Is Garnacho about to be "Cavanied"? | No

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The fact he grew up in Spain with all the racist shit in stadia there has completely wiped any benefit of the doubt I had for him.

Drifter

American
Yikes. Unnecessary commas, spelled gorillas wrong, capital letter in mid-sentence, apparently. Gorillas because they are tough. Would you prefer a sheep emoji?
He could have chosen a lion or a bear. If that were De Gea, he would not have chosen a gorilla

Ace Krampus

So there’s probably black people out there offended, which means this white kid needs to be brought down a peg or two to show how progressive us white folk are?

This idea that when something is said that could offend somebody , it needs to be punished is such a uniquely nutty online concept.
That's what this sect of people would have you believe, yes.

I like to think it's only an online concept but I strongly doubt it. I'm just glad I graduated from college a long time ago.

saivet

Have no issue with Onana's response but I also don't think we should be dismissive of the tweet. Garnacho has to be more aware of the connotations of the things he posts publicly. I might not be fuming but personally wouldn't be too pleased or comfortable if I was in Onana's shoes.

VanKenny

G

Brilliant tweet, if he gets a ban because of that, it would be idiotic beyond belief.

Honeslty, if he has any right to feel offended, its by the people that immediately called Garnacho racist or found legit offense in the tweet. You have a kid praising his teammate for his strenght, and then a bunch of random people just screaming to Onana "look! Hes calling you a gorilla because you are black! ", and he has to explain to them that it isnt the case and their interpretation is incorrect, and that Garnacho made the connection for other attributes that gorillas are known for, GOOD attributes.

Do guys who think like this dont realize what they are doing? Its much more racist than any thought that ever crossed trough Garnacho's mind.

GreatDane

Because he already decided that's the narrative he's going with. Like some sort of mundane version of the Minority Report psychics that live in the milk
Yup, that's it. Like the FA he's choosing to draw a comparison between a gorilla and Onana.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Have no issue with Onana's response but I also don't think we should be dismissive of the tweet. Garnacho has to be more aware of the connotations of the things he posts publicly. I might not be fuming but personally wouldn't be too pleased or comfortable if I was in Onana's shoes.
As he's said himself, you don't really get to choose what he is offended by.

I could understand if the context was different but its just completely beyond obvious that Garnacho has not meant any offence. Trying to pretend otherwise and be offended on behalf of someone as if you have authority over them is not a comfortable position in itself. At all. Espcially not when the subject is racism. Its not up to you to tell someone when they're allowed to feel or not feel racially abused.

saivet

I could understand if the context was different but its just completely beyond obvious that Garnacho has not meant any offence. Trying to pretend otherwise and be offended on behalf of someone as if you have authority over them is not a comfortable position in itself. At all. Espcially not when the subject is racism. Its not up to you to tell someone when they're allowed to feel or not feel racially abused.
Just because he's not offended doesn't make it okay by default though, nor does it mean no one can feel uncomfortable by it.

VanKenny

Just because he's not offended doesn't make it okay by default though, nor does it mean no one can feel uncomfortable by it.
People are free to feel uncomfortable or offended by whatever nonsense they want to. Its up to each individual to choose which demons they want to invite inside their own mind. Thats responsibility of the individual though.

Garnacho meant no harm, and Onana felt praised by the tweet. End of the story. If people want to discuss it for years on end or make a big deal out of it, people are free to do so. Banning Garnacho from playing would be IMO idiotic, but i guess if people in charge of making these decisions do reach that conclusion, it is what it is. Either accept idiots are in charge of the FA or create my own association from scratch, so at the end of the day i guess we all have to coexist with other people and their dumb opinions.

Kellyiom

There is seemingly no end to the idiocy of these guys.
Yeah! Glad you said it because I'm lost for words. These guys really are dumb, their lifestyles must insulate them from the real world so much that it's unreal. After everything that's been happening, you would think...

JediSith

He could have chosen a lion or a bear. If that were De Gea, he would not have chosen a gorilla
If it was a bear some people might still have found offence.

