Is Poch really the answer?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Whilst I agree with the general Woodward being the issue, the summer signings and stacking the academy with oodles of talent has probably given someone the best chance of succeeding here if they came in now. We've shifted a couple of the deadwood and they'd just need to finish off the job.

I think someone like Poch would love to work with the talent of Greenwood, Rashford, Bruno and Martial. Not to mention having lads like Elanga, Mejbri, Diallo, Pellestri, Tuanzebe, Mengi to mould into top players
I think the summer signings were a bit of a mess to be honest. Cavani is a misfit in this squad. VDB is a player in one of the few positions we already have quality in, and Telles although he might turn out to be a good signing wasn't really someone I'd have thought would be a priority. I don't think any of them leave us significantly better off than last year although I obviously want all three to do well.

Nothing wrong with singing academy players either but you'll be lucky to get one top player out of any group of academy players, and even then half the time they have to go elsewhere before they will reach that level. If a manager replaced Ole now, they wouldn't be winning or competing for leagues with our academy players in 2-3 years time, and you wouldn't find fans suddenly willing to be more patient with them either.

The front four is something I would actually give Ole the credit for since he was brave enough to back Greenwood, has overseen significant improvements in Rashford and Martial, and signed Fernandes. You can argue Rashford and Martial might have naturally improved anyway but Ole has backed them where Jose for example wouldn't have.

Every manager will have their plus points and their down sides, but the problem at United just very clearly runs deeper than that. Every year we are back having the same discussions about Woodward. Every manager we have he seems to end up working against rather than for. We see a clear pattern with United where the goal is short term revenue gain rather than long term success. If I was a Klopp or Pep for example I know I would probably avoid United because it's quite clear that the club wouldn't have the same priorities as me, which would make succeeding very difficult, and one of the biggest parts of being succesful is being smart and determined enough not to work with people who make it harder for you.

I don't like the term deadwood as I think it's a stupid way to talk about your own players, but the reason it's banded around here so much is because we do not manage or recruit players effectively, and we do not have consistent or acceptable standards on the pitch that we hold them to, or even allow our managers to hold them to. There's no incentive for a player at United to push themselves. There's no consistency with the standards players are held to. Pogba, and this isn't meant as an attack on him, is an example of everything that is wrong with this club. One player can get frozen out for misplacing a few passes, while another can fumble around misplacing passes, costing the team games, engaging in open warfare with their manager on and off the pitch, treading all over the club's status in press conferences and there are no consequences whatsoever. Presumably because it might hurt the marketing.

From the outside at this point I'm pretty sure we look like a bit of a joke. I'm amazed when we sign a decent player never mind manager...and I'm convinced that someone like Fernandes for example would just not hang around at United for long, because they will just realise they are better than that and that the club isn't interested enough in reaching the levels they want to reach.

That's the thing though. All managers have been backed on the transfer market. We spent hundreds of millions. Yes you can make a claim that Jose didn't receive full support, but who does? Real didn't spent a penny this Summer and have proven in the past that players are bigger than the manager and marketing value plays big part in recruitment and also playing them.

PSG and City are the only teams that I'd pin down as a better place to manage considering lack of domestic competition and unlimited resources. Everywhere else you risk being sacked after a string of bad results.

Nowhere else you will have such a leeway like Ole does. Kovac was sacked after winning the title. Lopetegui was sacked after 14 games. Solari the same season. Lampard who is doing a good job all things considered will be first on the sack list if he goes in just one of Ole's bad runs in the last three years.

Valverde was 2 times back to back La Liga winner - sacked being level points on top at La Liga. Setien sacked after that Bayern loss.

Meanwhile at United - you get to spend hundreds of millions. Win nothing(even the Mickey mouse cup), finish 6th, 3rd, worst start of the season in 50 years, last year we had another barren run, the year before - again barren run, get battered at home by Spurs of all teams 1-6 and you are still in the job.

Standards are truly like a midtable club with money.
We appointed Jose, signed a bunch of players for him, and then when he wanted to build a Jose Mourinho team we decided this is not what we wanted. That's not really backing him. We wouldn't even let him manage his own players. He wanted, quite rightly, to hold Pogba to the standards you'd expect and need from a top level player, and the club wouldn't let him do it, and wouldn't let him get rid of Pogba either.

