g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is Scott McTominay a better footballer than Conor Gallagher?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The biggest price difference between them would be age. Gallagher is 23, McTominay is turning 27.

Neither are more than mid table. Both their main quality is providing energy to the side and popping up with the odd goal. McTominay a better physical presence, Gallagher better technically but overall not much between them.

Both similar to McGinn at Villa. From last season... You're looking at 9th or below for who should be into him, no higher. Well actually ignore Chelsea who finished really low, and you're looking at the bottom half of the league only who you'd think would be their level.

flappyjay

Hard to say. But if McTominay got the same freedom in a mid-table side as Gallagher had at Palace, I think he would might have a similar impact.
Similar to what happened when Scotland stopped playing him in defence and gave him some attacking freedom.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Hard to say. But if McTominay got the same freedom in a mid-table side as Gallagher had at Palace, I think he would might have a similar impact.
That’s interesting. If he had Gallagher-Palace level season, there’d be a deluge of posts on here bemoaning us selling him in the first place.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Similar level. Gallagher is better on offense, McTominay on defense. The latter should have a higher value, as he's younger. I wouldn't pay 45 million for either.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Very interesting discussion and i often find myself arguing both sides of it - against myself to boot (if the voices in my head continues, i might need to start seeing a shrink!).

Gallagher has shown more at Palace - but there's arguably less pressure, whereas McT has shown more at a bigger club. Granted Chelsea was in tumoil last season, but United has arguably also been inconsistent and in turmoil for a while now, and McT has "won" his place in the side, year on year, with consistent performances over some really big name midfield competitors (says more about the consistency of his competition i'll add). Also, McT has shown a lot for Scotland, but then again, his use of the ball is fairly poor for United standards but again, this might not be such a big issue at a club like WHU.

If i have to get off the fence and commit to a answer: I'd say no, he's not a better footballer than Gallagher (as in more talented) but he's a fairly good bet for your money so in that sense, better footballer doesn't equate necessarily to worth more, IMO. But the fact that Gallagher is English, younger, and potentially a higher ceiling, he'll probably demand a higher fee.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Gallagher is younger and technically better, while Mctominay is better at what he does and defensively more solid.

CM

No. I don't think Gallagher's up to it for a top 6 side either, for what it's worth, but he showed more in that season for Palace than McTominay ever has at senior level.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Gallagher is clearly better. McTominay could never get in an England squad. That said, both lack real top level quality. Only that McTominay lacks many mid-level qualities too. He can’t pass a football, for instance. A player like JWP isn’t a top player, but he’s still at least just a ‘good player’ and he is a central midfielder who can pass a ball. McTominay is a whole level below Prowse at passing, and Prowse is not top 4 level himself.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Gallagher is a better passer, more intelligent but has a slightly ropey touch compared to McTominay and is also not as powerful. Both decent finishers and have good energy but Gallagher also versatile enough to play out wide if needs be as well. Not much in their level but obviously Gallagher has more potential so I don't think £40m for McTominay is that unreasonable really in the modern game. Gallagher perhaps worth £50m?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
As someone who has never been a huge Gallagher fan, he is still miles better than McTominay. McT has no facets to his individual game that could even be plausibly argued to be top class, whereas Gallagher is an undeniably excellent presser / athlete and is very good at crashing the box when he plays as an 8 especially. This is all notwithstanding the age gap, higher level of individual performance in the league at a much younger age, or significantly better tactical flexibility that all are in Gallagher's favour.

It's very telling that everyone arguing for McT is pointing to team success as opposed to anything he actually brings to the table. You can't play him deep because he hides from the ball during buildup, you can't really play him further forward because he lacks the technical quality to do well in tight spaces - honestly he should probably just be used as a CB at this point.

Chip

That’s interesting. If he had Gallagher-Palace level season, there’d be a deluge of posts on here bemoaning us selling him in the first place.
Yeah, but look at Gallagher at Chelsea after he came back. And Lingard at West Ham.

Then again, this the ‘Caf so people would probably be moaning.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Do you know Gallagher's?
Well yes - it's an 8 in a pressing side where he doesn't have to be a creative lynchpin with his passing but has license to attack the penalty area. He'd fit in perfectly at Liverpool or any other team with attacking fullbacks.

The bigger issue with McTominay is it's borderline impossible to conceive of a role in a top team where he might be successful.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
There aren't many available 27 year old premier league caliber midfielders who consistently started for a team that finished in the top 4. Whatever you think of McTominay, he has done that. Being English, adds extra value.
Being a Jock doesn't

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I will tell you who is better than Conor McGallagher.

My nan.

