Is Pochettino's time at Spurs coming to an end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes35

Definitely feels like it's coming to an end. I would be surprised if he is manager come the first game of next season.

I like Poch (Like everybody does) but I also like Ole and believe he's doing a good job. I'd rather stick with Ole for now but if things go sour before the end of the season Poch should be the replacement.

TheRedHearted

If Levy wasn’t who he is and had the ownership ties to Tottenham would you take him as DOF? Clearly he’d be allowed to spend more here.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm with the "rut" team. When you look at the core of his team, they have been playing together for at least 4 or 5 years which is a very long time in football. They need to rejuvenate it, bring some enthusiasm and also bring a player or two that have done great things and can still offer something, a little bit like Pirlo with Juventus. He personally should probably leave and find a different project.

cyberman

:confused:

Lo Celso, Ndombele, Eriksen, Winks, Sissoko vs Pogba, McTominay, Matic, Fred, Pereira?

How is the latter better?
I think Pogba tips it in our favour. Lo Celso and Ndombele have done nothing for you so far while you, yourself, have been criticising Eriksens performances for a long time now.
I think Scott and Pogba starts in a combined midfield.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
:confused:

Lo Celso, Ndombele, Eriksen, Winks, Sissoko vs Pogba, McTominay, Matic, Fred, Pereira?

How is the latter better?
tbf thus far neither Lo Celso or NDombele have done anything in a Spurs shirt to rate their ability in the PL and as for the rest there really isn't much between Eriksen, Sissoko & Winks and Pogba, McTominay & Fred

Oldyella

I think the CL final broke them.
Yeah quite possibly. It's also about time now, it's his 5th year? Which is a decent run of time for managers in this age.

The team needed refreshing last year, they struggled through but performances were dipping and while they have spent this season it feels too late, the squad looks jaded.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The big question is: Who is in charge of transfers at Tottenham? Because that is the person we want. People give Poch credit for building a great squad with a shoestring budget and claim if he gets to a club with resources he will be great, but if it is Levy/someone else who scout and make those deals, should Poch really get credit for that?

Poch is no doubt a good coach, but if hes not the one that does the transfer buisness at Spurs, would you really trust him and Ed to do our rebuild?

norm87cro

Any comparison to Dortmund is an insult to Klopp who managed to win his domestic league. Poch won... Well nothing. He has the most stress free job in world football where being simply very good was enough. If he happens to go to Madrid it would be suicide for because he would be found out very fast and that would be it for him as a manager.

OverratedOpinion

Any comparison to Dortmund is an insult to Klopp who managed to win his domestic league. Poch won... Well nothing. He has the most stress free job in world football where being simply very good was enough. If he happens to go to Madrid it would be suicide for because he would be found out very fast and that would be it for him as a manager.
Found out as what?

He is an excellent manager going against the two best managers in the world who have better teams.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The big question is: Who is in charge of transfers at Tottenham? Because that is the person we want. People give Poch credit for building a great squad with a shoestring budget and claim if he gets to a club with resources he will be great, but if it is Levy/someone else who scout and make those deals, should Poch really get credit for that?

Poch is no doubt a good coach, but if hes not the one that does the transfer buisness at Spurs, would you really trust him and Ed to do our rebuild?
Good question, however their last major success transfer wise was Son in 2015. Spurs did some great business around that time (and the 2/3 years previously) which for some reason Poch gets all the credit for and the assumption seems to be that he'd repeat the trick elsewhere.

Since 2015 signings haven't been as good and prices are only going up, getting a Dele Alli for £5m or Alderweireld for £12m is rarer now even than it was then. Its a big problem for them to sustain what they've built their recent 'success' on.

Cman

Does Woodward have the skills yo be able to move ole upstairs to TD and make poch manager?!
Prob not I guess

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Nowhere have I said that Pochettino = completely unsuccessful. I have said that Pochettino is good manager (look at my posts). What I'm still pointing out how people can be so sure that he is better then Solskjaer to lead ManUtd. The truth is he has done lot of good things for Tottenham and taken then further. Moyes did lot for Everton and failed everywhere else. The truth is he still hasn't won anything. Now, some people think that Tottenham were crap before he came and that is not the case. Tottenham have, not to say always, but for a long time been a good (almost top) club. Just look at seasons before his arrival. 4-5-4-5-6. So Pochettino didn't start from nothing at Spurs.

