Is it ever okay to stop supporting your football club

Would you ever switch allegiance from the team you support to another in the same league?

• Total voters

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I don't have any issues with people who stop supporting a team if something has changed fundamentally about the club. I'm not talking about the team just suddenly not being competitively, but more so if it comes out the club has actively been cheating/corruption/drugs/racism etc.

I personally stopped supporting a team, when it came out and they got caught for a massive culture of performance enhancing drugs that was supported by the club itself. Admittedly I wasn't the closest of followers, and haven't really picked up another team in their place properly though.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If you want to stop supporting the overpaid crybaby team then just start supporting the women team. I find most of the players in there likeable.

kthanksbye

This might be unpopular but I'd say yes.
I've been mentioning this here since a few weeks, but this is probably the best thread to explain it.
I've stopped supporting Manchester united, I don't hate them, but I've stopped calling myself a Manchester united fan, it'll always be a club who I will follow and watch whenever I can, but I've cut all emotional ties with it. (this is also a result of where I am in life right now and I've been shedding a lot of baggage from my life, anything that does not add value to my life is being axed, but that's a different tangent)
My reason is simple, what fabric and value of in this organization is intact that made me fall in love with the club 20 years ago, the answer is nothing, the club has morphed into something else slowly, the only thing remaining is the name of the company.
The board is incompetent and doesn't give a shit, we continue to make bad decisions in terms of management and player recruitment, haven't had many talents coming from the academy, the social media is literally run by a troll, and even though it seems tone deaf, it actually is a tactic to increase engagement, which is downright pathetic. We continue to reward undeserving people with expensive contracts and finally, most of the players don't give a shit. Say what you want about Liverpool but even at their worst they always gave us a game, never stopped trying, competing and running, the 2nd half against City was an embarrassment.

I'm now getting to support Barcelona, now that the Messi circus is over, they have a young team and young manager, would be fun to follow their journey to success.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
It really depends.

I was born in Barca, so supported them until I was 8 years old. When we moved to England, Leicester was my local team, so for the past 32 years I’ve supported them.

I have a soft spot for Barca, however I’m definitely now a Leicester supporter.

Definitely not a glory hunting switch!

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Going back to the OP, it really depends on your ties to the club? We are a Chelsea family. Chelsea FC provided a coach from their staff to coach my son for several years. The club also supported his team with travel expenses. I don’t ever see that bond being broken.

If you have no such ties to a club, then it would be much easier. I am also a pretty big fan of Atlanta United in MLS. We attend games as it is local. I don’t think there is anything wrong in supporting two teams in different leagues.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
You’ve not won a trophy for a little while and threads like this appear… maybe Maine Road attendances were impressive after all.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I never said you have to live close to it, but I find it hard to be a die-hard supporter of a team of a city I have nothing to do with. Where does the emotional connection come from then if not from that?

If I simply pick a team I have no geographic relationship with that's winning a lot and follow them, even if I do so for years, aren't I simply a tenured glory hunter? Can I really ever claim to be a diehard fan like a person who was born, raised, or lived in that team's area?

So I guess yes, I would call it a hobby, interest, or pastime.
Are kids not indoctrinated into supporting teams in America at the behest of an adult, usually the father?

It's a very normal practice in Europe that goes through generations. Some will have no geographical link to the club they support, but have it passed on to them via grandfather/grandparents to father/parents etc. and they will do the exact same once they themselves have children. Of course, the child has the option to go against the process, but that's not common, or at least, it wasn't.

I suppose the nature of franchises, and the way some just up and leave presents such staples outside of a select few teams across the country?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The most despicable thing to do in Sports. I can’t trust someone like that.

Imagine switching from Sporting to Benfica, United to Liverpool etc.

If you switch from one team to another what’s stopping you from switching again? How do you build memories and get the full experience and joy of supporting one team.

I can say that as a Sporting fan in my lifetime I have seen more bad times then good at Sporting and that makes the good moments that much sweeter.

Now developing a soft spot for another club etc is ok, maybe they play a really fun brand of football or have a great philosophy in developing young talents etc

I will give an example in my child hood some of my fondest memories weee actually watching United due to the Portuguese sporting players that went their and the football they played under Ferguson. Any time United was playing I wanted them to win and would cheer their goals.

However , if Sporting and United were playing on the same day…I’m watching Sporting because that’s my team and that’s where my heart is. If Sporting were to play United I would want Sporting to win etc.

Anyways ya switching teams because your team is playing bad is a loser thing to do.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
So you are saying that if my marriage ends in divorce that means I never truly loved my wife?
Very different, in a marriage you need both people giving 50/50 for it to work. She can cheat or you might cheat etc which causes the marriage to end.

In football if you pick a team the only job you have is too support them , they can’t cheat on you.

As someone said if you choose another team then you will never be loyal to one team this never have a real passion for a club. You essentially would be a plastic fan.

LoneStar

No, I wouldn’t do that. I want to start watching more of my home team, and my country’s football league (ISL) more though.

