Is Peter Schmeichel overrated?

Is Pete overrated?

• NO

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alemar

Great Dane is still a notch below all time best goalkeepers such as Lev Yashin and Buffon. De Gea, if he continues the way he plays for the next 10 years, may well be crowned as the GOAT GK (although it will require a best player in the world award, which only 1 goalkeeper has ever claimed).

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Schmeichel isn't overrated, but Scholes is, at least in importance rather than ability. Only in one season (2002/03) was he indisputably one of the top three players. (Possibly 2006/07 too but I'd still go Ronaldo and the CBs over him at least.)
No he wasn't.... Keane may have been the heartbeat/the enforcer but Scholes was the quarterback who chose where and when we advanced. Genius.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Schmeichel tends to get both underrated and overrated depending on who you're talking to. A lot of United supporters reckon he's without a doubt the best there ever was without due consideration for the career Buffon has had across three decades (on top of his textbook perfect skill-set or technique as a pure goalkeeper at his peak), or the likes of Zoff and Maier and Banks had before Schmeichel, so he does get a wee bit overrated, at times — though at the position, you could argue that modern goalkeepers are considerably better than the old timers, once you put their overall stature aside - especially Zamora and Planička and Grosics and other ancient ones. While others don't fully appreciate how special he was at his pomp, relative to the landscape at the time - a precursor to someone like maybe Neuer as a genuine point of reference at the position in terms of magisterial presence and iconic quality.

Instinctively, it's hard to argue against him as the foremost goalkeeper of his decade — like Dasayev for the '80s or Buffon for the noughties (with someone like Kahn sandwiched between the '90s and 2000s). That alone puts him in rare company — in the midst of the All-Time greats when you club all the decades together. And with regard to how he's ranked by the likes of IFFHS, the mechanics used for their system are a bit shrouded in mystery, and even though he didn't win as many Goalkeeper of the Year titles as others, he is rather appropriately ranked in the elite tier in the World Keeper of the Century poll as well as the European Keeper of the Century poll:

World - Keeper of the Century
1.Lev Yashin (Soviet Union) 1002
2.Gordon Banks (England) 717
3.Dino Zoff (Italy) 661
4.Sepp Maier (Germany) 456
5.Ricardo Zamora (Spain) 443
6.José Luis Félix Chilavert(Paraguay) 373
7.Peter Schmeichel (Denmark) 291
8.Peter Shilton (England) 196
9.František Plánicka (Czechoslovakia) 194
10.Amadeo Raúl Carrizo (Argentina) 192
Europe - Keeper of the Century
1.Lev Yashin (Soviet Union) 498
2.Dino Zoff (Italy) 373
3.Gordon Banks (England) 360
4.Ricardo Zamora (Spain) 304
5.Sepp Maier (Germany) 263
6.František Plánicka (Czechoslovakia) 204
7.Peter Schmeichel (Denmark) 148
8.Peter Shilton (England) 124
9.Gyula Grosics (Hungary) 117
10.Jean-Marie Pfaff (Belgium) 100

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/iffhs-century.html

Mystified by Chilavert's standing ahead of Schmeichel, Kahn, Dasayev and co.

Alemar

Mystified by Chilavert's standing ahead of Schmeichel, Kahn, Dasayev and co.
But Chilavert scored some 100 goals more compared to Schmeichel, also a factor. It's like 20-25% of total career goals for many great strikers

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
But Chilavert scored some 100 goals more compared to Schmeichel, also a factor. It's like 20-25% of total career goals for many great strikers
Schmeichel's skill as a keeper was more than enough to overcome Chilavert's 40-ish goal superiority (which is nothing but a tertiary aspect at the position in the grand scheme of things, anyway). For reference, Koeman scored close to 200 club goals vs. 25 for Scirea, but he wasn't a superior defender or libero or player, was he? I'd personally hesitate to put Chilavert over Pagliuca for the decade or in an all-time context in goalkeeping terms, let alone Schmeichel.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
For the fifth time, De Gea was included in the PL team of the season. Van Der Sar was included three times, but Schmeichel was only included once. He also only twice won the best keeper in the world IFFHS. Both Chilavert and Walter Zenga won it three times in the 90s, and subsequently on paper was better than Schmeichel in the 90s. Kahn won three times and Buffon has won it 5 times since. Casillas won it 5 times in a row!
There's your most overrated keeper in recent times.