Is Tottenham a big club or is it not? Big club and big managers should also be judged on trophies. Not just style of play. Don't get me wrong. He is good manager but if you want to be in the top you got to win something. And with the team Spurs have I really believe that he should have won at least a cup.

You are talking about Ole and what he has done in Norway (brilliant by the way if you know all details) and Cardiff but don't mention Pochettino getting sacked at Espanyol? Managers have learning curve. What happened in Cardiff (Poch in Espanyol) was just first stepping stone for both in senior football. Lets see now how Solskjaer does this year. And for now he is doing well with the team he have.

I was going to reply and all .. then I read the Moyes comparison and realised there is no point. None at all.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I think Pogba tips it in our favour. Lo Celso and Ndombele have done nothing for you so far while you, yourself, have been criticising Eriksens performances for a long time now.
I think Scott and Pogba starts in a combined midfield.
You're going purely off VERY current form. Our midfield may not be 'on it' but we clearly have better options to choose from than you do. Ndombele has done 'nothing' so far but has a goal and an assist in the league in 3 games from CM? He's not been great but he's clearly shown he has serious ability and would start for either team.

Only Pogba would start for us from your midfield. Most people outside of United would probably go for Winks over McTominay, and both clubs have played a 4-2-3-1 recently so if we're basing it purely on 'form' then Erik Lamela would start in attacking midfield.

acnumber9

Why does it remain to be seen whether a bloke who starts for Argentina and had a brilliant season in one of Europe's best leagues (including games where he ran the show against the likes of Madrid and Barca) is good or not? He's obviously a very gifted player, we committed 55 million to the signing so it's hardly a punt at some no name.

He might not settle at the club/in the league but I don't think it remains to be seen whether he's a good player. He's already proven that he's a very good footballer elsewhere, the Prem isn't the only place you can prove that.
Because Marcos Rojo has 60 caps for Argentina so I don’t place think playing for a National automatically makes you good enough. You could also use the same reasonings for Fred who, as you may have seen, hasn’t been very good.

Him proving anything elsewhere doesn’t really matter because him being able to play well in Spain doesn’t mean anything to the quality of Spurs midfield if he can’t do it in England. Has he not already flopped in France? I just think you should maybe watch him start more than three games before you start stating how good he is.

acnumber9

Yeah, we might be a bit better in Maguire,AWB and Pogba. Rest of your team will shit on us . Anyone arguing otherwise is just wumming.
Why doesn’t it do that on the pitch then? Since the beginning of the 17/18 season Spurs have accumulated one league point more than Man United and played one more game. And Utd have been so bad in one spell of that period that we had to sack our manager. Why is this vastly superior team of players not showing it? Why have they not shown this superiority for over two years?

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Debatable.

We haven't done it post Fergie so it hard to know what the owners would think.
I guess, but what do you think the mood would be like on here if we finished top four a few years in a row without winning anything? I reckon after one season, fine, beyond that, people would be after the manager's head.

LVG was effectively gone half way through his secnd season, after finishing 4th in his first. Mourinho won two trophies then finished second, yet by the time he went into his third year most fans wanted him out, and if you believe the media so did Woodward.

There isn't really anything to suggest any of the top six other than Spurs and Arsenal would settle for the job Pochettino has done...and Arsenal might settle for it but their fans certainly don't.

Expectation and investment at United will be different than Spurs.

Pochettino achieved those success with significant lower expenditure than other top six rivals. It is not rocket science to assume that with a larger investment in his squad, he will do better. Pep has the first billion dollar squad and look how successful he is. Poch doesn’t need that much investment, he just need what we have given most of our manager post sir Alex to achieve a better standings and result. I don’t know why some fans find that so hard to understand. Money = success.

When people also start talking about Poch recent run, Klopp in his last season had Dortmund near bottom. Yet Liverpool knew how talented he was and that investment paid of. United will be crazy to miss out on the next Klopp. We still have fans on here asking why we didn’t sign Klopp from Dortmund:lol:
See this argument doesn't really work. Lampard has spent nothing at Chelsea. Ole has significantly less net spend this summer than Pochettino...do you think the expectation on these two will be lower as a result? Do you think either would be in a job in 4 years time if they win nothing in that period?

