Is Ole’s football really any better than José & LVG’s?

wr8_utd

:'(
Jose rightfully got slaughtered by our fans and continues to get slaughtered for the kind of subs and cowardice Ole shows.

Lewnited

We're basically Jose's 17/18 team, the only difference is we press higher but make more defensive mistakes. We were a pretty good counter attacking team then and we still are now. We had no clue how to control a game then and we still don't now. We conceded stupid late goals then and we still do now. We finished 2nd a mile behind city then and we probably will this season.

passing-wind

I think it's something fans will have to become accustomed to. I have kept this opinion not long after Solskjaer was appointed from the caretaker position, the fact this team has no real identity will only take him so far. The club as a result undeniably has a ceiling (semi's / 60+ points) and it's not going to be pampered over with flavour of the month signings. Individuals form a squad but a winning team is consistent of cohesion that comes from the management / coaches.

I don't believe Ole should be sacked but if there's any expectations of attacking football, league win and dominance of the sort that this club should be achieving its not going to come as a result of the circumstances of who's in charge.

Things have been up and down this season, the same can be said of all teams. We've seen some excellent periods of play under Ole and next season when back to a normal schedule there should be more consistency.

Some people have short memories. Van Gaal served up the most depressing, insulting football I've seen at Old Trafford in over 40 years of going to games. Mourinho quickly decided he was going to try and out do Van Gaal in the boredom stakes as well. Both utterly soulless and depressing eras.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fundamentally, it’s quite negative. Risk averse.

SirScholes

Jose rightfully got slaughtered by our fans and continues to get slaughtered for the kind of subs and cowardice Ole shows.
Think the difference is he had a younger matic Herrera pogba midfield
We have an old matic mctom Fred combo at the minute, the engine room of the team is not what it should be

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Things have been up and down this season, the same can be said of all teams. We've seen some excellent periods of play under Ole and next season when back to a normal schedule there should be more consistency.

Some people have short memories. Van Gaal served up the most depressing, insulting football I've seen at Old Trafford in over 40 years of going to games. Mourinho quickly decided he was going to try and out do Van Gaal in the boredom stakes as well. Both utterly soulless and depressing eras.
If Ole's name was Baxter Coburn, and he had never played for us he wouldn't be getting the same level of forgiveness.. We would be moving on to the next manager.

Roboc7

It’s a bit better but any that idea Ole is an attacking manager who was going to bring in exciting football and look to dominate games has been well and truly put to bed. I still think it’s just Mourinho’s football rebranded and bit better to watch.

Ekeke

Nah it’s all because of Bruno. I hate Jose and Ole is out of his depth as much, the only difference is Bruno.
I think theres truth in that, but we signed him under Ole so we cant see how he would have done under LVG, Mourinho or Moyes

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Regarding your last sentence he surely is making best use of what he has in terms of our style. I'm not sure who is playing out of position on a regular basis. The teams biggest weakness is keeping the ball. Aside from Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof and Mata I'd say every other players biggest weakness is their basic passing and first touch. I don't think we realise how average some of them are in that regard.

So as a result we largely look to counter at speed, it's what suits the majority of our players.

You can still argue the football isn't good enough but I don't think you can argue how we play doesn't suit the players. It's tailored to suit them.

Ole has said we need to start controlling games so I would give him another summer to address the above problem, sign a couple of players who are genuinely excellent on the ball. Both in their quality and choice of pass.

If he doesn't sort it this summer I'd agree time's up.
He's making the best use of the squad by wanting us to play out from the back when our team's biggest weakness is keeping the ball?

Foxbatt

Think the difference is he had a younger matic Herrera pogba midfield
We have an old matic mctom Fred combo at the minute, the engine room of the team is not what it should be
The team he won the EL had Herrera, Fellaini and Pogba in midfield. Fellaini is unplayable lot of times in Europe. I remember Juve scoring at own goal because of him. I known some people don't like him but he was always a good option off the bench.

VivaRonaldo85

To the OP, I wouldn’t say so. The club appears a happier and cheerier place with Ole at the helm, but if you’re looking at the cold hard product being churned out on the pitch, as others have said, we aren’t much different to Mourinho’s 2nd place finishing team. This is with the inclusion of a superb talent in Bruno in the current team.

Ruling with your head and not heart, can we honestly say watching this current United team that we will realistically win the league in the next couple of seasons? If the answer is no, well some serious questions need to be asked by the board.

Stormrage101MUFC

It's better in the sense that there is noticeably more attacking freedom. The actuality quality isn't great.

tomaldinho1

To the OP, I wouldn’t say so. The club appears a happier and cheerier place with Ole at the helm, but if you’re looking at the cold hard product being churned out on the pitch, as others have said, we aren’t much different to Mourinho’s 2nd place finishing team. This is with the inclusion of a superb talent in Bruno in the current team.