JBD-dane

As a dane, it is hard not to be biased.

Some people say, that top-top players must win trophies for their country to be considered amongst the greatest. Other claim that big players step up in big matches. For those who weights these two points high, Big Pete has made it difficult for them to argue that he should be considered as "overrated".

Have people ever seen the Euro 1992 final?
Germany had so many chances, but Big Pete was a wall that night!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Akshay

Deleted member 101472

Are there a lot of people who rate De Gea better than Schmeichel?

padzilla

Hipster
I think De Gea is way behind Schmeicel in terms of his communication with his defence and command of the area. Schmeichel had a presence like few others, De Gea's greatest attribute is his incredible reflexes that are incomparable really but I remember reading that in the Italian football culture that if you have to dive to make a save you did anticipate it properly in the first place and that diving is a last resort, the goalkeeping equivalent of a sliding tackle. I go as far as to say De Gea is behind both Van der Sar and the great Dane in terms of his overall goalkeeping but is ahead of both of them in terms of his shot stopping.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Who would people choose if they had a choice of a 24 year old VDS, Schmeichel or de Gea?

It's been documented here that Schmeichel's organisational skills far outshine de Gea's, which is the only area where de Gea could massively improve, he could also make some improvements in distribution. Schmeichel didn't have the reflexes nor the agility of de Gea, but VDS had strengths in all departments and was both level headed and an organiser at the back (a blend of the other two). VDS arrived late in his career and could really have had a much better career. Personally, I think he would be my first choice (if they're all the same age), then de Gea, then Peter (sacrilegious as that may sound).

stepic

Did you read the OP? As I clearly said, I think he's arguably the best goalie that has ever been, at least the best I've seen. However, considering how few individual awards he was given compared to many other goalies and the few number of times he was included in the PL-team of the season, I wondered if my view on him is colored by my red tinted glasses.
Who cares about individual awards? Anyone who watched him play will know he was a legend. Individual awards mean sod all.

De Gea wins our player of the year because our team is not yet as good as it was in the 90s or 00s. As soon as it is he will stop winning it. We shouldn’t be wanting our keeper to the our best player.

stevoc

Where did you get this information from?

Oaencha

Where did you get this information from?
It’s your typical ‘not bothering to check’ Red Cafe poster stat which is not surprisingly inaccurate as he scored 46 career goals. Still very good but nowhere near 100+.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Are there a lot of people who rate De Gea better than Schmeichel?
Young people I guess. I don't think it's even close.

De Gea has phenomenal feet. Makes Pete look like a pub player, and passing ability/first touch matters for keepers today... But Schmeichel would have developed good feet if he was born the same year as De Gea I believe.

Also needs to be said that his passing ability out of his arms was the best ever. Beyond compare.

stevoc

It’s your typical ‘not bothering to check’ Red Cafe poster stat which is not surprisingly inaccurate as he scored 46 career goals. Still very good but nowhere near 100+.
Yeah either that or just complete bullshit, we get that a lot on here also.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think that it's an equally biased opinion. It's hard to say which one is better, since both are simply incredible and both should be in consideration (although I'd still go with Buffon) in discussions regarding the greatest goalkeeper ever. De Gea's claim will be stronger closer the end of his career, of course.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Schmeichel was an amazing goalkeeper for his era. Bare in mind that during his career goalkeepers didn't play an active part of the team buildup as it happens today.

It was literally a bonus to have a keeper that could be a reliable passing source. I can only remember Rene Huguita and Jorge Campos who would sometimes made crazy dribles and passing tricks, from that era.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I'm just happy to have had/have 3 of the best keepers i've ever seen. All different but in no way can any of them be overrated. I'd take any 1 of them over the likes of Buffon, Casillas etc.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Schmeichel was an amazing goalkeeper for his era. Bare in mind that during his career goalkeepers didn't play an active part of the team buildup as it happens today.

