Is Neymar's star fading?

Hughie77

Went to wrong club, I think PSG is not where he needed to go, French league is not the best, He should have stayed at Barca, or even gone to Real Madrid.

Got a European club ban now starting next season. He's a top player I like him but it's the same they get comfy and let there standards drop, the only players who's levels are still high are Ronaldo, Messi, and the latter is dropping a bit now.

Neymar needs to leave to go to a better league.

Toad

The problem is he plays for PSG to begin with. Plus Mbappe is putting in some insane numbers with none of the off pitch nonsense that comes with Neymar so hes being overshadowed again despite leaving Barca for that reason.
This is exactly right. He is also in a league of one team which quite frankly, nobody really cares about all that much.

romufc

At PSG they can beat team 6-0 with Neymar getting hat trick and assists and his numbers are brilliant, but that doesn't mean much tbh in a farmers league.

Messi and Ronaldo influence big games, title deciders in competitive leagues, by scoring an equaliser or winner or individual brilliance.

Mbappe will come to a point where he is registering goals but soon you become bored of winning 6-0 every game because when you face a team in Champions league, they are not prepared to have a physical battle or a close game.

Reactions: nimic

Cait Sith

:lol: That's fantastic because not many people thought so anyway
In winter 2015 he was the closest to young Messi I've ever seen. Dribbling, passing, scoring, pace, leadership. He was absolutely better than Ronaldo. He is an uneducated clown of a character surrounded by even more uneducated clowns though so his career is going down the drain. Immense waste. If he had brains and his head was in it and not in partying, gaming and social media, we'd be comparing him to Messi.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In winter 2015 he was the closest to young Messi I've ever seen. Dribbling, passing, scoring, pace, leadership. He was absolutely better than Ronaldo. He is an uneducated clown of a character surrounded by even more uneducated clowns though so his career is going down the drain. Immense waste. If he had brains and his head was in it and not in partying, gaming and social media, we'd be comparing him to Messi.
I don't disagree with all you said, he just never was close to their level consistently so I thought it was a funny post, like pointing out at something obvious and somehow feeling great about it

Inter Yer Nan

The PSG move was purely financial and nothing else. If he'd have brought them a CL title so far then that would have been good for him but two second round exits for PSG isn't a good look. I know, he was injured for the United games. He's stuck there for at least another year or two which is his prime years. He'll never be the best player in the world. His only chance at going down as a true all-time great IMO is if he leads Brazil to World Cup glory in Qatar or if he goes back to Spain and he's a key part of a dominant team.

I think he'll probably end up at Real Madrid in a couple of seasons and in China at some point.

el3mel

It's fading a lot for several reasons :

1) He's playing in a league no one is interested in following or watching it.
2) His team disappoints in CL every year and are known to be serial European bottlers.
3) He himself is getting injured a lot and is starting to miss many important matches and tournaments.

ariveded

He ought to move to EPL, that's the only way his career will move upwards. He needs the limelight, fresh start, and be "loved". That can only happen in EPL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Messi and Ronaldo influence big games, title deciders in competitive leagues, by scoring an equaliser or winner or individual brilliance.
You can’t really claim CR7 is still influencing big game day-in day-out when he’s in a one-team league just as is Neymar. Let’s not act like Serie A or Juventus is any different of a situation. Serie A is not competitive for Juventus, and hasn’t been even before CR7 got there.

cyberman

He ought to move to EPL, that's the only way his career will move upwards. He needs the limelight, fresh start, and be "loved". That can only happen in EPL.
I agree. He needs to be the star of a league and having he, Messi and Ronaldo in the top 3 leagues would lead to a Balon Dor shootout where they don't trod on each others toes

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Neymar has 11 CL goals in 13 games for PSG in 2 seasons

RoyH1

While I don't buy the "EPL is the best" narrative, I do agree with you that his best move would be coming to the most watched league in the world and get a fresh start. The fans of the other 19 teams would loathe him, but his own teams fans would worship a player of his talents. But I think he cares too much about money for him to able to move somewhere else than Qatar FC. No one else can pay him the amounts he wants.

Perhaps if Messi retires soon or moves to Argentina to play for his beloved Newell's Old Boys he could force a move to Barsa but I see it unlikely. And Madrid's purchase of Hazard makes a run for Neymar almost impossible now.

Saffron

I’m genuinely surprised some people even know what he’s doing in France. For me he virtually retired in 2017. I’ve watched his paltry CL showings and that’s it.

