Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

Superunknown

He's a quality player but that miss...fecking hell. He'll be replaying that one over and over for years. I still don't get how he did it. Must've just been thinking too hard or too little, or had too much time to over-plan what he was going to do. Made an absolute mess of it.

It wasn't his fault that City lost, however. Guardiola's choice of formation and tactics + having a hit-and-miss Jesus up front didn't really help and were more to blame.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Thought he was actually good tonight, as against Madrid he was our most menacing forward player. The miss was just something that will always be part of his game, unfortunately, and it came at the worst possible time.

Superunknown

Thought he was actually good tonight, as against Madrid he was our most menacing forward player. The miss was just something that will always be part of his game, unfortunately, and it came at the worst possible time.
It's that thing where had Sterling scored instead of missed, most people would've said that he had a man of the match performance. Only City player aside from KDB who looked interested.

Hulme91

I'll go even further. Replace Kane with Greenwood. Kane is on a decline.
Kane is scoring at a 1 in 1 rate for England
20 goals in 20 games over a two year period
He's not being dropped for a teenage kid who doesn't even play in his position

Djemba-Djemba

I've said it before, probably in this thread.

But I've never seen anyone who scores as many goals as Sterling does and yet I'd still consider him a thoroughly average finisher.

It's bizarre.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This guy inflated and stat padded his numbers this season in meaningless games toward the end of the season in a few thumpings yet bottles when it mattered.

His habit of missing loads of easy chances before scoring was always coming back to bite him in a big game where opponents would capitalize on their chances.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's that thing where had Sterling scored instead of missed, most people would've said that he had a man of the match performance. Only City player aside from KDB who looked interested.
But he didn’t fecking score though did he? And the game is a results based business.

Superunknown

Make it 2-2 and the entire dynamic and psychology of the game changes. It's that simple.
It was 1-1 at one point in the game and Lyon scored to make it 2-1. So, clearly it isn't that simple. By your logic, with the game at an equal footing, City would have gone on to win. It was on equal footing at 0-0 before the first goal and 1-1 after City get the equaliser, yet City conceded. They still conceded 3 goals against Lyon. It's not Sterling's fault that the tactics were a complete mess.

He totally should have buried that chance. No question about it. It's awful and he should feel bad about that, and he probably will. Because what player really wants to feel responsible for their team crashing out of the Champions League and not make the semis. But, it wasn't his fault that the team "lost". It was his fault for the game not being 2-2 with his chance, but it's not his fault that the team went 0-1 down, 2-1 down or 3-1 down. That all isn't because of his one miss. That's down to crap defending and crap tactics, with a crap formation to boot.

TsuWave

Glorified Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Seriously, shocking miss. Still bagged an assist and I don’t think he was anywhere near the biggest issue for City. He’ll replay that miss in his head for a while though.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is there a longer gif of the miss including Guardiola's full reaction?

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
On topic: Best in the league? :lol: Not even top 5 mids in the premier league. Rated very highly on here and bluemoon because he’s English.
First touch:
Muller > Sterling :lol:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
AKs are quite accurate. Otherwise, agreed :lol:
Not sure about that having shot both. AK is very hard on recoil due to 762 calibre round but it is extremely reliable. M4 uses 556 which very even and nice though I shot SA80 (which is extremely unreliable) not M4.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Not a natural finisher at all. I remember Neville doing analysis on him where he stated he could go to the next level if he put the hours in in training.

You can tell he has to use a few seconds to think about what he wants to do with the ball compared to a natural player who already knows before he gets it.