Is Pochettino's time at Spurs coming to an end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OohAahMartial

Getting Poch because he was good previously, despite winning nothing, after a worse run of games than our current manager, would be just as stupid as hiring Jose after his disastrous last season at Chelsea and thinking it's not that version that we will get but the previous successful one. The excuses that get made for him are constant, but with the quality players he has had at his disposal, in particular Kane, to never even win a Cup is inexcusable. That his lack of winning reflects his verbalized attitude to winning shows that it is because he has failed to instill the winning mentality that Champions need. An attitude that one can clearly see Ole trying to instill. Honestly, if you really love Poch more than Ole just become a Spurs fan and go join their board. You're more White than Red.

redshaw

If Ole can get top 4, 4 times in a row we can maybe start comparing them. Taking their last 17 games or whatever is ridiculous.

Using this logic we can take Klopp's last games for Dortmund and compare to anyone out there.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
You're taking Pochettino in his worst period at the club. People still rate him because of what he did before that. A manager can have a difficult year but still be rated and people can look at why he may be struggling at Spurs (stuck in a bit of a rut) and think that he would be more successful elsewhere.

Sarri wasn't even sacked, was he? Juventus came in and it was mutually beneficial for both parties than he move on.
Well what he has done before that is not win anything and finish 3rd or 4th. This wouldn't keep you in a job for more than 2-3 years at teams like United or Chelsea either. It wouldn't be good enough to. People have been hanging their hat on the CL final as an achievement instead.

Plus this is a "worst spell" that has lasted two thirds of a season. That's a very long spell. If United were 11th after 24 games of a season, would it even matter what the manager in question had achieved prior to that?

It comes down to the same thing it always does. If you want to date Pochettino as a top level manager, you have to judge him by the same standards you would one.

Yeah Sarri wasn't sacked. Mistake on my part due to listening to my dad moaning about how he should be for about 4 months!

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Well what he has done before that is not win anything and finish 3rd or 4th. This wouldn't keep you in a job for more than 2-3 years at teams like United or Chelsea either. It wouldn't be good enough to. People have been hanging their hat on the CL final as an achievement instead.

Plus this is a "worst spell" that has lasted two thirds of a season. That's a very long spell. If United were 11th after 24 games of a season, would it even matter what the manager in question had achieved prior to that?

It comes down to the same thing it always does. If you want to date Pochettino as a top level manager, you have to judge him by the same standards you would one.

Yeah Sarri wasn't sacked. Mistake on my part due to listening to my dad moaning about how he should be for about 4 months!
Debatable.

We haven't done it post Fergie so it hard to know what the owners would think.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I assume our resident spurs fans want him to stay on?
At the moment yes however if things don't start improving very fast this will change. There is something wrong at the club and it's been wrong since probably January. No idea what it is but our form has been absolutely shite since then with currently no indication it is going to change. I honestly think this is Poch's last season with us - he could be gone before the end of it if we continue like this.

At the moment yes however if things don't start improving very fast this will change. There is something wrong at the club and it's been wrong since probably January. No idea what it is but our form has been absolutely shite since then with currently no indication it is going to change. I honestly think this is Poch's last season with us - he could be gone before the end of it if we continue like this.
Who would you like to replace him?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Expectation and investment at United will be different than Spurs.

Pochettino achieved those success with significant lower expenditure than other top six rivals. It is not rocket science to assume that with a larger investment in his squad, he will do better. Pep has the first billion dollar squad and look how successful he is. Poch doesn’t need that much investment, he just need what we have given most of our manager post sir Alex to achieve a better standings and result. I don’t know why some fans find that so hard to understand. Money = success.

When people also start talking about Poch recent run, Klopp in his last season had Dortmund near bottom. Yet Liverpool knew how talented he was and that investment paid of. United will be crazy to miss out on the next Klopp. We still have fans on here asking why we didn’t sign Klopp from Dortmund:lol:

That is a very good question. Honestly I have no idea who I'd like that might be available. No obvious candidates.
I can see you going for Howe, young British manager that plays a good brand of football.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

He also finished 2nd. And he did all this on a budget similar to the likes of Stoke and less than teams like West Ham during a new stadium rebuild, after having to completely restructure the squad after the AVB disaster. Why are you judging a manager of a club with the resources of Spurs, by the same bar as clubs with the resources of United or Chelsea? And yes, getting to a CL final is an achievement .. of course it is, he did it with Spurs.