Stop overrating rival players. You guys did it to Mount and now he is United player you say hes crap.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No. Gallagher is a good player, he is far more involved in the play and is better defensively. McT is just poor.

Gavinb33

As someone who has never been a huge Gallagher fan, he is still miles better than McTominay. McT has no facets to his individual game that could even be plausibly argued to be top class, whereas Gallagher is an undeniably excellent presser / athlete and is very good at crashing the box when he plays as an 8 especially. This is all notwithstanding the age gap, higher level of individual performance in the league at a much younger age, or significantly better tactical flexibility that all are in Gallagher's favour.

It's very telling that everyone arguing for McT is pointing to team success as opposed to anything he actually brings to the table. You can't play him deep because he hides from the ball during buildup, you can't really play him further forward because he lacks the technical quality to do well in tight spaces - honestly he should probably just be used as a CB at this point.
Gallagher only looks better at crashing the box as he is allowed to have that freedom by playing in a formation that gives him that allowance, Mct plays deeper and in a 2 however when he has got forward he has shown he is more than capable of getting a goal and helping out in an attacking sense his recent Scotland games and times at United prove this

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Gallagher only looks better at crashing the box as he is allowed to have that freedom by playing in a formation that gives him that allowance, Mct plays deeper and in a 2 however when he has got forward he has shown he is more than capable of getting a goal and helping out in an attacking sense his recent Scotland games and times at United prove this
Ah yes, if only Scott McTominay wasn't so tactically disciplined he'd be so much better, it's the managers that have held him back

saivet

don’t Mctominay and Soucek do largely the same thing as in not much with the odd goal, how will that work
I would expect him to replace Soucek and them to sign someone else to play alongside McT. As a midfield pairing I don't think Soucek and McT would work.

cyberman

What’s Gallagher got? That one season when he scored goals for Palace but not really that many?
People put his form down to Chelsea last year but it was simply a rerun to mediocrity for an ordinary player

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What’s Gallagher got? That one season when he scored goals for Palace but not really that many?
People put his form down to Chelsea last year but it was simply a rerun to mediocrity for an ordinary player
If "mediocrity" is a goal contribution every ~400 minutes while playing mostly in a double pivot in a dysfunctional side from a 22 year old then that's a pretty harsh definition if you ask me.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Exactly both of them very ordinary but to say Gallagher is better than Mct is false also
Putting aside who is actually better even if it's obvious to anyone who has watched football in their life, it's patently ludicrous to expect a comparable transfer fee for McT compared to Gallagher given the age difference and also the much larger amount of comically bad performances from McT that have accumulated through the years.

cyberman

If "mediocrity" is a goal contribution every ~400 minutes while playing mostly in a double pivot in a dysfunctional side from a 22 year old then that's a pretty harsh definition if you ask me.
Going by their average today, Gallagher will have scored 5/6 more league goals than Scott by the time he reaches Scott’s league appearances and a lot less goals overall in all competitions and you can’t get more dysfunctional than United over Scotts club career so far
What am I missing here?
I just looked at his stats for Palace, I’m seeing 8 (8!) goals and 3 assists.
You would swear Gallagher was some teenage Kaka who burst on the scene on loan as some sort of goal scoring maestro instead of the 23 year old we see before us

Tarrou

probably not no

I think he could be more effective in the right team/system though, as he has some great attributes

Scott needs to find the right club to flourish

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Putting aside who is actually better even if it's obvious to anyone who has watched football in their life, it's patently ludicrous to expect a comparable transfer fee for McT compared to Gallagher given the age difference and also the much larger amount of comically bad performances from McT that have accumulated through the years.
Is McTominay really that bad? He's never stood out to me as a player who routinely puts in 'comically bad performances'.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Going by their average today, Gallagher will have scored 5/6 more league goals than Scott by the time he reaches Scott’s league appearances and a lot less goals overall in all competitions and you can’t get more dysfunctional than United over Scotts club career so far
What am I missing here?
You would swear Gallagher was some teenage Kaka who burst in the scene in loan as some sort of goal scoring maestro instead of the 23 year old we see before us
You're missing what he does off ball. Again, he's not a top player who you can drop into any side, but I think he's good enough at specific things such that most top sides could use him. I simply don't think there is a top side that currently exists that could genuinely try to use McTominay.

Is McTominay really that bad? He's never stood out to me as a player who routinely puts in 'comically bad performances'.
I find it comically bad when a deep lying midfielder literally makes it his wont to hide in opposition pressing shadows. I'd struggle to think of any CM at a top club who has stolen a living to a greater extent if we're looking at performances only. Obviously he gets some leeway given his low wages but it always struck me as bizarre that he and Fred were lumped in together when for me Fred is very very obviously a class above.