A gorilla can clearly be used as a racist insult. But on the flip side, it could also be a positive analogy eg Mark Henry calling himself the Silverback or Koby Byron the Black Mamba, or simply just an analogy without thinking about race.

It really is one where I think the intent is what matters. It’s not like a racial slur word.

In this case the intent was not to insult. The Gorilla might have been a positive attribute about race and maybe also country, we forget Onana is from a country that has wild gorillas so might have himself made reference to that just like people in Russia often reference wolves etc or it might have had nothing to do with race and just the fact that Onana is big and defends his territory which is what gorillas do

Kellyiom

And I'd have just thought these guys have PR people doing this for them and there's a double-check on how anything could be perceived and so on. While I've winced at a couple of Onana's moments, I've been impressed by his willingness to be accountable and someone with that attitude right at the base of our 'spine' has got to be a good thing.

Hammondo

So there’s probably black people out there offended, which means this white kid needs to be brought down a peg or two to show how progressive us white folk are?

This idea that when something is said that could offend somebody , it needs to be punished is such a uniquely nutty online concept.
I didn't say that.

Kellyiom

If it was a bear some people might still have found offence.

A gorilla can clearly be used as a racist insult. But on the flip side, it could also be a positive analogy eg Mark Henry calling himself the Silverback or Koby Byron the Black Mamba, or simply just an analogy without thinking about race.

It really is one where I think the intent is what matters. It’s not like a racial slur word.

In this case the intent was not to insult. The Gorilla might have been a positive attribute about race and maybe also country, we forget Onana is from a country that has wild gorillas so might have himself made reference to that just like people in Russia often reference wolves etc or it might have had nothing to do with race and just the fact that Onana is big and defends his territory which is what gorillas do
Yeah the animal itself is an amazing creature, intelligent, protective, like you say and Russians would be proud of a bear or wolf analogy. It's just that for guys my age, when games were a lot more sinister back in the 80s it carries connotations but hey, Onana definitely doesn't need my vicarious outrage!

Hammondo

Because it’s an image of two huge dudes captioned with two emojis of muscular animals.

If you single out one of the individuals and say the emojis are both aimed at him and your reasoning for doing so is the colour of that individual’s skin, then there’s something going on in your thought process that recognises race above all other attributes.
It's got a very long and well known history with being racist towards black people, you would need to be ignorant not to notice it.

RedDevilQuebecois

If Onana is not offended, can we close the case already?

Besides, a gorilla is a very majestic animal. Strong, intelligent, protective.

mu4c_20le

People are free to feel uncomfortable or offended by whatever nonsense they want to. Its up to each individual to choose which demons they want to invite inside their own mind. Thats responsibility of the individual though.
Can see where the post is going when it starts out like this

laughtersassassin

That word is also frowned upon by the way.
I categorically disagree with that. I'd call Allison a beast of a goalkeeper. I call Haaland a beast. I call Hojlund a beast in terms of his physique. And Onana was a beast to win us that game on Tuesday.

If people want to pretend calling a sport person a beast offensive then I quite frankly think that's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Kaos

Why am I hearing a 3 match ban is likely? Didn't City's Bernardo get a one match ban for something similar?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If Onana is not offended, can we close the case already?

Besides, a gorilla is a very majestic animal. Strong, intelligent, protective.
No. Because the FA don't require Onana to say he was offended to take action, for very good reason. And the pertinent question now is whether he will be charged or not.

samlee86

Here we go with another witch hunt. You lot need to put down your phones and go outside and breathe in some fresh air. It will do your mental health the world of good.

Clearly Garnacho didn’t mean anything by it

Onana isn’t offended by it. They on good terms by the pictures they post of each other.

Yet some of you want your pound of flesh. Give it a rest

Righteous Steps

I don’t think Garnacho had Ill intentions, but I think Onanas opinion isn’t the be all and end all either, there are Black people who have suffered clear racist abuse which they haven’t felt offended by, yet other black people have, it’s not just a matter of what one individual thinks when you’re looking at something that has affected a large group of people(racism).

CloneMC16

This is why players have PR firms run their accounts. Dumb stuff like this is unlikely to happen. The guy is an idiot. He will get a ban. Hopefully for just one game.