g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

So Dortmund lost again to go 16 points back of Bayern and potentially be in 7th place by the end of the day...

They've been serving up an unhealthy dose of schadenfreude for United fans this season :lol:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
17 league games, three goals.

World class season :lol:

fecking Dan James numbers.
I'm guessing his reference to 'back-to-back world class seasons' was 2018/19 and last season, not this one.

He does have 7 assists as well, which you have conveniently left out.

He's obviously not having his best season, but Dortmund are struggling as a whole. Fact is since joining Dortmund, his Bundesliga record still reads roughly a goal or assist every 90 and he's still yet to turn 21.

Funny how the narrative has seemingly shifted to him being over-rated as soon as United fail to sign him, when before he was regarded as having Ballon D'Or finalist type potential.

cyberman

I'm guessing his reference to 'back-to-back world class seasons' was 2018/19 and last season, not this one.

He's obviously not having his best season, but Dortmund are struggling as a whole. Fact is since joining Dortmund, his Bundesliga record still reads roughly a goal or assist every 90 and he's still yet to turn 21.

Funny how the narrative has seemingly shifted to him being over-rated as soon as United fail to sign him, when before he was regarded as having Ballon D'Or finalist type potential.
We are favourites this year to sign him as well? Hell a lot of this forum were opposed to even signing him last season.
Im in the he isnt worth 100m camp and I dont understand the argument coming the other way. What is he? 21? And fans point to 2 seasons of excellence as if he is a grizzled veteran with years of elite perfomances to back him up. There is nothing to suggest this is a season(!) long blip. Its literally panning out to a third of his time as a starter. Hell if he doesnt kick on next year itll be 50 percent of his time as a star that hes flattered to deceive. Thats how razor thin this is.
There is a real danger that he had been found out. That the youngster took Germany by storm and is struggling since opposition managers have had a good look at him

SinNombre

In these Covid times, paying anything more than €60m for him would be ridiculous.

He has never shown anything outside of the BvB system and even there struggles in terms of intensity and impact in tough matches.

sparx99

Rumours are that Haaland 70mill release clause kicks in next year and I'm all for it. I like Jadon and as mentioned previously, have a familial bias but I would be physically sick if he (Haaland) goes to City or Bayern or even Liverpool. I just know he will score so many goals and our strikers will continue to be up and down.
Cavani’s deal expires the same summer that Haaland’s release clause is active. Seems like some fairly shrewd planning on our part.

GledTheRed

I think he was hyped up by us lot because we were linked, which is natural I guess.

He's a good player but I have never watched him and been blown away or convinced that he will be top tier. Just my take.

Hanky panky

Im pretty sure Sancho will be United player after summer. He wants to go but Dortmund will not get anything near 100M. His potential have not lost anywhere, would be good signing. 60-70M and it will be done.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I would say we should try to get him for 80-90 Mio EUR this summer. Our priorities should be a CDM and a CB, but the big clubs will start to recover once we have left this crisis behind and then things get more complicated.
I still think RW is a priority alongside DM and CB. We still don't have a senior RW, even though Diallo looks promising, I'm not sure it's wise to go another season without a proper winger.

Josep Dowling

Im pretty sure Sancho will be United player after summer. He wants to go but Dortmund will not get anything near 100M. His potential have not lost anywhere, would be good signing. 60-70M and it will be done.
Really? Why would United pay £20m (round about) for Diallo if we have no interest in using him soon? The Sancho deal is done as far as I’m concerned. You don’t spent that sort of money on an teenager if you have no intention of using him.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Dortmund are fools for not accepting our bid in the summer. His value has gone down due to a mix of poor form and his contract being closer to running out. No way do they get anywhere near what we offered last year and they wouldn't have missed him this season as they are doing so badly anyway.

Dortmund are fools for not accepting our bid in the summer. His value has gone down due to a mix of poor form and his contract being closer to running out. No way do they get anywhere near what we offered last year and they wouldn't have missed him this season as they are doing so badly anyway.
he’s still got 2.5 years left on the contract, that’s had little effect. It’s all about Covid - they failed to see why was happening.

frankly we were bidding over and above what we should have in the summer.

like you say, they won’t ever get the same offer again in this market - and no one but United have been interested in him.

where have all the German fans who couldn’t get enough of this forum in the summer, disappeared to?

stevoc

Diallo has been playing ahead of his age group with Atalanta ie the best youth academy in Italy. Prior to us signing him up he was going to Parma to play regular first team football. This boy is more ready then we think

Is he first teamer level? Not yet. However he doesn't need to. Greenwood can cover that role and unlike Jadon his stats come from a top league
Do you mean Greenwoods stats?

