Is Roy Keane actually a good pundit

padzilla

Hipster
A good piece on this subject from Irish site The 42.

IT IS JUST over 10 years since one of Roy Keane’s most famous quips.

In November 2008, unhappy at criticism of high-achieving managers such as Arsene Wenger, the then-Sunderland boss told reporters:

“I was asked by ITV to do the Celtic versus Manchester United game but I’ve done it once for Sky and never again. I’d rather go to the dentist.

“You’re sitting there with people like Richard Keys and they’re trying to sell something that’s not there.

“Anytime I watch a game on television, I have to turn the commentators off. They say ‘he’s playing well’ and I’m thinking ‘no, he’s not’. My advice to anyone is don’t listen to the experts, just watch the game and gather your own opinions.”

It was hard not to recall those quotes on Sunday, as Keane appeared as part of Sky Sports’ lengthy coverage of Southampton-Arsenal and Liverpool-Man United.

The sense that Keane, who has also been a regular as part of ITV’s Champions League coverage in recent years, increasingly appears to be embracing punditry is the latest example of the contradictory nature of this complex figure.

The former Man United captain earlier this year was involved in a bust-up with Ireland internationals Harry Arter and Jon Walters.

Multiple reports have indicated Keane’s anger in that instance emanated from when he discovered that the two players in question were told not to train by the FAI medical staff owing to injury problems.

This criticism was coming from the same person who famously fell out with Mick McCarthy, after the manager accused him of faking injury ahead of the 2002 World Cup, while Keane also praised Ruud van Nistelrooy in his second autobiography for opting out of a Man United-Arsenal match.

“There I was thinking he was the fool, but I think now that I probably was,” he explained

“I played, and my hamstring was f****** killing me.

“I think I actually had a torn hamstring.

“Ruud ended up playing in Spain till he was 39, and he still looks 21.”

The above comments were a fascinating insight from the former player, but one of the disappointing aspects of Keane’s post-playing career is that his punditry and analysis of games can often be disappointingly basic.

For a man who demanded such high standards from his team-mates and was a notorious perfectionist when it came to preparation as a footballer — a characteristic that prompted a substantial portion of his anger amid the shambolic training facilities that led to the famous controversy in Saipan — there is a conspicuous lack of detail in the content of his TV criticisms.

And something that Keane has going for him, of course, is his honesty — he will not hesitate to hammer someone who is perceived to be deserving of his wrath, in contrast with many of the other more tame pundits that populate our TV screens.

Keane’s most famous and memorable pieces of analysis usually tend to be one-liners.

“If Ashley Young is a Manchester United player, I’m a Chinaman,” he once said of the England international.

He also suggested a few years back that certain Arsenal players were more interested in “selfies, six-packs and their hair” than winning titles — a strange criticism, when you consider more successful sides such as Barcelona and Real Madrid also routinely post selfies of themselves after victories.

Consequently, Keane, it seems clear from his punditry to date, has a suspicion of modern players and their habits.

Today, it felt almost as if fellow Sky analyst Gary Neville was setting him up for an assist when he brought up the clothing range Man United star Jesse Lingard launched earlier this week. Keane’s response was predictable.

“If it was a good strong dressing room that wouldn’t be tolerated, and that’s why I worry about the United dressing room,” he said.

While such comments may be amusing to some, suggesting that Lingard doing something so innocuous during his time off is linked with United’s problems seems a tenuous claim at best. Even superstars such as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo devote plenty of time to their other business interests, and it hardly seems to affect them unduly.

The former Celtic and Nottingham Forest player is comfortable with these type of put-downs and they can often seem relatively effective on ITV, where time is limited and pundits are only afforded a few minutes to air their views.

On Sky, by comparison, there is greater scope for extensive analysis as pundits are allowed more air time.

Moreover, a good question to ask when assessing a pundit is: ‘Are they saying something the majority of viewers are unlikely to know?’

The average person who pays for Sky is more likely to be a hardcore football fan rather than the casual supporters who only watch big games on terrestrial TV, so it is expected that the analysis will be more sophisticated and in-depth with the satellite broadcaster.

Figures such as Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville are subsequently popular because they frequently come across as intelligent and insightful.

There are plenty of examples of their excellent analysis from over the years, particularly on Monday Night Football, where many hours are devoted to meticulous preparation beforehand.

