Is Platini the most underrated footballer of all time?

Bondi77

A little bit off topic but I also remember when England played France in 82 and our very own Captain Marvel was immense scoring two goals winning three one. I am pretty sure we went out of that Cup not losing a game but simply did not score enough.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Platini was an amazing player. Many have touched on his playmaking and goalscoring feats, but one thing that always impressed me was articulate he was in post match interviews. He always had something interesting to offer in a sardonic style, part ironic part philosophical
I’ve been watching off-the-pitch videos of that French team of the 80’s just a few days ago, combined from all we know about him from Juve and even earlier. He was such a likable guy, and yet somehow he had managed to become one of the most hated people in football!

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
In terms of French NT legacy:

Zidane > Pogba > Kante > Henry > Platini

Don't know much about his club career but it seems he was overshadowed by Maradona who played in Serie A around the same time.
Not sure which way you’re meaning to have your greater than / less than signs facing, but why are Pogba and Kante even mentioned in the same sentence as the others?

harms

Staff
A little bit off topic but I also remember when England played France in 82 and our very own Captain Marvel was immense scoring two goals winning three one. I am pretty sure we went out of that Cup not losing a game but simply did not score enough.
Robson was the master of battling the other team single-handedly. There were better midfielders (not many though), but very few could guarantee you a fighting chance in every game regardless the boring stuff like tactics and personnel.

Suedesi

You should watch Platini at Juve then. In the French side of the 1984 he was more of a finisher, at Juve he basically played like Pirlo with more aggressiveness and an odd Inzaghi-esque tap in (about 20 per season).

Platini was definitely a better controlling midfielder and a playmaker. Perhaps Zidane is a better final third passer, but that’s debatable.

That's Bruno Pizzul on commentary - such a knowledgable and affable guy.

Platini had two pure strikers to create for in Rossi and Boniek, and he still got his fair share of goals.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

A lesson in this thread that may not be learned is that any judgement must be predicated on actual knowledge of the topic (yes, I’m a traditionalist).

If you didn’t see Platini play, don’t comment (Platini was a bloody genius as anyone who watched Serie A in the 80s would tell you and is definitely not underrated by those that watched football in that era).

jem

platini better than zidane, this place :lol:
Not sure why you are being so dismissive. A fair number of French people I've spoken to have Platini at the same level as Zidane (if not higher.)

Tostao_80

Not sure why you are being so dismissive. A fair number of French people I've spoken to have Platini at the same level as Zidane (if not higher.)
You're not wrong. Platini in his day was being compared to the mighty Diego. How is it laughable to compare him to Zidane? Diego is widely considered to be greater than Zizou, without much dispute.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
A spin off from the Ronaldos thread. You will never hear him mentioned when talking about great players but my most measured he had an outstanding career.

Though his career after he retired might effect it too.
Platini is regular mentioned as a great. But it does feel that Messi and Ronaldo has made people reassess everyone else.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Don't know much about his club career but it seems he was overshadowed by Maradona who played in Serie A around the same time.
:lol: Not surprised by this given your posts in the other thread

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Him, Zico and Maradona are the face of the 80s.

LiquidSnake

In France, "casuals" and young people just forget about Michel Platini but like in many country for past players.

IMHO, he's the best french player on par with Zidane.

Honestly, I'm tempted to bring in Lilian Thuram who had like litteraly at most 2 or 3 bad games in 142 games and was a world class defender for like 10 years straight.

And despite how things went for him, you have to give Platini that he's a smart man and for example was a great TV analysis (which we didn't know at time and took for granted when you see french commentators level nowadays :lol:).

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Platini had no right to be that good with the body he had. He was a footballing genius, that saw everything faster than anyone on the pitch. France basically gave up on team sports before Platini. Euro 84 was the first time ever, a french team won something in a major event. It started everything.
For me he's on par with Eusebio, Puskas, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo. just below the God Tier : Pelé, Di Stefano, Messi, C. Ronaldo.
And in France, it's actually an endless debate, people who saw both lean slightly towards Platini but it's arguable.