It is not rocket science to assume something you have no evidence either way for, because it is just guess work. You are guessing that Pochettino would be a better manager if he spent more money. He's had a good enough squad to challenge for trophies for years now. He has spent quite a lot of money in the summer. Can you honestly say any of the signings they've made look like improvements?

Klopp isn't really comparable to Pochettino. He made Dortmund one of the best teams in the world and won two league titles and a cup with them despite having to compete with Bayern. He was a proven winner when Liverpool brought him in. You can see very obvious improvement from one year to the next from Liverpool under him. None of this can be applied to Pochettino.

Here in lies the problem with the Pochettino opinions on here though. People pinning their hats on him being the person to be succesful at United, then just ignoring anything that suggests he might not be. Things such as the fact we already have a manager who is currently doing better than him with arguably a weaker set of players. If we were currently without a manager I wouldn't be against giving Pochettino a chance, but we have a manager, and even if we didn't Pochettino already has a club.

He also finished 2nd. And he did all this on a budget similar to the likes of Stoke and less than teams like West Ham during a new stadium rebuild, after having to completely restructure the squad after the AVB disaster. Why are you judging a manager of a club with the resources of Spurs, by the same bar as clubs with the resources of United or Chelsea? And yes, getting to a CL final is an achievement .. of course it is, he did it with Spurs.

He got us top 4 last season and in to a CL final. This season we've started poorly and our away form is horrible, clearly not all is right at the club. Yet season by season he's achieved his objectives and I wouldn't be surprised if we still make top 4 again (ahead of Ole) despite the problems at the club. The fact is that Pochettino has probably been at Spurs a little too long and things have become a tad stale, especially due to lack of real investment over the years, and that's taking its toll. It would on any manager, do you think Klopp or Guardiola would be world class without all the investment? Guardiola finished behind Poch in the league with stars like Aguero, De Bruyne, Sterling etc .. he needed another couple of hundred mill to get where he is.

So you wanna judge Poch by the same standards as Klopp and Guardiola, even though he's had far less in terms of resources? How is that fair? If I think Howe is great, do I judge him by the same standards as Pochettino too? Context is always important, and the situation at Spurs for Poch hasn't always been at all easy, he's had nowhere near the backing the managers at top clubs get. Only this summer did we see any genuine investment and we're yet to see that on the pitch because it's early days and 2/3 of them have been injured.

Poch has done incredible work for us and took us to places nobody would have predicted (runners up in the prem, cl final, top 4 every single season etc) when he took charge of a club in a real state. If/when he goes he will be applauded by the fans for what he did for us, even if we think it's time to part ways, and if he goes to a club with real backing he will win trophies and be a success, of that I have zero doubt.
I am judging him by the same standards as I would judge any manager who people claim to be one of the best or think should manage a team like United. There are massive double standards on here with Pochettino. Lampard is managing Chelsea on a transfer budget of roughly -£90m. Ole has a net spend of what, £60m? to rebuild a mess of a squad. Do you think either of these will keep their job if their team is sitting in 11th place with a third of the season to go? If you are going by this line of argument then technically Eddie Howe is right up there and Guirdiola has proven nothing.

He has done a good job at Spurs, IF you think of Spurs as a team that are lucky to finish in the top four. If you think of them as a team in the same bracket as the other top six, which if you listen to the likes of Gladston is certainly what the ambition is, then he isn't doing such a great job. He's doing the same job that Wenger was doing at Arsenal, minus the FA cup wins...the job Wenger was doing which resulted in protests at games and calls for him to be sacked.

Getting to the Champions League final is only an achievement if you like nearly winning things, but not winning them. I've watched us lose two CL finals. I'm not sure I considered it an achievement. It was nice to get to them, I suppose. I've heard argument slike this cementing Tottenham as a big team, or being the cornerstone for them to build on. This is a load of nonsense. It didn't help Arsenal in 2007. It didn't help Monaco in 2004. It doesn't seem to be much help to Tottenham going by their performances this season.

