Is it still possible to have an excellent transfer window?

House Mkhitaryan

Need a miracle now. If we actually completed the FDJ deal then got in Gakpo and Ziyech (on the cheap), something like that would be excellent for me.

Dominos

Coming into the summer I felt our 6 weakest areas were 2x CM, centre back, right back, right wing and striker.

We've made a signing for just one of those positions - Martinez. And I'm very, very skeptical over whether he was the right signing to transform our defence.

It's simply far too late in the window to fix this mess now. The majority of the best players on the market will have already moved, the later it gets in the window the less chance a club will let their quality players leave as it's too late to replace them, and if they do let them leave you have to a pay a premium.

We've also failed to sell any deadwood except Andreas.

Whoever is involved in our transfer dealings this summer needs sacking on the spot. I don't understand how you could be employed in a position of power at multi billion pound business and not have a clue what you're doing.

George The Best

We’ve wasted far too much time on FDJ. Even if we miraculously get him now it’s a poor window. One player is not turning this lot around.

Devil may care

The answer to the thread question is no, we've bought a little CB and we're still playing that turd Maguire, a 3rd #10 and a raw kid for back-up LB, now it seems we're going to buy the drizzling shits that is weak mommy's boy Rabiot and the big lump from Lazio that Jose liked. The season is already fecked and the club clearly hasn't changed, we've spent months chasing De Jong and now we are buying utter garbage just for the sake of it, it'll be a fight for top 6 at best.

Ekeke

Would probably take 2 signings now, FDJ + another quality player. Not impossible, but extremely unlikely especially for Manchester United

marktan

Yes. Sigh Bissouma, Ousmane Dembele and another CM or attacker. Maybe Richarlison from Everton or Toney.

£85m for those 3 + Eriksen is an excellent window. Leaves money for another CM like FDJ is we wanted or a RB upgrade.

Sancho - Richarlison - Dembele
Eriksen - Bissouma - Fred
Shaw - Maguire - Varane - Dalot

Crashoutcassius

Yes. Sigh Bissouma, Ousmane Dembele and another CM or attacker. Maybe Richarlison from Everton or Toney.

£85m for those 3 + Eriksen is an excellent window. Leaves money for another CM like FDJ is we wanted or a RB upgrade.

Sancho - Richarlison - Dembele
Eriksen - Bissouma - Fred
Shaw - Maguire - Varane - Dalot
Wind up merchant

stoinz

Perhaps a good one but seeing we already started the season it won't be an excellent one. FDJ, Dumfries, CF not Arnautovic.

Loon

:lol:
Neither of the currently linked players is fancied much, but I’m inclined to believe they are from ten Hag’s list and that they are part of the rejuvenation process, even if the likes of Arnautovic is just a short-term part of that process.

I don’t think ten Hag trusts or fancies many of the current squad, even from an application standpoint.

m1tch

I'm wondering whether it's better to just hope that nothing happens between now and the window shutting. Maybe that was their intention with the bids for Rabiot and Arnautovic, now the fans will see no other signings as a really positive result.

jesperjaap

No. But we can still have a very fruitful one, there are still some very good young players about

Gusto at right back
Milenkovic Savic or Thuram from Nice as play maker in the pivot
Chotard or Tonali for CM
Sulemana/DOku or Diaby for the wing
Sign Amine Giouri up front

DeGea/Heaton
Gusto/Bissaka
Varane/Maguire
Martinez/Bailly
Shaw/Malacia
Tonali/Garner
Milenkovic SAvic/Hannibal
Eriksen/Fernandes
SUlemana/Garnacho
Sancho/Pellestri
Giouri/Martial

Bar the youngsters, sod the rest, sell who we can, talented young squad with room to grow and be moulded, is at least intelligence in the midfielders and genuine world class potential in a few of the attacking players.

I would rather make no more purchases than buy Rabiot/Guedes or Arnautovic though, they dont improve the dressing room, dont improve the first eleven barely at all and none are at a good age to grow, they dont get any better, worse in fact.Actually think Arnautovic is talented but never done it consistently at much smaller clubs and in his mid thirties.....but there are still good deals to be done, especially from France, get your heads out of fricking Holland for 5mins or experienced journey men on cut price deals and bag a couple of players late on that actually improve our first eleven, the squad is large the quality in the first eleven is piss poor

It does seem like a badly scouted window. ETH brought some targets, but after that it seems paper thin.

