Is it still possible to have an excellent transfer window?

Lee565

Hard to see when we have already wasted 70 million on a back up left back and central defender that was not really needed compared to other bigger issues in the first 11 needed sorting and he is also getting targeted as a weak spot in the team already.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I didn't think it was possible but our window has actually gotten worse now.

Every mum, dad, brother and uncle agent can ask for even more extortionate wages now, knowing what an absolute shit show we are on the pitch.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It can be salvaged. But even if it is, we still look incompetent and incredibly restrictive on who we look at.

If we get Rabiot, FDJ or SMS along with a decent forward who could develop and back up GK before the end of the window then we'd be alright.

But we also need to offload at least 3 more (Bailly, Tuanzebe and AWB preferably) in which case a RB would also be needed.

Under ETH we simply have to get scouts out wider than Europe, South and Central America etc and come Jan and next summer we need to be in early with a clear plan of ins and outs.
In fairness, Europe and the Americas should be plenty of a radar!

led_scholes

It's not only about the incomings.

Even if we bring FDJ and we somehow manage to find a gk and a 2 forwards, we still have to sell the losers asap.

Judas

Open to offers
The next two weeks should be the most busy and mental end to a transfer window in the history of the club. Should be. Will it? I doubt it, but its clearly needed.

redmanc

The glazers are not going to pull 250m out of their back pockets to save the transfer window and our season, its probably Rabiot + potentially FDJ and thats it imo.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
United fans need to stop turning their nose up at everyone we're linked with. If it's not some wonderkid everyone loses their shit.

Everyone should now realise we're in big trouble. We need all the help we can get.

r0663664

Worships Man City
If Glazer doesn't want this ship to sink, we better buy a RB, 2CM and 1RW. There is no time to waste.

Delano

No. We're going to be fleeced across Europe and moan about the market being too expensive.

We've been set up for disaster by being infatuated on pipe dreams, providing clean slates, penny pinching and not identifying a range of talent.

GazTheLegend

If we got de Jong and Antony/a striker maybe it can be salvaged but the business looks pretty poor so far. We've gone so far backwards. Lost THREE midfielders in Matic, Pereira and Pogba, two AMs in Lingard and Mata, and our 2nd choice keeper. Where's the replacements for those? So much for youth and courage too.

Lyng

I highly doubt the leeches would be willing to spent the money needed.
We need two midfielders, a new goalkeeper, a right back and a striker.
Selling Maguire, AwB, Bailey, Rashford would help with funds.
Keep De Gea as second choice or tell him to find a new club. And hope Garnacho hits the ground running.

Red Rash

If we got de Jong and Antony/a striker maybe it can be salvaged but the business looks pretty poor so far. We've gone so far backwards. Lost THREE midfielders in Matic, Pereira and Pogba, two AMs in Lingard and Mata, and our 2nd choice keeper. Where's the replacements for those? So much for youth and courage too.
Yea we have done a pretty terrible job so far. It could be argued that Martinez and Malacia have been signed for some the lower priority positions while Eriksen has offered a replacement for the AM position.

The reality is we need at least two CMs, RW,, CF and RB before the window closes. Anything less is pretty unacceptable considering we knew what we needed at the end of last season and have freed up a lot of wages by losing Cavani, Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Matic, Pereira plus possibly Ronaldo, Bailly and one or two more.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Given our level is currently bottom half of the table, there's many players at better teams who would be very good for us.

croadyman

United fans need to stop turning their nose up at everyone we're linked with. If it's not some wonderkid everyone loses their shit.

Everyone should now realise we're in big trouble. We need all the help we can get.
Yeah these unknowns might actually care which we certainly need in the squad right now

croadyman

I highly doubt the leeches would be willing to spent the money needed.
We need two midfielders, a new goalkeeper, a right back and a striker.
Selling Maguire, AwB, Bailey, Rashford would help with funds.
Keep De Gea as second choice or tell him to find a new club. And hope Garnacho hits the ground running.
Sell Maguire keep Bailly as ideal partner for Varane and put Martinez at CDM

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah, it’s possible. But unlikely we’d do enough business to plug all the holes. We’d need something like:

In: De Jong, CM, CF, LW, RB
Out: Ronaldo, any number of hangers on we’ve still got

I’d consider that a belter tbh.

