Is Neymar's star fading?

AshRK

World cup was his moment and instead of showing his skills he was more interested in rolling around and acting like a diva. He must leave psg asap. Real madrid would be the most logical destination.

youmeletsfly

The problem is he plays for PSG to begin with. Plus Mbappe is putting in some insane numbers with none of the off pitch nonsense that comes with Neymar so hes being overshawdowed again despite leaving Barca for that reason.
Just imagine his life:

- came as a wonder kid from brazil to Barca to be eclipsed by Messi (even without Messi, CR7 would've been the main face of the La Liga)
- went to PSG hoping to be the big shot and gets eclipsed by a 19 year old Mbapee

Must be sad.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Just imagine his life:

- came as a wonder kid from brazil to Barca to be eclipsed by Messi (even without Messi, CR7 would've been the main face of the La Liga)
- went to PSG hoping to be the big shot and gets eclipsed by a 19 year old Mbapee

Must be sad.
Tragic.

tomaldinho1

Was over-hyped to begin with, a great attacking player but nowhere near the top 2 old boys who are still banging them in for fun.

Issue is people made out he'd be the one to push the boundaries set by the Messi's of the world but he's made a rubbish career move IMO and is now in limbo where any stats he has domestically are near worthless (whether rightly or wrongly because it's Ligue 1) and unless he wins the CL multiple times with PSG I don't see how he can improve the situation without moving to the PL or back to La Liga.

Judas

Open to offers
Just imagine his life:

Must be sad.
Such a hard life. Can we maybe start a charity foundation for him?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Just imagine his life:

Must be sad.
1 like = 1 prayer for Neymar.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Not sure what he could do with PSG for his star not to fade.

100 goals in the league and people would still question the quality of the opposition.

He needs to at a big part in a European run. Hard to do that when you are in Brazil spending quality time with your sister though.
Only uninformed idiots do that.

Imagine writing off an entire league because your frame of reference doesn't go beyond the all mighty PL.

Almost as stupid as some who want Messi to come to the PL because it offers a "unique challenge".

adexkola

Supports
Anyway he's been injured a lot. He needs a good offseason to recover.

The issues with him needing to be a more effective player still stand, but I've never bought into the idea that you can only hone this in the PL or in La Liga.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ronaldo
Kaka
Ronaldinho

All Brazilians who didn't have the careers their potential suggested. Neymar could quite easily be the next one

Trizy

Ronaldo
Kaka
Ronaldinho

All Brazilians who didn't have the careers their potential suggested. Neymar could quite easily be the next one
That's not really fair on Ronaldo or Kaka, though. Injuries ruined them whereas laziness and partying ruined Ronaldinhos.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Ronaldo
Kaka
Ronaldinho

They all had unbelievable peaks though, just didn't have the consistency of Messi and Ronaldo 7.

They also won pretty much everything except R9 somehow didn't win the CL. He did win two world cup medals though, which at least partly makes up for it.

Neymar is rotting at PSG because they drove a dump truck full of cash up to his front door. Complete waste of his talent. At least the 3 mentioned played for top clubs in a top league as long as they were able to.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Only uninformed idiots do that.

Imagine writing off an entire league because your frame of reference doesn't go beyond the all mighty PL.

Almost as stupid as some who want Messi to come to the PL because it offers a "unique challenge".
You don't have to be a one-eyed PL snob to say that Ligue 1 is shite. PSG are 20 points clear at the top and have a game in hand, with a GD 49 goals better than their best challenger.

adexkola

Supports
You don't have to be a one-eyed PL snob to say that Ligue 1 is shite. PSG are 20 points clear at the top and have a game in hand, with a GD 49 goals better than their best challenger.
Last season in the PL City finished 19 points ahead of the next team. I don't even want to look at the GD differential, it's painful.

But playing along here, how many non-shit leagues exist in the world?

charlenefan

That's not really fair on Ronaldo or Kaka, though. Injuries ruined them whereas laziness and partying ruined Ronaldinhos.
Did they though? IIRC it wasn't injuries that cause Ronaldo's form to take a nose dive at Real Madrid. I also don't remember Kaka having injuries at Madrid either?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Shite is too harsh, definitely worse than the PL but as often there aren't middle grounds with these discussions

Patrick08

Surely. No one really cares about what he does in French league with No real competition. Poor world cups and poor champions league campaigns with some unlucky injuries. Grabbing headlines for all the wrong reasons than footballing reasons.

