Is Scott McTominay a better footballer than Conor Gallagher?

There isn't a top manager working today who wants a player like McTominay in their team - apart from maybe Antonio Conte.
There aint a top manager who wants Gallagher either in fairness, hence his links with West Ham & Everton. Hardly surprising as he’s finished 12th with Palace & then inexplicably helped Chelsea to the same 12th placed finish last season.

Average as they come.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
For a mid table team, having both as part of a three, a DM plus McT and Gallagher, would actually be a good set up, and well balanced. I see Scott as a versatile box to box. He’s decent at defending and provides a reasonable goal threat. Someone called him a Swiss Army knife which is a perfect description. Okay at lots of things, not great at any one thing. So in a team with well defined positions, he’ll never excel, but as a Jack of all trades box to box, he’d do well for a midtable side not expecting a lot of possession.

RVN1991

Gallagher's perfomances for Crystal Palace were better than anything I have seen from Mctominay even if it was more of a purple patch. Not only is he better but he is significantly younger as welll which is going to be a factor in the transfer fee.

dinostar77

I'd re-word the question. If you were to put mctominay and gallacher in a 3 man midfield. What player would you need to sign to make up the defecencies of both players?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Yes.

However the problem with Mctominay is that he cannot be relied upon as he's injured quite a lot!

Roboc7

I can see why likes of West Ham would be willing to pay more for Gallagher, few years younger, more potential and his season at Palace will be big selling point even if not done a lot since.

I can see both struggling to live up to expectations if someone were to pay 40m. Mctominay especially will need to score goals as his disappearing act won’t be tolerated at likes of West Ham.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Completely different types of player so it's really almost impossible to say.

I think they're both very system dependent too. If anything it's basically a different but equal type thing.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yes, a Liverpool side where the technical deficiencies of their midfielders have been extremely well documented? He'd bring more to the table for that side than Henderson, who's fallen off a cliff to the extent that they are having to move TAA into midfield thus nullifying a huge advantage they'd had previously
You're vastly overselling the technical deficiencies of Liverpool if you seriously think Gallagher would play there. They haven't even been that style of midfield grafters in 4/5 years now anyways (ask any Liverpool fan here), but even so players like Wijnaldum and Henderson were vastly better than anything Gallagher has ever shown, and their signings so far this summer put him to shame as well (and are also quite technical)

marktan

Gallagher is more comfortable on the ball and more technical, but Mctominay is a different player.

The comparison of Rice and Soucek for West Ham fans is a good one - in fact it's a very good one. Mctominays strengths lie in strong work rate, imposes himself on the opposition, strong tackling, and like Soucek he can score goals when in the opposition box.

Gallagher isn't exactly like Rice but if you get both for £80m and have £20m left over, you're doing better than buying the next two Paquetas for some poorer league for the same price.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Different players. McT is better away from goal while Gallagher is better closer to goal. Gallagher can press all day while McT is better in air and physical attributes. Gallagher is a better passer . McT can also be a DM.

For West Ham McT is a better fit .

Paqueta, McT and Edson Alvarez is a better unit than Paqueta, Gallagher and Alvarez. McT can also play as DM .

Assuming they will sign Alvarez or one more DM.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not surprising to see as you say. But to make a case for Gallagher he did play some games as an am at Palace which would affect his defensive stats.
Gallagher played as a 10 for most of that year for Palace - he was the guy leading the press up the field.

Would be curious to see how they compare based on last season where Gallagher actually played in midfield regularly.
Fair point both. I compared Gallagher’s last season with each of McTominay’s last two seasons. Gallagher does show a bit better defensively but honestly show as pretty average midfielders with some good attributes.

I actually think they compliment each other pretty well.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You're vastly overselling the technical deficiencies of Liverpool if you seriously think Gallagher would play there. They haven't even been that style of midfield grafters in 4/5 years now anyways (ask any Liverpool fan here), but even so players like Wijnaldum and Henderson were vastly better than anything Gallagher has ever shown, and their signings so far this summer put him to shame as well (and are also quite technical)
For what it's worth, Gallagher has shown much more to date than Wijnaldum did before moving there.

Liverpool should have kept some of that steel in their midfield anyway, they started to decline when they bought Thiago.

Idxomer

For what it's worth, Gallagher has shown much more to date than Wijnaldum did before moving there.