He certainly had to go but even then we kept him around for another 6 months letting him sabotage things, because he knew as well as everyone else that the club were not interested in doing things his way.

You've completely lost me with the Lampard comparison. When he took over Chelsea were in a much better position than United. Last season United have then finished above Chelsea and through the course of the season been a better side than them. Neither team has won anything. Then this summer Chelsea have literally more or less signed a new team while Woodward ponced around pretending to sign Sancho. This is another weird thing with our fans. Some of you are SO determined to criticise our manager or particular players that it is like you just completely blind yourselves to anything that can't be used as a criticism, or just use it anyway in the hope no one notices that it makes no sense.

And if you are moaning about the standards the club applies to the manager and it's team, then surely you are admitting that the club does not back it's manager to be succesful? In your words "standards are truly like a midtable club with money"...Our manager doesn't decide what standards the club holds itself to unless the club allows them to.

You don’t seriously buy that do you @noodlehair ?

Klopp was in a job when United rightfully approached him, and he has never broken contract, is on record saying he’d never do it.

Klopp was jobless when Liverpool approached him.

All this narrative about him and Woodward is just Klopp playing up to the scousers about how he “chose” them.
I'm not sure what there is or isn't to buy into. Klopp's story makes a lot of sense particularly where he's talked about Woodward....no one would "never break a contract" if the opportunity was too good to turn down.

If you were one of the best managers in the world and could choose whether to work with United/Woodward or not, would you?

Pochettino is the tier below for me. A good manager but he's shown at Spurs that he's happy to make do, and at United all that will do is get the fans and media on his back within a couple of years when we're back to trying to paint 3rd place as a success and then not being able to push on from there.

monosierra

I think the summer signings were a bit of a mess to be honest. Cavani is a misfit in this squad. VDB is a player in one of the few positions we already have quality in, and Telles although he might turn out to be a good signing wasn't really someone I'd have thought would be a priority. I don't think any of them leave us significantly better off than last year although I obviously want all three to do well.

Nothing wrong with singing academy players either but you'll be lucky to get one top player out of any group of academy players, and even then half the time they have to go elsewhere before they will reach that level. If a manager replaced Ole now, they wouldn't be winning or competing for leagues with our academy players in 2-3 years time, and you wouldn't find fans suddenly willing to be more patient with them either.

The front four is something I would actually give Ole the credit for since he was brave enough to back Greenwood, has overseen significant improvements in Rashford and Martial, and signed Fernandes. You can argue Rashford and Martial might have naturally improved anyway but Ole has backed them where Jose for example wouldn't have.

Every manager will have their plus points and their down sides, but the problem at United just very clearly runs deeper than that. Every year we are back having the same discussions about Woodward. Every manager we have he seems to end up working against rather than for. We see a clear pattern with United where the goal is short term revenue gain rather than long term success. If I was a Klopp or Pep for example I know I would probably avoid United because it's quite clear that the club wouldn't have the same priorities as me, which would make succeeding very difficult, and one of the biggest parts of being succesful is being smart and determined enough not to work with people who make it harder for you.

I don't like the term deadwood as I think it's a stupid way to talk about your own players, but the reason it's banded around here so much is because we do not manage or recruit players effectively, and we do not have consistent or acceptable standards on the pitch that we hold them to, or even allow our managers to hold them to. There's no incentive for a player at United to push themselves. There's no consistency with the standards players are held to. Pogba, and this isn't meant as an attack on him, is an example of everything that is wrong with this club. One player can get frozen out for misplacing a few passes, while another can fumble around misplacing passes, costing the team games, engaging in open warfare with their manager on and off the pitch, treading all over the club's status in press conferences and there are no consequences whatsoever. Presumably because it might hurt the marketing.

From the outside at this point I'm pretty sure we look like a bit of a joke. I'm amazed when we sign a decent player never mind manager...and I'm convinced that someone like Fernandes for example would just not hang around at United for long, because they will just realise they are better than that and that the club isn't interested enough in reaching the levels they want to reach.

We appointed Jose, signed a bunch of players for him, and then when he wanted to build a Jose Mourinho team we decided this is not what we wanted. That's not really backing him. We wouldn't even let him manage his own players. He wanted, quite rightly, to hold Pogba to the standards you'd expect and need from a top level player, and the club wouldn't let him do it, and wouldn't let him get rid of Pogba either.

