Is Pochettino's time at Spurs coming to an end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RU Devil

If available, I wonder if Ole would be willing to get kicked upstairs (i.e. DoF) to let United sign Poch. It's not a situation I wouldn't mind, as OGS seems the type to think long term for the team. The current moves behind the scenes shows a long term vision, and Ole probably knows his managerial strengths & weaknesses.

Whether Poch is really as good as it seems, this season will be a good measure as it all seems to have gone stale. Can he get enough out of a team that 'may' be losing a bit of the unity & impetus that should have resulted in a few trophies? That he's needs to address players about forgetting about not moving on is rather problematic and could lead to some unwanted transfers. Team is good enough to get Top 4 but will take a great managerial effort to get there (assuming other teams don't bottle it).

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Bringing on Wanyama was the best sign yet that he's fecking done with the team.

fergiesarmy1

If available, I wonder if Ole would be willing to get kicked upstairs (i.e. DoF) to let United sign Poch. It's not a situation I wouldn't mind, as OGS seems the type to think long term for the team. The current moves behind the scenes shows a long term vision, and Ole probably knows his managerial strengths & weaknesses.

Whether Poch is really as good as it seems, this season will be a good measure as it all seems to have gone stale. Can he get enough out of a team that 'may' be losing a bit of the unity & impetus that should have resulted in a few trophies? That he's needs to address players about forgetting about not moving on is rather problematic and could lead to some unwanted transfers. Team is good enough to get Top 4 but will take a great managerial effort to get there (assuming other teams don't bottle it).
If Ole considered the question then he shouldn’t be the manager in fact he should quit if asked the question.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
:lol: Lets ignore beating Bayern to their leagues and cups....He lost the final and poch did what?...... I am not even Klopp's biggest fan but you're deluding yourself if you think poch is anywhere near Dortmund Klopp forget about pool.

Came third in a 2 horse race in which Leicester fecking city won the league but its ok....Leicester spent billions..right?
We will have to see. Poch has yet to be backed.

His summer spent was around what Liverpool or United spent on one player these days.

90 + 5min

Because he has a great record in the PL. Judging by trophies alone is an absurd method. Chris Wilder = Poch too then?
He has about 58-59% win ratio in PL for Tottenham and about 30% with Southampton. Not bad att all. But. To the most important. What can he show for that, having good record? He has not won anything while having great squad of players. Not even a cup.

Just look at both of their managerial histories and go from there.
And still, what has Poch won? Nothing. Nowhere. I'm not saying that he is bad manager. He got his team playing good football but still. Nothing to show for it. If Solskjaer is in England as many years as Poch I believe that he would at least won some trophy. Even if it means one little cup.

Not that it is world greatest league but Solskjaer has won league titles.

hobbers

What is it like 19 points from the last 18 Prem games?

Maybe he thinks there's a better chance of Levy firing him than agreeing to any approaches for him.

For comparison we've had 23 points from the last 17, which is obviously sack worthy ignoring any other considerations.

AJ10

He has about 58-59% win ratio in PL. Not bad att all. But. To the most important. What can he show for that, having good record? He has not won anything while having great squad of players. Not even a cup.

Ssshhh they build egos.

fergiesarmy1

Ole is doing a good job? Where?
If you take your blinkers off you could see we could be 3rd tomorrow behind shockingly the 2 teams that both nearly crushed 100 points last season so it’s not too bad (while his superstar player is phoning in sick)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hmm, plenty do, especially when riling Spurs fans and Amadeus!

It's certainly a concern that he hasn't at least won something with Spurs yet but he is still young in managerial terms, and he's gotten very close on numerous occasions. I don't think it's unrealistic to say he'll make that final step up sooner or later.
He probably will. He’s a good manager who I’m sure will have a long and distinguished career. But the poster I was responding to made him out to be some rare, mercurial talent. You look at the players he has at his disposal and then at the results he’s achieved with those players, and it’s far from incredible. When you also add in snippets like the amount of losses he incurred last season, or that he’s gone about 9 months without an away win in the league, it’s clear there are some genuine concerns he needs to address.

Last edited:

Tarrou

He has about 58-59% win ratio in PL. Not bad att all. But. To the most important. What can he show for that, having good record? He has not won anything while having great squad of players. Not even a cup.

And still, what has Poch won? Nothing. Nowhere. I'm not saying that he is bad manager. He got his team playing good football but still. Nothing to show for it. If Solskjaer is in England as many years as Poch I believe that he would at least won some trophy. Even if it means one little cup.

If you want to claim Ole is better because he won titles in Norway fair enough - I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one

Ace of Spades

Thanks for your contribution!!

Whenever you're ready answer your question.
I know I am contributing more than you, you don't have to thank me for that.