Not a huge fan of Greenwood on the right personally, don't think he's comfortable at all out there.

stevoc

Diallo is only 2 years younger than Sancho though. Same age when Greenwood broke in last season.
I'm aware i'm not saying we desperately need to sign Sancho though. I'm saying we desperately need a top winger on the right whomever that may be.

Having said that 2 years is a long time in Football and Sancho has way more first team experience than Diallo though. 124 games vs Amad's 5 senior appearances.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Just bid 50m first and see how they respond. If they are very interest to negotiate, maybe 50m+10m adds on would be our in final offer.
If they said feck no, then we will leave it to next year then, and focus on developing Diallo.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
he’s still got 2.5 years left on the contract, that’s had little effect. It’s all about Covid - they failed to see why was happening.

frankly we were bidding over and above what we should have in the summer.

like you say, they won’t ever get the same offer again in this market - and no one but United have been interested in him.

where have all the German fans who couldn’t get enough of this forum in the summer, disappeared to?
The people who tried to reason with you and were right all the time with their estimation what Dortmund will do?

You confuse German posters trying to provide you their perspective on the matter with support of Dortmund. The only reason so many posted in here because so many posts were as far from reality as possible not because they wanted Dortmund to "beat you" or whatever. That's not the case now, this thread still has much potential in terms of lunacy. But if you continue like that, you'll see enough of us again, don't worry.

The people who tried to reason with you and were right all the time with their estimation what Dortmund will do?

You confuse German posters trying to provide you their perspective on the matter with support of Dortmund. The only reason so many posted in here because so many posts were as far from reality as possible not because they wanted Dortmund to "beat you" or whatever. That's not the case now, this thread still has much potential in terms of lunacy. But if you continue like that, you'll see enough of us again, don't worry.
Not sure what you mean by reason with me? Club wants to sell player for a price that meets their estimation - that’s not Nostradamus.

there is clearly a lot of lunacy on a football forum...

However, false deadlines, Zork’s posturing and all that was just noise, it’s just run of the mill transfer negotiation. just because the transfer didn’t go ahead, doesn’t prove anyone right.

It’s very simple.

Dortmund wanted to sell Sancho, but wanted a price that was too high.

United, frankly bid too much in any case for the situation.

He was available all summer.

Dortmund won’t get that offer again, and there’s no one else interested.

every man and his dog with any sense (not necessarily a good % of football fans!), could see that the transfer landscape would change - and £100m transfers which were becoming the norm at the top end off he market, were over for a period of time.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not sure what you mean by reason with me? Club wants to sell player for a price that meets their estimation - that’s not Nostradamus.

there is clearly a lot of lunacy on a football forum...

However, false deadlines, Zork’s posturing and all that was just noise, it’s just run of the mill transfer negotiation. just because the transfer didn’t go ahead, doesn’t prove anyone right.

It’s very simple.

Dortmund wanted to sell Sancho, but wanted a price that was too high.

United, frankly bid too much in any case for the situation.

He was available all summer.

Dortmund won’t get that offer again, and there’s no one else interested.

every man and his dog with any sense (not necessarily a good % of football fans!), could see that the transfer landscape would change - and £100m transfers which were becoming the norm at the top end off he market, were over for a period of time.

I guess that's how conspiracy theories emerge.

Tallis

I don’t think we have 100 million to spend on this guy. Too many other priorities.