I follow the Prem, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga to a certain extent. But who the hell cares about Ligue 1? Who even watches their league games?

izec

I’m genuinely surprised some people even know what he’s doing in France. For me he virtually retired in 2017. I’ve watched his paltry CL showings and that’s it.

I follow the Prem, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga to a certain extent. But who the hell cares about Ligue 1? Who even watches their league games?
French people? People living in France or from there?

redshaw

But who the hell cares about Ligue 1? Who even watches their league games?
Scouts mainly.

Ironically my best recentish memory of Neymar was his super display in the 6-1 thumping of PSG when he played for Barca.

I would go back to Barca if I was him although PSG paid an eye watering sum of money. It was funny at the time to just buy his release clause like that but ultimately football loses.

Last edited:

RochaRoja

If he had some nerve/character, he would give a 100% next season and win PSG the UCL.

But he ain't a leader.
How was being injured for the games against Madrid and United where they were knocked out in his two seasons at the club a reflection of his character or nerve?

RooneyLegend

3) He himself is getting injured a lot and is starting to miss many important matches and tournaments.
This is the main reason. Mainly the only reason. He's still an amazing player when fit.

RochaRoja

If he came to England, he’d be the most hated player in the country almost instantly and booed at every away ground. The only team that would be likely to sign him is City who are well known for not being very well supported so where’s this “love” coming from?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Neymar is 27 now

That's around the age when Ronaldinho and Kaka fell off a cliff...

A-man

You can’t really claim CR7 is still influencing big game day-in day-out when he’s in a one-team league just as is Neymar. Let’s not act like Serie A or Juventus is any different of a situation. Serie A is not competitive for Juventus, and hasn’t been even before CR7 got there.
This is also what a lot of people think about the EPL. Last year City won by around 20 points and this year two teams were 25 points ahead of everybody else.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Neymar is a fantastic talent. Individually, he is only behind Lionel Messi.

I think a big problem for him is his playing style. He is inviting more agressive tackles from players that feel he is trying to humiliate them.

Rossa

Wow, just a little bit judgemental are you? I doubt that many footballers have in fact a formal education, but that doesn't mean they are dumb. I recall many suggested Beckham was stupid, which I don't think for a second.

thejtrain

2) His team disappoints in CL every year and are known to be serial European bottlers.
This, in a nutshell.

United Junkie

Wow, just a little bit judgemental are you? I doubt that many footballers have in fact a formal education, but that doesn't mean they are dumb. I recall many suggested Beckham was stupid, which I don't think for a second.
People had mistaken Beckhams shyness with stupidity which was stupid to think by these people because he has proven to be an immense intelligent man who has business acumen and made a career for himself outside football. Neymar however is a uneducated fool and someone that represents everything that is wrong with football nowadays.

RooneyLegend

It'd be amazing if he came to the prem. What he was doing to Liverpool in Paris was amazing. Swap deal for Paul?

ariveded

If he came to England, he’d be the most hated player in the country almost instantly and booed at every away ground. The only team that would be likely to sign him is City who are well known for not being very well supported so where’s this “love” coming from?
See Ronaldo. Neymar if he comes to EPL, will be talking point of every single team, and this player thrives on attention. But having said that, other than City, its impossible for other teams to match his wages and expensive transfer fee but you never know...

Last edited by a moderator:

youmeletsfly

4. He is a massive cnut
5. He is also a bit girly

This is also what a lot of people think about the EPL. Last year City won by around 20 points and this year two teams were 25 points ahead of everybody else.
Then they would be wrong.

In the last 7 years:

England: City, City, Chelsea, Leicester, Chelsea, City, Utd
Italy: Juventus x 7
France: PSG x 7
Germany: Bayern x 7
Scotland: Celtic x 7 (listed just to show how uncompetitive Italy, France & Germany are).

At least La Liga is a duopoly (occasionally discrupted by Athletico).

youmeletsfly

What is that even supposed to mean? I really don't see the relevance of such cheap comments.
Any player that rolls on the floor 30 times without being fouled, cries with every fecking occasion and moans continuously is a bit girly in my book.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Never seems to happen in the women's game though which would suggest it's more a man thing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Then they would be wrong.

In the last 7 years:

England: City, City, Chelsea, Leicester, Chelsea, City, Utd
Italy: Juventus x 7
France: PSG x 7
Germany: Bayern x 7
Scotland: Celtic x 7 (listed just to show how uncompetitive Italy, France & Germany are).

At least La Liga is a duopoly (occasionally discrupted by Athletico).
In the last 7 years, it's MHRC, Monaco and PSG x 6, if you meant 7 seasons then MHRC is out.