He certainly had to go but even then we kept him around for another 6 months letting him sabotage things, because he knew as well as everyone else that the club were not interested in doing things his way.

You've completely lost me with the Lampard comparison. When he took over Chelsea were in a much better position than United. Last season United have then finished above Chelsea and through the course of the season been a better side than them. Neither team has won anything. Then this summer Chelsea have literally more or less signed a new team while Woodward ponced around pretending to sign Sancho. This is another weird thing with our fans. Some of you are SO determined to criticise our manager or particular players that it is like you just completely blind yourselves to anything that can't be used as a criticism, or just use it anyway in the hope no one notices that it makes no sense.

And if you are moaning about the standards the club applies to the manager and it's team, then surely you are admitting that the club does not back it's manager to be succesful? In your words "standards are truly like a midtable club with money"...Our manager doesn't decide what standards the club holds itself to unless the club allows them to.

I'm not sure what there is or isn't to buy into. Klopp's story makes a lot of sense particularly where he's talked about Woodward....no one would "never break a contract" if the opportunity was too good to turn down.

If you were one of the best managers in the world and could choose whether to work with United/Woodward or not, would you?

Pochettino is the tier below for me. A good manager but he's shown at Spurs that he's happy to make do, and at United all that will do is get the fans and media on his back within a couple of years when we're back to trying to paint 3rd place as a success and then not being able to push on from there.
Didn't Klopp reject United due to that "Disneyland" pitch from Woodward? Who in their right mind would sign up for that kind of management?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

:houllier:

Eh, wot? We were transfer banned and had just sold the player responsible for literally half the goals in the team the previous year. And on top of that our next best player was rushed back to play in the previous year's cup final, resulting in him being injured and missing half our games.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
That's the thing though. All managers have been backed on the transfer market. We spent hundreds of millions. Yes you can make a claim that Jose didn't receive full support, but who does? Real didn't spent a penny this Summer and have proven in the past that players are bigger than the manager and marketing value plays big part in recruitment and also playing them.

PSG and City are the only teams that I'd pin down as a better place to manage considering lack of domestic competition and unlimited resources. Everywhere else you risk being sacked after a string of bad results.

Nowhere else you will have such a leeway like Ole does. Kovac was sacked after winning the title. Lopetegui was sacked after 14 games. Solari the same season. Lampard who is doing a good job all things considered will be first on the sack list if he goes in just one of Ole's bad runs in the last three years.

Valverde was 2 times back to back La Liga winner - sacked being level points on top at La Liga. Setien sacked after that Bayern loss.

Meanwhile at United - you get to spend hundreds of millions. Win nothing(even the Mickey mouse cup), finish 6th, 3rd, worst start of the season in 50 years, last year we had another barren run, the year before - again barren run, get battered at home by Spurs of all teams 1-6 and you are still in the job.

Standards are truly like a midtable club with money.
It’s cute how people here always compare us to those clubs you have mentioned. However there is a huge difference. The clubs you have mentioned replace their manager and then mostly go on to win their league or CL or at least compete for them.
Whereas whenever we have replaced someone the next guy only managed to qualify us for the CL just once in 2-3 seasons.
I also very much doubt that Zidane for example or the last few Barca managers would have won leagues or CLs with us like they did with Barca / Real.
Our boom bust cycle for the last 7 years shows that unlike at other top clubs sacking the manager will only bring 1 season of qualifying for the CL and / or a domestic cup trophy. However success beyond that will only come if we also have comparable board level competencies which are mostly there at Bayern, Chelsea, etc.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Get Poch in ASAP. Forget about the league, if we are lucky maybe we finish top 4 but very unlikely. Poch will get 2020 to implement his tactics and get to know the players. 2 transfer windows to get 1-2 players where we can add more quality to the squad. We can look at challenging in 2022. I really think we should have approach Poch 2 years ago instead of giving Ole a full time role.

AngliaRed

Whoever comes in next, I would want a DOF and maybe Evra and Rio in the backroom staff. They know what playing for Manchester United wins and how much they still love the club and can instill that into the lazy slapnuts we have currently.

we have the players and depth to win trophies. We just need a manager to instruct and motivate.

jasT1981

Is he the answer?