It really baffles me when people use this investment or expectation argument in favour of Pochettino, when actually it's the double standards the other way that make the perception of him as some kind of managerial god on here so daft. He's done a decent job at Spurs. I'm not denying that. A very good job initially, but at the end of the day what he's done there doesn't prove he would be a good manager at a club where the expectation is to win things and be the best team.

The job he's doing at present isn't even good enough for Spurs, and that has been the case for nearly 10 months now. Yet it has not even made a dent in the unrelenting bollocks talked about him on here. What you have on here is a bunch of United fans who basically want our manager to be sacked so he can replaced with another manager who has done significantly worse during the same period of time, despite having a stronger squad. That's how blinded people seem to get by nonsense and presumptions.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Because Marcos Rojo has 60 caps for Argentina so I don’t place think playing for a National automatically makes you good enough. You could also use the same reasonings for Fred who, as you may have seen, hasn’t been very good.

Him proving anything elsewhere doesn’t really matter because him being able to play well in Spain doesn’t mean anything to the quality of Spurs midfield if he can’t do it in England. Has he not already flopped in France? I just think you should maybe watch him start more than three games before you start stating how good he is.
Rojo was decent when he was starting for Argentina. Fred was playing in Ukraine so was a far bigger risk than a player who was thriving in Spain.

He didn't flop in France, he was a guy in his early 20's who struggled at PSG after Di Maria arrived ffs. He then was one of the best midfielders in La Liga last season and was also excellent in the Europa League.

The talent he has is obvious, you don't need to play in England to show you have ability. He might well not adapt to the league but I'd still rather have him as an unknown quantity than Andreas Pereira, tbh.

OverratedOpinion

Not really - very good imo is an 8 - excellent is a 10. Ferguson was excellent, Klopp and Guardiola is excellent - Pochettino is at least 1 level below that.
I am honestly not going to get into breaking down adjectives but if you rate Klopp at the same level as Sir Alex then we strongly disagree. In fact if you think the difference between Pochettino and Klopp is more significant than the difference between Klopp and Sir Alex then I would disagree.

acnumber9

Rojo was decent when he was starting for Argentina. Fred was playing in Ukraine so was a far bigger risk than a player who was thriving in Spain.

He didn't flop in France, he was a guy in his early 20's who struggled at PSG after Di Maria arrived ffs. He then was one of the best midfielders in La Liga last season and was also excellent in the Europa League.

The talent he has is obvious, you don't need to play in England to show you have ability. He might well not adapt to the league but I'd still rather have him as an unknown quantity than Andreas Pereira, tbh.
Rojo was never decent. Unlike Lo Celso, Fred had been playing in the Champions League and supposedly played well. He also cost over 50m and played for Brazil so he must be good.

You watched him three times. You don’t actually know any of that.

lysglimt

Scout
What people always conveniently forget with Pochettino is that he took charge of a team with Lloris, Vertonghen, Kane, Eriksen, Lamela and Rose..
during his 5 years at Spurs - these are still more than half the core of the side. He added Alderweireld, Alli and Son which were excellent signings...Moura who with a bit more consistency could be and Dier. Sissoko isn't bad - but it took him 2 years to reach decent so I consider him a miss at the price. Sanchez might be good later - he isn't great now.

But the fact remains - in 5 years (until the end of 2018/2019) - there were next to no other really good signing from Pochettino. There has been a Fazio, a Stambouli, a N Jie, a Wimmer, a Jansen, a Wanyama, a N Koudou, a Llorente, a Foyth

So I agree - he hasn't used the same cash as the other big-clubs which makes a transfer more or a gamble because he has to find cheaper alternatives granted - but he has at least spent £130-140 million on players who just weren't good enough yet. Sanchez, Jansen, Sissoko alone were £100 million. That is not excellent in my book.

lysglimt

Scout
I am honestly not going to get into breaking down adjectives but if you rate Klopp at the same level as Sir Alex then we strongly disagree. In fact if you think the difference between Pochettino and Klopp is more significant than the difference between Klopp and Sir Alex then I would disagree.
I don't rate anyone close to Ferguson - we will never see a Ferguson. But I rate Klopp closer to Ferguson than to Pochettino - at least if he manages to beat City with his current Liverpool-side

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I am judging him by the same standards as I would judge any manager who people claim to be one of the best or think should manage a team like United. There are massive double standards on here with Pochettino. Lampard is managing Chelsea on a transfer budget of roughly -£90m. Ole has a net spend of what, £60m? to rebuild a mess of a squad. Do you think either of these will keep their job if their team is sitting in 11th place with a third of the season to go?

