Is Garnacho about to be "Cavanied"? | No

fallengt

Its a perfectly good analogy. You have that "inside joke" on an email with your black colleague and include the rest of the department, you will expect people will have something to say.
You don't need to play "whataboutism", mate. Just look at this thread and comments below Onana's post and other people's recover & retweet. Very few see it as "racism".
It was just stupid of Garnacho do it publicly because there is no way the mass know of this angle of their relationship, and Onana, Ganarcho, their colleges are not the only people on twitter. It is bad place for bad "inside jokes", those are often very bad in the first place.

"But Onana is not only black person on the planet! He's not the only one that can get offended" Okay? There's no way to know each of their individual view in this topic then? but from the "mini environments" that we can monitor, as I said above, most don't see it as a racist act. Sure, we don't what their relationship to say it could be approvable (if done behind close door) but they get benefit of the doubt, since they're teammates and just won a very close game in last minutes.

My colleges are not your colleges and they're certainly not Onana, none of them can speak for each other in this particular subject. No need to play this game unless one can prove the otherwise.
If Garnacho get banned by FA, it'll be deserved but it wouldn't be about racism any more as Cavani's episode has proved.

Last edited:

michaelfernandes387

Likely the dumb, stuckup FA will give him a ban. When the donkey henderson said something malicious, of course he was a saint. Idiot brits

gaffs

You don't need to play "whataboutism", mate. Just look at this thread and comments below Onana's post and other people's recover & retweet. Very few see it as "racism".
It was just stupid of Garnacho do it publicly because there is no way the mass know of this angle of their relationship, and Onana, Ganarcho, their colleges are not the only people on twitter. It is bad place for bad "inside jokes", those are often very bad in the first place.

"But Onana is not only black person on the planet! He's not the only one that can get offended" Okay? There's no way to know each of their individual view in this topic then? but from the "mini environments" that we can monitor, as I said above, most don't see it as a racist act. Sure, we don't what their relationship to say it could be approvable (if done behind close door) but they get benefit of the doubt, since they're teammates and just won a very close game in last minutes.

My colleges are not your colleges and they're certainly not Onana, none of them can speak for each other in this particular subject. No need to play this game unless one can prove the otherwise.
If Garnacho get banned by FA, it'll be deserved but it wouldn't be about racism any more as Cavani's episode has proved.
Inside joke? What you mean?
You saying Garnacho calls Onana a Gorilla at Carrington?

I don't think Garnacho intended to offend, and clearly it wasn't offensive to Onana. But it is massively ignorant to think this is ok.

Another MUFC self own. This club, its manager and its players cant help but shooting themselves in the dick.

Okey

Not at all.

It shows that the viewer of the post understands that calling someone, or referring to someone being like any kind of primate has caused huge amounts of pain, suffering, belittlement, violence and discrimination to black people. It has had history altering and culturally destroying effects upon people of the Africa diaspora.

Seriously??? I'd wager that post caused zero actual offence. It just presented something for the woke brigade to jump on. I'm black African myself. If any black person here felt any offence, or even felt anything on seeing that post, outside of the melodrama, I'd love to hear it. These culture wars are tiring to be honest.

Okey

Most of the people up in arms about Garnacho's post have no idea what actual racism is. If posts like that are what we're worried about, then we've almost reached utopia.

tomaldinho1

What about white Gorillas though? That's the bigger issue. All Gorillas matter.

/s
Brock Lesnar was nicknamed the vanilla gorilla and there was an NBA player called the same. Thinking about it there are a few white athletes, Darren Till is another, who use it.

fallengt

In a good "non racist" manner, yea. Maybe they both call each other that. It's a possibility.
Is it bad taste? maybe, who am i to judge. But shit like these should never be in public because the mass don't reach the same way as they do. It's called "inside" for a reason

lex talionis

I see the gorilla emoji as harmless and Onana himself sees it as harmless, but the reality is what it is, and such a post should never be posted by a professional athlete for obvious reasons. Hopefully the punishment is just an admonition and nothing more, but a suspension may be coming.

Bert_

Emojis moving from cute text character manipulations to what they are now was bad enough. Society regressing to hieroglyphs to communicate is going to lead to any form of context being lost.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
All common sense will be lost if he gets banned because he’s clearly referring to Onana’s strength & power. But next time please refer to an ox or something.

STYLOISRED

Funny because is certain parts of Africa, warriors and wrestlers associate with the Gorilla symbolism. Strong, tough, flamboyant.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Inside joke? What you mean?

I don't think Garnacho intended to offend, and clearly it wasn't offensive to Onana. But it is massively ignorant to think this is ok.

Another MUFC self own. This club, its manager and its players cant help but shooting themselves in the dick.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he called Onana an animal, a beast, etc. He’s an imposing figure and character and he exuded power after that penalty. Beast tended to be word we used as kids for the players that towered over everyone else on the pitch, or just when someone totalled the other kid. It could be construed as having negative connotations. But it just didn’t…

saivet

Seriously??? I'd wager that post caused zero actual offence. It just presented something for the woke brigade to jump on. I'm black African myself. If any black person here felt any offence, or even felt anything on seeing that post, outside of the melodrama, I'd love to hear it. These culture wars are tiring to be honest.
I wouldn't say I was offended but it definitely made me cringe and feel a bit uncomfortable about it. Recognise that the intent was not there but given the racist connotations with gorilla's. Not say he should be banned or what a punishment should be but I don't think it should be swept under the rug as mates having a laugh or as banter. Again not saying this is there case here but there are a lot of cases of 'innocent' racially problematic banter that happens and none of the involved parties are upset or offended, but I don't think that automatically makes it okay.

