Is Scott McTominay a better footballer than Conor Gallagher?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Something permeating discussion revolving around the [hopeful] sale of McTominay is that if Gallagher is worth a cert amount, McTominay is too. That brackets them in the same ballpark as players, which was somewhat surprising to read given Gallagher’s time and performance level at Palace. Granted, he’s not followed that up at Chelsea last season, but Chelsea were an absolute catastrophe that barely any player looked their touted value and regard in. McTominay has had some strong periods at United, but on par with at least 3/4 of a season that Gallagher had at Palace?

Is there a belief that McTominay can/will do similar at a smaller club? If not, then how does it come about that people feel there’s even parity between the two players?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You could have probably got good money for McTominay around 20/21 ish time. Trick is to sell before the cat is out of the bag, so to speak.

Baxquux

I'm not sure either of them have that level of composure against the press you see amongst top-bracket players (and which is still more widespread in general amongst top-flight midfielders outside the UK, although it's changing somewhat), but Gallagher seems a slightly more creative player able to regularly spot passes, and maybe also more disciplined in terms of playing deeper along with being a better tackler etc. I would take Gallagher as a squad player in a hypothetical swap though there are lots of more suitable midfielders for a Ten Hag system out there...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There aren't many available 27 year old premier league caliber midfielders who consistently started for a team that finished in the top 4. Whatever you think of McTominay, he has done that. Being English, adds extra value.

cyberman

Yes. No team that starts Gallagher would ever finish second in the league.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Gallagher is better at passing, shooting, linking up play, taking some responsibility and getting involved. General midfield stuff. He’s an ok player who could be good if he gets a few more seasons under his belt at a level of club that will allow for that

McT has been with us for years and seen plenty of action. The bad he’s constantly hiding from the ball under pressure. Leaving the midfield to his teammates and the opposition to sort out and getting yellow cards frequently because he’s not a good tackler either which is a pity because that could have been the making of him at a high level. He’s good at getting into the box and he’s strong and that’s about it. I’d imagine he’s a good character to have around too.

Gallagher for me all day every day just for being above average at the basics of midfield play and having more room to improve.

There aren't many available 27 year old premier league caliber midfielders who consistently started for a team that finished in the top 4. Whatever you think of McTominay, he has done that. Being English, adds extra value.
Agreed with this. Top 4 starter for multiple seasons, including runner up.

Oranges038

Probably McTominay.

But, I think a midfield containing Gallagher and McTominay would be one of worst in the league.

tomaldinho1

Both about the same level I would say, neither really is good enough for where their club wants to be but they aren't bad players. Solid PL players.

Skills

Snitch
I still don't know Scotts best position. Says it all really.
There isn't one in top level football. People are under this delusional belief that he should be allowed to play in the attacking third - but at what cost. You're sacrificing far more talented and able players to give someone as average as McTominay more freedom up front.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Definitely.

It's much, much harder to perform for United then it is for Crystal Palace.

Idxomer

No, but the difference in quality between them isn't much.

MegadrivePerson

I don't think there's much in it.

If I had to sign one of them though I'd go for Gallagher as he's younger and has more room for improvement.

Kag

No. Gallagher is younger and has a lot more in his locker, and McTominay isn’t capable of having the kind of season that Gallagher had at Palace.

McTominay is almost 27 and still doesn’t have a position nailed down.

Skills

Snitch
The team that finished second and top 4, finished there in spite of him. He was easily the worst player and most upgradeable part of that team.

cyberman

No. Gallagher is younger and has a lot more in his locker, and McTominay isn’t capable of having the kind of season that Gallagher had at Palace.

McTominay is almost 27 and still doesn’t have a position nailed down.
He does?

Stadjer

Those top 4 finishes are team performances. Not McT performances or indications that he is a good player.

Cleverley won the title and Lingard was a starter for years. They left Manchester United and showed they werent very good after all. They were just lucky to be in a team with some actual good players that carried them along. Same as McT and his top 4 finishes, those finishes were despite of him instead of him being actually an important part of it. He was one of the players people rightfully wanted to replace most. During those years he played in the midfield there was no midfield at all. Ole ball and Mourinho counter tactics dont depend on good midfielders. Many midtable or lower teams their midfielders would have been able to do his job just as well and they arent great players compared to top Premier League players.

However, if David Moyes is reading this. McT is amazing. Signing him would be robbery and signing Gallagher is a total waste of money.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Definitely.

It's much, much harder to perform for United then it is for Crystal Palace.
Surely the other way around? We are heavy favourites in 75% of the games we play. Obviously yes there is added scrutiny, you have to find a way to be consistently effective at Utd if you want to stay in the team while still winning those games. On the other hand your standard of teammate and chance of individual success is way higher at Utd if you actually belong at that level in the first place which McT in my view never has. He’s our worst CM and has been for years. If we were a well run club he’d have been sold a few years ago.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not directly comparable.

McT plays deeper . Not sure what CG best position is, similar to his role at palace I guess. More of an AM.

Blood Mage

Probably about the same level technically but at least Gallagher doesn't fecking hide from the ball.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Those top 4 finishes are team performances. Not McT performances or indications that he is a good player.

Cleverley won the title and Lingard was a starter for years. They left Manchester United and showed they werent very good after all. They were just lucky to be in a team with some actual good players that carried them along. Same as McT and his top 4 finishes, those finishes were despite of him instead of him being actually an important part of it. He was one of the players people rightfully wanted to replace most. During those years he played in the midfield there was no midfield at all. Ole ball and Mourinho counter tactics dont depend on good midfielders. Many midtable or lower teams their midfielders would have been able to do his job just as well and they arent great players compared to top Premier League players.

However, if David Moyes is reading this. McT is amazing. Signing him would be robbery and signing Gallagher is a total waste of money.
I don't think Moyes is buying McT to play like City and expects him to be his de Bruyne. He's going to play the same underdog style that Jose and Ole played with McTominay an integral part of those teams.

GlasgowCeltic

don’t Mctominay and Soucek do largely the same thing as in not much with the odd goal, how will that work

Wheato

McTominay is more versitile, though. He can play midfield or defence. He was a center forward as a youth, which is why he still gets his fair share of goals. He's also a beast.

He's a swiss arm knife of a player. Perfect for West Ham. If he plays regularly he will just get better.

Chip

Hard to say. But if McTominay got the same freedom in a mid-table side as Gallagher had at Palace, I think he would might have a similar impact.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Surely the other way around? We are heavy favourites in 75% of the games we play. Obviously yes there is added scrutiny, you have to find a way to be consistently effective at Utd if you want to stay in the team while still winning those games. On the other hand your standard of teammate and chance of individual success is way higher at Utd if you actually belong at that level in the first place which McT in my view never has. He’s our worst CM and has been for years. If we were a well run club he’d have been sold a few years ago.
It's much harder

- you have to consistantly play at a higher level to match your teammates levels, otherwise you'd stick out like a sore thumb (and I realise that people aren't fans of McT, but he's obviously had very good games for us in the past and it's not like he's looked ridiculously out of place as a Manchester United players where others have)
- you have the added pressure of playing at one of the biggest clubs in the world
- you have a higher expectations (winning every game, winning trophies etc.)
- Opposition players raise there game vs. us/ more bigger games etc.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
They are quite different players but McTominay is a better player and I don’t really rate him.

flappyjay

Our lesser players or out of form players are always so underrated. A year ago Rashford was no better than Saint Maximin. "Pre season Pirlo" did well for Fulham, wherever Scott and Fred end up in the pl I expect they will do the same for their new teams. I believe Scott is currently the better of the 2.