Reactions: Invictus

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
On par with Zizou for me but my uncle who has watched him extensively tells me he was better than him. Not easy to be a success at Juve when he went there

Needham

And yet England had a continuous reputation throughout that decade as being crap. We really weren't. We just didn't know how we were supposed to go about things. We had teams with Barnes, Hoddle, Waddle, Beardsley etc and others all fit for selection. Just didn't have the self confidence to find our own voice, based on feck knows what absence of philosophy.

Raj70

Supports
Liverpool
No, he wasn't.. Absolutely not.
He most definitely was. Before the start of the 1986 world cup, a preview show was highlighting Maradona and Platini and which one will inspire their team to world cup glory. It's only after the world cup that Maradona was the definitive best player in the world, before that he was vying with Platini for that honour.

Member 102134

It's pretty simple, the French would never have been football giants without Zidane 1996 - 2006, he made everyone around him better players

Euro 96 Qualifiers - France had 5W and 5D during qualifying. Zidane featured in 4 of those 5 wins and 2 of those 5 draws. His greatest contribution was probably in the away game vs Romania (a team which ended up winning the group), wherein he assisted the opening goal and scored the 3rd one (great finish), to put the match to bed. He also scored and assisted in the 10-0 drubbing of Azerbaijan. Note that before Zidane started playing regularly for France in the qualifiers, they had 7 points after 5 games and were joint third alongside Poland, behind Romania and Israel in their qualification group.

Euro 00 Qualifiers - I have shared this earlier as well on this forum (so I will just copy paste here), but I do think that this tournament's qualifying campaign surely helps underline the Zidane dependency claim for the French NT of that era (in terms of his presence). France played 10 games in this qualifying campaign and Zidane was unavailable for 4 out of these 10 games, during the middle of the campaign, due to a knee injury which required him to undergo surgery. In the 6 games that Zidane played in during that qualifying campaign (3 before injury and 3 after injury), France only dropped 4/18 points, with Zidane having 1 Goal, 1 Assist and 3 Pre-Assists among the 10 goals scored by France in these games. In the 4 games that he missed, France dropped 5/12 points (scoring 5 goals). This inspite of the fact that 3 of those 4 games which Zidane missed were home games for France. As you can see, Zidane did again score during this qualifying campaign (2nd goal in 3-2 away victory vs Armenia) and France were in danger of not qualifying after losing their way and falling to 3rd place in the group, post his injury (source - http://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/jun/07/newsstory.sport4).

Euro 04 Qualifiers - The French team were in amazing form, and although Zidane did score 3 goals (2 vs Malta yes but also the winner vs Israel) and I believe also had 3 assists, I think it was his overall play that was important for the team more so than his direct contributions to goals. He ended up featuring in 7 of the 8 qualifying games while France ended up winning all 8 games.

WC 06 Qualifiers - In case of this qualification campaign, while much has been made of his and Makelele/Thuram's presence in contributing to the French team qualifying for the WC, post these players' return to playing, Zidane also did have an important goal to contribute. He scored the opening goal in the 4-0 win over Cyprus which was a must win game in which the French had to score as many goals as possible (since if Switzerland were to beat Ireland then France needed to win by 4 more goals to qualify, source - http://www.espnfc.com/story/345459/goalshy-france-need-cyprus-strikes).

So in his own way, one can see that Zidane too was important for the French team when it came to them qualifying for major international tournaments. Overall source for Zidane goals and international appearances - http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/zidane-intl.html

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Apparently in the 80s it was largely disputed who was better between Maradona and Platini up until the 1986 world cup. His goal tally as a number 10/8, his freekicks and long shots were incredibly prolific and his range of passing and vision superb, however he couldn't dribble past players like many of the greats, that would be his weakness
It's a bit low achievement wise. And the Ballon D'ors were before non europeans were a part of it. Maradona would have swept the mid 80's.

I think there is a case to be made, that all from the list might have been the best in the world at some time, and that is not the case with Platini imo
Nonsense. In the first half of the 80s saying Maradona was better than Platini would be a bit like saying Messi was better than Ronaldinho in 2005-06. Not quite, Maradona had been around for a while and been the most expensive transfer, but maybe that helps some younger ones grasp the sudden shift in relative status that takes place in 1986 (2007/08 in the other case).