Also, you still have not answered my question. First find that answer, though it may be difficult for you, but try to find it. If you can't, then at least stop embarassing yourself, you are not contributing anything much.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't really blame Pochettino for no trophies at Spurs.

I have always said that good managers get teams in positions to win things but it's the mentality and nerve of the players/culture of the club that makes that final push (case in point Sarri not winning at trophy at Napoli but doing so at Chelsea, he got both in positions to win but only one made that crucial last step).

Give Pochettino United, Chelsea, Real or even Arsenal and he won't go trophy less that I am certain.

thegregster

Back to excuses.
It not excuses. It just facts.

What did Sarri every win before he went to Chelsea?

What chance has Ancelotti at Napoli? FFS it would be insane to expect him to win Seria A with the resources he has.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
League form this year:
Played 24
Won 9
Drawn 4
Lost 11
Points 31

That would have them finishing about 14th by my reckoning, and is over two thirds of a season.

Pochettino is the manager so it comes down on him regardless of how you want to spin it. He's doing a job there that would have him on the verge of the sack at any of the other top six...and that's if he was lucky enough not to have been sacked already.

The CL final has papered over a lot of issues.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
A couple of very good points.

Utd have won three trophies since Fergie left, spurs presumably have won zero?

I do wonder how much input he has over transfers, it doesn’t sound like he has much, so he wouldn’t bring that to Utd.

He certainty seems to get given a free pass over the lack of trophies. It’s a big weakness.

For both of those reasons I would NOT swap him for OGS. If there was a vacancy at OT, it would be a different matter.

He’s clearly done a good job at spurs - but if he goes after 5 years and didn’t win a single trophy, surely that’s a big failure?
It’s a point that often gets overlooked. Levy seems to have far more control over transfers than what Poch does, but the whole of the praise is usually given to Poch. The shrewd business Spurs have done over the years is a mark of Levy’s tenure at the club.

You’ve got to ask: if we had Spurs’ squad over the last few seasons, would we not be asking for more than scraping into top 4 and one fortuitous run to the CL final? Poch seems to be a manager defined by his budget, rather that what he’s actually achieved with a very talented group of players.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He has about 58-59% win ratio in PL for Tottenham and about 30% with Southampton. Not bad att all. But. To the most important. What can he show for that, having good record? He has not won anything while having great squad of players. Not even a cup.

You are basing it on it's and buts yet asking for facts as to why Poch is the better manager? He has clearly achieved more in his career than Ole. It's madness to suggest otherwise.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
For a club with Spurs' level of ambition, getting to a CL final was a gift from footballing gods, finishing top 4 is basically finishing as champions and finishing top 6 is a war well fought. There will never be a downward hills when there are no hills to climb in the first place.

Bite, bite, bite.

Mainoldo

If you take your blinkers off you could see we could be 3rd tomorrow behind shockingly the 2 teams that both nearly crushed 100 points last season so it’s not too bad (while his superstar player is phoning in sick)
We talking about Pogba again?:boring:. Back to the first point. You confident we will win tomorrow? Knowing us we know how it will go.

humdinger

Spurs won’t sack him. He’s worked miracles for them plus he’s too valuable an asset to let go for free. Levy would rather keep hold of him and wait for us or Real to pay a fortune to buy him out.

AJ10

It not excuses. It just facts.

What did Sarri every win before he went to Chelsea?

What chance has Ancelotti at Napoli? FFS it would be insane to expect him to win Seria A with the resources he has.
Given the players he has, its excuses. No one is expecting him to win the league but Leicester did it with less money/less quality players than Poch has (So called "great" manager should be able to win a cup with the players he has).... as i said came third in a 2 horse race..... Forget the league, not even one cup.

As I said deluded if anyone things he's anywhere near Klopp, people pretend as if he hasn't had brilliant players in his team.

OleGunnar20

If he was doing a bad job it would be worth considering but so far He has cleared out players everyone on here wanted us to get rid of, the players he has brought in have been our best 3 players so shows promise for further recruitment and above all we could be 3rd in the table tomorrow and some would argue should have a few more points on the board.
Agree with this.

I was all for bringing in Klopp at LVGs expense. He was the perfect fit for us, whereas it was obvious by then that LVG was never going to work out.

Ole's situation is very different. Okay he hasn't exactly worked miracles, but he's brought back a bit of positivity to the club, moved on a large swathe of long-term underperformers and bought three great players. The signs for me point towards cautious optimism there and I'd like him to be given time to continue rebuilding our teams foundation.

Having said that I'm sure Poch would do well. But I couldn't see him staying for much more than 5 years in any case. If Ole cracks this and proves he can transition a team over the long-term I've no doubt he'd be with us for life. That's worth something in my book.

fergiesarmy1

We talking about Pogba again?:boring:. Back to the first point. You confident we will win tomorrow? Knowing us we know how it will go.
Not confident but wouldn’t surprise me, we do seem to win more games without he who shall not be named :D

Skills

Snitch
Agree with this.