TsuWave

he's one of the best players in the world and if he became available today, every single top club would be tripping over themselves to sign him.

coolredwine

lameredboots
he's one of the best players in the world and if he became available today, every single top club would be tripping over themselves to sign him.
And then sweating themselves over when he gets injured in the beginning of the season and disappears.

haram

Not sure what he could do with PSG for his star not to fade.

100 goals in the league and people would still question the quality of the opposition.

He needs to at a big part in a European run. Hard to do that when you are in Brazil spending quality time with your sister though.
Win CL which will probably win him the Ballon d'Or. Was always going to be difficult winning the Ballon d'Or playing with Messi.

Suedesi

The very definition of a mercenary. Talented player, no doubt, but didn't have the balls to compete with Messi and took the easy way out.

I bet he deeply regrets leaving Barcelona.

Trizy

Did they though? IIRC it wasn't injuries that cause Ronaldo's form to take a nose dive at Real Madrid. I also don't remember Kaka having injuries at Madrid either?
Wait, what? How old are you, genuine question :lol:

JoaquinJoaquin

Would rather have Mbappe every day of the week in my team over Neymar.

Karma caught up with Neymar. Left Barcelona to be the main star in a joke league for money, and now he has been overshadowed again.

charlenefan

Wait, what? How old are you, genuine question :lol:
Too old so that would explain if I've forgotten something :(

Obviously I remember his injuries pre Real Madrid but what happened after he joined? All I remember is the great first season (hat-trick against us) and then not a lot else

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Too old so that would explain if I've forgotten something :(

Obviously I remember his injuries pre Real Madrid but what happened after he joined? All I remember is the great first season (hat-trick against us) and then not a lot else
Won the Pichichi the season after then injuries, partying and eating too over.

His knees were basically papier-mâché by that point.

Bole Top

no one has ever doubted his ability and never will, but moving to PSG meant that whatever he does in France - nobody will care about it. his trophies there have almost zero value simply because there is no competition. he can score 40 league goals, it still wouldn't matter because they don't decide anything as there are no true challengers and rivals. PSG only have 2 important games during the season, home and away game in CL round of 16 - which they always lose. that means their domestic season ends in december when they usualy have about 15 points advantage in league and their european season ends in february.

it also means Neymar can't have one of those 'special' seasons with PSG that first come to your mind when you talk about player's careers. Aguero's couple of seasons with Atletico and City have more value to me than everything Neymar has done and will do with PSG. also, he's yet to have season comparable to Suarez 2013-2014 and 2015-2016. as long as he plays in France, he can't even be compared to those two so forget about comparing him to Ronaldo and Messi.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I don't see how people can blame him for taking the PSG cash and get the oppo to be the main man. But yeah it's true that apart from the CL nobody cares what PSG does.

the_irish123

Just unlucky with injuries.

People forget he won the treble, and was the top scorer of a UCL title campaign. And after he left Barcelona, they have looked bad in Europe.

He's easy to wind up though, a lot of times picking personal battles with defenders which ultimately led to 3 of his biggest injuries. Zuniga letting his frustration go on him made him miss a WC semi final, him wanting to kick a defender back made him roll his ankle in 2018 and play WC at 50% capacity, and the bad challenge this year, after one of these 'duels' made him miss Manchester game.

It doesn't help that his surroundings probably are a bunch of yes man, and will never criticize him, so he will never change and trim the stupidity out of his play.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just unlucky with injuries.

People forget he won the treble, and was the top scorer of a UCL title campaign. And after he left Barcelona, they have looked bad in Europe.

He's easy to wind up though, a lot of times picking personal battles with defenders which ultimately led to 3 of his biggest injuries. Zuniga letting his frustration go on him made him miss a WC semi final, him wanting to kick a defender back made him roll his ankle in 2018 and play WC at 50% capacity, and the bad challenge this year, after one of these 'duels' made him miss Manchester game.

It doesn't help that his surroundings probably are a bunch of yes man, and will never criticize him, so he will never change and trim the stupidity out of his play.
True in a way, then again it's ashame that these type of players still get away with seriously injuring better footballers without proper consequences. I always hope the next game someone f*cks up their knees so these wannabe tough guys get to taste some of their own medicine. Never happens though.