He got us top 4 last season and in to a CL final. This season we've started poorly and our away form is horrible, clearly not all is right at the club. Yet season by season he's achieved his objectives and I wouldn't be surprised if we still make top 4 again (ahead of Ole) despite the problems at the club. The fact is that Pochettino has probably been at Spurs a little too long and things have become a tad stale, especially due to lack of real investment over the years, and that's taking its toll. It would on any manager, do you think Klopp or Guardiola would be world class without all the investment? Guardiola finished behind Poch in the league with stars like Aguero, De Bruyne, Sterling etc .. he needed another couple of hundred mill to get where he is.

So you wanna judge Poch by the same standards as Klopp and Guardiola, even though he's had far less in terms of resources? How is that fair? If I think Howe is great, do I judge him by the same standards as Pochettino too? Context is always important, and the situation at Spurs for Poch hasn't always been at all easy, he's had nowhere near the backing the managers at top clubs get. Only this summer did we see any genuine investment and we're yet to see that on the pitch because it's early days and 2/3 of them have been injured.

Poch has done incredible work for us and took us to places nobody would have predicted (runners up in the prem, cl final, top 4 every single season etc) when he took charge of a club in a real state. If/when he goes he will be applauded by the fans for what he did for us, even if we think it's time to part ways, and if he goes to a club with real backing he will win trophies and be a success, of that I have zero doubt.

edcunited1878

Poch has some top quality players and a spirit about them, but even then, their performances have included a lot of grind it out results. Their league point total has declined the past 3 years. Spurs had an amazing CL run, but in reality, they are missing at least one huge piece and that's a complimentary attacker for Kane and Son.

Lloris and the back four have been good/reliable. Play three CMs such as Winks, Ndombele, Sissoko, Eriksen. Kane and Son are class. Then it's between a Lamela, Dele Alli or Moura for the final attacking position...just isn't good enough to get them to that next level combined with a change in tactics or mentality.

Not sure how Poch would get on at United without Kane, Son and Eriksen/Lamela. It would be interesting to see how he would setup United with Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood and Pogba.

Aouer-United

One of the reasons why SAF is a great manager. He kept the squad very competitive for almost 3 decades and winning trophies. Poch couldn't do with Spurs, Klopp couldn't do with Dortmund. Pep just left Barcelona, managing the club three times for 3-4 years each.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I can see you going for Howe, young British manager that plays a good brand of football.
Oh god I hope not - we don't need a manager with potential now we need a proven winner. Howe would be completely uninspiring and would probably signal the end of Spurs aiming to be a top club. In my opinion of course.

Amerifan

Some of Poch’s comments over the summer sounded like man who’s burned out. The comment about leaving if they won the CL was particularly telling. I’d be surprised if he’s anywhere next season. After a year off he’ll be back. Top managers can’t stay away for long.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Poch has some top quality players and a spirit about them, but even then, their performances have included a lot of grind it out results. Their league point total has declined the past 3 years. Spurs had an amazing CL run, but in reality, they are missing at least one huge piece and that's a complimentary attacker for Kane and Son.

Lloris and the back four have been good/reliable. Play three CMs such as Winks, Ndombele, Sissoko, Eriksen. Kane and Son are class. Then it's between a Lamela, Dele Alli or Moura for the final attacking position...just isn't good enough to get them to that next level combined with a change in tactics or mentality.

Not sure how Poch would get on at United without Kane, Son and Eriksen/Lamela. It would be interesting to see how he would setup United with Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood and Pogba.
We have Moura and Alli (and Lo Celso when he becomes available) - that is not our problem. Our problem is a lack of bite in midfield - Sissoko and Winks have their plus points but neither are able to regularly intercept passes or make tackles in the middle of the park - Wanyama is basically done and Dier seems to have disappeared.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That is a very good question. Honestly I have no idea who I'd like that might be available. No obvious candidates.
Nuno Santo would be the most obvious candidate. He's done brilliantly with Wolves on a similarly low budget to that of Poch and Spurs.

He may very well be the next Poch.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Nuno Santo would be the most obvious candidate. He's done brilliantly with Wolves on a similarly low budget to that of Poch and Spurs.

Thats actually a pretty good shout - he has something about him and has been doing a fantastic job.

edcunited1878

We have Moura and Alli (and Lo Celso when he becomes available) - that is not our problem. Our problem is a lack of bite in midfield - Sissoko and Winks have their plus points but neither are able to regularly intercept passes or make tackles in the middle of the park - Wanyama is basically done and Dier seems to have disappeared.
Moura doesn't get Spurs to that next level. Alli isn't a good enough footballer to push Spurs up.

