Is Neymar's star fading?

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hes an extremely forgettable player who has made a woeful career choice in agreeing to go to PSG.

His star winked out the moment he signed the contract.

RooneyLegend

Nope, he's a magnificent footballer. Top 5 in the world. He does have rotten luck though.

Johnny Love

The best is he moved way from Barca to escape Messi's shadow only to find himself playing second fiddle to Mbappe now lolol. His ego must be in meltdown mode by now.

Last edited:

ArjenIsM3

Well his star was always going to fade when he made the decision to move from arguably the best team in the world in a top three league to a team that's only good because of oil money and that plays in a B-league that hardly anyone watches. The move only ever made sense for him from a financial point of view.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Going to PSG made him a lot of money but its no achievement to go to a sugar daddy club and win the league every year because of money. The only major exposure is the CL for them. Give any club in the world PSG's money and who would he play for? So maybe he bought into a project and maybe it was a brave choice but going to that league was a waste of time.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Going to PSG made him a lot of money but its no achievement to go to a sugar daddy club and win the league every year because of money. The only major exposure is the CL for them. Give any club in the world PSG's money and who would he play for? So maybe he bought into a project and maybe it was a brave choice but going to that league was a waste of time.
If he wins the CL as PSGs standout player, he'll have more than decent chances of winning the Ballon D'Or and since Cristiano and Messi aren't getting any younger this would probably be interpreted as a succession of the throne. So yeah, it made sense from a ambitious point of view. His chances were pretty good since they probably promised him the best team in the world and that's essentially what he got. You're never guaranteed to win the CL though.
But it was also a risky decision. It was clear that it's either CL or meaninglessness since the French league title isn't really al that impressive if you play for PSG. It's similar to Cristiano at Juventus. Nobody will give him credit for it since the team would've won anyway. And his chances of leaving if he decides to are almost zero. He promised his best footballing years to PSG and they won't let him go earlier.

On the other hand, what should he have done otherwise? If he had stayed at Barca, he'd probably still be overshadowed by Messi come 2022 (the year his PSG contract runs out). PSG arguably had the best chance of winning the CL at that point and was the only club that realistically could pay his fee. City would've been the better choice, probably, and Pep could probably have turned Neymar into something like a Messi 2.0 but even for them he would've been far too expensive.

Red4Life_#7

Wouldn't bet against Perez going all out this summer. For all of Woodys claims about us being able to do things in the transfer market no other club can think of, its only Madrid who can realistically do that. Pogba, Neymar & Hazard in, Bale, Kroos and Isco out.
When did Woody say this?? I'm happy to hear this... even thou it's not true, but saying it signifies some dinero in the coffers.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Honestly, he'd probably have been better-off forcing his way to one of the big English clubs. His star would certainly shine more taking a club like City or Liverpool to league and continental glory. Or bring United back to the top of the footballing world. Heck, even Arsenal and Chelsea would have been wins over PSG.

That all said, think only City and United could have 1) afforded the transfer fee, and 2) pay him the ransom wages he'd demand.

USREDEVIL

Fair question and it is. It's his own fault by moving to PSG. Also he's been getting hurt quite regularly so he is fading. Only so many years at your prime! Only thing that will revamp him is a move to another club. I imagine he'll be off to Madrid soon.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He picked the wrong time to become a farmer

wr8_utd

:'(
The guy is still a Top 3 in the world player when fit. Moving to PSG was a disastrous career move though as he's completely lost all exposure that he had and he's under even more pressure to perform in the CL knockout games that the whole world is watching. He was severely criticized for his performance in the first leg vs Madrid last year and in the WC but I think that's just because of the high standards he's set. I thought he was really good in both and gets a lot of unfair criticism. His move to PSG was blatantly all about the money though and I'm sure he still regrets it and so do Barcelona. Neymar to Coutinho is one of the biggest downgrades I've seen in a long time.

MrEleson

He was severely criticized for his performance in the first leg vs Madrid last year
He was probably the best player overall that game after Marcelo and certainly PSG's best player.

