Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Smith

I absolutely love it when United buy young English players because it feels a bit like a kid coming back to their mum's during their University break.

However, has Sancho's performances been that good to the point that we would pay such a large amount for him if he wasnt an English player?

I'm not doubtful about him, but I just want to know what people think is worth such a 100M euro fee.
Yes. One of the most creative players in Europe, backed up by both the stats and the eye test. The difference in Dortmund's performances and results when he's playing/when he's not are poles apart.

To be clear, he's not worth 100mil in the current market because no one has that money. General rule of thumb; you're only worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay for you. But 70-80mil? I'd bite your hand off.

croadyman

Yes. One of the most creative players in Europe, backed up by both the stats and the eye test. The difference in Dortmund's performances and results when he's playing/when he's not are poles apart.

To be clear, he's not worth 100mil in the current market because no one has that money. General rule of thumb; you're only worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay for you. But 70-80mil? I'd bite your hand off.
Think there is every chance we could get him for around £75m plus add ons if we are smart

Eddy_JukeZ

I can't be the only one that thinks Rashford is a better player than Sancho on the left?

BaillyBaillyBailly

I can't be the only one that thinks Rashford is a better player than Sancho on the left?
They're slightly different players but I agree.

Rashford is more direct and a threat in behind.
Sancho is more creative.

The difference between the two is that they were brought up to play in different positions. Sancho as a wide player, Rashford as a striker.
Also Sancho was brought up in the city academy and Rashford in United's.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They will be absolutely perfect for LW and RW respectively. Rahsford with explosiveness, dynamism and a strong shot. Sancho with magic with the ball at his feet and the ability to playmake. We'd finally have balance on our flanks.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
They will be absolutely perfect for LW and RW respectively. Rahsford with explosiveness, dynamism and a strong shot. Sancho with magic with the ball at his feet and the ability to playmake. We'd finally have balance on our flanks.
It would also mean that Greenwood (and hopefully Cavani) can play as CF. Now we only need to shoehorn Pogba into the team (obviously not in CM)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm not holding my breath for Sancho, or any big name signings this summer. If the Glazers won't even pay to fix the turnstiles at Old Trafford why do people think they're going to go big on players? The supposed pressure to appease the fans is pure garbage. These guys have spoken to the fans once in 16 years. They couldn't give a monkeys about us from over in Florida.

There's likely to be a modest budget for signings this summer, as there was last summer, and the summer before. Any further moves will have to be supplemented by sales. As was the case when we only moved for Maguire after we'd sold Lukaku.

The Glazers don't want Ole competing with Pep or Klopp, they want him to be another late stage Arsene Wenger: Buy young and cheap, finish fourth, get the odd trophy here and there to keep us in the headlines.

I don't see us moving for Sancho, or another player in that £75m+ bracket, unless we get rid of Lingard and several others and restrict ourselves to bargain signings in other areas.
We spent £75m last summer during a pandemic, and over £200m the season before (net around £130m). I'm not trying to defend the Glazers here, but we've never been in a situation where we didn't spend the money needed to sign Sancho in a window.

afatzp

If Sancho worth 100+ million, that means Dortmund have two 100+ million worth players (Sancho , Haaland ). Taken they have all other decent players, the math does not add up that they even can't make it top 4 in their league to secure Champion league seat.
My theory tells that, Dortmund play the tactics to boost Sancho / Haaland 's stats to polish their worth , for selling them at good prices. With their privileges of occupying the balls and chances supplied by the whole team, their stats are eye tricking and they are actually never that good.
In football matches, the principles should be simple: Good players make you win.
To me, Sancho is an 40 million buy as fair price . A comparative quote would be Bernado Silva : similar style with dribbling, creativity and agility but lack of dominant strength and pace, Bernado transfered to City at reported £43.5 million . Don't forget Bernado performed in top class competition in Champion League, played key part in Monaco's 2017 knockout into semi-final , and broken the PSG's ruling in domestic league as well. Sancho' performance never hit this level. That was inflated price before pandemic.

theklr

We spent £75m last summer during a pandemic, and over £200m the season before (net around £130m). I'm not trying to defend the Glazers here, but we've never been in a situation where we didn't spend the money needed to sign Sancho in a window.
Yeah, that wont be any problem I think . The real issue is if we're not spending anything else than that..

MetoTTT

OGS wanted Sancho, Grealish and a CB, they have delivered VdB (like him but OGS doesn't use it), Amad (barely get on the bench) and Pallestri. So what's the point?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I struggle to understand how there are people that can't see the benefit what Sancho will bring to help the team.

Early of this season we beat Newcastle 4-1 & beat Everton 3-1 with Juan Mata plays on the right by drift to the middle like Sancho does, people were hyping the Mata & Bruno link up and effectiveness to the team bring more balance. Imagine if we have a quicker & fit version of Mata vs Leeds?
Mata is left footed.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
OGS wanted Sancho, Grealish and a CB, they have delivered VdB (like him but OGS doesn't use it), Amad (barely get on the bench) and Pallestri. So what's the point?
They didn't buy him players he didn't want. If he didn't want them, they wouldn't buy them. Did he not want Bruno? Did he not want Maguire? Did he not want AWB? Or do only count pandemic years?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's naivety to ask for a ton like that in a covid environment, expecting Sancho to be bought for a stupid amount (with cash upfront), Grealish on top, and a CB on top of that :lol:

He also says he's an admirer of Donny, as are the scouts who were monitoring him for a while, he got Telles in too and Cavani. It's not like he's been ignored outright or not been backed whatsoever.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The net spend last year was around £60 million, which is roughly in line for summers where we make the champions league. When we don't make it the Glazers are more inclined to turn the taps on, for obvious reasons.

