Is Gareth Southgate a shiite England manager?

AlPistacho

The best physical comparison to his intelligence is that he’s like someone who will never be able to bench press more than his body weight. Not his fault, that’s just his limit.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
England managers are why I never ever will get sucked into the hype. Leaving your best player(Foden) on the bench in a major tournament because you have to play the guys “ who got you here” is just a losing mentality. I’d rather be embarrassed playing exciting football than being frustrated and indifferent playing not to lose.

AndyMUFC

They didn't do as well as they did because of Southgate, but rather in spite of him. And I disagree about struggling to win with another manager. I know nobody likes to rate England, but this England team is deeper than any team in the world. Everyone talks about Brazil but their front 3 wouldn't even start for England apart for Vin Jr
We've got a lot of forward talent, agreed, but still think we lack players to get the ball to them, similar to how United have struggled with Maguire and McFred in defence and midfield over the past few years. Bellingham is better at progressing the ball but can't rely solely on a 19 year old to do it every game.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He’s a numpty.

At club management level he’d get mauled in the PL, and he knows it.

A poser, a salesman, a yes-man, and above all a charlatan.

I’ll never forgive him for that Euros final in match tactics and line up, LET ALONE the penalty decisions.

Should’ve been sacked the next day.

Valencia Shin Crosses

We've got a lot of forward talent, agreed, but still think we lack players to get the ball to them, similar to how United have struggled with Maguire and McFred in defence and midfield over the past few years. Bellingham is better at progressing the ball but can't rely solely on a 19 year old to do it every game.
Bellingham and Rice both have the passing range to progress the ball, as do Stones and Shaw. But Sterling and Kane offer 0 threat in running behind a backline, and Mount isn’t the type of player to make up for that with runs in behind from midfield.

I think you either start Rashford on the left and have him play the role he does with United in stretching the pitch, and probably start Henderson alongside Rice to allow Bellingham the freedom further up the pitch. Would add some control in the middle of the pitch. Or you could start Foden as the most advanced midfielder but I don’t know how that helps the midfield as much.

I’d also probably start Ben White over Trippier, gives a better passing option and more familiarity on that flank with Saka

Skills

Snitch
Bellingham and Rice both have the passing range to progress the ball, as do Stones and Shaw. But Sterling and Kane offer 0 threat in running behind a backline, and Mount isn’t the type of player to make up for that with runs in behind from midfield.

I think you either start Rashford on the left and have him play the role he does with United in stretching the pitch, and probably start Henderson alongside Rice to allow Bellingham the freedom further up the pitch. Would add some control in the middle of the pitch. Or you could start Foden as the most advanced midfielder but I don’t know how that helps the midfield as much.

I’d also probably start Ben White over Trippier, gives a better passing option and more familiarity on that flank with Saka
Out of Sterling and Saka, it's Saka who doesn't have the pace to cause any problems in behind.

MalaysianRed7

With the wealth of talent at his disposal (quite literally, considering he’s disposed the likes of Foden, Sancho, Toney and Wilson), England should be beating the USA comfortably rather than failing to create a single chance. Embarrassing performance.

432JuanMata

As a non England fan I was in shock not seeing Foden start nevermind not come on so I only imagine how English fans would think of that decision

Bert_

He’s a numpty.

At club management level he’d get mauled in the PL, and he knows it.

A poser, a salesman, a yes-man, and above all a charlatan.

I’ll never forgive him for that Euros final in match tactics and line up, LET ALONE the penalty decisions.

Should’ve been sacked the next day.
He already has been. Failed at Middlesbrough and then went and hung around St George's Park long enough until someone let him manage the under-21s.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Theres so much talent in the England squad and you lot see fit to ruin it by having a risk averse manager like him in charge.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Theres so much talent in the England squad and you lot see fit to ruin it by having a risk averse manager like him in charge.
I said the same a while ago. You've got an OAP driving what could potentially be an F1 car. England's defence isn't amazing but can be solid, everything ahead has stacks of talent. The right manager could have took England all the way in one of the last couple of tournaments I think.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I don’t think it’s Gareth. He is an average manager but most certainly not detrimental to their hopes for success. Fitness levels aren’t the greatest with this squad. Perhaps it’s because of the ludicrous number of games everyone is expected to play in the league season.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I said the same a while ago. You've got an OAP driving what could potentially be an F1 car. England's defence isn't amazing but can be solid, everything ahead has stacks of talent. The right manager could have took England all the way in one of the last couple of tournaments I think.
Yeah. Great analogy.

The CBs are probably their weakest position all other positions they have top quality in.

Flexdegea

Aye he 100% shite.

It's smashing they keep him there because I think they will do a lot better without him.

Foden on the bench :lol: :lol: mount playing has to be a will up.

So daft surprised that no one is going mad about it. Shades of scholes with Eriksen, theyve the talent there but seem to be doing the classic English thing of poor management and media is even worse but have influence.

Gazza

I don’t think it’s Gareth. He is an average manager but most certainly not detrimental to their hopes for success. Fitness levels aren’t the greatest with this squad. Perhaps it’s because of the ludicrous number of games everyone is expected to play in the league season.
The same league season every other nation's players participate in? Lame excuse.

An average manager certainly will be detrimental to your team's hopes of success when you come across teams whose managers are above average, that just logically follows from use of the word average tbf.