We need someone to take our goalkeeper and pay him a GBP 400k / week salary (PSG - looking at you) so we can sign another goalkeeper.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Roboc7

This is dead in the water now surely, even if they do lower price massively we must be going to spend money elsewhere. Probably another year at Dortmund as don’t think any team will spend big on him this summer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
James Cooper says he thinks the ship's sailed on the Sancho deal. Also that a striker is not a priority for this summer.

pascell

James Cooper says he thinks the ship's sailed on the Sancho deal. Also that a striker is not a priority for this summer.
Probably hoping SSN run with the story which filters through to Dortmund, hopefully it's a negotiation tactic that we'll only do the deal on our terms.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, I hope that’s not true. We need a another attacker who can carry the ball and create. Preferably on the right side of the field. The last month and a half or so has seen our attackers collectively drop out of form at the same time (though we have perked back up recently!).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah I hope we don’t get him for the price they want. He’s not a £100m player

gajender

It sounds look more of an opinion piece rather than briefing from the club if more United Correspondents like Ducker , Stone and Whitehall start singing the same tune then We should believe it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's pretty logical, said it last summer. We spent 40m on Diallo, if he is fast tracked and looks at home with the first team, then I doubt we spend 80m on Sancho and just stick with Greenwood/Diallo and focus elsewhere. I think Sancho is still the signing that can make the biggest difference for us, as he can play both sides and we wouldn't be overcrowded still, but who knows what the money situation is like.

If we sign Kounde at CB, Trippier to give depth for AWB, then I think we have the back line sorted. Depends next on what happens with Pogba, do we sign a holding midfielder or do we focus on a Grealish or Sancho?

De Gea/Henderson
Wan Bissaka/Trippier
Maguire/Kounde/Bailly/Lindelof
Shaw/Telles

Fred/Matic
Pogba/McTominay
Bruno/VdB

Greenwood/Diallo
Rashford/James
Cavani/Martial

OR
Same GK/defence situation as that is surely the priority.

Fred/Van de Beek
Rice/McTominay
Bruno/Hannibal

Sancho/Diallo
Rashford/Martial
Cavani/Greenwood

Tbh I like the 2nd option more. Sancho can rotate in as a #10 with Bruno just fine if needed for depth thetr, the front 3 all have excellent backups and wouldn't be overly crowded, midfield is set with the base of Rice along with additional power and aerial presence. The first one doesn't sort out our balance issues in midfield/attack. Sancho on the right gives us a world class talent on the right wing, much more creativity to balance out Cavani/Rashford compared to just 3 scorers across the front line, and definitely more unpredictability.

If Pogba goes, Sancho has to be the guy. You look at their ages, Greenwood is 19, Diallo is 18, Rashford is 23, Sancho is 20, Martial is 25. Nobody is blocking anybody there. Diallo can rotate around until his early 20's for 3 years, at which point Cavani will be replaced by Greenwood, Rashford will be 26 and Martial 28. Martial if anything would be the next one out and we have a main 4 of Rashford, Diallo, Sancho and Greenwood. Maybe Sancho takes over from Bruno or Bruno takes a deeper role with time, and they all play together. The options are there and it's the perfect balance to the attack IMO.

rotherham_red

I can understand the striker thing as Cavani will more than likely sign on for another year.

Sancho will still be our priority target though. Unless Amad literally shows he's a Messi regen, we're going to need someone because we can't go into next season relying on a kid. We didn't even do that for Ronaldo and, to a lesser extent, Rooney ffs.

RedDevilzFox

Sancho ship has sailed IMO as well. Too many defensive issues to sort out, not to mention a striker. Cavani is 34 and Rashford and Martial are way too rubbish in a pure strikers role.

Stacks

He probably could be value at £100mill because of his age but then he will have the pressure of performing at a 100m player level every week which I am not so sure. Even Pogba has been deemed by most supporters and deffo rivals, as having not been worth 90million and he has been here for 5 years!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well, we didn’t quite spend that much. It was an initial €21m with potential add-ons in the sum of €20m. It wasn’t 40m flat-out.

croadyman

€60m take it or leave it. I’d prefer Haaland, Grealish and a CB in a perfect scenario.
I think Haaland won't move until summer of 2022 and still expecting us to at least try for Jack if Paul still leaves this summer, looks to me very much like the top priority this summer is going to be signing that top CB who hopefully has leadership abilities too.

romufc

If Dortmund don't finish top 4, we could potentially get him for £50m.

What mugs, could have had £90m.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
So Dortmund lost again to go 16 points back of Bayern and potentially be in 7th place by the end of the day...

They've been serving up an unhealthy dose of schadenfreude for United fans this season :lol:
The United official account should post that pic, with the same caption :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.