But take one isolated illustration from Neville today.

“Will Mourinho leave? I think it will happen, my preference would always be to get to the end of the season. But the boardroom is so naive it’s unbelievable,” he said.

“To give him an extended contract, knowing his cycle of every three years, was incredible. The minute he came back from pre-season he was at it and the club was out of control.

Nobody above him can handle him. They don’t know what to do with him, they don’t know what to say to him. They don’t know what he’s going to say at every press conference. It will cost a fortune to lose him now.”
The above statement is an opinion backed up with a coherent explanation. Many viewers will likely have forgotten about that contract extension, and the compensation which parting ways with the Portuguese coach would require is a valid point and one that not many pundits have brought up.

Contrast that example with Keane’s comments.

“The players are not good enough.” “Paul Pogba’s days are numbered.” “United are an average Premier League side.”

None of these opinions are necessarily incorrect. But it is the type of analysis that most fans could easily give. Quite frankly, it is stating the obvious.

Granted, Keane should not be judged too harshly on one performance. If he appears on Sky more often in the future, he may become more comfortable with the long-form format.

But the suspicion in recent times is that Keane’s old-school ways and ostensible tendency to wish football was still as it was in Brian Clough’s heyday is holding him back as a manager.

When modern players want detail and sophistication, he offers jarring truisms. In the Ireland set-up, you got the sense that players were told to sort it themselves on the pitch rather than being given especially specific instructions.

As Wolves’ Matt Doherty said in a revealing interview just after Keane and Martin O’Neill’s reign had ended: “When you were away with Ireland, you didn’t really have that much coaching. It was more of five-a-side, or 11-a-side game, and that would be it.”

In a sense, you feel these criticisms could apply to Keane’s punditry.

Great pundits do not always make excellent managers, and vice versa, but good communication skills are vital for success in both roles, so the two are not entirely incompatible.

In an era when sophistication and specific tactical analysis is increasingly expected of experts as football fans and participants become more educated amid the significant increase in media coverage of the sport since the Premier League began, the Corkonian seems intent on remaining defiantly out of fashion.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1074364986946932738

Theonas

Scout
He is an entertaining one but of course he does not offer any tactical insight. He was a brilliant football because of his energy, mentality and underrated technique but his background was very basic tactically and he thrived in '90s and early '00s PL which was archaic in that area as well. It's a testament to his other qualities that we still managed to hold our own against Europe's best despite being clearly outsmarted by them from a positional and tactical point of view during that era. So of course to him, football is nothing more than individual duels on the pitch where the full back has to deal with the winger, center back with the striker and so on. Any failure is therefore an individual shortcoming if one goes by that logic. Doherty's statement is actually quite revealing, if not necessarily surprising.

ErranMorad

I have found that no failed manager makes a good pundit. Neville was half-decent but has turned dog shit since his Valencia disaster. Keane was always a cantankerous old fool not able to swallow that he isn't as good at other things as he was at football. He is employed in the studios for his shock value more than anything. You never know what he is going to blurt out.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Like many ex footballers he’s a hypocrite of epic proportions. Gets the odd thing right now and again and is certainly not near the shit pundit end of the spectrum but needs to be careful not to come across as a caricature. Given up on Neville though who has become a parody.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
What are examples of good pundits? Everyone seems to think everyone is shit.

Tarrou

I enjoy watching him, but he doesn't really provide much tactical insight, does he? Just basically goes into various rants in favour of or against certain teams, managers or players. But at least he speaks his mind.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The best are usually guys who just finished playing. The further they are from their playing days the more they start relying on cliches from their playing days.

Bojan11

To be fair Richard Keys would annoy anyone. I’m not surprised Keane got fed up of his banter back then.

fallengt

The best are usually guys who just finished playing. The further they are from their playing days the more they start relying on cliches from their playing days.
Drawing lines and shit to make themselves and viewers feel smart.

