Is Pogba as good as gone?

UnitedChampionsAgain

Just have to say, the money which Pogba and Sanchez have ripped from United is a bloody disgrace. Neither of them give a damn about the club. Hope to see the back of them soon.

romufc

I honestly think its made up and even if he did come, I' m not sure he would start as the no.10. Bruno was clearly bought for that role. Pogba will leave, but I feel it would be for a player who actually plays as a box to box midfielder or a deep lying playmaker, not another no.10.
If Pogba goes we defo need to get him in. You have to remember we need to replace Herrera, Fellaini, Pogba, Matic, Lingard and Perreira.

mad1max954

I honestly think its made up and even if he did come, I' m not sure he would start as the no.10. Bruno was clearly bought for that role. Pogba will leave, but I feel it would be for a player who actually plays as a box to box midfielder or a deep lying playmaker, not another no.10.
I personally feel that if you have two hard working CM's or CAM's you can get away with playing them both in the same team in a 433.. you need to compress the pitch and play with a high line and a good amount of pressure on the ball, but there is no reason why you cant make it work.

If one of them is a bit lazy or your not compact enough, the CDM will get overrun in the middle so it is a fine balance.

zenith

I for one am kinda looking forward to the club getting a 100 million plus fee for pogba and investing it on a DM and Grealish to get our midfield sorted for good.

In another Era pogba could have had a Cantona like impact for us but at this point of time, he seems like a luxury.

Not to mention he must be on crazy wages. Regardless of quality, if his heart ain't in it and Madrid come calling with a decent offer, then it won't be the worst thing in the world.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I for one am kinda looking forward to the club getting a 100 million plus fee for pogba and investing it on a DM and Grealish to get our midfield sorted for good.

In another Era pogba could have had a Cantona like impact for us but at this point of time, he seems like a luxury.

Not to mention he must be on crazy wages. Regardless of quality, if his heart ain't in it and Madrid come calling with a decent offer, then it won't be the worst thing in the world.
You honestly think you will get over £100 million for him?

tjb

I personally feel that if you have two hard working CM's or CAM's you can get away with playing them both in the same team in a 433.. you need to compress the pitch and play with a high line and a good amount of pressure on the ball, but there is no reason why you cant make it work.

If one of them is a bit lazy or your not compact enough, the CDM will get overrun in the middle so it is a fine balance.
We have to go on who we currently have and what he has done in the past. Ole has mostly used a 4231 with us and when he does switch up, we play a 3412. That leaves one spot for a CAM and requires two CM's behind him who have to perform defensive duties. We are not, have never been and will not be Man City. It may be a nice idea if Poch came in, but the truth about it is, even he would put one of the two on the flanks roaming inside like he did with Eriksen. Only a few managers in the world can play the way you asking for and have their team dominate. Fergie stuck with what he knew for the most part, tweaking and adapting a little bit, but keeping the core principles. We cannot expect Ole or Poch to be as comfortable as Pep in playing two attacking midfielders in midfield.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You honestly think you will get over £100 million for him?
Coutinho went for like over 120, Lukaku just went for 70-80 or so... so yeah he's over 100m if anyone wants him, unless a contract thing comes into play. Real Madrid will pay it though, especially with them fully backing Zidane now.

tjb

If Pogba goes we defo need to get him in. You have to remember we need to replace Herrera, Fellaini, Pogba, Matic, Lingard and Perreira.
Yes those players need replacing, but none of the players we are buying will be on the bench either. Grealish is not a player with the capacity to play in a two man midfield. Bruno is not a player that you want playing there either even if he can. No point buying a player then trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. We have gone through this for years, why put ourselves in a position to do this again. You are right that we need new players in midfield, but what we really need in midfield is a guy that can dictate play for us, Grealish is not that guy. I would love him here as a winger as he has great dribblling ability and is rather creative, but if we already have Bruno, why waste that money in him we have so many more things to improve on.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Coutinho went for like over 120, Lukaku just went for 70-80 or so... so yeah he's over 100m if anyone wants him, unless a contract thing comes into play. Real Madrid will pay it though, especially with them fully backing Zidane now.
Pobga has basically done nothing of note for at least 3 years - at least nothing of note in domestic football. If anything his value has decreased rather than increased if you ask me - with inflation and so on I'd expect him to go for anything between 70-85million and he wouldn't be worth it.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Spoke to two Villa season ticket holders recently, one said that Grealish's best position he feels is left sided AM/ LW, he is best when attacking defences, not quite so good defensively, although he will 'get stuck in'. The other is adamant that he is of to Real in the summer, regardless of whether Villa stay up or go down, probably for €80 million to €90 million.