Short term - Yes.

Long Term - No.

We will be here in 2 and a half years again if not sooner looking for a new manager. He won't have been backed after qualifying for Champions league or he didn't make top 5 and he will be sacked.

To quote Battlstar Galactica - All this has happened before, And will happen again.

Its a cycle.

Start season badly
Sack manager
New manager
Back him first season or 2
Get Champions league
Fail to reinforce
Start season badly
Sack manager.

DickDastardly

Who could tell really?

I haven't watched a Poch team play in, well, years.

I don't actually remember how Tottenham played in games. I vaguely remember them beating Pep's City - a really fun game to watch.
Didn't focus on the tactics, it was just fun.

Do i want us to be fun to watch? HELL YES! ! !

What i do remember is Fergies last league team.....now THAT was fun as feck! Winning every game out of a losing position.
Going 2,3 goals down in the first 20 minutes then clawing back for a win! What a season.

I'd do that. I want that!

KeanoMagicHat

He is clearly the best option in the market we could get now if Ole is sacked. And he's available and you don't have to pay compensation.

RepardReece

People seem to forget how well Poch did with Spurs. Everyone wanted him before his final season. He's definitely a step up from Ole who clearly doesn't have a clue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he reach the CL final having made no transfers that summer? I don't know if he could bring us trophies every season, but who else is available? Worth a shot imo.

OrcaFat

No he is not the answer. He is one of many answers to the question “who might manage United next”. He just about has the credentials to be considered, as he supposedly was when Mourinho came in.

I don’t rate him particularly highly but I think he could do okay. I honestly don’t expect anyone to get us higher than 3rd with the current squad. But I would take Poch over Ole remaining as of last night. If we stuff Everton and go on a run, I’ll back Ole again but I don’t see it happening. So if offered the option of Poch today, now, I’d say ok.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Probably not.

But who knows.

Ole isn't exactly coming across as the Messiah at the moment. He needs to turn things around very quickly - and like many others, I'm not exactly confident he'll do that.

Poch is an obvious candidate if they're actually seeking to replace Ole NOW.

To be perfectly honest, I struggle to care very much either way. If Ole gets sacked, I'll say fair enough and give the next (poor) fecker a chance.

RedIan

Poch has better creds than ole.

ole managed Cardiff - relegated -
next port of call part timers Molde does nowt.
next call, temporary Manager of the mighty Man United until they find a proper replacement. Players are so relieved to br rid of Jose they play without a care and win 12 games, board rush to appoint Ole off the back of it, reality hits and we loose game after game. He buys Bruno and we start playing somehow finish 3rd.
this season worst start ever 1 point from 12 at home, embarrassed by spurs 6-1 embarrassed by Palace 3-1

Poch , Manages Southampton for 1 year - finishes 8th, their best ever finish -
Spurs snap him up - finishes top 3 in his 4 first seasons at Spurs, gets to Champions league final

Wiki on Poch
Pochettino favours a very high-pressing, attacking style of football. He often employs a 4–2–3–1 formation at the clubs he manages. While doing so, he instructs his team to build from the back, intimidate and unsettle opponents with a quick-press system and work the ball into the box.
Pochettino is hailed by many pundits for his focus on developing local players from the clubs' youth academies, get local government and references' support, and a willingness to promote young players in general.It was also noted that many young players under his tutelage went on to play for the England national team while the manager himself felt that it was his duty to develop English talent, saying "I feel when I arrived in Spain and now in England in which way can we say 'thank you' to the country that opened the door when I didn't speak English. And how people treated me and my family and my staff which was really well. It's a way to say thank you to the Premier League and the people who trust in you".

Players coached by Pochettino also praised his man-management approach and guidance with his willingness to advise, encouraging the players to take charge of their own development as well as helping them to improve physically, technically and mentally.

its a yes form me.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I think we've potentially bet on the wrong horses (Matic extension for example), but Cavani is the only true no 9 in the squad so I don't see him as a misfit. I don't see anyone coming into a club and complaining about Telles, VDB and a back up striker. I think they will have more of a gripe with the players that are already here.

I'm not saying they're all going to be successful, but it gives the manager a lot of options and doesn't have to go to the market for everything.

I agree, Ole has definitely has have a large impact on the forwards. The numbers they put up last year as a 3 were impressive and he definitely deserves credit for creating a system that allowed for that.