I was all for bringing in Klopp at LVGs expense. He was the perfect fit for us, whereas it was obvious by then that LVG was never going to work out.

Ole's situation is very different. Okay he hasn't exactly worked miracles, but he's brought back a bit of positivity to the club, moved on a large swathe of long-term underperformers and bought three great players. The signs for me point towards cautious optimism there and I'd like him to be given time to continue rebuilding our teams foundation.

Having said that I'm sure Poch would do well. But I couldn't see him staying for much more than 5 years in any case. If Ole cracks this and proves he can transition a team over the long-term I've no doubt he'd be with us for life. That's worth something in my book.
This is the disease that's infected the club and it's fanbase.

90 + 5min

If you want to claim Ole is better because he won titles in Norway fair enough - I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one
No, I've never said that Ole is better or worse. Just pointing out that Ole has at least titles. While Poch despite playing good football has nothing to show for it. It's like Arsene Wenger last couple of years for Arsenal. Playing nice football overall but when it matters they just... lose. Maybe he is just unlucky and maybe he would do better in a "bigger" club. We don't know.

Would I want Poch to replace Ole now? No. Not at this moment because I think that Ole is doing a good job getting team back to basics.

thegregster

Given the players he has, its excuses. No one is expecting him to win the league but Leicester did it with less money/less quality players than Poch has (So called "great" manager should be able to win a cup with the players he has).... as i said came third in a 2 horse race..... Forget the league, not even one cup.

As I said deluded if anyone things he's anywhere near Klopp, people pretend as if he hasn't had brilliant players in his team.
How come he was able to finish ahead of Klopp for four seasons in a row?

Then Klopp went out and spent 280mil.

Tarrou

No, I've never said that Ole is better or worse. Just pointing out that Ole has at least titles. While Poch despite playing good football has nothing to show for it. It's like Arsene Wenger last couple of years for Arsenal. Playing nice football overall but when it matters they just... lose. Maybe he is just unlucky and maybe he would do better in a "bigger" club. We don't know.

Would I want Poch to replace Ole now? No. Not at this moment because I think that Ole is doing a good job getting team back to basics.
Me too, but most would I reckon. In fact I'm pretty sure someone will start a thread about it soon.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Who cares? Manchester United isn't someone's pet project. The idea that you should only look to upgrade someone, if they're doing a bad job is moronic.
Yeah thats never as simple as "just upgrade". You need continuity if you want to get somewhere. Replacing managers on the daily does not accomplish that.

fergiesarmy1

Agree with this.

I’m sure some would love the 8-0 soulless win city had today with no homegrown players and all expensive foreign purchases scoring all the goals but that’s not for me.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah thats never as simple as "just upgrade". You need continuity if you want to get somewhere. Replacing managers on the daily does not accomplish that.
The most successful club in the history of club football disagrees.

You need the right manager for the right time to be successful.

OleGunnar20

This is the disease that's infected the club and it's fanbase.
Call me a romantic but I disagree. Of course we can't expect that, but it has to factor into the equation.

We need a better structure outside of the manager to take the onus off this being a necessity, but it's not a negative to have a bit of longevity & stability at the club.

Mainoldo

I know I am contributing more than you, you don't have to thank me for that.

Also, you still have not answered my question. First find that answer, though it may be difficult for you, but try to find it. If you can't, then at least stop embarassing yourself, you are not contributing anything much.
You speak to your Dad like this?

I don't know what's got you in a hump. But i don't care.. so pour yourself a brandy and coke and go banter with someone else, unless you want to discuss Poch and Ole.

OleGunnar20

I’m sure some would love the 8-0 soulless win city had today with no homegrown players and all expensive foreign purchases scoring all the goals but that’s not for me.
Ditto, and a big reason Ive supported this club all of my life. Football has to be about more than the black and white surely, or isn't it all just a bit hollow?

alexthelion

You are basing it on it's and buts yet asking for facts as to why Poch is the better manager? He has clearly achieved more in his career than Ole. It's madness to suggest otherwise.
What exactly has he achieved that's better than Ole?

AJ10

How come he was able to finish ahead of Klopp for four seasons in a row?

Then Klopp went out and spent 280mil.
Ah yes lets ignore points about winning even a tiny cup with the quality players he has.... sure I don't mind you going in a different direct as its clear you have nothing to add there other than excuses.

Did you see pools squad when kloop tookover? :lol: ...not surprised spurs finish higher since spurs had a much better 11......Lets ignore Poch already had good players at spurs....I am sure he's never had any, right?....make excuses about not spending but ignore the fact that poch actually inherited/bought some really good players.

Level of delusion is strong with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.