Bobski

I don't think he is a lesser player now than in his Barca years but his performance at the WC, with the excessive screaming, rolling, face holding, feigned tears when touched really damaged his standing. Very few are going to go to bat for him as they would for Ronaldo/Messi, because he is the type of player who is embarrassing to watch at his worst.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
It was a truly terrible decision to join PSG, same for Mbappe as they are now trapped. No other team can afford them and PSG are so ridiculously rich that they will never sell anyway.

youmeletsfly

It was a truly terrible decision to join PSG, same for Mbappe as they are now trapped. No other team can afford them and PSG are so ridiculously rich that they will never sell anyway.
It was worse to act like a total idiot at the World Cup.

I feel that joining PSG wasn't the mistake, they're a great club, decent history, nice fans, nice city, rich, huge ambition etc.(let's not start the arab propaganda, they're a well run club).

His mistake is joining a one team league. It would've been the same if he went to Italy or Germany. The french level is just so low for a player of his caliber. (I'm not taking a shit on the French league, stadiums and fans are amazing, they produce a lot of good players, but the level is so bang average...).

If you leave Barcelona you only have England, you can't go anywhere else. It's either Madrid or United/City/Pool. (based on club size, not history and shit like that).
The guy is at fault for being a total pussy, but his father should be blamed for his career, he's 10 times the drama queen Neymar Jr is.

Also if you look at all the great Brazilian players that spawned in the last 20-25 years, all of them had issues off the pitch and didn't really perform at a high level for more than 2-5 seasons. Neymar doesn't really have those issues, only that his father is always after the money, which is the sad part of the story.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Last season in the PL City finished 19 points ahead of the next team. I don't even want to look at the GD differential, it's painful.

But playing along here, how many non-shit leagues exist in the world?
Shite is obviously something of an exaggeration, but it's very definitely not an elite league. It's probably around the same level as the Dutch league, and a long way behind the top 3 leagues in Europe.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Neymar's a good kid that brings hatred on himself because of how he acts on the field. From all accounts, he's a nice guy off the field but a bit of a twat on it. The issue with him his last year and a half has been his injury. He wasn't 100% fit in the world cup, and made a meme of himself with his rolling around. Now, he's re-injured it, and he's supposedly back in training but I don't know that he's really going to be able to truly kick on and move past this. I might shock some people when I say this, but I'm not a doctor so I don't know how the metatarsal recovers from two injuries in such a short time, I don't think it's like a broken leg where the bone becomes stronger. If not for injuries, Neymar is on pace to be Brazil's greatest ever goalscorer and that in itself is an incredible achievement. For all of Mbappe's precocity with his goalscoring statistics, Neymar was going about the same pace. Now we can debate the merits of the Brazilian vs the French league until we're blue in the face, but it still is an incredible accomplishment.

As far as his exposure in the world since his switch to PSG, I'd argue people talk about Neymar far more now than when he was at Barcelona. His image and marketing has gone up a level, so financially and marketing-wise it has been a great move for him. However, if he doesn't show up in the Champion's League or international tournaments, then the general football fans won't care as much. Although, I really don't think Neymar gives two Frenchmen feck about the average joe's opinion of him or the league he plays in. What I do know for sure is that, when healthy, Neymar can dominate in any league/game. Barcelona would have never had a remontada against his current team without him, and that's with the almighty Messi playing.

buckooo1978

he needs to get out of the French league to reestablish himself

think he's trapped given his contract and a transfer fee

Red_Aaron

He's paid a fortune and has all his whims indulged at a club that pretty much guarantees domestic medals

Honestly, I doubt he gives a toss how he's viewed, he's got exactly the life he wanted

Eddy_JukeZ

He's gotten injured at crucial periods.

Though the injuries he keeps picking up are worrisome.

He's still an incredible player.

Canagel

As much as we all made fun of him we wouldn't have beaten PSG if he was fit. Never understood why people say he's in mbappes shadow. mbappe was stumbling all over the place and pocketed by smalldini. neymar will have punished us.

Eddy_JukeZ

As much as we all made fun of him we wouldn't have beaten PSG if he was fit. Never understood why people say he's in mbappes shadow. mbappe was stumbling all over the place and pocketed by smalldini. neymar will have punished us.
It's because the Mbappe hype is at an all time high and people hate Neymar for his antics(even though Mbappe has started diving loads lately).

Neymar's still clearly a better player than him.