Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rashford is an excellent passer. Sancho's close control is much better, yes.

Again my worry with Sancho is not his ability to link play, he's very good at it. It's his ability to beat a man against low blocks. Players like Mane have shown just how important that can be over the last couple of years. In that sense, I see more of Mane in ASM than I do in Sancho. Also ASM is not the headless chicken you make him out to be. His passing and finishing are very good.

If Sancho's dribbling was just a bit more explosive ala Neymar I'd have no qualms spending the £100m+ on him, as it stands it makes me worry a little at that price.
No issue with having reservations. But Rashford is not an excellent passer. All our forwards are about competent. Sancho is a step above in this regard. He isn't as explosive as Rashford due to not having his pace but his dribbling/close control is much better.

croadyman

No issue with having reservations. But Rashford is not an excellent passer. All our forwards are about competent. Sancho is a step above in this regard. He isn't as explosive as Rashford due to not having his pace but his dribbling/close control is much better.
Feel like we would have seen more of Amad in these last couple of months IF the interest in him was really dead

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Feel like we would have seen more of Amad in these last couple of months IF the interest in him was really dead
You could just as likely have said we wouldn't have bothered signing Amad if the Sancho deal wasn't stone cold.

I wonder if there's money for one huge signing, let alone any prospect of Sancho AND a defender/mid/striker etc.

croadyman

You could just as likely have said we wouldn't have bothered signing Amad if the Sancho deal wasn't stone cold.

I wonder if there's money for one huge signing, let alone any prospect of Sancho AND a defender/mid/striker etc.
Yeah that is a very valid point

Mr Smith

To be fair, I don't think we would be talking about Sancho at all but for Dortmund's situation. They're already broke and in serious danger of missing out on an injection of cash from the CL next season. If they were comfortably sitting second or third in the Bundesliga I think they would be able to stick to last season's valuation of Sancho, but as things stand, they're in a vulnerable bargaining position, and I genuinely believe they are open to a sale.

Redcy

Fair point - I'd agree Greenwood seems a natural ST. Sancho of course remains a danger out on RW, but when you have a player with such natural ability to beat a man and create chances, I fear we wouldn't be maximising Sancho's potential out on the right (think about how productive Ronaldo became on the left after most of his career as RW for United).

I suppose if Diallo were to fulfil his promise the ideal front 3 might be Sancho - Greenwood - Diallo but I might be in dreamland now!
I have no idea what the right amount is for Sancho, but if we do go in for Sancho that has to be based on the belief that Greenwood is ready to be our first choice 9. We know now we can’t rely on Martial and it’s all but certain we’re not spending 120m on either Haaland or Kane.
100%, and this was always the plan from Ole, he set his sights on Sancho the minute he walked in at OT.

And I think both Greenwood and Martial playing as a ST will benefit immensly from that setup.
Im slowly moving from the Haaland camp to Sancho. If we keep Cavani, then with Greenwood as his understudy I think that is a good pair of options up front. Sancho is likely to be more reasonably priced, and likely to cause less drama than the Haaland/Raiola circus, as well as potentially staying with us for longer. Furthermore, due to the reduced price it would leave us in a better position to make another "premium" signing such as Rice. As an added bonus, if we did sign Sancho then you feel like it would be unlikely that Dortmund would sell Haaland in the same window, so that would give us another year to consider him as an option.

OK can someone point me at games or periods where Greenwood has shown himself to be a ST or CF? I have spent about 70 minutes watching highlights and best bit videos of Greenwood, and almost none of them show him scoring goals playing from central positions inside the box, he has scored the odd goal and come close, but those seem to be him making the odd run across the box. Probably of all the highlights I have seen there seems to be one or two games where he does it, yet the belief among united fans is that his true position is as a CF. A link to games, examples of games where he has played there, I have gone back to 2018/19 and see nothing suggesting he has ever really played there successfully, and all his recent outing show him to be poor there compared to coming from deep of the right. Please I want to believe this is something real, but I see no evidence for the assertion.

cyberman

Being linked to he and Haaland now makes sense. Should have copped on there was a money influx when Varane is heavily linked to a move. Pogba delaying contract negotiations to the summer..

We are the shit detectives who should have seen this from the start. Haaland and Mbappe in 1 summer to Madrid ffs!

Tallis

OK can someone point me at games or periods where Greenwood has shown himself to be a ST or CF? I have spent about 70 minutes watching highlights and best bit videos of Greenwood, and almost none of them show him scoring goals playing from central positions inside the box, he has scored the odd goal and come close, but those seem to be him making the odd run across the box. Probably of all the highlights I have seen there seems to be one or two games where he does it, yet the belief among united fans is that his true position is as a CF. A link to games, examples of games where he has played there, I have gone back to 2018/19 and see nothing suggesting he has ever really played there successfully, and all his recent outing show him to be poor there compared to coming from deep of the right. Please I want to believe this is something real, but I see no evidence for the assertion.
I don’t think Mason knows how to Play 9 at the highest level. He seems to get drawn out all over the pitch.

Because of this, a striker should be priority particularly if Cavani leaves. Both Mason and Amad will play RW.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don’t think Mason knows how to Play 9 at the highest level. He seems to get drawn out all over the pitch.