It was literally a bonus to have a keeper that could be a reliable passing source. I can only remember Rene Huguita and Jorge Campos who would sometimes made crazy dribles and passing tricks, from that era.
Schmeichel threw the ball out better than anyone too, quick-thinking and accurate, he often started quick counter-attacks with his throws.

Last edited:

Deleted member 101472

De Gea has phenomenal feet. Makes Pete look like a pub player, and passing ability/first touch matters for keepers today... But Schmeichel would have developed good feet if he was born the same year as De Gea I believe.

Also needs to be said that his passing ability out of his arms was the best ever. Beyond compare.
His footwork isn’t the best, particularly the passing

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Is Peter S overrated?
No.
I saw him through the 90s and he is every bit as legendary as people state.

Some of the saves he made were unbelievable and in many cases, he would scare the striker into an error.
Example:
In 1999 we were going for the treble.
In the FA Cup, our most difficult match came in the semi final, against Arsenal who were regarded as either the best or the 2nd best side in England, at the time.
We had Roy Keane sent off. Our main man. Our talisman. The engine had been ripped out of our side and we were hanging on.
AFC get a penalty awarded to them. D.Bergkamp, AFC's best player steps up to take it. The pressure on both DB and PS would've been immense. I mean, seriously immense. PS makes himself big and DB fails to score.
With 10 men, R.Giggs, thinks to himself, "feck this shit". Vieira (AFC's captain, enforcer and one of the best midfielders in the World, alongside Keane, who was no longer on the pitch) passes the ball to Giggs (yes, that really did happen) and Giggs runs towards arguably the best defence ever seen in the EPL. He literately runs through all the defenders and then beats D.Seaman, to score an unbelievably good goal. And this is all happening in Extra Time, because both teams are fighting so hard.
We won that match and after dismissing our closest rivals, won the final at a canter.

I've seen some great sides in my 43 years living on this planet, but that MUFC side was unbelievable. It just did not know when to quit and accept that they were beaten.
And for those negative nellies who berate our current team/manager: the never say die attitude of the 1999 side, is something I have rarely witnessed since...until this year. Some people want pretty football, but the truth is that "effective football" is what wins you trophies. And in 1999, though we had some good moments, we were "effective"...just like our current side (beating LFC, MCFC, THFC).

Deleted member 101472

I'm just happy to have had/have 3 of the best keepers i've ever seen. All different but in no way can any of them be overrated. I'd take any 1 of them over the likes of Buffon, Casillas etc.
Give me Buffon before van der sar but only just.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Schmeichel threw the ball out better than anyone too, quick-thinking and accurate, he often started quick counter-attacks with his throws.
True that. He was like Conan strength, almost making coast to coast throws with his bare arms

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
For me it's De Gea > Schmeichel > VDS.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Give me Buffon before van der sar but only just.
Yeah, it's all subjective isn't it? Van der Saar for me but i can see the argument for either or. I'll stick with VdS purely on the fact he delivered for United whereas we will never known if Buffon would have, although there is no reason to doubt he would have been successful here.

RetroStu

I dont know how anyone over the age oif 30 could ever think Schmeichal was overrated, honestly.
Also the people saying Cassilas is overrated, i used to watch Real every week on Sky in the 'Galacticos' era and Casillas used to have to mkae 5 or 6 top class saves practically every game. Seriously he single handidly saved Real ever week in the Galactico era, due to how shit they were at defending because of spending all their money on midfieldrs, wingers and strikers while ignoring defenders.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is the best keeper I've ever watched, and I've watched Buffon, Casillas and Kahn for many years.

Lets just say, I personally rate De Gea the best keeper in the world at the moment, followed by Neur. For me Schmeichel was at least a tier or 2 above them - he was that good.