Pronewbie

Peep
What got you here won't get you there. He was the right man to stabilise the squad when he was first hired. The Euro loss was when it became obvious a change was needed. It's a bit like Ole after the loss in the Europa final.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
That’s a terrible excuse, everyone else is facing the exact same issue.

Southgate has coasted on his luck with easy draws throughout his stint and he doesn’t have any clue on how to turn things around when England needs it against better opponents.

fecking hypocrite who claims he picks players based on their form when you watch him play his favourites no matter their form for club or country.

croadyman

Problem is we haven't had that quality player on the ball since Scholesy. We just cannot seem to develop that player anymore unfortunately.

croadyman

Dread to think which yes man FA have in mind with Potter & Howe now off the table. Actually they will crawl into shell and keep Southgate on.

shahzy

He's honestly useless. England have done well as they have up to this point over the last few years IN SPITE of Southgate. Not due to Southgate. This is the most talented group of English players in decades AND other countries aren't as stacked. If there's any time to win a big competition it's within this current 4 year block.

fallengt

He wanted to draw against USA. For political reasons or tactical reasons, I am not sure but there's no way around it.
England just sat back and didn't press in opposition third, they only did so with 10 minutes left. USA didn't look like they had goals in them, no reason for such cowardly approach. Or maybe he's really that clueless...
Anyway it's such a horseshit match for audiences.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is shite because he failed to utilise the most talented group of English player to play to their strength, and set up the team to play in pussy way in final match vs Italy.

But he also send England to Euro final last summer. He was also right about Saka (insist of playing him last Euro) and Sancho (see nothing special in him and drop him instead), which is correct decision in hindsight.

Thiagoal

I’ve just reminded myself of the routes England had in the last WC and Euros- my word we got lucky!! There is literally only one match that England won in both tournaments where they maybe weren’t strong favourites (Germany).

Amongst them though, there are a multitude of shocking performances and results- losing to Belgium twice and Croatia, struggling against Tunisia, drawing against Scotland etc etc.

Southgate has had competition draws that are so easy it almost looks rigged yet still has made extremely hard work of it. He seemed genuinely delighted by picking up a draw against the mens football powerhouse USA yesterday! Can’t stand the bloke!

ROFLUTION

I really hate this narrative. It is nonsense.

Southgate’s tournament record is an absolute sham…

He has only beaten a very fecking average Germany side in Knockout football.

And lost to France, Croatia, and Belgium (x2)

Had we of been dumped out by a Denmark or a Colombia, he would have rightly been dragged through the streets.

and when he inevitably loses his job, he won’t get a job in the prem for love nor money
But you can say this about every team that meets opponents of big quality. Take France or Spain and you can go some years back and say they lost to x and y.

You scored a lot of goals against Iran and you’re through already after 2 games. Some part of the traditional english fan base is just soooo moany and have never been satisfied with anything. Considering you’ve rarely been a great team combined, and havent won since 66 (The year Eric was born :drool:) your standard is somehow that you should reach the World cup or Euro finals and with many goals / great wins or else you’re shit.

Kag

Last night is why his pragmatism will be his undoing.

This England team has no business playing as poorly as that.

RopersReturn

Just charting our possible route to the final. We’d likely meet Ecuador in the last 16, who looked tougher opponents than the US last night in their game against Holland. If we got through to the quarters we’d then probably be playing France, and if Southgate try’s to play deep against the French we’ll be hammered.

Last edited:

Bugs Bunny

Supports
Manchester City
I’ve just reminded myself of the routes England had in the last WC and Euros- my word we got lucky!! There is literally only one match that England won in both tournaments where they maybe weren’t strong favourites (Germany).

Amongst them though, there are a multitude of shocking performances and results- losing to Belgium twice and Croatia, struggling against Tunisia, drawing against Scotland etc etc.

Southgate has had competition draws that are so easy it almost looks rigged yet still has made extremely hard work of it. He seemed genuinely delighted by picking up a draw against the mens football powerhouse USA yesterday! Can’t stand the bloke!
Have England ever beaten a genuinely decent side with Southgate as manager?

I'm struggling to think of one.

mikeyt

He may be a good 'man manager' but we need a far more tactically astute coach to stand a chance against anyone half decent.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Have England ever beaten a genuinely decent side with Southgate as manager?

I'm struggling to think of one.
It depends a lot on what you mean by decent team but they beat Spain, Croatia, Belgium and Germany.

CM

Southgate's in game management is genuinely horrific. He's happy to watch and wait while we cede possession and territory to an inferior team for large parts of the game.

His post match comments were completely bizarre. Almost like playing for a 0-0 was the gameplan.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Tactically miles off it

RopersReturn

Southgate's in game management is genuinely horrific. He's happy to watch and wait while we cede possession and territory to an inferior team for large parts of the game.

His post match comments were completely bizarre. Almost like playing for a 0-0 was the gameplan.
This is pretty much sums up Southgate’s limitations. Neither he or Steve Holland seem capable or have demonstrated any ability to change tactics, when we’re under pressure.

Member 101269

Yesterday anyone could see we we're getting out paced out run, so he puts on players that slow the game or are slow (I'm not including Rashford who got a few minutes). There was no proactivity to change the game, tactically, man-management he's not up to it.

GazTheLegend

I guarantee you he was absolutely delighted with the 0-0. Players looked under instructions to me. Just keep ball at best.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Southgate is flat for sure but the US have almost the same players England have, and mostly playing in the same competitions? I mean, it is not surprising to see a cagey game, pretty evenly matched.