I would agree here as well, but I just personally feel we probably are in a bit better of a position that in the past. Before we were just playing dour football and couldn't do anything, but at least we put in some great performances against good teams as well as the howlers.

It's an easy way to talk about a long list of players who shouldn't still be here, but I agree it's mainly due to the amateurish way we try to "protect an asset's value". You make a valid point on the standards as well, but I think this also plays into what a I just said as well. Kind of similar to the sunk cost fallacy.

Oh yeah, we really do, there's no doubt. We have history and charm though, everyone we sign has a high opinion of themselves and thinks they can be the one to bring back the glory to this club and get paid a fat wedge for doing it. When they realise what they've been sold may not be here for a while, they want out.

Enigma_87

You know who

Jose, just like other managers should also have a plan B. We don't know the full details of why the relationship with the board soared, but there are always other options available when things don't go your way and you can't get your man. As for Pogba - when you bring in an asset worth hundred of millions will interfere no doubt sometimes with the management and the board. It's not only with Pogba - it's everywhere in big clubs. When you manage a big club and have the experience to do so, you are used to it and Jose is perfectly aware of this.

What you can do is like Real did to Bale - you freeze him and if the results go your way I doubt this will lose your job.

As for Lampard - last year they had a transfer ban and a huge injury list to begin with. This year we saw what Ole was doing before bringing Bruno and if not the corona and Rashford returning it might not ended the same way for us, considering the nosedive Leicester took.

Lampard is not a top level manager either, yet he had zero investment in the team, lost his best player and took them to 4th. Chelsea weren't in a better position than United - that's something I can't agree when Lampard came. They were with a transfer ban and losing Hazard to Real.

My point was - if Lampard went on a bad run like the ones Ole had in all of his three seasons so far he would've been sacked on the spot. Even if they finished 4th last year and he's on the same run Ole is right now, he would have been without a job weeks ago.

Even if he was in his first season taking over Jose's side, beating PSG and then going on that bad run, I bet he wouldn't have been Chelsea manager for the next season.

Other clubs are really ruthless with managers that are not proven and start to underperform.

As for the last para - yes it's issue with the board that they hire managers like Ole in the first place and another issue with the board not to sack him numerous times till now. Ole is here for the ride - that's clear, but in order to have ambition and to show ambition the board shouldn't thing twice about sacking a manager with his results or after a 1-6 pummeling to Spurs.

At the end of the day if you manager of a multi billion company and you pour hundreds of millions and you have nothing to show for 2 seasons in a row (yes I know Ole inherited the team in his first) - then that's clearly a problem with ambition, when you compare us with similar clubs with such resources.

Enigma_87

You know who
It’s cute how people here always compare us to those clubs you have mentioned. However there is a huge difference. The clubs you have mentioned replace their manager and then mostly go on to win their league or CL or at least compete for them.
Whereas whenever we have replaced someone the next guy only managed to qualify us for the CL just once in 2-3 seasons.
I also very much doubt that Zidane for example or the last few Barca managers would have won leagues or CLs with us like they did with Barca / Real.
Our boom bust cycle for the last 7 years shows that unlike at other top clubs sacking the manager will only bring 1 season of qualifying for the CL and / or a domestic cup trophy. However success beyond that will only come if we also have comparable board level competencies which are mostly there at Bayern, Chelsea, etc.
Like Real who went for years and years to the first or second elimination round in CL?

I'm shocked to see United fans failing to realize how important the manager is to the success of the team on the pitch. When I was playing competitive football like 15 years ago if you underperform on the pitch first one to go was the manager. You don't sack the owner, or the players or move the stadium.

It's the manager's job to deliver with the resources he has and the board has to set the targets to match.

Liverpool were nobodies till couple of seasons ago, yet Klopp turned their fortunes quite quickly. You say that you doubt that Zidane would win titles with us, based on what? We don't have the resources to give him a competitive squad compared to Pool or City? We don't have Spurs resources to play CL final or RB resources to play SF in CL?

Come on. You can shout and scream at the owners all you want but they are here to stay and that's their club at the moment - you won't move them or make them sell. Even if you do - who is going to buy the club apart from some Arab state owner or guy like Abramovic? Will that make you happier?