romufc

Yes those players need replacing, but none of the players we are buying will be on the bench either. Grealish is not a player with the capacity to play in a two man midfield. Bruno is not a player that you want playing there either even if he can. No point buying a player then trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. We have gone through this for years, why put ourselves in a position to do this again. You are right that we need new players in midfield, but what we really need in midfield is a guy that can dictate play for us, Grealish is not that guy. I would love him here as a winger as he has great dribblling ability and is rather creative, but if we already have Bruno, why waste that money in him we have so many more things to improve on.
£50m for Grealish would be a bargain he can play in a 3 man midfield with a DM holding.

City have done it as well, considering we got defensive full backs it is something we can work with.

Depends what competition we are in as well tbh, if we do not get European football then a smaller squad will be fine.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just have to say, the money which Pogba and Sanchez have ripped from United is a bloody disgrace. Neither of them give a damn about the club. Hope to see the back of them soon.
Saying Pogba ‘doesn’t give a damn about the club’ is without any real basis tbh. He’s joined us twice, and there’s nothing to suggest that if we were not a mid table side, he’d be fully contented to be here.

romufc

Pobga has basically done nothing of note for at least 3 years - at least nothing of note in domestic football. If anything his value has decreased rather than increased if you ask me - with inflation and so on I'd expect him to go for anything between 70-85million and he wouldn't be worth it.
He had his best goal scoring season last year so I dont get where you are getting this about him not doing anything. He's been injured this season and his first season him and Zlatan formed a very good partnership.

We will easily get £120m for him.

The Bloody-Nine

The sad truth. People believing we're going to get £150 million, or whatever, for him are deluded.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He had his best goal scoring season last year so I dont get where you are getting this about him not doing anything. He's been injured this season and his first season him and Zlatan formed a very good partnership.

You might, but I suspect you are in for disappointment.

romufc

You might, but I suspect you are in for disappointment.
Pogba is still a very marketable player. That comes into play as well. His on-field worth might be £80m but his off field worth is £40m odd too.

He is still one of the best CM's around.

Siorac

Again, that means you value him no higher than Romelu fecking Lukaku, which is ridiculous.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Ok let me clarify - he has done nothing of note to suggest he is worth anything like £100million.

EireRed_GS

Ok let me clarify - he has done nothing of note to suggest he is worth anything like £100million.
I agree, in all honesty, he has mostly been disappointing since we brought him back, much much more bad/anonymous games than he has had good games.

But on current mad prices (see maguire) & Pogba's marketability we should get about 100m. After all, im pretty certain thats one of the reasons Ed pushed to get him back. You would get you fee back quick enough on shirt sales.

GMoore23

Not a chance. Pogba has nowhere near the self belief Cantona had. Cantona had an aura of invincibility and was a scorer of important goals whereas Pogba hides during every important game. Pogba's just a poser in my opinion.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The thing about Pogba is hype has huge bearing on what he costs so much. If you were going by ability alone, he would probably be about 70 million. Add in the hype and the world cup winner tag and it bumps up to 100 million.

I had said years ago and got eaten alive for it, that he was nowhere near as good as some fans were hyping him up to be. Still decent creativity wise. But he does not work hard enough. It was hype then that inflated his transfer. He was: "the one ferguson let go." and all this shite.

Would have been interesting to see his career if he had not signed for united as a youngster. I would speculate that he would not near command such a big transfer if he had not been on our books as a teen.

Still though. We will be looking for about 100 million for him, which i would accept straight away.

Posh Red

Not a chance. Pogba has nowhere near the self belief Cantona had. Cantona had an aura of invincibility and was a scorer of important goals whereas Pogba hides during every important game. Pogba's just a poser in my opinion.
What a load of bollocks. Hides during big games? I guess the world cup final and the Manchester derby never happened then? I’m not going to list every big game he’s played well in, but people just make shit up at this stage.

romufc

Correct, I can agree with that. He has not shown why he is worth that but as we know with footballers these days, the value doesn't represent the players worth.