Liverpool should have kept some of that steel in their midfield anyway, they started to decline when they bought Thiago.
Wijnaldum scored 30 goals in his last two seasons before his move to Liverpool. He also won the Eredivisie and around Gallagher's age was a starter in the Netherlands team that got 3rd in the World Cup.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Both not good enough for top team, will be good enough for midtable clubs.

justsomebloke

It's much harder

- you have to consistantly play at a higher level to match your teammates levels, otherwise you'd stick out like a sore thumb (and I realise that people aren't fans of McT, but he's obviously had very good games for us in the past and it's not like he's looked ridiculously out of place as a Manchester United players where others have)
- you have the added pressure of playing at one of the biggest clubs in the world
- you have a higher expectations (winning every game, winning trophies etc.)
- Opposition players raise there game vs. us/ more bigger games etc.
There's a difference between expectations being higher and it being more difficult. And McTominay does stick out like a sore thumb, for the most part.

In any case, that is moot, since they're being compared valuation-wise in the context of a transfer to a smaller club. So for that point to have any validity, even if you're right, you'd have to assume not just that he's actually better than he's been looking on a big team, but that this will translate to a higher level of play once he moves to a smaller club (because playing there is easier). It's known what Gallagher can do at a smaller club, because we've all already seen it. We don't know what McTominay can do though.

justsomebloke

Gallagher is more comfortable on the ball and more technical, but Mctominay is a different player.

The comparison of Rice and Soucek for West Ham fans is a good one - in fact it's a very good one. Mctominays strengths lie in strong work rate, imposes himself on the opposition, strong tackling, and like Soucek he can score goals when in the opposition box.

Gallagher isn't exactly like Rice but if you get both for £80m and have £20m left over, you're doing better than buying the next two Paquetas for some poorer league for the same price.
"Gallagher isn't exactly like Rice"? Well, no. In fact, he's pretty much the exact opposite of Rice, in almost every conceivable way. Where he adds value is when you have control of the ball in the final third - he's a quintessential attacking midfielder. More an attacker than a midfielder really.

justsomebloke

Fair point both. I compared Gallagher’s last season with each of McTominay’s last two seasons. Gallagher does show a bit better defensively but honestly show as pretty average midfielders with some good attributes.

I actually think they compliment each other pretty well.
I suspect you're not meaning to endorse their ability to say nice things about each other, and that "complement" is the word you're looking for there? If your point is that they would make for a good midfield pairing. Except the diagram doesn't really support that, given that neither of them do progressive/forward passes, which you need your midfield to do. If your point isn't actually that they're a good fit together but that they're pretty similar, it doesn't really support that either - it indicates that Gallagher is good at carrying the ball and making key passes, while McT isn't, and that McT is a good duel player while Gallagher isn't. That translates to two really different midfielders.

marktan

"Gallagher isn't exactly like Rice"? Well, no. In fact, he's pretty much the exact opposite of Rice, in almost every conceivable way. Where he adds value is when you have control of the ball in the final third - he's a quintessential attacking midfielder. More an attacker than a midfielder really.
True though the point is that you could combine the two to reasonably good effect. Like at West Ham Rice would often push forward with the ball whilst Soucek would sit back. And vice versa. Gallagher defensively is not bad at all so it's a setup that could work for West Ham.

justsomebloke

True though the point is that you could combine the two to reasonably good effect. Like at West Ham Rice would often push forward with the ball whilst Soucek would sit back. And vice versa. Gallagher defensively is not bad at all so it's a setup that could work for West Ham.
Possibly, but it would seem to me a misuse of Gallagher to play him as an #8 - where he has real quality is in and around the penalty area.

All in all, I think it's hard to see him as a good fit for West Ham - how does he fit into their style? From what I've seen, he's at his best when his team is in control of the ball in the attacking third, and he's allowed to wander. That was exactly what he got at Viera's Crystal Palace, where he was very much the heart and soul of their attack. But West Ham's very direct attacking style and low line doesn't give him that at all. Presumably it'd fit McTominay much better. Wouldn't be the first time West Ham signed a player who doesn't fit them though.

Last edited:

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Neither of them are great players. I would rate them to be of similar level, though they're still quite different as player types so depending on what kind of player is needed one can be considered 'better' than the other.

Either way I still think Gallagher should be worth a bit more on the transfer market, mainly for the fact he's three years younger (so still has some room for improvement in his locker) and he plays for England which for some reason often seems to make player prices go rather crazy.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wijnaldum scored 30 goals in his last two seasons before his move to Liverpool. He also won the Eredivisie and around Gallagher's age was a starter in the Netherlands team that got 3rd in the World Cup.
Well, that's pretty stupid by me. Meant it more narrowly, e.g. Gallagher's season at Palace was better than what Wijnaldum did at Newcastle, but that's a pretty narrow argument that holds water like a sieve.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There's something wrong with this but I just can't quite put my finger on it.
William Wallace is putting himself and the band back together to correct that poster with broadswords

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Just having had a steak and ale pie does a lot for a player's value IMO.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
Gallagher has an unusual set of strengths and weaknesses which made him a perfect fit for Palace, but difficult to fit into a top team.
But at 23 he can get better and round out his game.

mctominay is an adequate lump.