Wayne's World

We won't know If he's the answer until we try and he'll get my full backing unlike Ole who's out of his depth

patty123

and Telles although he might turn out to be a good signing wasn't really someone I'd have thought would be a priority.
Well in one game he offered more of an attack threat than shaw has for yrs and the lad Williams, that should have being played in his right position (RFB) rather than left full back

What utter tripe and so like our fan base and its fecking love of rewriting history as do you actually forget or purposely forget these words ?

“Because as an all-round player, I think I’ve improved a lot and a lot of it is down to them two years under Jose.

“Yeah, we had ups and downs, but when I look back on it, it was a tough period but definitely a period that made me a better player.”

As for signing Bruno, he has ran the lad into the ground more than any other player and his utter dependency on him was there towards the end of the last season when he would give others needing a rest a break, none for Bruno and its showing now.

As for Martial falling out with jose, he is a very arrogant twat at times, like when he ran his mouth about when Zlat took his shirt number and spot, why, because he had dropped off since the start of his second season here under LVG and was playing and still does play at times like he couldn't give a feck.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Like Real who went for years and years to the first or second elimination round in CL?

I'm shocked to see United fans failing to realize how important the manager is to the success of the team on the pitch. When I was playing competitive football like 15 years ago if you underperform on the pitch first one to go was the manager. You don't sack the owner, or the players or move the stadium.

It's the manager's job to deliver with the resources he has and the board has to set the targets to match.

Liverpool were nobodies till couple of seasons ago, yet Klopp turned their fortunes quite quickly. You say that you doubt that Zidane would win titles with us, based on what? We don't have the resources to give him a competitive squad compared to Pool or City? We don't have Spurs resources to play CL final or RB resources to play SF in CL?

Come on. You can shout and scream at the owners all you want but they are here to stay and that's their club at the moment - you won't move them or make them sell. Even if you do - who is going to buy the club apart from some Arab state owner or guy like Abramovic? Will that make you happier?
I am not denying how important a manager / coach is. But maybe you are failing to see how equally important a competent board is. And what I mean by that is not just the amount of money they spend, but rather how they spend it, how they waste it, how they keep past it players on big contracts so long, how they make desperate last minute signings, how they never seem to have a plan B, etc., etc.
And no idea why you mention RM’s CL drought, they still managed to win the league in 2003 and then in 2007 while having trouble in CL, similar actually to United in the same period under SAF.
And no, Zidane would probably not have won the CL or league with us, actually most probably not. RM’s squad has been way stronger than ours’ in the last few years and Perez is much more ambitious and suitable for his role than Woodward/Glazers.
Well yes, Klopp turned Liverpool around, I would also take him at United, but guess what, he is not coming. It took Liverpool several decades to turn things around partly because of poor ownership and failed managerial appointments.
It will be the same with us. Of course Glazers aren’t going anywhere. But unless they are prepared to make changes at board level and implement a proper structure many more United managers will fail. The evidence is there at our club for the past 7 years.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Depends what the question is. If it's 'what rhymes with scotch?' then sure.

Lee565

My worry with poch is that it's somewhat similar to recruiting mourinho in that we would be hiring a manager who got the boot in his last job for dragging his club down to the bottom half of the table and potentially given his best years already.

I would much prefer to see the club sign a promising manager that is on the rise like Marco rose, nagelsmann or hasenhuttl. dare I say I think I would even prefer Rodgers over potchettino as I prefer his style of football and been very impressed with what he has done at Leicester despite keep losing some high profile first team players.

Last edited:

Devil may care

There's question marks over him and he wouldn't be my first choice, but he did have Spurs playing good stuff for a decent length of time and he has a good record for sustaining a top 4 presence, something that we haven't had for nearly a decade.

reddevil702

W
My worry with poch is that it's somewhat similar to recruiting mourinho in that we would be hiring a manager who got the boot in his last job for dragging his club down to the bottom half of the table and potentially given his best years already.

I would much prefer to see the club sign a promising manager that is on the rise like Marco rose, nagelsmann or hasenhuttl.
Worked out for Liverpool when they brought in Klopp.
Jose was on a downward spiral and fallen out at multiple clubs before United. Poch seems more similar to klopp in that his style just ran its course at Spurs and there was no way they were going to achieve the success they had the previous year.

