Is Lisandro Martinez single-handedly making the case for [elite] short centre backs?

redIndianDevil

No. Not for me. Because he's a special/specific case where he loves to defend and get physical and has a good jump. That doesnt mean the next shorter CB. even if considered "elite" has those exact qualities and will do well. And without them they probably wont.
Player who doesn't like to defend or get physical or can't jump won't do well as a CB. :rolleyes:

Glorio

I love Martinez and thought he was amazing last night, however I think timing plays a part here. He's playing in a possession-orientated team in one of the most technical leagues in the world, where there are world class coaches across the entire division promoting progressive football.

If he'd joined United 10-15 years ago when the style of the league was different, I'd lean to agree with the sentiment.
As someone mentioned here though, how do you explain Kolo Toure?

redIndianDevil

Martinez was taken off for a reason that game, they were targeting him, and whilst he dealt with most things comfortably, it was a required sub to bring some respite from the bombardment of long balls.

Watch the game and you'll see that time and time again Brentford were hitting long balls to the left hand side of defence to target him, and eventually it paid off.

I think he's done brilliantly bar that game whereby he was relatively new to the team still and had probably never really had to deal with a game plan like that too often and so was slightly hesitant in places.
You can't just blame Martinez for that match. The only reason he struggled in that game was because our pressing was not on point at that time of the season. We just started gelling as a team. If you give opponents space and time on the ball, any CB is going to struggle against tall players and quality long balls.

Pintu

I wouldn't be surprised if CBs under 180cm are never developed a centre-backs, there are probably short players who could do well there but get developed as full-backs or midfielders
The last CB to win the ballon d’Or was around Lisandro’s height… Cannavaro.

telstar96

Baresi and Passarella were small defenders by modern standards. In fact, during most of the 20th century, many CB's would be around 5'9-5'10. The biggest changes since were:
1) Inevitable human evolution - People are generally becoming taller. Gene pooling is more pronounced in sports.
2) The transition to the 4-3-3 and playing a single striker led to a gluttony of tall and strong strikers, capable of playing with limited support due to their athletic abilities (Drogba comes to mind)

So it's more just an evolution of the game rather than the case whereby you can't play CB if you're X height. If anything, the normalisation of false 9's has probably led to a renaissance of the 'smaller' CB and nowadays speed in a defence is a hot commodity, which is much more pronounced in smaller CB's.

NLunited

The thing about the criticism of Martinez was that it clearly was not true. Pundits were going for an easy angle.

First of all: defenders in the Eredivisie are taller on average than in PL.

Second: Licha was winning most challenges in the air in his first games, yet the criticism continued for a while.

His performances shut them down for a while, but the criticism will be back if he looses an important header that is decisive. Because some of these pundits are untruthful opportunists.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Exception to the rule, really. Across Europe I can’t think of a single CB who is also around his height. Even in the weaker leagues.

Azpilicueta for the last few years, I guess? Though he was always in a back 3. Timber at Ajax too? Though he’s slightly taller and far more physical
I've met Azpi and he's at least 5'10".

Short for a CB but not munchkin levels like Martinez.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Martinez is the exception to the rule. Fantastic player and defender with a great attitude.My POTY so far Rashford’s great form notwithstanding.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Maybe if they decide to ban heading or something. I thought they were thinking about it a while ago.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Lisandro Martinez is more along the lines of Cannavaro and Baresi than the norm. He's a world class center back, just so composed on and off the ball, so aggressive, great leap etc. Centerbacks who lack the right physical attributes are obviously a weakness - but you can make up for it with the right aggression. Few players have it like Martinez does.

poleglass red

we had Kevin Moran back in the day, 5 ft 10 in, when teams played 2 up top with at least one big bruising centre forward. Kevin was as tough as anyone, fearless in the tackle, and in the air.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Didn’t Fergie say Gary Neville was a couple of inches short of being the best centre back in the world?

I think Martinez is an exception, along with the others mentioned, because they are exceptionally good defenders. I don’t think short centre backs will become the norm.
Back then there was a lot more ball in the air action and you'd not get away with a shorter centre back as much.

Martinez is an absolute outlier, but you do still need a certain number of players who can head it at set pieces. Casemiro helps massively on that level.

roeliebobs

Supports
Ajax
He worked incredibly well together with Timber last year in an Ajax defense that only gave away 4 goals in the first half of the season last year.
I think he is able to be one of the best defenders in Europe, and maybe he already is, but only if his manager(s) account for his height.

roeliebobs

Supports
Ajax
I wonder when he started playing in his current position? It would be very unusual for short kids to be picked in that position so I’d love to know which coach first saw his potential.
I know that wenn he first came to Ajax he was used as a midfielder, cause he had some defensive shortcommings. In the background he was training with Ten Hag on being better both in defense and with the ball on his feet. The season after that Martinez became a starting defender for us.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I know that wenn he first came to Ajax he was used as a midfielder, cause he had some defensive shortcommings. In the background he was training with Ten Hag on being better both in defense and with the ball on his feet. The season after that Martinez became a starting defender for us.
So ETH gets the credit? Nice!

