Is it time to burst Mbappe's bubble?

Basso

This thread is a joke! Go watch the highlights of the Barcelona match away in the Champions League.
Everyone goes thru a bad spell and the new french style with more central players like Benzema and Griez doesn't suit him.

Neymar

Not a peasant
Supports
Neymar & Messi
One of the dumbest things i've ever heard.
First of all you didn't hear it because it's text so you're already wrong. Also you're wrong about Dembele (imo). When he is in top form, a handful of games per season, mind, he is hands down a better and more dangerous forward than Mbappe is. It only sounds controversial because you haven't seen him play.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
First of all you didn't hear it because it's text so you're already wrong. Also you're wrong about Dembele (imo). When he is in top form, a handful of games per season, mind, he is hands down a better and more dangerous forward than Mbappe is. It only sounds controversial because you haven't seen him play.
More nonsense, i watch la liga often, and i have seen more than enough of Dembele to know he isn't some misunderstood genius.
Stop making assumptions about me, thanks.

First of, he has been quite free of injuries this last season, so what does "top form" even means?

Apparently it means feck all, considering he has 9 goal contributions in 30 league appearances, which is just poor for an attacker for a side like Barcelona.

The truth is that Dembele is an average footballer, with glaring flaws that wont ever make him a key man for a top side, and he is a mega flop to boot, though Barcelona spending crazy money isn't his fault.

MrEleson

Because Sterling is having a wonderful tournament while Mbappe had been dogshit?
Mbappe is leagues ahead of Sterling. You’re speaking in hindsight after 4 games have happened. Coming into the tournament, no sane human would have picked Sterling to start ahead of Mbappe. That’s just ludicrous.

Womp

idiot
Because Sterling is having a wonderful tournament while Mbappe had been dogshit?
I don't agree with this tbf. International tournaments should never have so much influence in a player's ability. Shaqiri has had a better Euros than Bruno, by far too. You'd be hard done finding many people who would take Shaqiri over Bruno.

cyberman

Mbappe is leagues ahead of Sterling. You’re speaking in hindsight after 4 games have happened. Coming into the tournament, no sane human would have picked Sterling to start ahead of Mbappe. That’s just ludicrous.
Mbappe scored 1 goal in Frances last 8 (missed 2 to injury tbf) before the Euros and that was against 10 man Wales. So now its 1 in 12. Its a continuation, not an anomoly.
What was Sterling before this summer, 10 in 15 or something stupid?
Sterling would bench both Mbappe and Rashford if they were in the same squad.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Mbappe scored something like 40 goals this season, there’s no way any manager would drop him for Sterling going into the tournament.

Eddy_JukeZ

Mbappe scored something like 40 goals this season, there’s no way any manager would drop him for Sterling going into the tournament.
Only on the cafe could you see this.

Literally no manager in the world would pick Sterling over Mbappe in their team.

It's not even close.

MrEleson

Mbappe scored 1 goal in Frances last 8 (missed 2 to injury tbf) before the Euros and that was against 10 man Wales. So now its 1 in 12. Its a continuation, not an anomoly.
You’re speaking as if all these international games happened consecutively. In between Sterling’s record for England (it’s impressive I must admit), he was absolutely dog water for City for the most part while Mbappe was pretty impressive for PSG and finished as their topscorer.

There’s no way Sterling was in better form coming into this tournament.

cyberman

You’re speaking as if all these international games happened consecutively. In between Sterling’s record for England (it’s impressive I must admit), he was absolutely dog water for City for the most part while Mbappe was pretty impressive for PSG and finished as their topscorer.

There’s no way Sterling was in better form coming into this tournament.
I think we are getting lost in the trees here. I was responding to a point mocking Rashford for not getting into this England side. Since 2019 Mbappe has scored 1 goal for France. Seeing how Southgate rewards players form for England, there is no way he would drop Sterling for Mbappe. Especially when we see Grealish, Foden and Sancho on the bench who all had played just as well at Mbappe did last season. Southgate isnt suddenly to change that for an underperforming Mbappe who has suddenly stalled on the international stage so Rashford being being this Sterling isnt the laughable point it was made out to be

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Mbappe played with France 48 games. The game against Wales was his 42th cap.

I agree that if I remove all the games he scored a goal, then his stats would be a very sad continuation, not an anomaly.

cyberman

Mbappe played with France 48 games. The game against Wales was his 42th cap.

I agree that if I remove all the games he scored a goal, then his stats would be a very sad continuation, not an anomaly.
1 in 12! It doesnt matter what he did 3 years ago, thats not the point I'm making.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Form at international level is a funny thing. Sterling has had two long barren spells in his England career and been called England's best player in between them. Sometimes it takes a year or two before you even realise a player has been in good or bad form for their country.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I've been to the England games against the Czech Rep and Germany, and from the stands Sterling was absolute dogshite in both, and he was horribly bad against Scotland as well. He is infuriatingly selfish on the ball and ignores obvious passes to run into opposition defenders and lose possession/fall over. Just because a player scores doesn't mean they are playing well. Its not like he's been scoring wonder goals...two of the three were tap ins, literally set up by someone else playing in his position and doing an obviously better job than him.

People need to get a grip a bit. It was funny watching France and Mbappe fall victim to their own arrogance but Mbappe is better than anyone in the England squad....well apart from Ben Whyte, whoever he is. Sterling's scoring record of late for England is very impressive and if he keeps scoring winning goals I'll happily forgive all else, but our attack at the Euros has largely been drab. You wouldn't look at England in this tournament and think anything about their forward play is exactly world class.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
1 in 12! It doesnt matter what he did 3 years ago, thats not the point I'm making.
Your point is valid but the player is not an alien like Messi and Cristiano.

He scores on a consistent basis with PSG but you are right to say he didn't score a lot with France recently.

His stats with France show 16 goals for his 38 first caps, and then 1 goal for his last 10 caps. The player has 48 caps and a total of 17 goals then.

You say 1 in 12 and include 2 games you know he missed due to injuries instead of 1 in 10 ;)

Dan_F

Form at international level is a funny thing. Sterling has had two long barren spells in his England career and been called England's best player in between them. Sometimes it takes a year or two before you even realise a player has been in good or bad form for their country.
It’s also easy to score a couple of tap ins and be considered to be one of the best players at the tournament. Mbappe’s borderline offside goal was higher quality than anything Sterling has produced, but those are the margins in tournaments.