached 19th page ? Even in Fred's worst days, this question still looked absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited: