Is Neymar's star fading?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've never believed he was up there with Ronaldo and Messi -- and he never will be

EireRed_GS

Its karma at its finest.. man has one of them smirking faces i'd never tire of punching.

The guy was part of one of the greatest front 3 around/ever, and he chose to move to a farmer league for personal glory and money instead.. I wouldnt want him at United. He'd be more toxic for our dressing room than anything else we've had so far

i joked a long time ago that it would be hilarious if this upcoming kid Mbappe ruined his plan of being the PSG superstar and eventually hijacked his move to Real.. Its looking a real possibility now :lol:

Last edited:

Bojan11

It’s gone.

He’s going to be 28 next year, I expected by now he’d have one or two Messi/Ronaldo type season. I know it’s hard to replicate what they do every season, but even one season where he’s been outstanding and led his team to glory.

Made the wrong career moving to PSG. He really needs to move. He is also getting quite injury prone, but the thing with him is you don’t know if he’s faking it to go out partying.

He had the talent to be as good as the best. But he won’t even surpass Rivaldo, Ronaldo or Ronaldinho at club level let alone international. You could say Ronaldinho after turning 28 threw the rest of his career away, but those four years before that Neymar hasn’t even come close to them.

crossy1686

career ending
You've got to feel that there's only Barcelona that would take him now. They're the only one's that know him well enough, everyone else just thinks he's a massive wanker.

The most telling and damning element of Neymar's time in France is,especially with the emergence of the home wonderkid Mbappe,is I dont think anyone really cares about him.
Neymar is arguably more of a after thought at PSG than he was at Barcelona,a club where he was reported to be desperate to move out of Messi's shadow.

The Nani

The most telling and damning element of Neymar's time in France is,especially with the emergence of the home wonderkid Mbappe,is I dont think anyone really cares about him.
Neymar is arguably more of a after thought at PSG than he was at Barcelona,a club where he was reported to be desperate to move out of Messi's shadow.
He’s literally the new Robinho now.

Done dealio.

Cloud7

Man he really has the worst luck when it comes to injuries and tournaments.

youmeletsfly

Yeah, he accomplished something special by moving from Barca to PSG. He stepped into a bigger shadow.

Tiber

He has never been Ronaldo's equal. And I would still take the current 34 year old version of Ronaldo over what should be a 'prime' 27 year old Neymar without a seconds hesitation

FujiVice

For me, the bloom came off the rose when Cantona threatened to knock his Dad out after the Champions League second leg a few months back.

GBBQ

I've never believed he was up there with Ronaldo and Messi -- and he never will be
I think most expected him to take over the mantle of best in the world when Ronaldo and Messi hit their 30s and declined. At this rate Neymar will be finished before them.

MrEleson

He was the best player in the world for a brief period around October - December 2015 when Messi was out injured and Ronaldo was not at his best under the brief Benitez regime. He was just unbelievable in that period. Was the protagonist to the demolition of Madrid 0-4 at their own ground with Messi on the bench.

Since then he has only shown glimpses of his full potential such as the games against PSG (that famous remontada) and for PSG before that untimely injury last February. Apart from making the wrong choice leaving Barca; it's not really his fault he's been injured so much. Just horrible luck. On his day, he's still better than anyone not named CR or Messi and the most entertaining player on the ball in the world IMO.

The Robinho comparisons are harsh and quite absurd. He's far better than Robinho and has had a much better career still.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If he had some nerve/character, he would give a 100% next season and win PSG the UCL.

But he ain't a leader.
I'll just take him being healthy in the games that matter at this point.

youmeletsfly

He was the best player in the world for a brief period around October - December 2015 when Messi was out injured and Ronaldo was not at his best under the brief Benitez regime. He was just unbelievable in that period. Was the protagonist to the demolition of Madrid 0-4 at their own ground with Messi on the bench.

Since then he has only shown glimpses of his full potential such as the games against PSG (that famous remontada) and for PSG before that untimely injury last February. Apart from making the wrong choice leaving Barca; it's not really his fault he's been injured so much. Just horrible luck. On his day, he's still better than anyone not named CR or Messi and the most entertaining player on the ball in the world IMO.

The Robinho comparisons are harsh and quite absurd. He's far better than Robinho and has had a much better career still.
You have a point here, but he's still a massive cnut and that's what is stopping him to be up there with the other two.

If he would;ve been a real man he would have chosen a real team, or stayed at Barca and won the Messi battle on his own.

Eddy_JukeZ

While it was a bad move career wise going to PSG, the injuries have been the big hit.

He was sensational during his 1st season at PSG before he got injured.

Since his 1st injury though, I don't think he's ever fully recovered. I think he's lost a teeny bit of pace.

Wonder what the future holds. Maybe PSG might be tempted to sell him considering his injury woes lately?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He went to PSG to get away from Messi and be the undisputed main man. Mbappe has now overtaken him and he's probably not happy about it. Strikes me as a very fragile ego, and the type who will follow the money. Would not surprise me at all if he's in China within 2 years.

Eddy_JukeZ

He went to PSG to get away from Messi and be the undisputed main man. Mbappe has now overtaken him and he's probably not happy about it. Strikes me as a very fragile ego, and the type who will follow the money. Would not surprise me at all if he's in China within 2 years.
He's a better player than Mbappe.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's a better player than Mbappe.
Granted, I don't watch much of PSG. Mbappe looks the much more effective player to me. I don't dislike Neymar either. I thought he was tremendous in the 2014 World Cup, and he looked great for Barca when I watched them. I havent seen him do much at PSG, as I said though, I've only seen him in the CL. He was shite at the 2018 World Cup too.

Eddy_JukeZ

Granted, I don't watch much of PSG. Mbappe looks the much more effective player to me. I don't dislike Neymar either. I thought he was tremendous in the 2014 World Cup, and he looked great for Barca when I watched them. I havent seen him do much at PSG, as I said though, I've only seen him in the CL.
Mbappe was a bit subdued during his 1st season at PSG. He was better for Monaco the prior season.

Neymar was a LOT better than him that season.

Mbappe did come back firing after the world cup success and was pretty good/amazing this season for PSG.

Still when Neymar played, it was obvious he's still the better player at this moment in time.

I would imagine most PSG fans on here would agree with me.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
While it was a bad move career wise going to PSG, the injuries have been the big hit.

He was sensational during his 1st season at PSG before he got injured.

Since his 1st injury though, I don't think he's ever fully recovered. I think he's lost a teeny bit of pace.

Wonder what the future holds. Maybe PSG might be tempted to sell him considering his injury woes lately?
Hyperbole is a hell of a drug.

wr8_utd

:'(
There's a lot of hate for Neymar on here but his commitment to his sister and his theatrics aside, he's been a brilliant player and all this seems to get overlooked. The comparisons to Robinho are a joke and imo he's still definitely better than Mbappé if he can stay fit.

The move though was an absolute disaster both for him and Barcelona. The latter would probably have another CL title if he were still there. He's still quality and if he's available on the cheap/a swap deal I think he'd be fantastic for Barcelona again.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
There's a lot of hate for Neymar on here but his commitment to his sister and his theatrics aside, he's been a brilliant player and all this seems to get overlooked. The comparisons to Robinho are a joke and imo he's still definitely better than Mbappé if he can stay fit.

The move though was an absolute disaster both for him and Barcelona. The latter would probably have another CL title if he were still there. He's still quality and if he's available on the cheap/a swap deal I think he'd be fantastic for Barcelona again.
I honestly cannot stand Neymar, he’s such a gigantic twat, and just about everything I hate about the modern footballer, wrapped into one highly punchable package. But the logic of your post is still spot on. Emotions aside he’s obviously a brilliant player. But it’s hard to escape the notion that he has robbed himself of the opportunity to go down as an all time great by forcing through the transfer to PSG.

He obviously has a terrific record for Brazil - albeit padded by being a flat track bully in friendlies against poor teams - but at club level he’s gone backwards. He was part of a legendary front 3 at Barca, and the move has worked out so poorly for all concerned. Barca have spent the money poorly, and Neymar is playing in a league that - with all due respect - is far beneath his talents. It was such a terrible waste to go there, much like it is for Mbappe, as you’d like to see these players playing at the top tier against quality sides and with the world watching.

The only thing about your post that made me chuckle, was the notion that he might be available on the cheap. The only way I can see him getting out of there for less than 300-400m, is if he runs his contract down. PSG’s owners are about the pettiest I have ever witnessed, and I don’t see them letting any key players leave, purely out of pride. We’ve seen how they behave towards teams that humiliate them on the field - going after their players - and I doubt they’d accept any bid for Neymar unless they were getting a higher profile player in return. And well, there aren’t many.

No, I’m afraid he’s made his bed, and now he has to lie in it. He’s going to watch his best years waste away in Ligue 1, along with Verratti. Two players who should be in England or Spain. We can now add Mbappe to that list.

The Nani

You’re right.

Robinho could’ve never hoped to be the waste of talent Neymar is.

No comparison.