He has done a good job at Spurs, IF you think of Spurs as a team that are lucky to finish in the top four. If you think of them as a team in the same bracket as the other top six, which if you listen to the likes of Gladston is certainly what the ambition is, then he isn't doing such a great job. He's doing the same job that Wenger was doing at Arsenal, minus the FA cup wins...the job Wenger was doing which resulted in protests at games and calls for him to be sacked.

Getting to the Champions League final is only an achievement if you like nearly winning things, but not winning them. I've watched us lose two CL finals. I'm not sure I considered it an achievement. It was nice to get to them, I suppose. I've heard argument slike this cementing Tottenham as a big team, or being the cornerstone for them to build on. This is a load of nonsense. It didn't help Arsenal in 2007. It didn't help Monaco in 2004. It doesn't seem to be much help to Tottenham going by their performances this season.

It really baffles me when people use this investment or expectation argument in favour of Pochettino, when actually it's the double standards the other way that make the perception of him as some kind of managerial god on here so daft. He's done a decent job at Spurs. I'm not denying that. A very good job initially, but at the end of the day what he's done there doesn't prove he would be a good manager at a club where the expectation is to win things and be the best team.

The job he's doing at present isn't even good enough for Spurs, and that has been the case for nearly 10 months now. Yet it has not even made a dent in the unrelenting bollocks talked about him on here. What you have on here is a bunch of United fans who basically want our manager to be sacked so he can replaced with another manager who has done significantly worse during the same period of time, despite having a stronger squad. That's how blinded people seem to get by nonsense and presumptions.

Lampard could finish outside of the top six this season and will still get next season to manage the team, because the Chelsea board are aware of the circumstances in which he took over. Ole invested getting on for 150 mill in players and yes, he should be getting more time with United. Why are you talking about sitting in eleventh?

I like Glaston but why would you take him as a fair opinion on Spurs matters? We also have a far lower wage budget than Arsenal did under Wenger, we're still barely operating as a top six club in that respect which hurts us in terms of attracting talent. If you view Arsenal/Spurs as the same club then yeah sure, Pochettino is doing the same job as Wenger .. there were also very few protests or genuine calls for him to be sacked when he was getting top 4, those started getting serious when he finished outside of it.

Yes, you've watched Manchester United get to two CL finals. I feel like the mentality of some United fans is such that they can't entertain that other fans of clubs who are a fraction as successful might have different expectations and that for those clubs, a CL final is a far bigger achievement than it would be for you, with your colossal resources and reputation allowing you to attract world class players. Poch reached a CL final on a shoestring budget during austerity time for the club, and it's the best Spurs have done on the European stage in many of our fans lifetimes .. so yes, it was big for us.

It doesn't prove it, no. He could well flop at an elite club. I don't think so because I believe he's a superb coach, but there's no way anybody could say for certain. At a club with those expectations he'd get the budget to go with it. The bottom line is Pochettino took over a club who were behind Everton in the league and had a toxic squad filled with mercenaries, and then led us to top 4 pretty much every season, runners up in the Prem and to the biggest final in European football .. the job of a manager is to leave a club better than you found it, and we're far, far better than we were when he took over. He's done objectively a fantastic job.

His time has come at Spurs. I think this is something we'll see very commonly with managers going forward, the likes of Fergie or even Wenger are a thing of the past. Managers will come in to clubs and maximum stay for 5 years or so before the cycle is over and clubs look to go for something new. He hasn't had the investment he wants here so he's frustrated, I'm not happy with everything to do with Pochettino (and have criticised him plenty in the past) and anybody pretending he's the perfect manager is a fool, but his struggles recently don't make him a bad one either.

I also agree that if you want Ole sacked and replaced by Poch, you're being stupid. It would make United look like absolute cnuts to replace a club legend before even giving him any time to have an impact. I do think Ole has shown signs of being a promising manager, and if given time and money by the United board he could build something going forward, it just might take time and patience.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Rojo was never decent. Unlike Lo Celso, Fred had been playing in the Champions League and supposedly played well. He also cost over 50m and played for Brazil so he must be good.