Ananke

Emojis moving from cute text character manipulations to what they are now was bad enough. Society regressing to hieroglyphs to communicate is going to lead to any form of context being lost.
I agree. The problem with emojis is they can be taken in whatever context the reader wants to take them in. Using a gorilla for instance: strong, powerful, black, hairy, lesser intelligence, impulsive, dangerous.

Im not saying this is the case (100% believe this not to be), but Garnacho could have easily put those emojis up with racist intent and say actually it was the positive things being referred to. This is the problem with using them, it’s all up to interpretation.

Sir Erik ten Hag

He’ll almost certainly get banned, but for being careless rather than being racist. Anyone with a brain cell knows what he meant, he had absolutely zero intention of racially abusing his team mate but as a professional footballer he has a responsibility and unfortunately for him he’s failed in his responsibilities on this occasion.
Congratulations. You gave FA the valid reason they are looking for.

Redstain

I agree. The problem with emojis is they can be taken in whatever context the reader wants to take them in. Using a gorilla for instance: strong, powerful, black, hairy, lesser intelligence, impulsive, dangerous.

Im not saying this is the case (100% believe this not to be), but Garnacho could have easily put those emojis up with racist intent and say actually it was the positive things being referred to. This is the problem with using them, it’s all up to interpretation.
Exactly that is the issue, especially with that modified image of Saka that went viral last season when he missed penalty it's common sense for any professional to have awareness when they do things.

The Urban Goose

...I don't think it should be swept under the rug as mates having a laugh or as banter. Again not saying this is there case here but there are a lot of cases of 'innocent' racially problematic banter that happens and none of the involved parties are upset or offended, but I don't think that automatically makes it okay.
I don't think there's any chance if it being swept under internally, the PR people will be all over him (and rightly so).

I am surprised it happened in the first place though, after Cavani I expected them to be very hot on racial sensitivity in their media training sessions.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I regularly buy Gorilla Glue because it’s dam strong glue for fixing things. In fact it’s best I’ve ever bought. Its strength is optimised by its logo which is a prominent picture of a Gorilla. Gorillas have long been associated with brutal Strength so this utter nonsensical nonsense needs to stop now.
Brutal strenght it derogatory when used to describe human yes?

The next time a poster here called Onana Gorilla he'll get the knock from admin.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
When we get deep down into the root of this problem we'll realise it's because people didn't take a Philosophy of Language module at uni, nor wrote a 2,000 word essay about Wittgenstein's concept of language games.

I'll bet not a single sausage at the FA has perused even excerpts from Philosophical Investigations. Nor been struck by the metaphor of two builders conversing in grunts: a language that seems primitive but works for the two interlocutors.

The problem is further. A human one. All humans seek to possess control of things they don't understand. A conversation between Garnacho and Onana stands in personal isolation, but everyone else wants to feel part of it. To feel special.

It's a shame but I won't judge. It takes a truly loathsome individual to cast the first stone.

4 match ban for Evra.

Glorio

Not at all.

It shows that the viewer of the post understands that calling someone, or referring to someone being like any kind of primate has caused huge amounts of pain, suffering, belittlement, violence and discrimination to black people. It has had history altering and culturally destroying effects upon people of the Africa diaspora.
Yes - seriously.
I don't use X (or whatever social media outlet l Garnacho posted on), but whereas Onana got the meaning behind it and wasn't offended, if any of my workmates called me a gorilla in a friendly way, I don't know about you, but it wouldn't sit well with me - I'd have a quiet word. Why? Because all sorts primates have been used to denigrate black people through history. It would be categorically stupid to try and pretend that such a connection doesn't exist.

It is an ignorant post, likely innocent, but ignorant all the same. So while I'm not offended by this incident, I wouldn't assume it's the same for every other black person. In fact, statements I've seen on this thread like "anyone offended should grow up" are particularly offensive.

Last edited:

Okey

Yes - seriously.
I don't use X (or whatever social media outlet l Garnacho posted on), but whereas Onana got the meaning behind it and wasn't offended, if any of my workmates called me a gorilla in a friendly way, I don't know about you, but it wouldn't sit well with me - I'd have a quiet word. Why? Because all sorts primates have been used to denigrate black people through history. It would be categorically stupid to try and pretend that such a connection doesn't exist.

It is an ignorant post, likely innocent, but ignorant all the same. So while I'm not offended by this incident, I wouldn't assume it's the same for every other black person. In fact, statements I've seen on this thread like "anyone offended should grow up" are particularly offensive.
Except he didn't call Onana a gorilla. But hey, we're all entitled to our opinions on this.

ken11

Even if I were black, I'd be honored to be compared to an alpha beast like a silverback gorilla. It's not like gorillas have colors. This fecking world...

Grande

When we get deep down into the root of this problem we'll realise it's because people didn't take a Philosophy of Language module at uni, nor wrote a 2,000 word essay about Wittgenstein's concept of language games.

I'll bet not a single sausage at the FA has perused even excerpts from Philosophical Investigations. Nor been struck by the metaphor of two builders conversing in grunts: a language that seems primitive but works for the two interlocutors.

The problem is further. A human one. All humans seek to possess control of things they don't understand. A conversation between Garnacho and Onana stands in personal isolation, but everyone else wants to feel part of it. To feel special.

It's a shame but I won't judge. It takes a truly loathsome individual to cast the first stone.

4 match ban for Evra.
The FA have all climbed a ladder, looking for the lost flies, and now they’ve kicked the ladder, they can’t get down from the attic.

Of that we cannot speak, we must ban.

jadaba

FA to take no action against Garnacho. A sensible outcome, it would've been excessive and unhelpful to punish him.