Ralph1386

Yeah, it’s possible. But unlikely we’d do enough business to plug all the holes. We’d need something like:

In: De Jong, CM, CF, LW, RB
Out: Ronaldo, any number of hangers on we’ve still got

I’d consider that a belter tbh.
That would only happen in a parallel universe where we weren’t owned by the Glazers and had a competent DOF.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Whatever they do know will always be seen as a knee jerk reaction, even if said players have been previously scouted and identified as having the right technique and mindset. If FdJ comes, that will only ramp up the pressure even more. How the Ronaldo saga has been left to fester is beyond ridiculous.

croadyman

The glazers are not going to pull 250m out of their back pockets to save the transfer window and our season, its probably Rabiot + potentially FDJ and thats it imo.
Well forget top half finish then you leeches

Chairman Steve

Yes but a lot of it will have to involve bargain hunting and good scouting on our part. Those two characteristics is something we have to get better at. Not everything has to be amazing youth prodigies or experienced, decorated veterans. Sometimes it can be that unfashionable player with modest stats or a late developer ready to explode in the right system.

croadyman

Yes but a lot of it will have to involve bargain hunting and good scouting on our part. Those two characteristics is something we have to get better at. Not everything has to be amazing youth prodigies or experienced, decorated veterans. Sometimes it can be that unfashionable player with modest stats or a late developer ready to explode in the right system.
So modest stats like this Cunha fella has

Giggsy13

The point was to get thru this window with tact and authority. Instead we look pathetic and limp like an impotent man at a brothel.

NZT-One

So modest stats like this Cunha fella has
Probably. Look at Firmino at Liverpool. Sometimes, a striker can operate in a system where he helps others shine. Could be the same thing here. 50 million is a lot, but I could imagine some people would be shocked what some sort of over-average workrate can result in. In fairness though, if you allow yourself a striker with great attributes but a limited scoring rate, you have to make sure that others will balance it out. These days at United, nothing is a given so this could become a problem... But you have to start at some point I guess.

croadyman

Probably. Look at Firmino at Liverpool. Sometimes, a striker can operate in a system where he helps others shine. Could be the same thing here. 50 million is a lot, but I could imagine some people would be shocked what some sort of over-average workrate can result in. In fairness though, if you allow yourself a striker with great attributes but a limited scoring rate, you have to make sure that others will balance it out. These days at United, nothing is a given so this could become a problem... But you have to start at some point I guess.
Agree with poster who said this only really works if Ronaldo stays and can provide the goals

avgp_1

I don't know yet but Casemiro coming in makes it possible to sell our project better to further signings. We have had a couple of weeks of doom, this surely brings some positivity back

Fahad Jawaid

It is possible to have a good window (FDJ, Casemiro & Neto), but the question remains what did we do all summer, why did we waste 3 months on FDJ and that resulted in failure to bring any other targets. In fact, I would say this shambles of a window and all doom and gloom in around the club has already made us lose 6 points and with Liverpool up next it could be 9.

There is a reason why top teams get their business done early, integrate their new signings into the squad, try new tactics in preseason (like trying Eriksen, Fred in various positions). Whereas what did we do, we delayed signings of Martinez & Eriksen resulting in them hardly getting any preseason matches with the team and not really getting into tune with the lineup and setup at Utd. Thus, we go on to see Eriksen playing as a False 9 in one match and then a 6 in another. Similarly playing Fred as a 6 in one match then quickly realizing he needs to play as 8 in another match.

It reflects very poorly on ETH, because reportedly he was hell bent on FDJ signing and he was the only player in the world, who could play that role, now fast forward two weeks with inept level of performances from Mcfred, we are trying to sign anybody who has Midfielder on their profile.

If FDJ deal was so important to ETH, he should have tried to sign the likes of Casemiro, Kamara (free and low wages) at the start and then waited for FDJ, because not only this would have given us a solid platform and strong negotiation position, we would have at least picked up 4 points and not become a laughing stalk of Europe.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If the window closed before the season ended, and we all simply didn't pay attention til it ended, I think absolutely.

This strategy - even if we end up with some decent players by Sept 1st - basically writes off the beginning of the season. Now, if we save c. 50m on last minute deals, maybe that's worth it in the long run, but it's hard as fans.

yamo123x

Casemiro, whilst he is a brilliant workhorse and ball winner he isnt enough, we still need a technical player like De Jong too.

Still think we will spunk 70million on Antony on deadline day.

croadyman

I don't know yet but Casemiro coming in makes it possible to sell our project better to further signings. We have had a couple of weeks of doom, this surely brings some positivity back
Yeah hopefully brings that same influence to signings I thought we might get from De Jong

croadyman

Casemiro, whilst he is a brilliant workhorse and ball winner he isnt enough, we still need a technical player like De Jong too.

Still think we will spunk 70million on Antony on deadline day.
Yeah definitely still need that technical player

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
If we still manage to get Frenkie now.. This window is amazing..

Definitely not ready after this window.. Will steeds need another right back, striker, winger (and goalkeeper..), to become really competitive but it would be a massive transformation already..

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I won’t be happy unless we can get a keeper to replace De Gea because without that we are going absolutely nowhere. Shame Sommer ruled himself out, that was a dream signing.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
All this transfer activity should have happened before preseason.