Is Pogba as good as gone?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pogba wasn't that great at the WC, its a misguided opinion that Pogba was class.

His place in the team was under question and bar the goal in the final he wasn't great.

Pogba also displayed horrendous form under Mourinho, so your argument fails. Ole hasn't made Pogba play bad, neither did Jose. He just doesn't apply his talents properly.

Maddison plays in a better team unit I agree, Maddison also plays with creative freedom and influences games in a way Pogba doesnt
Pogba's place wasn't under question and he was good during the entire competition.

Alabaster Codify7

Its a bit of both for me with Pogba. He isn't world class but once he leaves and joins a proper big club in the CL with an actually half-decent midfield, he'll start looking very good again and will win major honours.

SambaBoy

The ankle injury seems a bit suspect. Never hear much news on it.

Seemed to start off as a knock and has progressed into a long term injury. Not sure where his future lies, but I can't see him wanting to stay and us forcing him to stay.

passing-wind

Its a bit of both for me with Pogba. He isn't world class but once he leaves and joins a proper big club in the CL with an actually half-decent midfield, he'll start looking very good again and will win major honours.
/ a good coach. If like Ole this season and Mourinho you use Pogba in a double pivot midfield you'll get below par performances. If he's further up the pitch as a 10 or in a advanced 8 in a midfield three you'll get consistency. If your slagging Paul off remind me again how Solskjaer is still here without his influence during our winning run....

Ban

/ a good coach. If like Ole this season and Mourinho you use Pogba in a double pivot midfield you'll get below par performances. If he's further up the pitch as a 10 or in a advanced 8 in a midfield three you'll get consistency. If your slagging Paul off remind me again how Solskjaer is still here without his influence during our winning run....
He faded after that run just like the rest. As the position part I've heard that about 100 times already. Whatever position he plays there's always oh but he'd be better in that and that position.

JPRouve

Scout
I love Ole, but this "like a new signing" shite is embarrassing. :houllier:
You are easily embarrassed. He simply means that in the context of this season, Pogba will be like a new signing because he hasn't really been able to influence our season yet. Marotta made the exact same comment about Sanchez.

DoomSlayer

You are easily embarrassed. He simply means that in the context of this season, Pogba will be like a new signing because he hasn't really been able to influence our season yet. Marotta made the exact same comment about Sanchez.
It's embarrassing for Ole to say it and for the club, bearing in mind that the January transfer window is right around the corner. It will be an excuse used to explain why we don't sign anyone when we are in dire need of midfielders.

I also couldn't care less what Marotta has said, it has no relevance to Manchester United and I bet Inter fans don't appreciate those sort of comments either.

JPRouve

Scout
It's embarrassing for Ole to say it and for the club, bearing in mind that the January transfer window is right around the corner. It will be an excuse used to explain why we don't sign anyone when we are in dire need of midfielders.

I also couldn't care less what Marotta has said, it has no relevance to Manchester United and I bet Inter fans don't appreciate those sort of comments either.
It's a commonly used expression, there is nothing embarrassing about it outside of you working yourself for nothing.

DoomSlayer

It's a commonly used expression, there is nothing embarrassing about it outside of you working yourself for nothing.
More like it's a common joke on the internet, whenever a player is back from a longer injury at our club, people take the piss saying this expression.

Bailly would be like a new signing, Shaw would be like a new signing, Fosu Mensah would be like a new signing. When Rojo is eventually back, he will be like a new signing as well, until he gets his customary injury again.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah and usually it's a phrase used to make fun whenever we don't sign players but in this case, it's a valid one to use as positive one. Pogba was injured and barely played this season, so it's like new addition to the team.

“Nobody can doubt his professionalism, his willingness or desire to play football. He’s a footballer and one of the best midfielders in the world. It will be like a new signing of a player before the window opens.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Solskjær: “Nobody can doubt his professionalism, his willingness or desire to play football. He’s a footballer and one of the best midfielders in the world. It will be like a new signing of a player before the window opens."
This part will burn a hole in the soul of many haters.