I will tell you this. These days I’m increasingly considering not watching weekday matches since they occur at 1.30AM my time, and I’m now starting to appreciate sleep more than football. I’d still watch CL knockouts if my team is there, and maybe semis regardless. But I will probably not watch United vs Aston Villa or Crystal Palace anytime soon if it’s happening late night.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Are kids not indoctrinated into supporting teams in America at the behest of an adult, usually the father?

It's a very normal practice in Europe that goes through generations. Some will have no geographical link to the club they support, but have it passed on to them via grandfather/grandparents to father/parents etc. and they will do the exact same once they themselves have children. Of course, the child has the option to go against the process, but that's not common, or at least, it wasn't.

I suppose the nature of franchises, and the way some just up and leave presents such staples outside of a select few teams across the country?

No geographical link to club = less remorse on changing club

Which is why it's more common to see foreign fans changing club because of temporary struggle.

I assume that many foreign supporters already gave up on United, and are probably now supporting Madrid or other clubs with a better present.

I will always happen.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Pretty sure there are more adult males that switched partner/wife than football club. Would be an interesting stat to look at if it exists.

yipthatman

Is it ever okay to stop supporting your football club?
Yes. I haven't 'supported' United since the Glazers took over. I consider myself a fan nowadays and a bit part one at that. I care less and less about the team these days as it just doesn't feel like my team anymore. It feels like from the top down, it's mostly about the money and image. You could argue that's just the modern game.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If you’re willing to change clubs you’re not a true supporter of the original club, and you won’t be for the club you go to, either.
What does this even mean?

Spoony

The People's President
Basically a vast portion of Redcafe users aren't really United fans. I suspect the percentage will go up in the next few years(more years in the abyss). Basically it's a site full of folk who like to see teams they've selected play winning football. It clearly looks that way.

Viva shite football.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I've been mentioning this here since a few weeks, but this is probably the best thread to explain it.
I've stopped supporting Manchester united, I don't hate them, but I've stopped calling myself a Manchester united fan, it'll always be a club who I will follow and watch whenever I can, but I've cut all emotional ties with it. (this is also a result of where I am in life right now and I've been shedding a lot of baggage from my life, anything that does not add value to my life is being axed, but that's a different tangent)
My reason is simple, what fabric and value of in this organization is intact that made me fall in love with the club 20 years ago, the answer is nothing, the club has morphed into something else slowly, the only thing remaining is the name of the company.
The board is incompetent and doesn't give a shit, we continue to make bad decisions in terms of management and player recruitment, haven't had many talents coming from the academy, the social media is literally run by a troll, and even though it seems tone deaf, it actually is a tactic to increase engagement, which is downright pathetic. We continue to reward undeserving people with expensive contracts and finally, most of the players don't give a shit. Say what you want about Liverpool but even at their worst they always gave us a game, never stopped trying, competing and running, the 2nd half against City was an embarrassment.

I'm now getting to support Barcelona, now that the Messi circus is over, they have a young team and young manager, would be fun to follow their journey to success.
So youre changing teams because the board are incompetent? Is it fair to say youre a glory hunter? Surely you just stop supporting a football team altogether if the one you actually apparently support isn't doing well?

Real Name

Till the last sentence I was thinking I get this guy in the sense I know what you mean and what drag you from the club. I understand people just cooling of the club they support cause of all the stuff going in it or in a fan's life or a mix of things..

But to just turn to another club. That's a definition of a glory hunter.

Devil81

I've gone from totally obsessed with United since childhood to indifferent over the last few years, not because I don't love United anymore but football in general has changed to something unfamiliar to what I grew up with.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Look, if your heart is not in it, it just isn't and there's no point pretending. May as well enjoy football the way you want to enjoy football.

It's something I wouldn't do. I have an attachment and affection towards that United that goes beyond immediate success/excitement and while watching us play has undeniably become a chore, it's still something I'm passionate about even if the 90 minute games feel tedious now. Besides, for me personally, supporting another club would feel icky and like cheating on your partner, really, so I'm not getting into that. But you are your own person and I don't think my / anyone else's behavior should dictate yours.

GazTheLegend

I've gone from totally obsessed with United since childhood to indifferent over the last few years, not because I don't love United anymore but football in general has changed to something unfamiliar to what I grew up with.
Yea this is more in line with me. Abramovich, the UAE, Qatar, Saudi, the Glazers, Raiola and the super agents have turned football into something I cannot get behind. It's intensely dislikeable. The world cup in Russia was a joke and felt like that Olympics held in nazi Germany to me, and it has basically meant I don't even bother watching any football now that doesn't involve Manchester United.

That plus my sneaking suspicion that there's a doping arms race going on mean I can't trust any "Elite" side or player that may not be actively cheating (particularly with regard to Guardiolas murky history with himself beiny caught years ago and the Fuentes blood bag evidence being suppressed by the Spanish govt) and my prediction is there will be a strange increase in heart problems for footballers that retire.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Till the last sentence I was thinking I get this guy in the sense I know what you mean and what drag you from the club. I understand people just cooling of the club they support cause of all the stuff going in it or in a fan's life or a mix of things..