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
If I was a kid watching the way he plays the game I think that Martinez would entice me into wanting to play centre half. He could inspire a new generation of vertically challenged to want to play the position where before they'd hav been steered towards fullback or DM instead

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's very good but isn't he the same height as Cannavaro, Baresi, Mascherano, Cordoba (all 5'8 or 5'9). Two of those are in the list for best CB's of all time.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Never really doubted him, said the same in his player thread.

Pundits are often lazy with opinions which is why they're not managers.

I think there's no real winning attribute, just have good technique, passion/desire/hunger a good work ethics and be an intelligent player and you'll become a top player.

Oranges038

Didn’t Fergie say Gary Neville was a couple of inches short of being the best centre back in the world?

I think Martinez is an exception, along with the others mentioned, because they are exceptionally good defenders. I don’t think short centre backs will become the norm.
He also used Kevin Moran's age and height for CB as an excuse to get rid of him. And then brought in Mal Donaghy who was roughly the same age and also shorter.

Martinez reminds me of Mascherano moving to Cb for Barca. People thought it was mad. But it worked.

Martinez has extra qualities that people over look, he's got a great leap, he's a good reader of the game. He's quick, incredibly strong, likes the physical battles and is aggressive in the tackle. Add in his calmness and good passing on the ball and you've got a hell of a defender. Not many defenders of his height have all those attributes combined. So it probably won't become the norm.

If it does, we'll probably start seeing teams go back to 442 with 2 6ft plus battering ram strikers up top.

lex talionis

Licha’s height never concerned me. You always wonder if a new player will make it at OT but his height was never a real issue.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He's a product of the trend of building from the back. In any other era players like him would be occupying the midfield. Todays tactics dictate having playmakers at the back, but tactics evolve and all you'll need is a team achieving outsize success with some other formation/ player qualities for this trend to die out and be replaced by something newer.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Exception to the rule, really. Across Europe I can’t think of a single CB who is also around his height. Even in the weaker leagues.

Azpilicueta for the last few years, I guess? Though he was always in a back 3. Timber at Ajax too? Though he’s slightly taller and far more physical
Gary Medel is not bad either, might not be as good but cutting it quite fit in the Serie A for Bologna.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I love Martinez and thought he was amazing last night, however I think timing plays a part here. He's playing in a possession-orientated team in one of the most technical leagues in the world, where there are world class coaches across the entire division promoting progressive football.

If he'd joined United 10-15 years ago when the style of the league was different, I'd lean to agree with the sentiment.
I think that's the entire point though, everyone that whined about how short he was never even took into account how football is played in the modern game. Martinez by every metric at Ajax was an elite defender and ball player, he was just short. It was stupid to say he wouldn't succeed just because of that in a league where even Forrest and Brentford try to play more modern stuff.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You can't just blame Martinez for that match. The only reason he struggled in that game was because our pressing was not on point at that time of the season. We just started gelling as a team. If you give opponents space and time on the ball, any CB is going to struggle against tall players and quality long balls.
I'm not blaming him for that game.

Hell, DDG was at fault for what, two of the goals?

The team was poor, but Brentford targeted Martinez, Tomas Frank even admitted this in the post match interview!

Thankfully it hasn't happened since, and Martinez has settled very nicely indeed.

McTerminator

No. Not for me. Because he's a special/specific case where he loves to defend and get physical and has a good jump. That doesnt mean the next shorter CB. even if considered "elite" has those exact qualities and will do well. And without them they probably wont.
Mascherano?

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I think that's the entire point though, everyone that whined about how short he was never even took into account how football is played in the modern game. Martinez by every metric at Ajax was an elite defender and ball player, he was just short. It was stupid to say he wouldn't succeed just because of that in a league where even Forrest and Brentford try to play more modern stuff.
Journalism in dinosaur comments shocker. :D

Cannavaro won Ballon D'or while being a CB at 176 cm. Licha is not an outlier, it just rare a CB under 180 cm these days.
Aye, Cannavaro’s a great example, and Mascherano was shorter than both!
It might be rare but writing off a CB instantly based on height was beyond stupid, hopefully the pundits and fans aren’t so quick to jump to bullshit conclusions in future.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Martinez doesn't get the overwhelming praise he deserves by the media here. It's because he's 1) not English and 2) a good proportion of idiot pundits ruled him out because of either height or dutch league affiliation and now they don't want to correct themselves.
That, and i think for some reason he's also taken the spot of Maguire who seemingly (and i speak under correction here) hasn't been as harshly judged in the media as his performances warrant.

Irwin99

Mascherano was a superb centre back imo but he was an even better DM. Cannavaro another obvious choice.