JPRouve

Scout
More like it's a common joke on the internet, whenever a player is back from a longer injury at our club, people take the piss saying this expression.

Bailly would be like a new signing, Shaw would be like a new signing, Fosu Mensah would be like a new signing. When Rojo is eventually back, he will be like a new signing as well, until he gets his customary injury again.
The world exists beyond the caf, he used a fairly common expression and used it appropriately, there is nothing embarrassing about it outside of someone being stuck in memes.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This part will burn a hole in the soul of many haters.
As if they care what anyone says, they have already made up their minds and there is no way they are going to change that. They might even watch live streaming of Pogba's operation, they would still say "it's all staged"

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Pogba wasn't that great at the WC, its a misguided opinion that Pogba was class.

His place in the team was under question and bar the goal in the final he wasn't great.

Pogba also displayed horrendous form under Mourinho, so your argument fails. Ole hasn't made Pogba play bad, neither did Jose. He just doesn't apply his talents properly.

Maddison plays in a better team unit I agree, Maddison also plays with creative freedom and influences games in a way Pogba doesnt
I see JP already responded on the bolded part, but you really couldn't be more wrong.

DoomSlayer

The world exists beyond the caf, he used a fairly common expression and used it appropriately, there is nothing embarrassing about it outside of someone being stuck in memes.
I just find it an extremely unnecessary thing to say, Ole could have made his positive statement about Pogba without that part, which makes it look like a total joke.

Anyway, I expect Pogba to be rusty and not match fit for 2-3 more weeks. The problem is people will want him to perform straight away and the vitriol will come back in full force when it shows he lacks game time and isn't 100% ready.

The Bloody-Nine

I'm not stating he's faking an injury, but I absolutely doubt his commitment to our club. He's left us before, and he went public with his desire to leave during the summer. He also had his agent make it clear to everyone at the club.

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba wants to leave the club, his agent Mino Raiola has told The Times.

Pogba, 26, has been absent from pre-season training this week, adding to speculation about his long-term future.

In June, Pogba said "now could be a good time to find a new challenge".

And Raiola has now told The Times: "Everyone knows the willingness of Paul to move on. We are in the process of that. Everyone knows what the feelings of Paul are."

The Italian agent added: "Everyone within the club, from the manager to the owner, knows Paul's wishes."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48887835

kouroux

As if they care what anyone says, they have already made up their minds and there is no way they are going to change that. They might even watch live streaming of Pogba's operation, they would still say "it's all staged"
I meant it in the sense that Ole isn't publicly criticizing him like Mourinho did.
Whatever is said, some opinions will never change but it must hurt some that the current manager likes him

kouroux

Who's is more numerous right now, haters or fanbois?
It's not fanbois and haters, that's just way too simplistic as a way to view things. I know there are many fans who rightly prioritize the club but don't like unfair and stupid criticism of some players.
To answer your question, I have no idea.

@The Bloody-Nine There isn't a scenario in which Pogba makes Raiola say one thing publicly. If he feels like there is an intelligent opportunity to unsettle a situation and create havoc for money, he will do it.
Raiola has always done that and will always do that.

DoomSlayer

Yeah you sure love Ole. Managers say that kind of stuff all the time but when Ole says it it's embarrassing...
And who the feck has said it then, Beppe Marotta the genius? I couldn't care less if other managers have said it in the past, it doesn't make it less embarrassing.

Ole could have waxed lyrical about Pogba without adding that part. I know Raiola has been moaning about how the club has never protected Pogba from criticism but this kind of ass-licking is just stupid and makes us look weaker than we already are.

The Bloody-Nine

It's not fanbois and haters, that's just way too simplistic as a way to view things. I know there are many fans who rightly prioritize the club but don't like unfair and stupid criticism of some players.