Yes but he doesnt like the clubs social media manager, when Barcelonas social media manager is a legend. Totally fair reason.

kthanksbye

Fair enough if that's what you feel, like I said, I'm getting to, I watched the Classico yesterday, didn't really feel anything special with the Barca win, just appreciated their football. A well coached team of talented young individuals is going to be fun to follow.

MattJ166

Switching your main clubs is just an absolute no go for me, granted I understand not everyone feels the same. United to me means too much and is one of the principle things that reminds me of my late grandfather, switching to another club would just feel dirty.

I do keep an interest in other clubs though such as Stoke City (my hometown) and also Derby (mainly this season due to Rooney). I'm not sure if it's this current team, i'm getting older or the fact that I now live in Malaysia (timings are a absolute shitstain to watch) that has made me lose a lot of that raw passion I had for United - probably a mixture of all of them.

Real Name

Fair enough if that's what you feel, like I said, I'm getting to, I watched the Classico yesterday, didn't really feel anything special with the Barca win, just appreciated their football. A well coached team of talented young individuals is going to be fun to follow.
Congrats! So is it fair to say you're as of now resident Barca fan here?

kthanksbye

So youre changing teams because the board are incompetent? Is it fair to say youre a glory hunter? Surely you just stop supporting a football team altogether if the one you actually apparently support isn't doing well?
I'm not sure if you read the entire post, I said it's not only because of incompetence, it's more because of indifference. I'd love to watch a team of less talented individuals give it everything they've got, that's the essence I'm used to, that's the club I fell in love with, never stopped trying. This isn't the same club.

kthanksbye

Congrats! So is it fair to say you're as of now resident Barca fan here?
Not yet. I'll let y'all know when the transformation is complete. It's not easy to just start supporting another club. It's possible that I might not be able to, and just watch football without supporting anyone.

Real Name

Not yet. I'll let y'all know when the transformation is complete. It's not easy to just start supporting another club. It's possible that I might not be able to, and just watch football without supporting anyone.
Ok, cheers.

We need an rvn

I think a lot depends on why you support the club and what you get out of it.

Got my first shirt in 86 as an 8 year old and lived through the fergie glory years. Moved to manch and lived united during my 20s and 30s.

My son recently got diagnosed with autism and what used to be my way of having some fun in life by watching united now seems to make life less enjoyable than the crap it already is. It’s only a game but being able to shut off for 90 minutes took my mind off shite

I have no shame in saying I’ve stopped watching us for a while now

will I support another club, hell no.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I feel the exact same mate, I'm getting to like Villareal as I nearby and there's a good young team. Any connection I had United it slowly fading away because of all the reasons you mentioned.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Basically a vast portion of Redcafe users aren't really United fans. I suspect the percentage will go up in the next few years(more years in the abyss). Basically it's a site full of folk who like to see teams they've selected play winning football. It clearly looks that way.

Viva shite football.
As opposed to? Why would you not like your team play winning football?

Deery

Dreary
So all you that say it’s fine to switch team, would it also be fine to switch back, if Ten Hag took over and performed a Klopp and got United winning trophies again?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
No geographical link to club = less remorse on changing club

Which is why it's more common to see foreign fans changing club because of temporary struggle.

I assume that many foreign supporters already gave up on United, and are probably now supporting Madrid or other clubs with a better present.

I will always happen.
I don't think the bolded is true, in fact, people who don't have the geographical link often go above and beyond to 'prove' themselves to those who do have the geographical link that they are just as dedicated to the cause and do belong. It wasn't so long ago, even on this site, that an aspersion cast was someone being an OOT, which means out of towner, and then a full-on exchange could occur where those who are OOT's would go back and forth with locals about their 'worthiness', as silly as it may sound, these things still abound.

I think the myriad reasons why support might dull or lessen are going to be more relatable than anyone professing to be a supporter - as opposed to a fan - truly and fully switching allegiance.

For myself, if there was no United, I'd drift aimlessly picking up games of interest nomadically with no club filling the void with regard to support.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
If my club was bought by for example Qatar I would stop supporting them. So yes, fundamental changes can cause this.

Spoony

The People's President
As opposed to? Why would you not like your team play winning football?

Should've added a site of people who want their selected side to play winning football but when that stops they have doubts and would rather follow other clubs or at least stop following United.

But yeah it's a free world. You can support multiples sides, change your teams, follow Liverpool and United...yada yada yada blah blah blah.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Should've added a site of people who want their selected side to play winning football but when that stops they have doubts and would rather follow other clubs or at least stop following United.

But yeah it's a free world. You can support multiples sides, change your teams, follow Liverpool and United...yada yada yada blah blah blah.
:lol: True, man. Anyway, that 200k/wk paid to Rashford doesn't fall from sky or just from local support.