Is Southgate underrated by the CAF?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
The same Italy side literally limped to a second place finish behind Switzerland in the WC qualifiers within four months of that final, and then went on to lose a play-off, at home, to North Macedonia to fail to qualify for the World Cup.

"Clearly superior" my arse.
As I told you earlier. There is nothing you post on this topic that I will take seriously after you blatantly implied tactics are the only reason Croatia kicked England out in Russia

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
As I told you earlier. There is nothing you post on this topic that I will take seriously after you blatantly implied tactics are the only reason Croatia kicked England out in Russia
I didn't say they were the only reason, I said Southgate made a mistake with them.

Also, you realise I can just go "I can't take you seriously when you present an objectively flawed Italy side as some sort of invincible footballing behemoth"

AshRK

It's hard to make an argument for another national team clearly having more talent. I think England are minimum top 3.

England are loaded with talent, but Southgate will let them down again.
Agree with this.

Red00012

Great logic. And one week ago we was linked with him. Getting relegated with the team he managed was expected, same with Burnley this year. Doesn't mean the managers are "shit"
You should probably google Middlesbrough prior to him where they were in Europe.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Watched the Overlap episode where the panel (Neville, Keane, Wright, Scott) all gave thier opinions on the (frightening) rumours of Southgate and United.
Basically thier praise for Gareth-of-the-Ingurlands boiled down to appearance.
He 'looks the part' was the general opinion. Nothing about his ability as a manager. His tactical acumen, his (negative ) footballing philosophy. Nope, just looks.(Wright seemed to be impressed with Southgate's beard).

It was all Abit embarrassing.

Laurencio

Watched the Overlap episode where the panel (Neville, Keane, Wright, Scott) all gave thier opinions on the (frightening) rumours of Southgate and United.
He 'looks the part' was the general opinion. Nothing about his ability as a manager. His tactical acumen, his (negative ) footballing philosophy. Nope, just looks.(Wright seemed to be impressed with Southgate's beard).

It's quite telling that whenever you have a conversation about Southgate it always boils down to "well he looks good in a waistcoat".

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

It was a fecking ridiculous conversation. It’s a ludicrous suggestion and they were all discussing it like it makes perfect fecking sense. Felt like I was in the twilight zone.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It was a fecking ridiculous conversation. It’s a ludicrous suggestion and they were all discussing it like it makes perfect fecking sense. Felt like I was in the twilight zone.
It's one of the few downsides about podcasts/punditry when it involves ex-players and managers. Barely any of them are willing to call out one of their pals.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Yeah I mentioned this in the Overlap thread, Ince basically says he looks better than Ten Hag and his "massive turtlenecks". It was frankly bizarre.

No analysis whatsoever of his qualities as manager, or tactical acumen. Just sartorial vibes.

If we hire this chancer I'll give up watching us until he's gone. Which won't be long.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hire Allegri. He can really rock a suit and "looks like a big club manager" was one of the criteria Milan used to hire him back in the day, I shit you not :lol:

Lucky for them he was actually good at the job

Crimson King

Yeah I mentioned this in the Overlap thread, Ince basically says he looks better than Ten Hag and his "massive turtlenecks". It was frankly bizarre.

No analysis whatsoever of his qualities as manager, or tactical acumen. Just sartorial vibes.
I quite like EtH's turtlenecks...I'd take those over Southgate's waistcoats anyday of the week.

AndyMUFC

I don't think the England sides he got to the semi-final and final were anywhere near as talented as people make out, but this team he has now should absolutely be looking at winning a tournament.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I don't think the England sides he got to the semi-final and final were anywhere near as talented as people make out, but this team he has now should absolutely be looking at winning a tournament.
We have no defence, which will severely hamper our chances of winning anything. Our (starting) midfield is quality with Mainoo now added, back up options less so. Forward options, however, are really good.

Pughnichi

Southgate is very good at bringing a group together all pulling in the right direction. He has made international football enjoyable for the players and they seemingly enjoy being away representing england. This can’t be underestimated. Fair play to him

Southgate is very bad on the tactical side, team selection and in game management. This is inexcusable for the talent he has at his disposal

AnotherLondonManc

We have no defence, which will severely hamper our chances of winning anything. Our (starting) midfield is quality with Mainoo now added, back up options less so. Forward options, however, are really good.
You're definitely underrating us on paper here. The only position we're somewhat lackluster in is in goal. And Pickford is a good enough international goalkeeper.