Kemizee

In Mbappe's shadow..

Those who actually watch PSG games know it's actually the exact opposite. Neymar is still comfortably the better player. When he's on the pitch, everything runs through him. Can't imagine he'd have as bad a game as Mbappe had against United in the second half because he's far better technically.

Thing is, people want Neymar to fail because they don't like him. And they want Mbappe to overtake them because he's that nice and innocent young prodigy. And personally I don't think Mbappe will ever become as good as Neymar currently is.
My thoughts too. Well put.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I find it fun how people are criticizing Neymar for moving somewhere where he can win titles with ease, yet at the same time Ronaldo is praised for doing the exact same thing.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The guy is still a Top 3 in the world player when fit. Moving to PSG was a disastrous career move though as he's completely lost all exposure that he had and he's under even more pressure to perform in the CL knockout games that the whole world is watching. He was severely criticized for his performance in the first leg vs Madrid last year and in the WC but I think that's just because of the high standards he's set. I thought he was really good in both and gets a lot of unfair criticism. His move to PSG was blatantly all about the money though and I'm sure he still regrets it and so do Barcelona. Neymar to Coutinho is one of the biggest downgrades I've seen in a long time.
Yes, he was excellent in those games. Was one of those examples of how media and fans nowadays only look at scoresheets to judge. Really a shame.

spiriticon

Good player, but he's not as good as Ronaldinho or Ronaldo 9 even at his best.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Yes, he was excellent in those games. Was one of those examples of how media and fans nowadays only look at scoresheets to judge. Really a shame.
Not really, he did have a bad World Cup and while a good performance against Madrid last year his finishing and his last pass were nowhere near as good as it should have been which really cost PSG.

The last time he had a great performance on a big stage was against PSG in 2016. That’s a long time now.

RoyH1

While it is true that the decision to move from a historic powerhouse to a club like PSG in a league with lesser exposure, I can clearly see a connection between his reputation and how many neutrals soured on him due to his constant diving at the World Cup.

I remember so many people in my office making fun of him after the Mexico game. Another example I can think of is my sons football coach saying to his 8 year old players not to make a big fuss about being tackled like that lad Neymar.

He took a big PR hit in the WC, and its going to take him winning big things with Brazil and PSG to turn it around. A shame because he really is a special player.

Jeffthered

Neymar is a unique and outstanding footballer. His quality, ability are beautiful... and he is lethal in front of goal. I love this about him, despite what some may say, he Is not a show-pony.

His issues have been a: far too much hype, and I genuinely believe Brazil could have won the WC 2018 if they put the team ahead of him.. and b: surprise, surprise... Money and agents etc.

However, if he gets to team up with Pogba, Hazard, with DDG.. Ramos, Kroos, Bale, Modric... Then that's an impressive unit. All they need is to add some energy and bite when necessary.

Neymar could still lift Ballon D'Or at some stage. Easily. Guy is an amazing talent, I love watching him.

BarstoolProphet

In Mbappe's shadow..

Those who actually watch PSG games know it's actually the exact opposite. Neymar is still comfortably the better player. When he's on the pitch, everything runs through him. Can't imagine he'd have as bad a game as Mbappe had against United in the second half because he's far better technically.

Thing is, people want Neymar to fail because they don't like him. And they want Mbappe to overtake them because he's that nice and innocent young prodigy. And personally I don't think Mbappe will ever become as good as Neymar currently is.

This. But Mbappé does have the potential to be better than Neymar, though.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
His star is fading only because he left Barca for French League. He should stay in either La Liga or EPL at the prime of his career. He probably regret leaving Barca already.

Saffron

It says a lot about Messi’s intergalactic greatness that a top 3 player in the world switches clubs to get away from his shadow, only to realize that his shadow is the best mere mortals can hope for and that it actually was an honour to be under it.