Stretfordender

Imo he’s a good pundit, I like straight talkers no bullshit.. what’s the alternative listening to Souness, Carragher, Redknapp, Gerrard, McManaman or Kelly Daglish just to name a few..

red4ever 79

I like his no nonsense say it as it is approach. If you take yesterday for example he basically said what we are all thinking the back 4 need replacing, Ashley Young is no where near good enough, the modern day footballers are more focussed on their clothing brands and Instagram than concentrating on football, and that Pogba should go.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
He is an entertaining one but of course he does not offer any tactical insight. He was a brilliant football because of his energy, mentality and underrated technique but his background was very basic tactically and he thrived in '90s and early '00s PL which was archaic in that area as well. It's a testament to his other qualities that we still managed to hold our own against Europe's best despite being clearly outsmarted by them from a positional and tactical point of view during that era. So of course to him, football is nothing more than individual duels on the pitch where the full back has to deal with the winger, center back with the striker and so on. Any failure is therefore an individual shortcoming if one goes by that logic. Doherty's statement is actually quite revealing, if not necessarily surprising.
It wasn't the 1930s he was playing in

thesheriffjw

I personally like Jamie Redknapp and Souness. They tend to be impartial.

As for Keane, he is an interesting watch, especially when things are not to his standard. Blunt and to the point.

I would not say he is a good pundit, but you cannot knock him, as his record and determination are unquestionable. A born winner

Theonas

Scout
It wasn't. At the same time it wasn't as tactically naive as you're suggesting.
We had some of our best individuals ever and could not only get to one European final. Arsenal had some of their best PL sides ever going a season unbeaten and they barely managed a quarter final appearance. The league did not compete with Italy and Spain for the best managers or players which was one of the main reasons it developed tactically in the mid '00s. It is to Sir Alex's genius that he dominated a typically old school PL and had the ability to adapt and dominate a more tactically diverse landscape a decade later which can be seen in the difference of players profile he relied on.

UncleBob

As for Keane, he is an interesting watch, especially when things are not to his standard. Blunt and to the point.

I would not say he is a good pundit, but you cannot knock him, as his record and determination are unquestionable. A born winner
:lol:

In regards to Roy Keane, or any other pundit for that matter, i'm generally frustrated by the lack of an actual tactical analysis. It would surprise me if Keane can't offer one.. Considering how long he's been in the game as both a player and manager i would assume that it would be interesting to hear his views on what a team is trying to achieve, would give fans a bit of perspective on what a manager is trying to do. Right now he's just offering what i assume the channel wants, Roy Keane being blunt.

His comments on City and Liverpool makes me want to bash my head into a wall

"People talk about Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp being geniuses. Pep won nothing in his first season at Manchester City and he went to the board and said he needed four defenders, not one. They backed him.

"Looking at Klopp's Liverpool over the last few years and we've said they are not bad but they were desperate for a goalkeeper and a centre-half and they went and got them. Now, all of a sudden people say Liverpool are going places, but they are still to win a trophy.

It would surprise me a lot if he's this naive.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...vest-in-better-quality-players-says-roy-keane

Foxbatt

No he is not tactically that naive. He has managed one club successfully and others not but he has been an assistant manager too so he knows a lot more tactically than he lets on. For sure he has been more successful as a manager than Gary Neville ever was.
I feel for Roy Keane football is the most important thing. So when people have other interests outside of football that may affect their game on the pitch he gets angry. Rightly I would say so.
I remember Rio saying that when he came to United and he made a safe pass Keane had a go at him for not playing a forward pass. Roy Keane should say what he thinks but it would be better as some of you say if he talks a bit more about tactics or when United is playing a lack of tactics apart from parking the bus or hoofing it up.
Carragher was talking some nonsense too yesterday about how good Lukaku was. Lukaku was shite.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Why would anyone listen to any punditry? I don't take interest in football for the pre- or post- match bullshit.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We had some of our best individuals ever and could not only get to one European final. Arsenal had some of their best PL sides ever going a season unbeaten and they barely managed a quarter final appearance. The league did not compete with Italy and Spain for the best managers or players which was one of the main reasons it developed tactically in the mid '00s. It is to Sir Alex's genius that he dominated a typically old school PL and had the ability to adapt and dominate a more tactically diverse landscape a decade later which can be seen in the difference of players profile he relied on.
The foreigners rule + the after effects of the European ban stymied English sides in Europe for a while. But that is a really myopic lens to evaluate tactical understanding on the isles. I'm not having it that English football that dominated Europe pre Heysel suddenly lapsed into the dark ages tactics wise.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Most of the ex-MUFC are good (except on MUTV who are all bad). All of the LFC ones are bad (inc Michael Owen).

lsd

The Oracle

If you asked Souness if he wanted a cup of tea he would reply "when I was at Liverpool we only took the best tea "

RedFish

It's hard not to listen to the man who captained our side with such authority and success. I do value his opinion more than other pundits I have to say, especially when it comes to matters regarding our football club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I've never once seen him say anything insightful but his rather cartoonish persona does bring a certain entertainment.

