Is Pochettino's time at Spurs coming to an end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. StrangeHate

If we keep our current form, Ole would be gone by Christmas. This would be our chance to get Poch. I would prefer Tuchel but Poch would be the next best option.
I hope Ole turns it around but unfortunately we have seen this movie before.

sugar_kane

If we keep our current form, Ole would be gone by Christmas. This would be our chance to get Poch. I would prefer Tuchel but Poch would be the next best option.
I hope Ole turns it around but unfortunately we have seen this movie before.
You mean the one where we hire a manager just after he’s had a complete meltdown at his previous club?

No, wait, that’s unfair. Mourinho had actually won stuff.

Dr. StrangeHate

You mean the one where we hire a manager just after he’s had a complete meltdown at his previous club?

No, wait, that’s unfair. Mourinho had actually won stuff.
Liverpool did the same with Klopp. Sometimes you just need a new challenge. This is true in all walks of life.

Aouer-United

This is one of the reasons why Klopp, Jose, Pep and Poch can never be SAF and will never match SAF's longevity in football career at the club. Klopp had a meltdown at the end of his season at the Dortmund and couldn't keep them very motivated and mentally stronger, it is same as Poch, Jose had more like this. Pep just couldn't keep Barca motivated and no longer had the strength.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think it's nearly over now - I'd say if we dont win our next few matches he will be gone.
Im not sure how much weight will be put on the cup game vs Colchester. Spurs have always dismissed the cups as irrelevant under Pochettino.

Look at that team. Long term injury players just coming back to fitness, Alli, Davies, Dier. Who the hell is Parrot, Tanganga? Wanyama is still at Spurs? Thought they got rid ages ago because he was perma injured. Skipp, KWP academy players who I have see in games at some point. And of course Moura, the only first teamer to start?

League form is where Poch is walking a thin line, loss to Newcastle at home. Been unable to see games out, thrown away leads. A few more Newcastle results and Levy might pull the trigger or Poch might walk.

Who would Spurs get as a replacement though?

R'hllor

Something must have happened behind the scenes, every team can hit a rough patch but there is some weird vibe about it.

always_hoping

He's worked wonders at Spurs. Severley over achieved. Top manager.
Not sure about working wonders? have to consider his squad is top 4 at least but they only just finished 4th last season because other challengers Arsenal,United messed up badly. Over achieving would be challenging for the title each season under him and winning cups, Poch hasn't done either with Spurs.

A stat i just seen on Sky.

Most defeats in 2019 (premier league clubs)

Tottenham 15
Brighton 14
Watford 13
Bournemouth 12

Based Adnan

He's burnt out with that squad and Tottenham in general. Reeks of Klopp at Dortmund. Wherever he goes next he'll be a success.

Irrational.

They kept too many players in the last year of their contracts.

Didn’t Potch get rid of Walker because he didn’t want to be there? Yet he’s got three players that most likely don’t want to be there too currently. As great a job as he’s done, I think a change would be best for both parties.
This is exactly the problem and the fault rests with that stingy bastard Levy. He will try his best to dig his fingernails into the players no matter how much they want to leave or refuse contracts. It can create instability within a club and a toxic atmosphere. Players start playing without any motivation and cook up some rigid, stale stuff. If they'd times their player sales right they could've made another £120million or so from Eriksen and Alderweireld this summer and invested it back into the squad.

Players overstaying their welcome is the same issue that we have too.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Im not sure how much weight will be put on the cup game vs Colchester. Spurs have always dismissed the cups as irrelevant under Pochettino.

Look at that team. Long term injury players just coming back to fitness, Alli, Davies, Dier. Who the hell is Parrot, Tanganga? Wanyama is still at Spurs? Thought they got rid ages ago because he was perma injured. Skipp, KWP academy players who I have see in games at some point. And of course Moura, the only first teamer to start?

League form is where Poch is walking a thin line, loss to Newcastle at home. Been unable to see games out, thrown away leads. A few more Newcastle results and Levy might pull the trigger or Poch might walk.

No idea who we would get. It's a pretty worrying time.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Still very unsure about him. His financial resources don't change the firepower he has had, and that's been plenty with Kane, Son, Moura, Alli, Eriksen, plus a decent pair of CBs. To match that alone we'll need to spend a good whack.

Guy Incognito

Howe? Sherwood?

Think poch will walk, no way will Levy sack him unless there is some big disagreement.

Bojan11

Still very unsure about him. His financial resources don't change the firepower he has had, and that's been plenty with Kane, Son, Moura, Alli, Eriksen, plus a decent pair of CBs. To match that alone we'll need to spend a good whack.
And let’s be honest most of those players are big names because of Potch. Kane was a nobody. Moura was just a bench player for PSG whose career was fading away. Son might have improved regardless of who signed him. Alli improved because of Potch. Eriksen didn’t do too much at Spurs before Potch arrived. Then you have Verthonghen who was a error prone centre back before Potch arrived.

Potch improved most of those players. Our managers seem to somehow make players worse.

Not sure about working wonders? have to consider his squad is top 4 at least but they only just finished 4th last season because other challengers Arsenal,United messed up badly. Over achieving would be challenging for the title each season under him and winning cups, Poch hasn't done either with Spurs.