We just hope Raiola can get us a good fee if he wants the player moved.

Jonno

Fortunately, he holds a very high market value. To think we could flog him for £80m-£100m and buy two Brunos with our new, sensible transfer policy.

Hopefully we go for another engine type, box to box player in the middle, and then a creative number 8/10 to work with Bruno.

If we can swap Pogba for a 6 and an 8 and break even, that will be excellent business.

Then we'll have an entire summer kitty for a CB, RW, ST.

Jonno

He literally scored in a world cup final. Strange view.

ROFLUTION

What a load of bollocks. Hides during big games? I guess the world cup final and the Manchester derby never happened then? I’m not going to list every big game he’s played well in, but people just make shit up at this stage.
Sure, but he's nowhere near Cantona in terms of importance for us. Completely carried the team a lot of times. In a lot of 1-0 games he made us win instead of drawing. Pogba might have good games, but he's so on and off. Oddly he's sometimes most off in the small games, maybe its a focus thing.

The Bloody-Nine

You should. It wouldn't take long. For us, anyway.

He'sRaldo

He'll most likely do very well should he go elsewhere.

Most on these boards are in agreement regarding the problems around the club, but we expect certain players to rise above them. I'd say he did decently enough with us to accomplish the 2nd place and Europa win. He was reaching CL finals before he came to us, and won a World Cup with us, so I wouldn't be too surprised if he accomplished similar if he leaves.

Obviously it's not what we like to hear, but it's not far from the truth IMO. All that said, I don't think it's set in stone that he's leaving. Still time left on his contract and a renewal may not be off the table yet.

mad1max954

We have to go on who we currently have and what he has done in the past. Ole has mostly used a 4231 with us and when he does switch up, we play a 3412. That leaves one spot for a CAM and requires two CM's behind him who have to perform defensive duties. We are not, have never been and will not be Man City. It may be a nice idea if Poch came in, but the truth about it is, even he would put one of the two on the flanks roaming inside like he did with Eriksen. Only a few managers in the world can play the way you asking for and have their team dominate. Fergie stuck with what he knew for the most part, tweaking and adapting a little bit, but keeping the core principles. We cannot expect Ole or Poch to be as comfortable as Pep in playing two attacking midfielders in midfield.
Yeah I think your right actually. It doesn't make sense to change how you want to play, unless thats what you want to commit to playing indefinitely.

Woodward should take note as that's where you long term strategy / Director of Football comes in. You spend wisely on a long term design and stop putting square pegs in round holes; e.g. fellaini, mata, even pogba to an extent too!

dev1l

Anyone knows how much Raiola will be expected to pocket from another Pogba transfer?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Anyone knows how much Raiola will be expected to pocket from another Pogba transfer?
No idea but it's worth remembering that players and agents get money through extensions too. A part of the caf somehow has the idea that it's only a thing with transfers, signing bonuses are big in both cases and neither are directly linked to the transfer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Would also like to see this list
He’s missed a few big games for us with injury suspension tbh. But he’s had many good performances or made a positive impact in a few. A fair few, considering on a field of the best players in the league, he’s not expected to be the best player in every match.

EireRed_GS

He done it in the second 45 vs City (he was brutal in the first 45) and had an impact in a few of them games in the World cup.. But talking for United only, no he hasnt performed anywhere near the level he should be vs the better teams. Maybe in a couple just, but in the majority of them he didnt have much impact.

People can blame the players around him for this etc, But i dont see grealish/Neves etc having problems with playing in 'lesser' teams. So I only believe this up to certain point.

I would love him to stay, as im intrigued how he would play beside Bruno/Fred or Bruno/Scott, but i doubt we will see much of this if any

Steve Bruce

He'll have a fantastic euros and his value will shoot up.

I think we'll get around 120m to 130m but it'll be 80m up front and the rest in installments and bonuses

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He’s missed a few big games for us with injury suspension tbh. But he’s had many good performances or made a positive impact in a few. A fair few, considering on a field of the best players in the league, he’s not expected to be the best player in every match.
I don't really keep score on these type of things but from memory there is 3 or 4 games against Chelsea, a couple against Spurs, the comeback against City and he has been generally good against Arsenal. We haven't really played a lot of important games in the last few years though.