Because of this, a striker should be priority particularly if Cavani leaves. Both Mason and Amad will play RW.
The problem is that we lack of balance with Greenwood as RW and Rashford as LW because we will have 3 goal scorers and 1 creative player. Rashford & Greenwood like to shoot, they could easily waste Cavani's movement with their instinct to shoot. This is why Cavani always more effective with Pogba & Bruno in that front four, they can find him and utilise his movement. IMO if Cavani stays, the additional of Sancho will be a massive for us. Sancho prefers to provide services than goals, Cavani would love that.

beingshe7don

Joel Glazer said that he's gonna try to repair the relationship with the fans. Not sure how much of it is true but investing in the team such that we have a good summer and backing Ole would be a good start.

gica_7

Joel Glazer said that he's gonna try to repair the relationship with the fans. Not sure how much of it is true but investing in the team such that we have a good summer and backing Ole would be a good start.
He only wrote that letter because every other british club apologized in some capacity. Glazers didn't. Probably their pr people told them it wouldn't look nice. Don't kid yourselves, they will not spend money this summer. Especially when they are looking for ways to cash out probably.

lex talionis

Yep, I don’t see the Gougers investing in new players this summer. Gird your loins, mates.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He probably is worth that much.

But do we throw Greenwood up top and get Sancho or get a striker?

I think Greenwood could do with another year or two on the wing myself.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Hope Cavani extends for another year and let him fight it out with Greenwood? Martial should either be sold or left to deputise for Rashford out on the left, IMO. With Diallo competing with Sancho on the right. Leaves Dan James out in the cold though - loan or opportunity to sell and recoup our fee.

Redcy

Honestly don’t see greenwood as a striker more likely we have 3 players for the wing position with Rashford, Sancho and greenwood. Whenever he plays up front he looks lost and comparably ineffectual. Keep martial and Cavan I, see if Tony can step up, if not then sign a striker next year

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yep, Solskjaer said only a few days ago that Greenwood was years away from playing as a central striker.

Rolaholic

With Haaland likely being kept this summer,would love to see us go back in for him.

The potential of an all England front 3 with him, Rashford and Greenwood is mouth watering

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
With Haaland likely being kept this summer,would love to see us go back in for him.

The potential of an all England front 3 with him, Rashford and Greenwood is mouth watering
They could make a fluid front three I guess, Sancho can occupy left/right, Greenwood can play anywhere up front and so can Rashford. I wonder however, do these fluid front three's really work that well in practice?

ForeverRed1

The signing I want to happen the most. He’s so good and would instantly give us a extra 30 goals per season across goals and assists

Adcuth

If we start a front 3 of Rashford, greenwood and sancho we have the possibility for a fluid interchanging front 3 as all 3 can play in more than one position up top. Would help against a low defence to drag them out of position

macheda14

Whenever he plays up front he looks lost and comparably ineffectual.
Really common with young strikers. There are some who just a born with movement, but others study the game and learn it through experience. Van Persie didn't look great up front for a while, Kane was shocking up until he was like 22, if you threw a 19 year old Cristiano up there he would look diabolical, whereas now he can easily play number 9. The issue is as a striker you only really learn by doing. As Ole has said, Mason this season has had to learn things for himself in games. He got found out beginning of the season and now he's added more to his game. Are we willing to wait for him to learn it? The one thing he needs needs needs though is to improve his heading. But again as Ole said, heading was avoided more when Mason was coming through and will continue to be avoided more and more so it can only really be learnt when you make the step up to the first team.

mav_9me

Yep, I don’t see the Gougers investing in new players this summer. Gird your loins, mates.
Agreed. After this fiasco I think they will look for a way out. Hardly going to invest in that situation. Also with a vaccum at the leadership level with Woodward out, that won't be helpful.

I expect a repeat of last summer, a 40m signing and a couple of 20m signings... Or so.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Ideally we have Greenwood filling in upto or RW when required with Sancho and Rahsford as our main wide players and new CF/Cavani and Martial as our strikers. New CF would not be an expansive buy given Sancho's fee. Then next summer we look at sorting our CF position for the long run, if needed

lex talionis

Agreed. After this fiasco I think they will look for a way out. Hardly going to invest in that situation. Also with a vaccum at the leadership level with Woodward out, that won't be helpful.

I expect a repeat of last summer, a 40m signing and a couple of 20m signings... Or so.
Yep, it will be a cold winter when this summer comes.

But let’s forget about that for a moment and put on a happy face here.

All things realistically considered, we would do well to bring in Sancho and Rice, which should be doable for a total of 125m and put us into serious contention for a proper PL trophy run next season. Greenwood looks ready to be a CF though I admit he still has room to grow into the role. I’d love to bring in Varane but he’d be expensive and I just don’t see us spending gobs on a CB.

But back to Planet Earth we must return.

Banana Republic

Sancho might be off to the scousers.
They've been interested for a while and Klopp is supposed to have been in touch, according to the lying scouser fan sites.

Meanwhile, is our transfer budget going to be slashed?
That's the fear that's doing the rounds at the moment.
If we are kicked out of European competitions next season, or fined heavily, the Glazers are not going to sanction any big spending.

SinNombre

Sancho might be off to the scousers.
They've been interested for a while and Klopp is supposed to have been in touch, according to the lying scouser fan sites.

Meanwhile, is our transfer budget going to be slashed?
That's the fear that's doing the rounds at the moment.
If we are kicked out of European competitions next season, or fined heavily, the Glazers are not going to sanction any big spending.
This post is a walking contradiction.

Every reason you come up with why United will spend less, they all apply to Liverpool as well. And they have less money to begin with.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If we start a front 3 of Rashford, greenwood and sancho we have the possibility for a fluid interchanging front 3 as all 3 can play in more than one position up top. Would help against a low defence to drag them out of position
It would just be more of the same with nobody making the kind of runs that stretch the defence. We need Sancho and a centre forward if Cavani departs.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

include Bruno in that so we spent 150 last season and 150 the season before. If we spend 150 again this season then I can see us signing Sancho and at least one more starter.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

include Bruno in that so we spent 150 last season and 150 the season before. If we spend 150 again this season then I can see us signing Sancho and at least one more starter.
I think we will struggle to spend that money this year sadly but if we do spend 150 we would be insane not to try for Sancho

Status
Not open for further replies.