Great command of the area, big presence, great saves, great reflex, great distribution(throw), and above all the greatest keeper in one on one situation. He has everything I want for a keeper.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
He's surely sometimes ridiculously overrated here, but he's probably also underrated elsewhere (which triggers the formers reaction even more, like with @RedRonaldo ). When people talk about the best gaolkeepers of the past 30 years, he certainly doesn't get as much mention as he deserves, mostly because people have forgotten about him. I think it's got something to do with him being from Denmark, he just doesn't have international success (with the NT) and a large footbal national to back him up as much as others.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He's surely sometimes ridiculously overrated here, but he's probably also underrated elsewhere (which triggers the formers reaction even more, like with @RedRonaldo ). When people talk about the best gaolkeepers of the past 30 years, he certainly doesn't get as much mention as he deserves, mostly because people have forgotten about him. I think it's got something to do with him being from Denmark, he just doesn't have international success (with the NT) and a large footbal national to back him up as much as others.
He actually won the Euro 92 with Denmark! I still remember the tournament, when everyone was talking about the great French side with Papin (and Cantona), but Schmeichel stopped them and went on to win the tournament for Denmark, producing many decisive saves. He also stopped England, Netherland (with Van Basten), and Germany in final. He was voted best keeper in the world that year.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

Gary Neville made the TOTY 5 times and there's no way he would be considered a more important player for us than Schmeichel was. David Seamans was one of the darlings of the premier league during Schmeichel's time here so he won it a few times during that period.

Also in the 90's Utd were so dominant that sometimes the players chosen for the TOTY were purposely chosen from any other club but Utd to try and balance the annual honors out a little. An example of that being when Ginola won the FWA POTY in 99 when Utd won the treble when the likes of Keane or Yorke should have easily won it instead.

In the 1995-96 season Utd won the double yet David James got into the PL team of the year ahead of Schmeic's as Liverpool finished 3rd!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

RedMilo

I am fortunate to have watched 3 great goalkeepers in my time watching Utd. Peter, Vds & DDG. I love De gea, and Vds was very consistent, if you ask me if was coaching a kid to become a goalkeeper, I would give them a Peter Schmeichel video to watch and model their game on his attributes. The presence of the man, the will to win, the distribution by glove or kicking, commanding of your box & talking or shouting at his back four - overrated I don't think so...................

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
He actually won the Euro 92 with Denmark! I still remember the tournament, when everyone was talking about the great French side with Papin (and Cantona), but Schmeichel stopped them and went on to win the tournament for Denmark, producing many decisive saves. He also stopped England, Netherland (with Van Basten), and Germany in final. He was voted best keeper in the world that year.
You do then, many don’t. I did not say it was justified, I just analyzed reasons.

Also, two tiers above Neuer and De Gea, really??

The Red Thinker

There are many kids here who don't remember the 90's. They don't remember that Schmeichel was the heart and soul of the United defence. He marshaled back 4. He took care of set pieces in a dominant way. He organised the defence for EVERY corner and freekick. He was an incredible shot stopper. His mere presence used to scare strikers. He made us one of the most feared defences in the world. He set the gold standard to which every United keeper has since been judged on.

Sorry... this thread is not even worth exploring. Winning the year end awards wasn't what Schmeichel was about. He was the very fire at the base of our spine.

VP

Always amazes me how highly rated Buffon is. Just seems to have got this rep for hanging around long enough.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think De Gea is way behind Schmeicel in terms of his communication with his defence and command of the area. Schmeichel had a presence like few others, De Gea's greatest attribute is his incredible reflexes that are incomparable really but I remember reading that in the Italian football culture that if you have to dive to make a save you did anticipate it properly in the first place and that diving is a last resort, the goalkeeping equivalent of a sliding tackle. I go as far as to say De Gea is behind both Van der Sar and the great Dane in terms of his overall goalkeeping but is ahead of both of them in terms of his shot stopping.
:lol: what? There is no way a diving save is comparable to a sliding tackle.

For long distance shots you can reduce the need to dive with good positioning in many cases, but the speed and angle it's hit at will make it essential to dive plenty of times. No level of anticipation can overcome that. For short-distance shots, which I'd think account for the largest proportion of a goalkeeper's dives, the laws of phsyics dictate that you can't be in two places at once so diving is essential. A goalkeeper has to cover off the shortest route to goal - usually the near post - as a starting point, and if the strike is hit sweetly and accurately there is nothing else a keeper can do.

I can't believe anyone can watch this and think that de Gea is just compensating for poor reading of the game.