Walters_19_MuFc

Well yes - it's an 8 in a pressing side where he doesn't have to be a creative lynchpin with his passing but has license to attack the penalty area. He'd fit in perfectly at Liverpool or any other team with attacking fullbacks.

The bigger issue with McTominay is it's borderline impossible to conceive of a role in a top team where he might be successful.
Whilst I wasn't asking you, I'd say that was McTominay's best position, too.

Reason being:

Eye for goal
Presses well
Drives with the ball
Aerial ability
Strong

Conor Gallagher only established himself as an 8 when he went to Palace. To me, that's his level, and in my opinion, I personally believe McTominay brings more to the table.

Idxomer

He doesn't, not like Maguire for example. His bad performances are mostly him hiding and not offering much on the ball. They don't stand out much unless he's in your team or you're focused mainly on him.

cyberman

You're missing what he does off ball. Again, he's not a top player who you can drop into any side, but I think he's good enough at specific things such that most top sides could use him. I simply don't think there is a top side that currently exists that could genuinely try to use McTominay.

I find it comically bad when a deep lying midfielder literally makes it his wont to hide in opposition pressing shadows. I'd struggle to think of any CM at a top club who has stolen a living to a greater extent if we're looking at performances only. Obviously he gets some leeway given his low wages but it always struck me as bizarre that he and Fred were lumped in together when for me Fred is very very obviously a class above.
I’m not missing what he does off the ball, he doesn’t do much off the ball. Even his assists are lacking for someone given so much freedom going forward
This is where these discussions fall apart though. Scott has a history of being part of peak McFred where they played versus the big sides to work hard, cover the defence and get the ball forward..and it worked. You saw it work due to the many times it ground Chelsea down to a halt. He may not be what top teams need or be the player for the top tier way of playing but there isn’t a hole in hell that Gallagher shows more than Scott did for that extended period of time in his career.
There’s literally nothing anybody can point to Gallagher about and say yep, that’s what makes him a player. He will never play for a team who wants to finish top 5/6.
Scott’s Euro campaign alone is better than anything Gallagher has done in his career

NotThatSoph

What am I missing here?
You would swear Gallagher was some teenage Kaka who burst on the scene on loan as some sort of goal scoring maestro instead of the 23 year old we see before us
8 goals in 34 PL matches is very good for a midfielder, and those 3 assists are as many as McTominay's whole career.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Reason being:

Eye for goal
Presses well
Drives with the ball
Aerial ability
Strong

Conor Gallagher only established himself as an 8 when he went to Palace. To me, that's his level, and in my opinion, I personally believe McTominay brings more to the table.
Well the problem is Gallagher is a shit passer and McTominay is still levels below that. No top team would choose him as an archetypal 8, it's just the reality.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not missing what he does off the ball, he doesn’t do much off the ball. Even his assists are lacking for someone given so much freedom going forward
This is where these discussions fall apart though. Scott has a history of being part of peak McFred where they played versus the big sides to work hard, cover the defence and get the ball forward..and it worked. You saw it work due to the many times it ground Chelsea down to a halt. He may not be what top teams need or be the player for the top tier way of playing but there isn’t a hole in hell that Gallagher shows more than Scott did for that extended period of time in his career.
There’s literally nothing anybody can point to Gallagher about and say yep, that’s what makes him a player. He will never play for a team who wants to finish top 5/6.
Scott’s Euro campaign alone is better than anything Gallagher has done in his career
He doesn't do much off the ball? He's already an elite pressing midfielder. Why are you bringing up assists when discussing off ball play (also Gallagher is comfortably better than McT by just about any passing metric).

Again, the point remains that there is no compelling argument for McT over Gallagher with the appeal to authority of team success. Ignoring the fact that every single transfer window every manager you had tried their damnedest to replace McTominay but ran into the Glazer penny-pinching machine - if you are honestly trying to argue that he was a key driver of your team's success and not a passenger then the good news is I have some beachfront property in Nevada to sell you!

It's not a coincidence that as soon as United got a competent modern manager in McT's minutes nosedived. 35 years ago he'd be an asset, the reality is that today he's a liability. Gallagher for all his warts has a path to success that McT just doesn't at this point.

caid

Reason being:

Eye for goal
Presses well
Drives with the ball
Aerial ability
Strong

A lot of his goals are important goals if memory serves too. We've wasted him a bit but he'll do well at the likes of Palace too. Dont think theres much between them. Gallagher might have a higher resale value in 5 years i guess.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You do an impressive job of overrating every Chelsea player that ever gets brought up here, I'll give you that