I wrote this some time ago in the Tiers of Greatness thread:

I'm not sure if everyone on here is too young, or his French/UEFA personna has distorted people's memories, so here we go:

Platini had an exceptional career. Superb for St. Etienne, he was already picking up the French Footballer of the Year regularly in the second half of the 70s while occasionally making the top three for the Ballon d'Or.

Then he moved to Juve and was the architect for arguably the most dominant side in their history. Up until Messi, he was the only one to have picked the Ballon d'Or three seasons in a row and in all three of them he was the top scorer in the most miserly league anyone has witnessed. A midfielder, not a false 9 with brilliant service, he delivered the service AND the goals. Stunning.

Sure, that Juve side had a mean errr... defence, but then -differently from Messi- he did it for yet another side, France, in one of the most outstanding individual tournament performances you will ever witness.

That certainly was the one thing that struck me with the original list on the op. I vividly remember Platini being for me what Messi is for his fanbois. I hadn't seen enough of Pelé but boy, he had to be awesome if he was better than Platini who, unfortunately, hadn't won a World Cup. You could argue yourself silly banging on about Schumacher's decapitation of Battiston having a say in that in '82, '84 being the revenge, and '86 bound to be the grand finale.

He arrived in Mexico somewhat over the hill. Much like Zidane in '06, but carrying an injury, a bit like Maradona going into Italy '90. My family was shocked as I celebrated Brazil crashing out. How come I'd rather France went through?, they asked. "Platini deserves to win a World Cup, it would be a travesty if he didn't", was my answer.

About 24 hours later, Maradona showed the world he had other plans. He had always been "the next big thing", but Platini was firmly ahead and was The Big Thing until that quarter-final against England. Then came Belgium, the final...

And, while Maradona deserves all the plaudits he gets, the criminal outcome of it all was not how England crashed out to the Hand of God, but how suddenly Platini fell from his pedestal. Without a shadow of a doubt the best player so far in a decade plagued with outstanding No. 10s, within days he was all but forgotten and relegated to "also-run" status.

Thus is the fickle nature of football.
Dig up the 1984 Euros, it's brilliant stuff. The best individual performance I had seen until Maradona stole the show in '86.

Seeing as the post was about Platini, I'm not sure I captured just how remarkable Maradona in '86 was. Living through it was like seeing football history being written before you. You knew Maradona was good, but the way he performed you just sat up and went "feck me, we are never going to see anything like this again, are we?". Even the semi between France and Germany felt like a game to decide who would be second. France were knackered after the Brazil game, it was a dull semi, then on comes the Maradona show vs. Belgium. It was spectacular, all that stuff I wrote about Platini's fall from grace, I only realised it after a couple of months, which is how long it took to get out of the Maradona ***fest trance and think more rationally about it all.

[Replying to someone asking if he suddenly went to shit like Ronaldinho]It's different, he didn't go off form or lose it completely. He was injured at the World Cup (not unprofessionally unfit like those two) and tailed off in his last year but not dramatically. Still great but no longer BPITW material, so he quit. It was a bit like Cantona seeing the writing on the wall, even if us fans thought he still had a couple of seasons in him.

TBH though, I don't remember his last year that much, that's how dramatic it was. One day Platini was a World Cup away from being GOAT next to Pelé and a few weeks later the whole notion had been erased from your mind without him or his performances having anything to do with it. Really bizarre.

Pastore27

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
In France, "casuals" and young people just forget about Michel Platini but like in many country for past players.

IMHO, he's the best french player on par with Zidane.

Honestly, I'm tempted to bring in Lilian Thuram who had like litteraly at most 2 or 3 bad games in 142 games and was a world class defender for like 10 years straight.

And despite how things went for him, you have to give Platini that he's a smart man and for example was a great TV analysis (which we didn't know at time and took for granted when you see french commentators level nowadays :lol:).
I totally agree with that part, I rank him very high too in french NT history.