You watched him three times. You don’t actually know any of that.
You're comparing the success of a player who proved himself in one of the top 3 leagues in the world to one who had a few good games in Europe.

Lo Celso was far better in Spain than Andreas Pereira was .. so that's probably a hint. Unless they play Aussie rules football in Spain or something.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

No, he was good when he played.

acnumber9

You're comparing the success of a player who proved himself in one of the top 3 leagues in the world to one who had a few good games in Europe.

Lo Celso was far better in Spain than Andreas Pereira was .. so that's probably a hint. Unless they play Aussie rules football in Spain or something.
You saw him play three times. You have no idea how good he actually was yourself.

I think Andreas Pereira is shit so no hint is required thanks. If being better than Pereira is the barometer of a good player then there’s a fecking lot of them around.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If he is not at Spurs next season, we should 100% be all over this

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You saw him play three times. You have no idea how good he actually was yourself.

I think Andreas Pereira is shit so no hint is required thanks. If being better than Pereira is the barometer of a good player then there’s a fecking lot of them around.
No, I don't. But I'm comfortable in saying that a player that was that good in Spain is probably a good player.

This is going nowhere anyway. We obviously have to wait and see if Lo Celso will do it in England, but regardless he's proven he's a talented player by what he did elsewhere. It's just about putting that form together with Spurs.

acnumber9

No, I don't. But I'm comfortable in saying that a player that was that good in Spain is probably a good player.

This is going nowhere anyway. We obviously have to wait and see if Lo Celso will do it in England, but regardless he's proven he's a talented player by what he did elsewhere. It's just about putting that form together with Spurs.
Indeed. So maybe wait before declaring him instantly better than others.

90 + 5min

I was going to reply and all .. then I read the Moyes comparison and realised there is no point. None at all.
You love to missunderstand don't you? I'm not comparing Moyes to Pochettino as a manager. I'm saying that Moyes did very well in Everton (with that team/budget). He even got them top 4. Nobody here saw him as a top class manager despite that. Then he tried his wings and failed everywere else. Domestic and abroad. Saying that, there is no guarantee that Pochettino to ManUtd would be better than Ole. Especially now.

If Pochettino had won something then fine. I understand. But the only thing he had done is to push Tottenham one step forward (Spurs were very good team before he came). From top 6 to top 4. Improvement? Yes. Good manager? Yes.

But I guess you can always blame some sentence you missunderstod to replay those other points.

Johan07

:lol: Like who? Mctominay? Pereira?

Your midfield options bar Pogba are hardly uber proven PL quality.
To be fair Spurs and our midfield have a lot in common.
We both have a "star player" that probably does not want to be at the club(s) anymore.
Both clubs also have quite a few unproven quantities in midfield.
I would be hard done by to have an opinion on which club´s midfield is stronger today.
But its fun to see the black/white opinions on here though.
IMO we should have gotten one proven CDM in this summer as well as one prospect, while shipping Pereira somewhere like Everton.
I dont know if Spurs did better though. Neither Ndombele or Lo Celso looks ready for the PL; at least not being dominant players.
I would also have an issue with the loan deal for Lo Celso; had he come to United. I hope we never do something similar. Does not really inspire confidence in the player.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You love to missunderstand don't you? I'm not comparing Moyes to Pochettino as a manager. I'm saying that Moyes did very well in Everton (with that team/budget). He even got them top 4. Nobody here saw him as a top class manager despite that. Then he tried his wings and failed everywere else. Domestic and abroad. Saying that, there is no guarantee that Pochettino to ManUtd would be better than Ole. Especially now.

If Pochettino had won something then fine. I understand. But the only thing he had done is to push Tottenham one step forward (Spurs were very good team before he came). From top 6 to top 4. Improvement? Yes. Good manager? Yes.

But I guess you can always blame some sentence you missunderstod to replay those other points.
No, you're just uttering misinformed twaddle and using shite examples to try and justify it .. so there's no point engaging with you.