@The Bloody-Nine There isn't a scenario in which Pogba makes Raiola say one thing publicly. If he feels like there is an intelligent opportunity to unsettle a situation and create havoc for money, he will do it.
Come on. Pogba pays him a lot of money to do as he asks.

Ban

And who the feck has said it then, Beppe Marotta the genius? I couldn't care less if other managers have said it in the past, it doesn't make it less embarrassing.

Ole could have waxed lyrical about Pogba without adding that part. I know Raiola has been moaning about how the club has never protected Pogba from criticism but this kind of ass-licking is just stupid and makes us look weaker than we already are.
Ass licking? :lol:
Come of it.

jackal&hyde

I'm not stating he's faking an injury, but I absolutely doubt his commitment to our club. He's left us before, and he went public with his desire to leave during the summer. He also had his agent make it clear to everyone at the club.

People can change their minds you know. After all, he chose to come back when we were not in the CL and at a beginning phase of a rebuild (that we f'ed up). If we get the right amount of money i think he might leave but given the way he has conducted himself till now i would not be surprised to see him here this time next season.

Ban

If it's too simplistic why do you mention supposed haters then

The Bloody-Nine

People can change their minds you know. After all, he chose to come back when we were not in the CL and at a beginning phase of a rebuild (that we f'ed up). If we get the right amount of money i think he might leave but given the way he has conducted himself till now i would not be surprised to see him here this time next season.
The only way I see him here next season is if there are no takers for him again.

kouroux

Come on. Pogba pays him a lot of money to do as he asks.
He pays him a lot of money to further his career whatever means necessary basically. How Raiola deals in details with it, his clients don't get involved in the process much. They love and trust him a lot. Pogba isn't a pawn of course but Raiola is very much independent

JPRouve

Scout

This isn't limited to Pogba but at some point people need to understand that commitment is a two way street, it's not an unconditional reality. Players are only committed when they are offered the entire package of silverware, money and quality of life conversely clubs are only committed to players when they perform at the required level, at a price that they find palatable and when they have a certain amount of control regarding their contracts. Football clubs try to upgrade every positions at all time and there is no reason for players to not do the same.

The fans that don't get that are giving themselves more heartaches than they should and are expecting things that have never existed in professional sport. If you want good players to be genuinely committed, you have to offer the best opportunity to be successful and wealthy, and by best I mean compared to other clubs.

kouroux

If it's too simplistic why do you mention supposed haters then
Because I wanted it to, some fans do truly hate him and will probably hate to read what Ole said about him.
Me mentioning and focusing on them doesn't mean I don't think neutrals and fanbois don't exist

The Bloody-Nine

He pays him a lot of money to further his career whatever means necessary basically. How Raiola deals in details with it, his clients don't get involved in the process much. They love and trust him a lot. Pogba isn't a pawn of course but Raiola is very much independent
You will never convince me that Raiola went to the club and informed everyone that Pogba wanted to leave, unless Pogba wanted to leave. It makes zero sense. And when you couple it with what Pogba himself said, it's clear.

As the guy above said, it's possible he's changed his mind since then, but I've seen no evidence of it.

jackal&hyde

The only way I see him here next season is if there are no takers for him again.
By no takers you mean clubs that want him (Real, Juve, PSG) but can not afford 150mil? It's a lot of money but he's a lot of player that we should get the right amount of money for. The only exception here is if he'l do a temper tantrum and force our hand but i don't see it from Pogba.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
The ankle injury seems a bit suspect. Never hear much news on it.

Seemed to start off as a knock and has progressed into a long term injury. Not sure where his future lies, but I can't see him wanting to stay and us forcing him to stay.
You reckon he had a fake cast on?

kouroux

You will never convince me that Raiola went to the club and informed everyone that Pogba wanted to leave, unless Pogba wanted to leave. It makes zero sense. And when you couple it with what Pogba himself said, it's clear.

As the guy above said, it's possible he's changed his mind since then, but I've seen no evidence of it.
Good thing that's not what I said at all so I don't have to convince you of it. I didn't say anything about Pogba's intent to leave,