You or I could target players like Rabiot and Arnautovic.

Plenty of hungry, promising players coming through across Europe and South America. Lots who are better than McFred for instance.

r1z3mu

Not to sound pessimistic but "excellent transfer window" and Manchester United together sound like a bad joke. When was last time we've had excellent transfer window?

croadyman

2 of the CMs we're linked with, a RW and a ST and that's a good window. I just worry what the damage to our season will be by the time we've done all of that though.
Yeah very true and still leaves us shite at RB

Erik the Red

2 of the CMs we're linked with, a RW and a ST and that's a good window. I just worry what the damage to our season will be by the time we've done all of that though.
If we still signed Dumfries, Guido, De Jong, SMS, Antony, Gakpo and Sesko, and cleared out a similar number of deadwood players (preferably sales rather than loans), then I would say we have had a pretty good transfer window. I think Murtough would deserve an MBE if he could pull that window off from our current position.

croadyman

Coming into the summer I felt our 6 weakest areas were 2x CM, centre back, right back, right wing and striker.

We've made a signing for just one of those positions - Martinez. And I'm very, very skeptical over whether he was the right signing to transform our defence.

It's simply far too late in the window to fix this mess now. The majority of the best players on the market will have already moved, the later it gets in the window the less chance a club will let their quality players leave as it's too late to replace them, and if they do let them leave you have to a pay a premium.

We've also failed to sell any deadwood except Andreas.

Whoever is involved in our transfer dealings this summer needs sacking on the spot. I don't understand how you could be employed in a position of power at multi billion pound business and not have a clue what you're doing.
I think the problem is it's always been prioritising RW if Ronaldo stays but ST if he leaves when we needed to sign BOTH

RB is hitting a dead end due to not getting any takers for AWB, in terms of second midfielder that's never looked our intention at all.

Waynne

A good window is the manager getting the players he needs to fit his system.

No idea if Rabiot and Arnautovic are these players but I'll back the manager till the cows come home.

Not every signing has to be an A list superstar. Sometimes you need the guys with pashun and from what I've seen of the loss to Brighton, we need a whole bunch of that.

croadyman

A good window is the manager getting the players he needs to fit his system.

No idea if Rabiot and Arnautovic are these players but I'll back the manager till the cows come home.

Not every signing has to be an A list superstar. Sometimes you need the guys with pashun
It's red flag central with Arnautovic

Waynne

It's red flag central with Arnautovic
Lots of articles in the media against this signing even from ex-United players.

Personally I dunno about this one and this guy is apparently racist too.

tricky situation for the club.

slyadams

New thread title: Is it still possible to ever have an excellent transfer window?

The answer is, unless we see fundamental changes in the way the club is run, no. This window has been the worst I can remember. The lack of strengthening in CM, the FDJ embarassment and the Ronaldo issues just combine to make us a complete laughing stock. And make no mistake, we are a laughing stock. When Arsenal were in the doldrums and they were the butt of all the jokes, its us now.

croadyman

Lots of articles in the media against this signing even from ex-United players.

Personally I dunno about this one and this guy is apparently racist too.

tricky situation for the club.
We would look absolute hypocrites

Waynne

New thread title: Is it still possible to ever have an excellent transfer window?

The answer is, unless we see fundamental changes in the way the club is run, no. This window has been the worst I can remember. The lack of strengthening in CM, the FDJ embarassment and the Ronaldo issues just combine to make us a complete laughing stock. And make no mistake, we are a laughing stock. When Arsenal were in the doldrums and they were the butt of all the jokes, its us now.
Frenkie saga is the one that irks me the most. I've voted weeks ago to just walk away from that transfer. We are not ruthless enough in that area.
Spending how many weeks just chasing this player is madness. Will we ever even get to the level of efficiency Liverpool and City show in the transfer market. Heck even Chelsea get things done without issue.