Lee565

W

Worked out for Liverpool when they brought in Klopp.
Jose was on a downward spiral and fallen out at multiple clubs before United. Poch seems more similar to klopp in that his style just ran its course at Spurs and there was no way they were going to achieve the success they had the previous year.
I thought klopp saw out the season with dortmund before wanting a break from football and had to contest with his best players being transferred where as poch never had that issue but did do fantastic working on a modest budget which is definitely something we need in the next manager with the club being tight fisted with transfer funds whenever we get top 4 finishes.

Dominos

For me it isn't just about good coaching. We need coach that can create winners or winners mentality. Poch has proven he can't
I think it's an overrated concept.

The likes of Alex Mcleish, Roberto Martinez, Ranieri, Laudrup, Harry Redknapp have won a trophy in recent times and you wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole. He's a young manager who's managed 1 decent sized club so far in his career while he was getting outspent by his rivals to the tune of 100s of millions.

If he was appointed PSG or Bayern manager tomorrow and he inevitably started winning trophies would that be proof he's got a winning mentality? Or would it just be proof he's found himself in good circumstances. He's not proven he's incapable of winning a trophy, he's just a young manager who hasn't won one yet.

In an ideal world yes we'd have a proven trophy winner, but as I said the only managers of that ilk will get labelled as defensive, pragmatic and with no defined style of play. So it's pick your poison. You won't find all boxes ticked outside of Pep and Klopp.

Foxbatt

I didn't watch enough of Spurs. I know that he is a better option than Ole. My choice is either Rose or Nagelsmann.

Dominos

The issue I have with blaming the transfers is that's probably a good excuse if we were just about falling short of the title and we needed that final push. Or if the squad we had was nowhere near top 4 quality. Neither of these are the situation we find ourselves in.

What you can't blame on transfers is not even looking like a football team. A team that cannot press as a collective. A team that cannot pass the ball. A team that has no idea on how to create a chance against a team with men behind the ball. A team that looks like a bunch of strangers.

There's no way the likes of Leicester, Everton and Arsenal have better players than us overall. I just don't accept it.

siw2007

No idea, I like Poch, I think he did overall a great job at Spurs. There will obviously be discussions as to why he couldn't take the final step, probably was a culmination of a number of reasons, some of which he will take blame for. Apart from last 1 and a half seasons, I always liked the way his teams played, it wasn't exactly the most exciting thing I've ever seen but it was entertaining.

I may be looking too much into things, but one thing I'm wary about if he did succeed Ole was whether the full press would be as successful here. It worked very well to start with but that might have been to do with WHL's smaller pitch which helped them suffocate their opponents. The bigger pitch at Wembley might have hindered their game plan, but Old Trafford is also a big pitch too. Of course could be talking nonsense here.

AFC NimbleThumb

No one can definitively say if Poch is the answer but is unequivocal that OgS has produced something too erratic to persevere much longer.

DRM

Anything from the media about us approaching Poch?

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think it's an overrated concept.

The likes of Alex Mcleish, Roberto Martinez, Ranieri, Laudrup, Harry Redknapp have won a trophy in recent times and you wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole. He's a young manager who's managed 1 decent sized club so far in his career while he was getting outspent by his rivals to the tune of 100s of millions.

If he was appointed PSG or Bayern manager tomorrow and he inevitably started winning trophies would that be proof he's got a winning mentality? Or would it just be proof he's found himself in good circumstances. He's not proven he's incapable of winning a trophy, he's just a young manager who hasn't won one yet.

In an ideal world yes we'd have a proven trophy winner, but as I said the only managers of that ilk will get labelled as defensive, pragmatic and with no defined style of play. So it's pick your poison. You won't find all boxes ticked outside of Pep and Klopp.
I'm not really talking about a manager that has just won trophies so that makes him have a winning mentality. We could get Di Matteo if that's the case. I'm talking about a manager that can instill the desire to win in a team. Not saying I know who that is for certain but I doubt it's Poch. Poch did well with Spurs but it's not just that he didn't win anything, it's that he bottled it at every chance he got and that's quite alarming

Frank Grimes

I would be optimistic with Pochettino at the helm. No guarantee of him being a success but we all know Solskjaer isn't the answer at this stage. If Pochettino could give the team a set identity that would be a decent start.