Ruling with your head and not heart, can we honestly say watching this current United team that we will realistically win the league in the next couple of seasons? If the answer is no, well some serious questions need to be asked by the board.
The second paragraph is why Ole is such a clever appointment by Woodward. Just look at this forum - even some of the most die hard Ole inners must see the writing is on the wall. Expectations are lower, top four is fine and Ole won’t ever rock the boat.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Until City played a game more than us last night, we were the top scorers in the league. To compare that with the uber-negative shite we endured under LVG/Mou is fecking laughable.

Be nice if we could shut other teams out as well as they did but the entertainment value is streets ahead, obviously.

Zen86

The second paragraph is why Ole is such a clever appointment by Woodward. Just look at this forum - even some of the most die hard Ole inners must see the writing is on the wall. Expectations are lower, top four is fine and Ole won’t ever rock the boat.
What is this "rock the boat" business? And when has "rocking the boat" ever been a good thing for a manager?

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I think it's something fans will have to become accustomed to. I have kept this opinion not long after Solskjaer was appointed from the caretaker position, the fact this team has no real identity will only take him so far. The club as a result undeniably has a ceiling (semi's / 60+ points) and it's not going to be pampered over with flavour of the month signings. Individuals form a squad but a winning team is consistent of cohesion that comes from the management / coaches.

I don't believe Ole should be sacked but if there's any expectations of attacking football, league win and dominance of the sort that this club should be achieving its not going to come as a result of the circumstances of who's in charge.
This is arguably what stands out the most.

Oranges038

It's too slow, players are taking too many touches and it has become very predictable.

tomaldinho1

What is this "rock the boat" business? And when has "rocking the boat" ever been a good thing for a manager?
He’s about as stable and non controversial a manager as you could ever find. Glazers sleep easy knowing there’ll be minimum headlines aside from what’s happening on the pitch.

That stability is great if he’s a great coach but we’re still here 2 years on really wondering what’s changed tactically to Mou apart from a hit and miss press and Bruno.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Until City played a game more than us last night, we were the top scorers in the league. To compare that with the uber-negative shite we endured under LVG/Mou is fecking laughable.

Be nice if we could shut other teams out as well as they did but the entertainment value is streets ahead, obviously.
City were top scorers before last nights game. This top scorers shit needs to stop. People were saying the same about our defense last year." We conceded the second least goals in the league how can our defense be bad." We barely create chances. The games against southampton and leeds are exceptions not the norm.

el3mel

Pretty sure City have been the top scorers in the league for at least 2 weeks now and not just after their last game, thanks to our two 0-0 draws against Chelsea and Palace.

Beside we scored 15 goals of our 54 in 2 matches. That leaves us with 39 goals in the other 26 matches we played.

Ludens the Red

Sometimes you have to take a closer look. After 28 games this season we have 55 goals.
After 28 games in 2017/2018 we had 53 goals. (More from open play in 2017/2018)
Our scoring rate is pretty much the same. We’re second highest scorers in the league now and at that point in 2017/2018 we were 5th highest scorers.

What makes it seem like we’ve scored more goals is purely down to the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool being even less potent.

It’s obviously better than it was under LVG but as many have pointed out using the actual stats were just as we were under Mourinho in his final full season. The similarities are quite something.

Like for instance. Beating one of our biggest rivals 2-1 and then following it up with a pathetic performance in a knockout European tie.

Last edited:

ShinjiNinja26

When on form we’ve played our best football under Ole but it’s never on a consistent basis, and apart from the City game we’ve looked pretty fecking dire for a while now.

Teja

I used to literally fall asleep when the LvG side played. Jose was probably equally boring when the team's form is as shit as it is now. We also generally press a lot higher under Ole than we did under Mourinho and try to at least hit teams in transitions, so yeah I do think it's more interesting than LvG / Jose.

The downside is that form is very streaky under Ole - we have 5-10 games where we just turn to absolute dogshit and then other streaks of games where we play really really well and keeps alternating like that. Part of it is injuries - we really need Rashford + Pogba for that extra threat, but part of it is just Ole doesn't really seem to have as coherent an attacking plan as other managers do when we get to the final 3rd. Just relies on players working their magic.

Someone

Something
There's no doubt in my mind that we're better and that overall there seems to be real progress. Each season is better than the previous one in terms of goals and points. I just wonder sometimes if Ole has what it takes to get us where we want to be. Only time will tell. The club is backing him and I hope he gets support in the summer to make a real push for trophies.

SirScholes

The team he won the EL had Herrera, Fellaini and Pogba in midfield. Fellaini is unplayable lot of times in Europe. I remember Juve scoring at own goal because of him. I known some people don't like him but he was always a good option off the bench.
Yer but we are talking about style of play, with those players people said his style was terrible

Ole has worse players and is playing better football, slightly