OverratedOpinion

Gallagher has an unusual set of strengths and weaknesses which made him a perfect fit for Palace, but difficult to fit into a top team.

He is legitimately rubbish.

An "honest pro" who's career can be someone who gets relegated 4 times or will hang around a mid table team for years cause they always think they have bigger problem. Useless

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Both would be brilliant for West Ham. Or any further premier league team Moyes manages.

Actually Spurs have been linked to Gallagher for about six months so think they'll make a move in the summer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

His already better than the version we saw at Palace. He’s worked on his technical competence and it’s clear he’s improved that side of his game this season without sacrificing the usual bread and butter you get from him.

OverratedOpinion

His already better than the version we saw at Palace. He’s worked on his technical competence and it’s clear he’s improved that side of his game this season without sacrificing the usual bread and butter you get from him.
He is bang average though isn't he?

Not to be unkind but he would never even be a player you thought about for more than a second if Chelsea were not in a transition that isn't going great.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Does he lose possession as much with Chelsea as he did tonight for England? Seemed incapable of actually keeping the ball

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He is bang average though isn't he?

Not to be unkind but he would never even be a player you thought about for more than a second if Chelsea were not in a transition that isn't going great.
I don’t think he is mate. This is the same cycle of arguments I used to have with people about Mount after England games. He plays average for England. People call him shit. Comes back to Chelsea and plays well. No one notices except Chelsea fans. Goes back to England, plays average and people call him shit again.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Does he lose possession as much with Chelsea as he did tonight for England? Seemed incapable of actually keeping the ball
Not really. I only watched the second half today. He wasn’t good, but then again no one was, but Gallagher in particular was bad. I don’t know what Southgate was asking him to do. He fulfils a very particular role at Chelsea and he’s good at it.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Not really. I only watched the second half today. He wasn’t good, but then again no one was, but Gallagher in particular was bad. I don’t know what Southgate was asking him to do. He fulfils a very particular role at Chelsea and he’s good at it.
Fair enough. I can’t see the balance in a midfield of Rice-Bellingham-Gallagher. Mind you, I’m probably not the only one

OverratedOpinion

I don’t think he is mate. This is the same cycle of arguments I used to have with people about Mount after England games. He plays average for England. People call him shit. Comes back to Chelsea and plays well. No one notices except Chelsea fans. Goes back to England, plays average and people call him shit again.
Mount did it in better teams at Chelsea tbf. I don't mean to be unkind cause my team is too but does he not just seem like a player who could do it at a mid table team

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Fair enough. I can’t see the balance in a midfield of Rice-Bellingham-Gallagher. Mind you, I’m probably not the only one
Under a different coach, I could that midfield 3 working. On paper at least it’s a okay-ish balanced midfield, though I think Mainoo is a better talent and a better fit in that midfielder

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Mount did it in better teams at Chelsea tbf. I don't mean to be unkind cause my team is too but does he not just seem like a player who could do it at a mid table team
Yeah that’s true. He is playing in worse team than Mount. I didn’t think you were being harsh or anything. I wasn’t trying to come across defensive. I just disagree with you that he’s rubbish.

OverratedOpinion

Yeah that’s true. He is playing in worse team than Mount. I didn’t think you were being harsh or anything. I wasn’t trying to come across defensive. I just disagree with you that he’s rubbish.
Okay I'll take a step back on "rubbish". I mean rubbish in the context of how I've seen he has been talked about as a key part of a Chelsea team and a potential England starter.

He would be a rubbish England starting midfielder and is rubbish compared to key Chelsea players for the last 20 years. He is a perfectly fine mid table premier league midfielder as such the description of a "rubbish football player" is admittedly harsh.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Okay I'll take a step back on "rubbish". I mean rubbish in the context of how I've seen he has been talked about as a key part of a Chelsea team and a potential England starter.

He would be a rubbish England starting midfielder and is rubbish compared to key Chelsea players for the last 20 years. He is a perfectly fine mid table premier league midfielder as such the description of a "rubbish football player" is admittedly harsh.
I would still disagree, in so much that it is unfair to compare him to past great Chelsea midfielders, because many midfielders better than would come off looking bad if compared to Lampard, Essien, Kante etc.

But I will concede that when Chelsea get back to competing near the top of the table, Gallagher will be not one of the starters to get us there. I think he’s as a rotational option for a top side and I have no problem with him starting for England occasionally. He’s good enough to do that.

TheBatman

To answer the question. Yes he is. We've seen all season for United and Scotland that he is a great finisher

As a Scotland fan I wouldn't swap McTominay for Gallagher. We also have the likes of Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn and Ferguson.

I wouldn't swap Gallagher for all of the aforementioned midfielders, actually.

Chelsea were robbed when they let Gilmour leave for £9m.