However, the last time we qualified for the Champions League we signed Fred, Dalot and Grant and sold Daley Blind and Sam Johnstone. That gave us a net spend of significantly less than what it would take to get Sancho, as well as strengthen in other positions.

So the question remains: Have the Glazers learned from 2017-18. Or will the judgement be that the squad we have is capable of hovering around fourth or better so there's no need to spend much?

They didn't buy him players he didn't want. If he didn't want them, they wouldn't buy them. Did he not want Bruno? Did he not want Maguire? Did he not want AWB? Or do only count pandemic years?
Didn't want is probably not the right word. However, we don't know what he was offered. If the club told him: 'Look our scouts have identified Amad and Pellistri and its them or nobody' I'm sure Ole would've said 'yeah, I want them.' Having someone who might work out is better than having no-one. Still, I don't believe the players brought in last summer were anywhere close to Ole's first choices. Even Cavani. I mean Cavani is probably the only one of them who you can consider to have been unqualified success and, until the Spurs game, a lot of people would've definitely qualified the success of the signing.

lysglimt

Scout
If Dortmund categorically denies selling Haaland this summer (which they probably will if Dortmund qualifies for C.L) - then we should sign Sancho if we can get him for £70-75 million or thereabouts.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yet Mata would never do it from wide left.
One does it in one side only but the other one does it in both sides which only illustrates that Sancho being more flexible than Mata. But it doesn’t change the purpose and the role. So why is it matter?

Tallis

Apparently, Dortmund will sell for £80m based on rumours, a 26% reduction in price vs the £108m they wanted last summer. Competition is Chelsea and RM.

We could probably raise half of the cash needed from selling James and Lingard.

I think Pogba will sign new deal so don’t expect to see new MF signing.

I don’t think Ole wants a new CB. If anything, maybe a prospect who can be developed.

We may get a back up RB.

ForeverRed1

sanchos end product and decision making are better. He does the right things at the right time, bit of a assist King which is what I think we need. He will make everyone’s numbers better.

Renegade

It would also mean that Greenwood (and hopefully Cavani) can play as CF. Now we only need to shoehorn Pogba into the team (obviously not in CM)
433 is the answer

DM
BRUNO POGBA
SANCHO ST RASHFORD.

Ole needs to abandon the 4231

Rojow

Why some people think RM could want Sancho? They have players for that position already.

TsuWave

However, has Sancho's performances been that good to the point that we would pay such a large amount for him if he wasnt an English player?
Funny question. Sancho is 21 years old and has been one of the best wingers in the world for 3 years going.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Funny question. Sancho is 21 years old and has been one of the best wingers in the world for 3 years going.
It's not that I doubted him, I just want to know what people think of him.

Was there a CL match that you were wowed by him?

I just dont follow him and want to know how good he is.

theklr

Isn't Falk supposed to.....be good on Bundesliga business?

It could be that we want to get Bellingham before the Euros but I'd guess we're looking at him for next summer when he's 19.
He is alright at Bayern stuff, but aside of that he is a clickbait merchant more or less.

Had numerous wrongs last summer , at least regarding Sancho, and almost every other half reliable United source says we’re still onto Sancho.

Devil may care

He is alright at Bayern stuff, but aside of that he is a clickbait merchant more or less.

Had numerous wrongs last summer , at least regarding Sancho, and almost every other half reliable United source says we’re still onto Sancho.
Wasn't he right about Haaland and Bellingham going to Dortmund? And i thought with Sancho he was the one that said Dortmund wouldn't negotiate the price last summer.

red thru&thru

So Joel has said money will be spent this summer. Prettt confident Sancho will be delivered...if Ole and team still want him!

theklr

Wasn't he right about Haaland and Bellingham going to Dortmund? And i thought with Sancho he was the one that said Dortmund wouldn't negotiate the price last summer.
He wasnt the first to break any of those stories afaik, but he was the most followed german journalist so he just forwarded it.

Neither Dortmund or Bayern fans rate him as the most reliable journo in any case.

Womp

idiot
:lol: Deciding not to sign one of the best youngsters on the planet, in a position we need, to sign a player who doesn't look nearly as ready, in a position we are stacked in. Right. I don't think we are signing Sancho, mind, but it's nonsense to suggest Bellingham is the reason why.

MetoTTT

It's naivety to ask for a ton like that in a covid environment, expecting Sancho to be bought for a stupid amount (with cash upfront), Grealish on top, and a CB on top of that :lol:

He also says he's an admirer of Donny, as are the scouts who were monitoring him for a while, he got Telles in too and Cavani. It's not like he's been ignored outright or not been backed whatsoever.
I didn't say to buy these 3 players was realistic. But at least, buy one of them (top of his list). I was delighted when we've signed Cavani but let's be honest, he was a panic buy. We still need CB, CDM, RW and next season a ST still. We're wasting money.

Devil may care

He wasnt the first to break any of those stories afaik, but he was the most followed german journalist so he just forwarded it.

Neither Dortmund or Bayern fans rate him as the most reliable journo in any case.
He certainly hasn't done himself any favours with the TRUE/FALSE cringe on twitter.

:lol: Deciding not to sign one of the best youngsters on the planet, in a position we need, to sign a player who doesn't look nearly as ready, in a position we are stacked in. Right. I don't think we are signing Sancho, mind, but it's nonsense to suggest Bellingham is the reason why.
Wtf! :confused:

jamesjimmybyrondean

If our budget can't carry Sancho + CB + DM, I wouldn't be opposed to postponing getting him next season with one year left in his contract ( only if there's no competition to sign him this summer) and focusing on a CB and DM. I think a top CB and DM gives us a better shot at the title than Sancho and a CB or Sancho and a DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.