A stat i just seen on Sky.

Most defeats in 2019 (premier league clubs)

Tottenham 15
Brighton 14
Watford 13
Bournemouth 12
Yes he’s worked wonders - he turned Spurs into a consistent top 4 team over the past 5 years. 1 bad seasons doesn’t change all the good work he’s done.

Number4.

Players and Manager burned out - he is clearly intense and it's taken it's toll, to manage in such an intense way, the squad needs constant evolution to cope with it. Spurs the exact opposite, same players, same voices same drills day after day.

Eddie howe makes sense as levy will want to the avoid the controversy Rafa Benitez or Jose would bring. I think Benitez would do an incredible job there.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
And let’s be honest most of those players are big names because of Potch. Kane was a nobody. Moura was just a bench player for PSG whose career was fading away. Son might have improved regardless of who signed him. Alli improved because of Potch. Eriksen didn’t do too much at Spurs before Potch arrived. Then you have Verthonghen who was a error prone centre back before Potch arrived.

Potch improved most of those players. Our managers seem to somehow make players worse.
Yeah potentially. I'm not convinced he's made them so good by himself, but we could certainly do with some of that here. Ok I'll take him.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yes he’s worked wonders - he turned Spurs into a consistent top 4 team over the past 5 years. 1 bad seasons doesn’t change all the good work he’s done.
The revisionism is always insane when a manager does poorly.

Took us from 6th (behind Everton!!!) to top 4 every season aside from his first, 86 points in 16/17 which was the best Spurs team I've ever seen put together and got us to a Champions League final. All with the spending power of less than a mid table team. He's completely smashed all reasonable expectations we had when he took charge and will be leaving the club in a FAR better state than he found it. The lack of trophies is disappointing and a mark against him, but overall he's been hugely successful here and is a Spurs legend as far as I'm concerned.

Fantastic manager, great bloke and I still have a lingering hope he turns it round at the club. I'm torn between 'we need to do what is best for the club' and believing he deserves the faith of giving him the season to sort it out, I do not want to see him be forced out of the club.

Judas

Open to offers
Obviously I’d take him over Ole, every sane person would, having said that the fact that he’s somehow avoided winning a single trophy with Spurs does worry me a bit. It’s not as if we’re full of a winning mentality as it is these days.

I’d obviously take him given the chance though.

alexthelion

He's worked wonders at Spurs. Severley over achieved. Top manager.
Hardly worked wonders. Started with a good team and it's now even better. Won diddly squat with the (by far) third best squad in the league.

Severely overrated.

Suedesi

Poch is a great coach. If (and that's a big if) he's sacked, I'd let Ole finish the season and hire Poch next year after a long sabbatical. Win-win.

Jimmy_Bond

Mourinho...come on, he's the new Sam Allardyce of sorts.
What planet are you living on?

I guarantee Mourinho's next job will be a huge club, and he'll win major trophies.

He'd be a hell of a coup for Spurs, although the Chelsea links would mean he's up against it from day one.

USREDEVIL

What planet are you living on?

I guarantee Mourinho's next job will be a huge club, and he'll win major trophies.

He'd be a hell of a coup for Spurs, although the Chelsea links would mean he's up against it from day one.
I think we've a temporal, and not geographical separation between us. I'm in 2019, you?

Reactions: SteveJ

always_hoping

Let's not overplay what he was done with spurs.

In his five seasons with spurs they have got on average 74 points per season. The three season before he arrived spurs got on average 70 points per season.

In summary a slight improvement with a better squad than spurs had before he became manager.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he’s sacked then let him take a break before going to a new club. Good for any manager or anyone to take a break first.

Honestly, I’ll be in shocked if he’s sacked any sooner. But then again, Mourinho is free right now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Spurs won’t sack him. Zero chance unless they massively collapse and free fall down the table. Unlikely.

Only chance he goes is if he doesn’t see a better future at spurs and has the chance to manage Madrid or Barca etc

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If Poch leaves Spurs will raid Southampton again.This time for Hasenhüttl.

Skills

Snitch
Spurs won’t sack him. Zero chance unless they massively collapse and free fall down the table. Unlikely.

Only chance he goes is if he doesn’t see a better future at spurs and has the chance to manage Madrid or Barca etc
I can see levy just holding onto him just for the sake of some compensation

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Still waiting for someone to present some fact why Poch is better manager? I'm not saying that he is or not. I just want to see how someone could come to that knowing that Poch has won absolutly 0 as a manager. And you can argue that he has a team that at least should have won some silverwere.
Is this post actually for real, or are you fishing?

One manager developed Tottenham into the third best team in England, by supplanting three bigger sides (including their two main rivals) Arsenal, Chelsea and United. He also took them to the CL final. He has a history of developing youngsters and turning them in to very good players.

The other got sacked by Cardiff.

Edit: I've noticed you've brought up the argument that he hasn't won anything in later posts. Tell me what you realistically expect Tottenham to have won in this league that is absolutely dominated by two sides? Do you think he should have won the CL?

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think they have a team there that suits Mourinho. Have that superb target man, great wide forwards, experienced backline. Maybe just a midfielder short from having a Jose-like team.

They could do a lot lot worse than getting him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.