Raj70

Supports
Liverpool
Maradona would not have won any ballan d’or before 1986 if he was eligible. He really didn’t do anything outstanding prior to 1986 World Cup. Infact at the time journalists were saying he needed a great World Cup to justify his talent. No way he takes any of Platini’s awards from 1983-1985.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maradona would not have won any ballan d’or before 1986 if he was eligible. He really didn’t do anything outstanding prior to 1986 World Cup. Infact at the time journalists were saying he needed a great World Cup to justify his talent. No way he takes any of Platini’s awards from 1983-1985.
Heh. It's the old "needs to win" argument. Maradona spent two years in barcelona getting injured while Platini was at his peak. Once Maradona moved to Italy, he was immediately better than Platini, individually, while playing on a worse team for the first 2 years...then he lead napoli to the title in his third...

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Heh. It's the old "needs to win" argument. Maradona spent two years in barcelona getting injured while Platini was at his peak. Once Maradona moved to Italy, he was immediately better than Platini, individually, while playing on a worse team for the first 2 years...then he lead napoli to the title in his third...
Not a chance.

Maradona moved to Napoli for the 84-85 season, which was the last of three formidable Platini seasons. Before it was the Summer 1984 Euro win, at the end of it he wins the 84-85 European Cup, and during it he gets the Ballon d'Or and is the top scorer of both the Serie A and the European Cup.

1985-86 you could argue Maradona was building a head of steam, but Platini was still the top scorer for Serie A winners Juventus. It wasn't as good a season as the previous three and he was 30, but by all means he was still the best player in the world, you don't strike out his 82-85 peak overnight, a more formidable and consistent peak than Diego ever had.

It was at World Cup 86 that the baton was passed and in 1986-87 that Maradona carried on where he left off in Mexico for Napoli to win the Scudetto.

The statement you replied to is absolutely right, a lot had been said about how he had been left out of Argentina's 78 WC winning side and how much better they would be with him. 1982 was a major turnoff. Unreal talent, sure, but watching Zico or Platini and then watching Maradona was men against boys. Let's say Zico and Platini were Messi and Cristiano to Maradona's Neymar.

harms

Staff
No, he wasn't.. Absolutely not.
Yes he was. And for a long time he was seen as a better one out of the two, especially after he dominated the 1984 Euros like no one did before or since. It was only after 1985 that it all began to change — Platini got less motivated (he spoke a lot how the Heysel tragedy really changed the priorities of everyone on that Juve team) and Maradona became to finally fulfilling his potential by leaving Barca & assuming more responsibility for Argentina. After the sensational 1986 World Cup Maradona got ahead of Platini in public's perception and never looked back.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think he suffers a little because he doesn't pass the eye test with the same flying colours that most of the greats - and especially the other number 10s - do. His range of passing and set-piece ability was exceptional, but one of his greatest attributes was the timing of his runs through a packed defence. Nobody ever did it better from the middle of the park. But that's not something that translates well to a highlights summary of his career. And it doesn't give the same 'wow' factor you get when you sample Zidane's balance on the ball or Messi/Maradona/Ronaldinho's close dribbling.

That's a fair assessment.
Personally, I've never seen why people rate Zidane above him

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Beautiful footballer to watch, such a great passer and able to damage teams consistently.

Always try for him or Laudrup in the office I-XI of all time chat.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not a chance.
Yes. Again, perception. Maradona was a better player than Platini from the moment he set foot in Italy. He was better than Platini in serie A in both the 84/85 and 85/86 seasons. What Platini had for him over Diego was the '84 Euro, and the '85 European Cup with Juventus. So, you're absolutely right that Platini would have won those ballon d'ors regardless. That he was a better player than Maradona at the time...is another story. Arguable

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

The lack of footballing culture and knowledge in this post is staggering. And you obviously never ever saw Platini play.

Reactions: Fortitude

HaliRed

Man, I'm getting nostalgic reading about this too. Euro 84 was the first proper tournament I saw every match of, and Platini, Tigana, Giresse were absolutely amazing.

And the quarterfinal vs Brazil in 1986, was probably the best match of the decade in my humble opinion.
Incredible match...I liked both teams but declared I wanted France to win right before the match started.