I find it fun how people are criticizing Neymar for moving somewhere where he can win titles with ease, yet at the same time Ronaldo is praised for doing the exact same thing.
Very true.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
His star is fading only because he left Barca for French League. He should stay in either La Liga or EPL at the prime of his career. He probably regret leaving Barca already.
This is all nonsense.

It says a lot about Messi’s intergalactic greatness that a top 3 player in the world switches clubs to get away from his shadow, only to realize that his shadow is the best mere mortals can hope for and that it actually was an honour to be under it.
I want to puke. And I'm in the Messi camp when it comes to that debate.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
PSG are going to eventually turn it around and get far in the Champions League. They have too much quality and money to keep losing forever although what they have done in the last few years will go down in history anyway and they are going to be mentally fragile for a while after Barcelona and Man Utd fiascos.

If they win CL in the next 4-5 seasons Neymar will go down as a legend there as it will likely be largely because of his contributions.

It doesn’t help that he can be in the spotlight at best about 10 times a season now because whatever he does in Ligue 1 will never be impressive enough.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
In Mbappe's shadow..

Oh wow well look at that..this exact paragraph actually applies to 2 other players we all know whose names I won't mention.

Especially the part about people not liking him and about the nice and innocent prodigy.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
In Mbappe's shadow..

Not in football terms, but I think Neymar miscalculated the effect of PSG having the next big French player while he's supposed to be the star, it's almost the same reason why he left Barcelona, change stablised academy product and team legend for young player that loves the club and can mark an era.

Of course, it's easier to say now, Mbappe developing like he's done in the past two years wasn't an absurd thought, but still a rather large shot, France winning the WC helps Mbappe taking the light away from Neymar too. He has the international spotlight on his side, but if Mbappe/France start amazing while Brazil keep being underwhelming that could turn too, and the press would love to set Neymar as everything Mbappe shouldn't be.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
The very definition of a mercenary. Talented player, no doubt, but didn't have the balls to compete with Messi and took the easy way out.

I bet he deeply regrets leaving Barcelona.
That's the thing for me. If true that he left because he couldn't handle being in a team without being THE main man, then his personality is flawed imo.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Not in football terms, but I think Neymar miscalculated the effect of PSG having the next big French player while he's supposed to be the star, it's almost the same reason why he left Barcelona, change stablised academy product and team legend for young player that loves the club and can mark an era.

Of course, it's easier to say now, Mbappe developing like he's done in the past two years wasn't an absurd thought, but still a rather large shot, France winning the WC helps Mbappe taking the light away from Neymar too. He has the international spotlight on his side, but if Mbappe/France start amazing while Brazil keep being underwhelming that could turn too, and the press would love to set Neymar as everything Mbappe shouldn't be.
The press is already doing that, nevermind the fact that Mbappe is also guilty of ridiculous dives and people try to claim as if Neymar is the influence behind that. No, he's just a football player that dives, like 99% of them out there if they can get any little advantage....the problem is Mbappe is not very good at diving.

That's how it is for Neymar though, the press decided they didn't like him and they will invent all kinds of stories about him, like he was a bully to Mbappe or that he's a diva. You speak to any player on the actual teams he played for though and nobody's got a bad thing to say about Neymar and that means a lot more to me than whatever stories the press come up with.

deadrevelz

That's the thing for me. If true that he left because he couldn't handle being in a team without being THE main man, then his personality is flawed imo.
I could understand if he was unfairly treated, or dropped for an inferior talent. But why would you leave one of the greatest football sides playing with the best footballer ever to go to fecking PSG? Just seems a truly awful decision.

el3mel

He chose that though. He chose to move to a terrible league that people don't know half the teams in it and play for a team people only watch their matches in CL. He chose to become irrelevant for the sake of earning more money.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He chose that though. He chose to move to a terrible league that people don't know half the teams in it and play for a team people only watch their matches in CL. He chose to become irrelevant for the sake of earning more money.
Neymar is a lot of things, but irrelevant isn't one of them, this thread just being one of the many examples of that or the endless rumors about him.

the_irish123

Funny because Messi couldn't win the UCL after Neymar left.