What Moyes achieved with Everton (4th once .. didn't even get past preliminaries, lowest points tally ever for 4th I believe, shite football, multiple mid-table finishes) doesn't even remotely compare to what Pochettino has done. A blind fecking goat could see that and wouldn't try and make some shite lazy comparison, but obviously you went ahead and did it to try and prove some point.

The only relevant or fair thing in that entire post is the bold. No, there's no guarantee Poch would be better than Ole .. well done.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
To be fair Spurs and our midfield have a lot in common.
We both have a "star player" that probably does not want to be at the club(s) anymore.
Both clubs also have quite a few unproven quantities in midfield.
I would be hard done by to have an opinion on which club´s midfield is stronger today.
But its fun to see the black/white opinions on here though.
IMO we should have gotten one proven CDM in this summer as well as one prospect, while shipping Pereira somewhere like Everton.
I dont know if Spurs did better though. Neither Ndombele or Lo Celso looks ready for the PL; at least not being dominant players.
I would also have an issue with the loan deal for Lo Celso; had he come to United. I hope we never do something similar. Does not really inspire confidence in the player.

Yeah, but I'd rather have our unproven quantities tbh. Ndombele has shown pretty good things thus far (only poor game came against Olympiakos) .. Lo Celso has been injured so we'll see.

Why does Ndombele 'not look ready for the PL?'. He's had 3 games here, scored once and assisted once. He's adapting to the league and the team and already looks to have obvious quality. How would Lo Celso not be ready yet when he's stepped foot on the pitch in the league for about 10 minutes?

We did the 'loan deal' for Lo Celso because the idea was that it stopped PSG getting a certain cut of the deal, so probably lowered the price on Betis' end. That's all.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why?? Poch has been crap for ten months - and with that squad!! Greener grass is often a septic tank issue....
He hasn't been crap for 10 months. Within that period he took Spurs to a UCL final

However the main reason is where he has taken Spurs too from where they were on a shoe string budget. He has done an excellent job and anyone without bias can see all is not rosey at Spurs however Poch isn't the main issue. I'd be looking at Levy

By your logic Liverpool should have stayed well clear of Klopp considering what happened before he left Dortmund

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I guess, but what do you think the mood would be like on here if we finished top four a few years in a row without winning anything? I reckon after one season, fine, beyond that, people would be after the manager's head.

LVG was effectively gone half way through his secnd season, after finishing 4th in his first. Mourinho won two trophies then finished second, yet by the time he went into his third year most fans wanted him out, and if you believe the media so did Woodward.

There isn't really anything to suggest any of the top six other than Spurs and Arsenal would settle for the job Pochettino has done...and Arsenal might settle for it but their fans certainly don't.

See this argument doesn't really work. Lampard has spent nothing at Chelsea. Ole has significantly less net spend this summer than Pochettino...do you think the expectation on these two will be lower as a result? Do you think either would be in a job in 4 years time if they win nothing in that period?

It is not rocket science to assume something you have no evidence either way for, because it is just guess work. You are guessing that Pochettino would be a better manager if he spent more money. He's had a good enough squad to challenge for trophies for years now. He has spent quite a lot of money in the summer. Can you honestly say any of the signings they've made look like improvements?

Klopp isn't really comparable to Pochettino. He made Dortmund one of the best teams in the world and won two league titles and a cup with them despite having to compete with Bayern. He was a proven winner when Liverpool brought him in. You can see very obvious improvement from one year to the next from Liverpool under him. None of this can be applied to Pochettino.

Here in lies the problem with the Pochettino opinions on here though. People pinning their hats on him being the person to be succesful at United, then just ignoring anything that suggests he might not be. Things such as the fact we already have a manager who is currently doing better than him with arguably a weaker set of players. If we were currently without a manager I wouldn't be against giving Pochettino a chance, but we have a manager, and even if we didn't Pochettino already has a club.

I am judging him by the same standards as I would judge any manager who people claim to be one of the best or think should manage a team like United. There are massive double standards on here with Pochettino. Lampard is managing Chelsea on a transfer budget of roughly -£90m. Ole has a net spend of what, £60m? to rebuild a mess of a squad. Do you think either of these will keep their job if their team is sitting in 11th place with a third of the season to go? If you are going by this line of argument then technically Eddie Howe is right up there and Guirdiola has proven nothing.

Top post.

Status
Not open for further replies.