Why are things always x10 times harder with this club. I don't get it.

croadyman

Frenkie saga is the one that irks me the most. I've voted weeks ago to just walk away from that transfer. We are not ruthless enough in that area.
Spending how many weeks just chasing this player is madness. Will we ever even get to the level of efficiency Liverpool and City show in the transfer market. Heck even Chelsea get things done without issue.

Why are things always x10 times harder with this club. I don't get it.
Because whatever we do is headline news

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
No.
We’ve already fecked it up by not getting players in early so ETH can get them ready for the season.

I was mocked for saying the FDJ deal was a load of crap and it’ll take till the end of the transfer window before we give up on it and the club would get desperate and overpay for players when most clubs would be unwilling to let them go that let in the window.

It’s the exact same shit we’ve gone through under Woodward but people are lapping up Murtough’s bullshit because the club leaked out stories about how impressive our transfer revamp was while doing feckall.

Nobody who’s at the club since last season deserve any benefit of the doubt. Always assume the worst from them because that’s what they’ve proven time and time again.

Danish Wizard

No. It's Manchester United, we will not have an excellent transfer window...

On a serious note. No, not possible. The way the club is being run, how on earth would it be possible to still sell a few players, sign top quality players in those positions where we are desperate for quality signings. So. NO.

RatPack

In theory yes.

Out :
Ronaldo,
Van-Bissaka
McTominay

In
Lautaro Martinez
De Jong
Dumfries
Gakpo
Young CM like Matheus Nunes or better.

Yes I know this is not going to happen

Dominos

I think the problem is it's always been prioritising RW if Ronaldo stays but ST if he leaves when we needed to sign BOTH

RB is hitting a dead end due to not getting any takers for AWB, in terms of second midfielder that's never looked our intention at all.
We signed Malacia when we already had Shaw/Telles. And signed Martinez when we had 6 centre backs already on the books.

Our approach there was sign the player we need and worry about the outgoings later.

::sonny::

No, too late, too many signings missing.
Under Glazers the average is 3 first squad players/year

Henderson > not replaced

Overbooking CB, 7 for 2 places
Martinez
Maguire
Varane
Lindelof
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Jones

Telles > Malacia

Matic > not replaced
Pogba > not replaced
Mata > Eriksen

Lingard > Not replaced
Greenwood > Not replaced
Cavani > Not replaced

^^^

Prediction after 31th aug

Henderson > Heaton promoted 2nd

Telles > Malacia

Matic > Garner/Zidane
Pogba > Rabiot
Mata > Eriksen

Lingard > Hannibal
Greenwood > Chong
Cavani > Arnautovic

Last edited:

Superunknown

Yes, it's still possible. It'll be disappointing in the sense that we haven't got this all done for our first set of games. But, the window is still open, so there is still time. It needs to be done fast though and there's no room for pissing about.

If the homework has been done and we've identified a player as being a great one for a certain position, then we just need to get on with it and get the player/s in. De Jong is complicated as there's multiple layers to that deal, but not every transfer is like that. In fact, it might just be the most complicated transfer I've ever seen. Generally, they're straightforward. We had no issues getting Malacia, for example.

One thing is for sure. We've seen what the team looks like without any further additions. Sometimes you need a dose of reality to see what needs to be done exactly. ETH has seen that for himself in a competitive sense and he now knows it's nowhere near good enough. Not even close. Preseason is one thing. Seeing the squad under a different manager is also another one, but seeing it for yourself, after you've tried training them and have given them instructions, that's another thing entirely.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

It is an achievement in itself to produce such an awful transfer window.
We had Rangnick as someone with a bit of Know-how in the market and a good network. Kicked him out.
Got a manager in and started to get in contact only with players who had a connection with him the past respectively played in his league.
Now after having been snubbed by all decent players we turn to the likes of Rabiot and Arnautovic because our scouting network is somewhere between shit and non-existent while everyone else gets in good mid-priced players with potential.
For a football club of our size this is incredible stuff.
At this point in time I would be glad to overpay for Kane or Rice, something I was completely against when the window opened as I hoped for a proper rebuild, but at least these signings would bring quality. Although probably they would not come to us.