IMO, the only other WC match I hold in as high a regard is Brazil vs Italy in 82. A shocker of a result, but what an entertaining and blindingly skillful match.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Nonsense. In the first half of the 80s saying Maradona was better than Platini would be a bit like saying Messi was better than Ronaldinho in 2005-06.
I specifically said mid 80'es.

he moved to Juve and was the architect for arguably the most dominant side in their history.
Really? He was there for five years and he won two Serie A, one Coppa Italia and one European Cup.

you don't strike out his 82-85 peak overnight, a more formidable and consistent peak than Diego ever had.
I disagree. Maradonas peak from around 84-89 was better and more consistent than Platinis. Before Messi/Cristiano, Maradona was a certain in a top two tier along with Pelé in almost everybodys view. Platini was never viewed that way.

Yes he was. And for a long time he was seen as a better one out of the two, especially after he dominated the 1984 Euros like no one did before or since. It was only after 1985 that it all began to change
Before and until Euro '84 you're probably right. I believe the perception of which of them was the better player changed in the following season when Maradona came to Napoli.

Yes. Again, perception. Maradona was a better player than Platini from the moment he set foot in Italy. He was better than Platini in serie A in both the 84/85 and 85/86 seasons. What Platini had for him over Diego was the '84 Euro, and the '85 European Cup with Juventus. So, you're absolutely right that Platini would have won those ballon d'ors regardless. That he was a better player than Maradona at the time...is another story. Arguable
That's my take on it as well.

RooneyLegend

Its supposed to be arguable. You're talking about the absolute best players of the era. I prefer Zico to both of them myself.

snowkarl

What?!

This has got to take the prize for the most crazy thing I've ever read on this forum..

Paul Pogba > Kante > Henry > Platini?!

Even for you, Mr Halal, that is an absolutely crazy opinion, especially since you admit in the very same post, to know nothing about his club career and I doubt you're even older than 19-20...

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Platini was an amazing player. Many have touched on his playmaking and goalscoring feats, but one thing that always impressed me was articulate he was in post match interviews. He always had something interesting to offer in a sardonic style, part ironic part philosophical.

My first idol, but Maradona's emergence coincided with his physical decline but Diego just obliterated him from the scene. And Michel just fecked up his legacy when a became a politician.

I just like to remember him as a maestro of the ball, and the key player for Juve and France in times where football was not as money driven and corrupt as it is today.

*pic removed*
He's a very intelligent and articulate man and I think his style of play translate it very well. I can read french and still have "L'Equipe's" golden book 1987 (right after his retirement) in which wrote many articles about him and football in general. His writing level was very high, much more than most the professional sport journalists nowadays. He had a very elegant way to pin down a thought with simple words. About the decision of ending his career, he said "I retire today because I won't be better tomorrow".

I'm old enough to remember the last two years of his career, which were plagued by injuries (groin particularly). Especially the WC 1986 where he played under injections. He still was a brilliant player with a rare elegance. His game vision, passing range and positioning were absolutely phenomenal. His only downside was that he lacked somewhat physical presence as well as stamina, as he didn't gave a feck about fitness. He largely compensated with his intelligence but there's no way he would've lasted a half-time if he played today.

He's not well known because he spent most of his career in the french league (Nancy and St-Etienne) and came relatively late to Juventus. Also, as you said, Maradona. I still consider him as one of the best 10 ever.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
He'd have an argument for 1979 where, if SA were eligible

Cancel that, it should have been Zico in 1979

"according to Flamengo, scored 89 goals in 1979 (81 for his club, 7 for Brazil and one in a friendly).

According to Bruno Lucena, from the Brazilian side's department responsible for studies and archives, "if Zico had played the full season – he was injured and was out for a couple of months – he would have certainly notched up more than 100 goals."

Last edited:

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

You still have to win something with your team though. God knows that I'm a sucker for Diego, but before 86 there were still question marks over him. His transfer to Napoli surprised everyone at the time, some saw it as a career suicide. He was exceptionally talented, more than Platini, there was not the slightest question about it, but yet had to achieve something be it with his NT (not including the Youth WC in 78) or his club to win it. As far as I know no one won it without any major title on a club or national level. Platini lead his team to win two European trophies and was also Capocannoniere three season in a row (83-85). On a national level, his exceptional performance in the Euro 84 earned France its first major title ever. His trophies were well earned.

It was clear as day that he was carrying Napoli on his back, largely overachieving, but its team needed reinforcements to compete for the title. After Napoli's first title and his glorious WC 1986 he should have won it and it shouldn't have been the last one.

Reactions: Fortitude