With everyone fit, you're looking at a back 4 including Walker/TAA, Stones, and Shaw. That's near enough world class quality in 3 of the 4 positions. Then, there's ample selection for a high quality center back to go along side them.

Our 'backup' midfield would also walk into most international starting XIs. Madison, Gallagher and Palmer are all top players on good form. We're only lacking a little depth at CDM, but for an international side, we're pretty spoiled for choice.

No need to cover out forward options, they're probably the best in the world.

Anything less than a Championship this summer should be regarded as a failure and should end any Southgate to Man Utd speculation

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Southgate is very good at bringing a group together all pulling in the right direction. He has made international football enjoyable for the players and they seemingly enjoy being away representing england. This can’t be underestimated. Fair play to him

Southgate is very bad on the tactical side, team selection and in game management. This is inexcusable for the talent he has at his disposal
Do you think that's down to Southgate? The footballing landscape has changed a lot this past decades - even sworn enemy clubs have players high-fiving and extremely pally pally with one another before, during and after major games, which was something unheard of during Fergie's era.

The bother previous England managers had to sort out in camp had a great deal to do with the deep-seated rivalries a lot of the players brought over from club football with them. With that mostly fading from the game, the camaraderie element of 'all being in this together' can flourish far easier than if the players are seeing half the camp as their sworn enemies whom they'll resume 'war' with the moment the international commitments are out of the way.

Southgate succeeded Allardyce, who is well know for quashing issues himself, so would he have done a worse job of unifying the players in a much softer environment than that which previous England managers had to put up with a decade plus ago?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Under-rated , no. But the level of shit he gets is way over the top. Deserves a crack at this tournament (just) which will define his time as England boss.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s underrated by us because he’s rubbish. What has he achieved in club football to get a chance at managing England? Didn’t he relegate Middlesbrough?

DJ_21

Under-rated , no. But the level of shit he gets is way over the top. Deserves a crack at this tournament (just) which will define his time as England boss.
He’s had a crack at a few tournaments and messed them up when we had the best and easiest chance to win them.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
He’s had a crack at a few tournaments and messed them up when we had the best and easiest chance to win them.
Your opinion.

We were in a huge hole pre Southgate. A mixture of him restoring a feel good factor prior to a big influx of superb talent now has us expecting to win / make the final in this one. New expectations, probably a step to far for him but let's see.

Spot on. It should. But people should stop acting like its a given. Its one of 3 or 4 of possible out right winners. Not an "it must win or the boss must be shit" type assembly.

Mike Smalling

He’s underrated by us because he’s rubbish. What has he achieved in club football to get a chance at managing England? Didn’t he relegate Middlesbrough?
This is the main point. You could debate his England achievements till the cows come home, but even if I was being extremely generous, it still wouldn't be enough to deserve the United job. He could win the Euros this summer, and I still wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

The guy hasn't managed a club side in a decade and a half, where his last achievement was being fired after a relegation. He's simply not fit for purpose.

Facing Italy in 2021 was far easier than facing that Argentina side in 2022 would have been.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The Argentina side who were pushed by a second string France to penalties and should have list before spot kicks. The same France whose captain Lloris stated a day go that the French thanked the heavens when Kane missed the penalty because they were physically spent and certain England was set to embarass them extra time.

You seem to have this bizarre idea that that Italy 2021 side were some kind of world beating team. We all have our opinions I guess.
Rather I'm of the opinion that they were comfortably the best performing team through out Euro 2020 strictly and deservedly won it. You are the one with the belief England are this world beating team hindered by a Ted Lasso since as far back as 2018.

DJ_21

Croatia were 4 times better than your lot even after playing extra time. How you can think facing them was "easy" is beyond belief....
Didn’t say would be easy but it was the easiest route. That’s the main point. Think in the other halve you had teams like Spain etc.

caid

I feel like the recent positivity and rumours are part of the usual boom / bust cycle with england in football tournaments. Short of winning it people will be slaughtering him and calling him a knob in a couple of months time. People will say he's lucky to get a job at Crystal Palace when its done.
Thats my hope anyway because hes not very good.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's only bad at in game management. Tactically he's ok and his team selection - both in terms of call ups and starting lineups, have generally been fine. Off the top of my head I can't remember England starting a game with serious tactical/lineup issues that needed to be fixed. In fact, more often than not his initial game plans have been spot on
I think that also at CB people mention that England don't have much talent there but it's not true. Konsa,
Think he's set to make the squad for the Euros at this point, so hardly shut out. The other 2 are kids in their first full PL season...