Classical Mechanic

I've never once seen him say anything insightful but his rather cartoonish persona does bring a certain entertainment.
The general gist of what he says is ‘they need to pull their socks up and work harder, they’re not as good as they think they are’.

He’s like a really shallow Tory.

Gandalf

Keane is ok but you just get the feeling he would rather be doing something else. If he had the chance to manage again he would bite your hand off but I really don't think talking about the game does anything for him.

Not sure why so many are giving Neville stick, I think he is better than most and as the original poster pointed out, he can cite examples and evidence to back up his opinions. I can only assume that people don't like his loyalty to the club at a time when we are all wanting to tear the place down and start again but his feelings there are understandable. I can't think of an ex-player who doesn't stick up for their old club on tv, Lineker was ready to immortalize Poch yesterday for winning 100 PL games faster than Wenger did, blindly ignoring the fact that Wenger had a couple of PL titles and cups in his cabinet at that stage whilst Poch has won bugger all.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I will give you an example of a crap player who has become an absolutely awful pundit and that award goes to the halfwit Robbie Savage.

I ask you. Which other so called football pundit gets his mummy to phone in to his radio programme.

I have given up asking the BBC why they waste money paying the idiot.
I used to listen to the 5live football phone in but as soon as he was part of it I no longer bother to listen to the rubbish he spouts.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's hard not to listen to the man who captained our side with such authority and success. I do value his opinion more than other pundits I have to say, especially when it comes to matters regarding our football club.
Quite right. When he talks about United I can imagine what he must be thinking.
I just wish that he would say what he thinks but I get the feeling he is trying to not be controversial.

Occasionally he lets go but not often enough for me.

Regarding Gary Neville, you can hear the pain in his voice when he commentates on United.
Again, he wants to keep his job like the rest of them so they say what they think you want to hear.

Apokalips

One of the problems with Roy Keane is he presents his opinions as fact and does so in such a stern way that the contradictions listed in the article make him come across as ignorant and arrogant which, to an extent, he is. He doesn't seem like the type that you could have a sensible debate with and his opinions are often quite aggressively negative.

He constantly contradicts himself,but which pundit doesn't?
I dont find him particularly aggressive though. Actually I find him quite funny and I dont think he takes himself as seriously as others suggest.
Neville was practically laughing at Keane yesterday yet it didn't seem to bother him.
I think we're missing the obvious dry wit in Keane's views sometimes.

I would recommend watching Keane speaking his mind over reading his views.
There's always a devlish little spark in Keane's eyes when you know he's just having abit of a lark.

simplyared

Like the way he puts things accross. When he said about somebody coming from another planet, with no history whatsoever about the club, and looking at the way we are performing, would say we were midtable. He's certainly not part of the hate Mourinho brigade and doesn't believe we have the quality. I want Mourinho away now, but agree with him on quality.

fezzerUTD

:lol:

In regards to Roy Keane, or any other pundit for that matter, i'm generally frustrated by the lack of an actual tactical analysis. It would surprise me if Keane can't offer one.. Considering how long he's been in the game as both a player and manager i would assume that it would be interesting to hear his views on what a team is trying to achieve, would give fans a bit of perspective on what a manager is trying to do. Right now he's just offering what i assume the channel wants, Roy Keane being blunt.

His comments on City and Liverpool makes me want to bash my head into a wall

"People talk about Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp being geniuses. Pep won nothing in his first season at Manchester City and he went to the board and said he needed four defenders, not one. They backed him.

"Looking at Klopp's Liverpool over the last few years and we've said they are not bad but they were desperate for a goalkeeper and a centre-half and they went and got them. Now, all of a sudden people say Liverpool are going places, but they are still to win a trophy.

It would surprise me a lot if he's this naive.
You think they are geniuses then right?

dweb

I'd listen to Danny Murphy anyday rather than Keane.