Spurs central mid area is very functional and industrious. Dier, Winks, Dembele, Wanyama...two of them have usually set the foundation for Eriksen or the third CM to go about the pitch and support Kane and Son...which has also enabled the fullbacks to go forward.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Feck that. Hate the way Wolves play .. incredibly dull.

Skills

Snitch
Well what he has done before that is not win anything and finish 3rd or 4th. This wouldn't keep you in a job for more than 2-3 years at teams like United[/B] or Chelsea either. It wouldn't be good enough to. People have been hanging their hat on the CL final as an achievement instead.

:lol:

Would get you a statue. Just getting the job gets you a banner and a song these days.

Patience

I've heard it on rally good authority that he genuinely felt he was getting the United job - as we had spoken to his reps in Dec-Jan-Feb..

He was stunned when Ole got the gig - and has been really down since.

ArjenIsM3

It's not as binary as that. I would think before before writing a smart-ass response. Be ruthless if there is a manager who's taken us as far as possible and there is a much better version of him in terms of playing style then it would make sense to go for him. Upgrading, Solskjaer to Poch is much more seamless than Van Gaal to Jose.
It's not me being a smart ass. I just don't rate Poch as highly as some on here. His playing style is nothing special either IMHO. Look at Spurs this season. Shite footy. Look at how they got to the final of the CL last season. They beat Ajax and City but those teams footy was far easier on the eye. Don't act as if he's as good as Klopp or Pep. He's nowhere near that level.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Are people convinced on Poch? I dont know, 5.5 years in the job, with no silverware and a strong sense that the big occasions are bottled.
Inherited a great young set of players and brought them on well. Done a good, solid job at Spurs but has he really taken them beyond their potential? They look a 3rd/4th place team on paper and thats where they finish. Form in calendar tear 2019 is awful though so team seems to be in decline.

Not sure hes s fit for Madrid- they want natural winners. In a way hed be a good transitional manager for United. If he was in Oles seat Id be confident of a good ethos and rebuild, on which a more “winning” manager could then attack the big trophies

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It might be the natural end of a cycle thing. And a very good cycle it’s been to

fps

Some of Poch’s comments over the summer sounded like man who’s burned out. The comment about leaving if they won the CL was particularly telling. I’d be surprised if he’s anywhere next season. After a year off he’ll be back. Top managers can’t stay away for long.
Yes he seems exhausted and must feel re transfers that he's banging his head against a brick wall. Then again, he needs new signings to bed in and that takes time.

ash_86

I kind of like potch and would like us to go for him if Ole doesn't work out but this record is horrendous.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I've heard it on rally good authority that he genuinely felt he was getting the United job - as we had spoken to his reps in Dec-Jan-Feb..

He was stunned when Ole got the gig - and has been really down since.
I don't know what to believe TBH. He never really said anything and that makes me think he wanted it, then he made all the noises about the new stadium and.....I'm confused about his posture all the way through really

I kind of like potch and would like us to go for him if Ole doesn't work out but this record is horrendous.

He did make some curious decisions;dropping Moura etc. At times he looks like a good tactician and others he appears clueless. Don't know what's up with him.

Take Kane out of that side and they're pretty shit TBH

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Knowing the Glazers, Ole will still be here after two years of singing the Youth and passion anthem which will lead us nowhere. They will eventually get rid of him in his third year with minimised compensation.
In fairness to Malcolm and the gang, the buck stops with Woody on such matters and I know he'll make the brave decision of hiring a jobless Pochettino.

the chameleon

It's not me being a smart ass. I just don't rate Poch as highly as some on here. His playing style is nothing special either IMHO. Look at Spurs this season. Shite footy. Look at how they got to the final of the CL last season. They beat Ajax and City but those teams footy was far easier on the eye. Don't act as if he's as good as Klopp or Pep. He's nowhere near that level.
I completely get your point. But he's done wonders with the limited budget he's had. Klopp and Pep are of course at this point on a different level. We should have struck when Klopp was available instead of selling him the dream of Disneyland for adults. I believe Poch is the next best option. He had a team that peaked around 2015-17. They didn't buy anyone in 2017 too but he still managed to get to a European Cup Final. He made some mistakes, sure. Some bizarre decisions, but it seems like he's not really had the opportunities that Klopp and Pep have been allowed in the transfer market. In some ways he's built this Tottenham side on limited resources. He's not perfect, but he's definitely a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.